wimbledon could have huge broadcasting problems. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

wimbledon could have huge broadcasting problems.

Éowyn
04-14-2005, 10:20 PM
theres reports on teletext about the BBC strike ballot, they're saying if they do strike they will most likely target the live events to do it ie the election (i'd enjoy that not being broadcat) and wimbledon.

thing is if they do that it'll be huge problems coz the other countries pick up their broadcasts from the bbc cameras :eek:

heres what ceefax says on it (although of course ceefax is a bbc service so they try and water it down but it really could end up being bad)
------
Live TV and radio coverage of the general election and Wimbledon could be targeted if BBC staff decide to strike over job cuts, a union has warned.

Unions are to ballot members for strike action this week over plans to cut up to 4,000 posts at the corporation.

One of the unions, Bectu, has warne dthat any upcoming live event would be "fair game" for strike action.

The BBC said the unions decision to push for a strike ballot would hit licence fee-payers.

-------------

i suspect if it does happen and they do target wimbledon then Sky will come in with an offer on it! they'd love to poach the wimbledon coverage.

Raquel
04-14-2005, 10:25 PM
BBC has the Wimbledon contract tied up so Sky couldn't poach it. If they went on strike the BBC would still have the rights and we just wouldn't see Wimbledon - and there's nothing any of the other networks could do about it. I do doubt it will happen though. The BBC will cave, or they will work something out. Wimbledon gets good ratings in the UK, especially for Tim, and the BBC gets a HUGE amount of money from the worldwide networks to use their coverage. The BBC get no money from advertising so things like Wimbledon is where they make a good lot of their money so I wouldn't be worried about it. I am sure something will be worked out.

Éowyn
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
not true! they have it wrapped as exclusive coverage! all contracts have loop holes! if the bbc can't show coverage the LTA could give the rights to sky so as not too lose the worldwide broadcast rights.!

if bbc don't film it no one gets it!

personally it doens't affect me as i'll be there, but it is a possibility, even bbc have said it!

Éowyn
04-14-2005, 11:12 PM
The BBC get no money from advertising so things like Wimbledon is where they make a good lot of their money

no dera bbc make most of their money from every person in the UK who owns a tv thats what the TV License money goes. :rolleyes:

Raquel
04-15-2005, 12:04 AM
no dera bbc make most of their money from every person in the UK who owns a tv thats what the TV License money goes. :rolleyes:
I didn't say they made most of their money from overseas sales, I said they make a good lot of their money from it. I was already aware of where the TV licence money goes, dear.