Good questions to ask players? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Good questions to ask players?

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Hey guys!!! Great to be back! :woohoo:

I'm going to the Nottingham Challenger this week and I was wondering what are some good questions to ask players?

Thanks.

:wavey:

federer express
04-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Anyway, I'm going to the Nottingham Challenger, an intimate event, and I was wondering what sort of things you can ask some of the players to get a bit of a conversation going? Obviously some players are more talkative than others (as I have found on past experience) but, if you have talked to a player in the past, what sort of things have you asked / said?

Thanks.

dont recommend what i once said to an england cricketer. told him he didn't get to go on the tour to india because despite his talent he was too inconsistent and unreliable.
he was :fiery: with me after that :haha:

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 04:44 PM
dont recommend what i once said to an england cricketer. told him he didn't get to go on the tour to india because despite his talent he was too inconsistent and unreliable.
he was :fiery: with me after that :haha:

:haha: :haha:

You absolute ass!!!

I'm thinking I shouldn't ask Arvind: "When are you going to hold the racquet by the handle and not the frame?" :tape:

federer express
04-17-2005, 04:46 PM

You absolute ass!!!

I'm thinking I shouldn't ask Arvind: "When are you going to hold the racquet by the handle and not the frame?" :tape:

just ask arvind why he bothers playimg when he has the physical strength of a new-born baby! :devil: a stiff breeze (not even that stiff actually) would send him flying!

Dutchie
04-17-2005, 04:48 PM

Anyway, I'm going to the Nottingham Challenger, an intimate event, and I was wondering what sort of things you can ask some of the players to get a bit of a conversation going? Obviously some players are more talkative than others (as I have found on past experience) but, if you have talked to a player in the past, what sort of things have you asked / said?

Thanks.

Chat to them like you talk to other people. :rolleyes:
What else do you want to do!

Experimentee
04-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm pretty bad at that too. I really dont know what to say so if I want to talk to a player I'll usually ask for an autograph or a pic, as an excuse to approach them, then from there say something like 'how do you like Australia' or 'are you in the doubles event too'. Pretty lame I know, so I will probably benefit from this thread too.

federer express
04-17-2005, 04:50 PM
give them a tip on how to play their next match! :p

Dutchie
04-17-2005, 04:51 PM
give them a tip on how to play their next match! :p

I'm sure they will love you for that :p

Experimentee
04-17-2005, 04:52 PM

You absolute ass!!!

You should ask that, it'll be hilarious :lol:

federer express
04-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I'm sure they will love you for that :p

they might if they had never seen the player before and you had. or if you spoke sensibly. but you're probably right. thry wouldn't but who cares...it would be cool to do :)

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 04:56 PM

That is easy to say right now...some of the ones I have encountered have had their heads shoved so far up their asses they couldn't see the light of day through a magnifying glass.

joeb_uk
04-17-2005, 04:57 PM
no point going up to them and talking about random crap is there really, i think unless you have something you want to know or have a purpose to chatting to them ie if they are playing doubles, whats their next event then its ok. But i think they would get pissed off if you just want a random chat :D i mean the amount of idiots that would go up to them and talk about crap must get annoying

federer express
04-17-2005, 04:58 PM
That is easy to say right now...some of the ones I have encountered have had their heads shoved so far up their asses they couldn't see the light of day through a magnifying glass.

only one i met like that was jeremy bates. sampras stopped took his photo with me, gave me his autograph and spoke for a minute before he played his match that day. bates at the same event refused to give his autograph until after his match. so afterwards i found him and offered him my programme, before taking it away and saying 'actually i dont really want it!'

Fee
04-17-2005, 05:03 PM
I usually say... 'hey little boy, want some candy?' and then wiggle my eyebrows at them. Works every time.

Eclectic Goddess
04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
I usually say... 'hey little boy, want some candy?' and then wiggle my eyebrows at them. Works every time.
Can I borrow that line?

Lines I've used to begin conversations...

"Good luck in your match against (insert next opponent here). I'll be rooting for you."

"That was a great match against (insert opponent's name here). You were serving really well." (Obviously don't say this to someone who lost that match, and don't compliment part of their game unless you actually know enough to follow it up.)

"I'm so glad you're playing doubles with (insert partner's name here). I can't wait to see you guys play."

"You're such a brat!" (Okay, this one is risky, and only works if the brat in question is in a good mood, but it's worked for me twice. Once, the player stopped, cocked his head, and said, "What is 'brat'?" It was cute as hell.)

I've also gotten players to stop and talk just by greeting them in their native language. It's not hard to learn a few words, and none of them have ever seemed put off by the fact that I don't speak it fluently. They appreciate the effort.

Of course, some players just don't want or have time to talk. If you say something and they don't seem to want to stop, let them go.

416_Life
04-17-2005, 07:53 PM
Usual mention a good result that they've had. Like last year during the first Sunday at TMS Toronto, I asked Gaudio if he thought he could make it 4 finals in a row. He started talking a bit to me and autographed some pictures I had of him. And another thing, tell a player "Best of luck against (name of player they don't play in the next round)" and they'll usually make a joke. It happened against Roddick, and he was like "I don't think I play him...." and he laughed :). Best of luck during the tournament.

Fee
04-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes, fellow Goddess, you can use my line, although I've never actually said that as a first line. I think I've said it to Robby, Graydon and a few others as a joke long after I already knew them. I did once ask Robert Kendrick if he wanted to sit on my lap, but only because there were no other seats in the box and the fact that he is so big and tall made it an obvious attempt at humor.

In all seriousness, the easiest thing to say is 'welcome to nottingham' or 'welcome to England' 'thanks for playing here, I am glad that I got to see you play' or something like that. I know it sounds corny, but I also know that these guys are in a different city every damn week and they really do like to feel appreciated and respected. I'd tell you to hug them, but you're a guy and it might be a bit weird... And if you need to ask their name, say hello first, and then say 'please tell me your name, I don't want to get it wrong.'

If you talk to Gimelstob, tell him Fee says hello (he'll probably make some comment about me being a tennis freak who spends far too much time on the internet....).

Devotee
04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Fee says hello (he'll probably make some comment about me being a tennis freak who spends far too much time on the internet....).

Hey, Fee! :wavey:

If I ever do some name-dropping myself and use your name, how exactly do you pronounce your name? Also, is that your first name?

Fee
04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Devotee, there's almost no real benefit in mentioning my name to anyone, anywhere, ever (especially JMG).

It's pronounced Feeeeeee, and yes it's my first name.

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Hmmm...not sure that that would go down too well considering I'm a guy!! :lol: Arvind might take anything these days though! :haha:

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Can I borrow that line?

Lines I've used to begin conversations...

"Good luck in your match against (insert next opponent here). I'll be rooting for you."

"That was a great match against (insert opponent's name here). You were serving really well." (Obviously don't say this to someone who lost that match, and don't compliment part of their game unless you actually know enough to follow it up.)

"I'm so glad you're playing doubles with (insert partner's name here). I can't wait to see you guys play."

"You're such a brat!" (Okay, this one is risky, and only works if the brat in question is in a good mood, but it's worked for me twice. Once, the player stopped, cocked his head, and said, "What is 'brat'?" It was cute as hell.)

I've also gotten players to stop and talk just by greeting them in their native language. It's not hard to learn a few words, and none of them have ever seemed put off by the fact that I don't speak it fluently. They appreciate the effort.

Of course, some players just don't want or have time to talk. If you say something and they don't seem to want to stop, let them go.

Thanks - that was very helpful. :yeah:

I have chatted to players in the past but I've never used a particular approach. Some have been very friendly (Delgado and Marray) and a couple completely disinterested - maybe my aproach was wrong and that is why I ask the whole question for the thread.

Some of you guys have a particular method that works well most of the time. Of course you have to remember that the guys i will be meeting are players that have never really seen the top level of the game and therefore their performances mean so much more to them. That is why I am particularly interested in ways to get them to talk - I'm not a social outcast!!!! :lol:

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 09:30 PM
In all seriousness, the easiest thing to say is 'welcome to nottingham' or 'welcome to England' 'thanks for playing here, I am glad that I got to see you play' or something like that. I know it sounds corny, but I also know that these guys are in a different city every damn week and they really do like to feel appreciated and respected.

Thanks Fee - I might try that approach :yeah:

I'd tell you to hug them, but you're a guy and it might be a bit weird...

:haha: Hmmm - if things go really wrong maybe that should be a last desperate effort?!!! :haha: :haha:

If you talk to Gimelstob, tell him Fee says hello (he'll probably make some comment about me being a tennis freak who spends far too much time on the internet....).

:haha: He is going so maybe I'll bump into him - he'll be one that I recognise easily.

Kristen
04-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Agreed :D
If it's someone who has seen you around a fair bit, you could just say "Hey, how're you going?" or, if they arent australian and are likely to answer "by car". "How are you?" "When are you going to improve your DC stats Jurgen?" (Ahh the one I will always think, but never ask) I've sometimes said stuff like 'have you had much of a chance to get out and see some of the city, blah blah... etc.' Like Fee said, just general stuff to make them feel welcome :) :wavey:

My problem, or is it an advantage?, is that I don't think too much before talking to the players. Otherwise I'd just freak out. (THIS is why I'm often in the 'times you have embarrassed yourself' thread) Just remember that they're just regular people and whatever you say will be fine :yeah:. I started talking to Oliver Marach this year, basically caught him after a qualifying match in Melbourne for a photo - which got him to stop for at least a few seconds, and allowed me to initiate a conversation... you played really well... so what do you think about your chances for DC...etc etc...

bad gambler
04-18-2005, 02:03 AM
why did you decide to play tennis?

TheBoiledEgg
04-18-2005, 02:28 AM
tell one of the players "I'm related to Robin Hood" :lol:
that might get interesting :rolls:

joseluismb
04-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Since I speak Spanish, Portuguesse, and English, and I go to a lot of Futures and Challengers, I speak with players who are not ATP ranked yet and some who are as high as 100 as well.

And I have never asked one an autograph LOL. But I talk with them ALL the time... I evene work as in interpreter sometimes...

Becarina
04-18-2005, 06:05 AM

I asked this to Andy and he said yes, then I was stumped. What do you do then? ;)

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 06:10 AM
jez, offer to show them the Nottingham nightlife.

Horatio Caine
04-18-2005, 11:04 AM
:haha: Great stuff guys - thanks. :)

federer express
04-18-2005, 11:28 AM
jez, offer to show them the Nottingham nightlife.

they will get killed! :eek: lots of shootings in nottingham...

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 11:30 AM

That depends on where you go doesn't it.

federer express
04-18-2005, 11:32 AM
That depends on where you go doesn't it.

i imagine so. not been out there actually. just saw a news report on it the other week where it was talking about the number of murders there where no charges are ever brought because the police are so massively understaffed and underfunded!

Horatio Caine
04-18-2005, 12:31 PM

GWH is right - it very much depends on where you go. The city centre is fine - there are loads of people around, certainly up to 3/4am, and from about 8:30am. However, you are more likely to get attacked if you are stupid enough to walk on your own at night and in areas that are not well lit. It is the same for many areas of the UK - Nottingham is more highly documented because the police force is notoriously sh*te.

misyou25
04-18-2005, 03:49 PM

I'm going to the Nottingham Challenger this week and I was wondering what are some good questions to ask players?

Thanks.

if he has a gf...:haha:
serious: how are you/can i take a pic/how do you feel about your playing right now

Fee
04-18-2005, 04:06 PM
I asked this to Andy and he said yes, then I was stumped. What do you do then? ;)

You say 'great, come with me, I'll get you some...' do some more eyebrow wiggling and so on. What, do I have to hold classes or something? :lol:

Dutchie
04-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Why would you want to bother to talk with them then - don't spill your time on them then, they aren't worth it then.

Dutchie
04-18-2005, 05:46 PM

:lol: