NADAL versus GAUDIO:Who will win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NADAL versus GAUDIO:Who will win?

willie
04-14-2005, 07:28 PM
It will be a great match, i was at buenos aires lawn tennis when they played at atp of buenos aires in febraury and gaudio won 0-6 6-0 6-1 but it was becuase of the fans that didnt let nadal play good, they shouted and bother him. i think tomorrow nadal will be the winner.

Fergie
04-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Gaston as always :yeah:

Adam Thirnis
04-14-2005, 07:30 PM
Gaudio is the Daddy on clay.

savesthedizzle
04-14-2005, 07:33 PM
I said Nadal, but that's me being optimistic. I think it will be close. I think Nadal will win if the Gaudio who struggled against Kiwi plays. If the real Gaudio plays.. then it should be a match.

Chloe le Bopper
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I'll go with Gaudio. Without seeing any of their matches I've decided that Gaudio is a bad match for him ;)

onewoman74
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I'll go w/ the guy w/ the slam title

User id 7816
04-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Maybe tomorrow will be Rafa's first win over Gaston in 4 attempts?

but I really hope not.... :angel:

sorry Rafa, vamos Gaston :devil:

makro120
04-14-2005, 07:47 PM
Now when I have seen his record against Nadal I have changed my mind and think Gaudio will win.

NYCtennisfan
04-14-2005, 07:49 PM
I hope it's a good one and there doesn't seem to be any reason why it shouldn't be!

Fedex
04-14-2005, 07:51 PM
A tough call, but I've got to give the nod to Gaudio because of his experience. The crosscourt rallies should be interesting. Nadal's forehand(his best shot) vs. Gaston's backhand(his best shot).

Golfnduck
04-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Nadal, but in three sets

Fedex
04-14-2005, 07:56 PM
Nadal, but in three sets
Ah, yes the clay court genius offers her expertise. :)

Havok
04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
This should be an awesome match, please play well both of yous and not make this match dull! gaudio is the superior player, but Nadal is a very fierce competitor and he'll find ways to battle away. I think Gaudio will come up with the win, I think his backhand is a bit superior to Nadal's forehand which will be key in crosscourt rallies obviously. I actually haven't seen Nadal on clay yet so I have no clue if he plays with more variety than Gaston does, but i think Gaston in straight sets, but a tough battle. Would be great if Nadal notched the victory though.;)

deliveryman
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Ouch, Gaudio def. Nadal 6-0 0-6 6-1 this year already. LOL. What streaky tennis...

Fedex
04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
Ouch, Gaudio def. Nadal 6-0 6-0 6-1 this year already. LOL
Actually it was 0-6, 6-0, 6-1 to Gaudio, but yes a beating nonetheless after the 1st set.

lucashg
04-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I think Gaudio will win this one, tough two or three sets. But it wouldn't surprise me if Nadal left the court as the winner. I just hope it's an interesting exciting good match, it has what it takes to be.

Chloe le Bopper
04-14-2005, 08:07 PM
I actually haven't seen Nadal on clay yet

He's better on clay than he is anywhere else :shrug:

MariaV
04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
VAMOS Rafa!!!!!!!! :scared:
Actually Gaudio might be just too much for him.

Rogiman
04-14-2005, 08:11 PM
I hope Gaudio wins, but I think Nadal is going to win the tournament.

jazz_girl
04-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I like Rafa a lot, but I'll be cheering for Gastón! :)

deliveryman
04-14-2005, 08:43 PM
Assuming that Federer advances and Nadal advances, what a semi that's going to be.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Gaudio.

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 09:13 PM
You have Gaudio with the most 04 clay wins.

You have Nadal with a 26-4 04 clay win %.

You have killer backhand versus the young phenom.

I don't need to hype this match anymore!

rwn
04-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I want a semifinal between Federer and Nadal so I hope Nadal will win. But I think Gaudio will win. He has Nadal's number.

robinhood
04-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Gaudio in three!

Fedex
04-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Assuming that Federer advances and Nadal advances, what a semi that's going to be.
A federer-Nadal or a Federer-Gaudio semi works well for me. :)

Denaon
04-14-2005, 09:34 PM
It's going to be a real tough match and win for Gaston :banana:

liptea
04-14-2005, 09:49 PM
The more we hype and get excited about the match, the more of a blowout it's going to be. I just don't know who's going to blow out who.

NadalsBoyToy
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I'm rooting for my boo!

bad gambler
04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
gaudio

misyou25
04-14-2005, 10:45 PM
vamos Gaudio:)

ugotlobbed
04-14-2005, 11:01 PM
for some reason i think gaudio will win this

Billabong
04-14-2005, 11:06 PM
GO Gaston:yeah:!!!

Daniel
04-15-2005, 12:00 AM
Gaston :)

alexito
04-15-2005, 12:06 AM
It will be a great match, i was at buenos aires lawn tennis when they played at atp of buenos aires in febraury and gaudio won 0-6 6-0 6-1 but it was becuase of the fans that didnt let nadal play good, they shouted and bother him. i think tomorrow nadal will be the winner.
yes, I was there, nadal was angry for the people shouted him, tomorrow will be different. I don't like the people in bsas.

Jorge
04-15-2005, 12:14 AM
I think and I hope Nadal will win :yeah:

Daniel
04-15-2005, 12:17 AM
I think and I hope Nadal will win :yeah:

:rolleyes:

:mad:

jazz_girl
04-15-2005, 12:26 AM
yes, I was there, nadal was angry for the people shouted him, tomorrow will be different. I don't like the people in bsas.
If it had affected him he wouldn't have won the first set by 6-0...

sigmagirl91
04-15-2005, 12:41 AM
Gosh, the voting was close. I want Gaston to win this one.

sigmagirl91
04-15-2005, 12:42 AM

I couldn't agree more. Unless the crowd was threatening his life, I can't understand why he managed to win but one game after the bagel set. Doesn't make sense.

Jorge
04-15-2005, 12:44 AM
:rolleyes:

:mad:
sorry Daniel but this time I'll be rooting for the kid :p Amunt Rafa! :banana:

PaulieM
04-15-2005, 01:14 AM
i want gaudio to win this one.
hope this isn't like the fed-nadal match where almost everyone thought fed would win and then rafa almost did. don't count rafa out too soon. either way i think and hope it's a good match. :D

rocketrajic
04-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Gaudio will kick Nadal's ass in 2 seats.

RogiFan88
04-15-2005, 01:54 AM
haven't seen either play yet but I may lean slightly towards gaston over rafa... s be a great match! s be a final! ;)

bad gambler
04-15-2005, 01:55 AM

very true jgirl :yeah:

RogiFan88
04-15-2005, 01:57 AM
Actually it was 0-6, 6-0, 6-1 to Gaudio, but yes a beating nonetheless after the 1st set.

even rafa thought it was a weird match! :p

Fedex
04-15-2005, 01:58 AM
The more we hype and get excited about the match, the more of a blowout it's going to be. I just don't know who's going to blow out who.
If I had to pick someone to blow someone out I'd pick Gaston going by the head to head. He is 3-0 against Nadal and none of their matches have been particularly close.

Chloe le Bopper
04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
I disagree. The crowd would have had more to get on him for after that. This line only makes sense if you assume the crowd was consistent throughout the entire match. I find that highly unlikely since this is rarely the case.

That said, I didn't watch the match, and don't really like that as an excuse. Even if he himself made it.

Auscon
04-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Gaudio seems to always have the edge here...all his wins over Nadal have been pretty comfortable, so my vote stays with him

Scotso
04-15-2005, 03:20 AM
Nadal.

Scotso
04-15-2005, 03:20 AM
I wonder what the bookie odds are on this match.

Hendu
04-15-2005, 04:36 AM
I disagree. The crowd would have had more to get on him for after that. This line only makes sense if you assume the crowd was consistent throughout the entire match. I find that highly unlikely since this is rarely the case.

That said, I didn't watch the match, and don't really like that as an excuse. Even if he himself made it.

I watched the match and the crowd wasn't a factor... the people shouted, but it was nothing out of the ordinary...

it was just an extremely weird match...

I think the key of the match is if Gaudio will be able to attack Rafa's backhand with his own backhand (the Spanish is a lefty)... he did a lot of harm with this in BsAs...

Of course we are talking about Gaudio... if he has one of his off days, then its going to be an easy win for Nadal.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 04:40 AM
Too many people here going for Gaudio, that means Nadal will win.

NATAS81
04-15-2005, 04:43 AM
If Gaudio goes for a between-the-legs shot, he will lose.

Denaon
04-15-2005, 04:47 AM
If Gaudio goes for a between-the-legs shot, he will lose.
:lol: he may lose or win, but he'll do it no matter what ppl say if he really wants to. ;)

Hendu
04-15-2005, 04:50 AM
I want Gaudio to win... and I think he has the perfect game to beat Nadal, but I don't know why, I have the feeling that Rafa is the one thats going to pass through to the next round.

Art&Soul
04-15-2005, 04:50 AM
I prefer Gaudio to meet Roger so Gaudio gets my pick!

Scotso
04-15-2005, 05:12 AM
I find it amazing that people answer "who WILL win" with "I want ----, so I choose him"

NATAS81
04-15-2005, 05:13 AM
I am laying the stats out there, so people can make an informed decision.

But the favorite card holds dear to their hearts.

WyveN
04-15-2005, 06:24 AM
I am hoping Gaudio will win but I think Nadal might pull through.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 07:43 AM
Kid is an absolute typhoon these days, I think he´s hungry to break that domination from Gastón and I think he will win. Nadal, maybe easier than anyone can imagine (yes, I´m biased, so what? ;) )

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Kid is an absolute typhoon these days, I think he´s hungry to break that domination from Gastón and I think he will win. Nadal, maybe easier than anyone can imagine (yes, I´m biased, so what? ;) )

You're proud of your guy, but not arrogant about it and that's the thing. I am looking forward to the match, but I can see this happening.

If Nadal wins he'll win RG without losing a game and if he loses he is just overrated. If Gaudio loses he is even a bigger fluke as he played his 1st tough player and lost and if he wins it'll be because Nadal is tired.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
You're proud of your guy, but not arrogant about it and that's the thing. I am looking forward to the match, but I can see this happening.

If Nadal wins he'll win RG without losing a game and if he loses he is just overrated. If Gaudio loses he is even a bigger fluke as he played his 1st tough player and lost and if he wins it'll be because Nadal is tired.

Yes, the thing is that on Monday/Tuesday I thought Gaudio will make it 4-0 if they met in QF even though I know Nadal since a lot of time ago, I know he´s a fast learner, I´ve seen him playing a lot of matches even on national tourneys and I ´ve always defended that someday he will be a mountain just too high to climb for everyone on clay.

I´ve a lot of respect for Gaudio, he´s a class act and he can win everyone on a given day on clay, but the kid´s progression I expected is going quicker than I had thought, and having watched his 3 matches here I think he´s ready to challenge Gastón and hopefully win him.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 08:56 AM
Yes, the thing is that on Monday/Tuesday I thought Gaudio will make it 4-0 if they met in QF even though I know Nadal since a lot of time ago, I know he´s a fast learner, I´ve seen him playing a lot of matches even on national tourneys and I ´ve always defended that someday he will be a mountain just too high to climb for everyone on clay.

I am not even sure about this match, but I can say one thing that Gaudio needs to serve a lot better than he has. Yes, he isn't stupid on court inspite of some people want to be labelling him just a claycourter. :)

I´ve a lot of respect for Gaudio, he´s a class act and he can win everyone on a given day on clay, but the kid´s progression I expected is going quicker than I had thought, and having watched his 3 matches here I think he´s ready to challenge Gastón and hopefully win him.

This is true as well, but Gaston does have a game that can cause Rafa problems and it'll be interesting to see how many DTL forehands he will hit in this match.

Neely
04-15-2005, 09:00 AM
I say Nadal will win this time.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 09:02 AM
This is true as well, but Gaston does have a game that can cause Rafa problems and it'll be interesting to see how many DTL forehands he will hit in this match.

I don´t know if I got your point here, I think you meant (Gaudio) DTL backhands, I guess. Yeah that´s true, but Nadal is playing also very deep when needed and he knows that booming bh DTL is the stroke he should avoid Gastón to do often. He´s showing himself as a more clever player on court as time goes by and I hope he doesn´t dissapoint me today with his game plan.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 09:10 AM
I don´t know if I got your point here, I think you meant (Gaudio) DTL backhands, I guess. Yeah that´s true, but Nadal is playing also very deep when needed and he knows that booming bh DTL is the stroke he should avoid Gastón to do often. He´s showing himself as a more clever player on court as time goes by and I hope he doesn´t dissapoint me today with his game plan.

What I mean is that Gaudio can handle his spin and what I am wondering is if Nadal will run around and hit off forehands less so than usual. One other thing many people haven't noticed is that Gaudio's forehand has got better than previously.

syd
04-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Nadal must win

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 09:13 AM
What I mean is that Gaudio can handle his spin and what I am wondering is if Nadal will run around and hit off forehands less so than usual. One other thing many people haven't noticed is that Gaudio's forehand has got better than previously.

I see now. Well let´s enjoy the match, looking forward to it.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I see now. Well let´s enjoy the match, looking forward to it.

Yes, it's actually the first time in a long time that I have really looked forward to a match.

Though I see this scenario happening here. I know you're a gambling man, do you want to bet on this?

1.If Nadal wins he'll win RG without losing a game.
2.If Nadal loses he is just overrated
3 If Gaudio loses he is even a bigger fluke than before as he played his 1st tough player and lost
4, If Gaudio wins it'll be because Nadal is tired.

Which one will it be? :)

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM
Yes, it's actually the first time in a long time that I have really looked forward to a match.

Though I see this scenario happening here. I know you're a gambling man, do you want to bet on this?

1.If Nadal wins he'll win RG without losing a game.
2.If Nadal loses he is just overrated
3 If Gaudio loses he is even a bigger fluke than before as he played his 1st tough player and lost

Which one will it be? :)

For sure options 2 and 3, still can remember a month ago when a lot of people said Nadal was a mug on everything but clay and that he had no chance against Gaudio or Coria even on clay. There are many mouths shutted waiting for fresh meat to talk loud again.

If Nadal wins those big mouths will keep on shutted for a while and then the other ones will come up saying Gastón will never ever win again RG

Options 1 and 4 maybe less popular reactions but who knows...

JeNn
04-15-2005, 09:24 AM

It's that one.

Gaston will win this one. I'm looking for him to go back to back at RG this year :cool:

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
For sure options 2 and 3, still can remember a month ago when a lot of people said Nadal was a mug on everything but clay and that he had no chance against Gaudio or Coria even on clay. There are many mouths shutted waiting for fresh meat to talk loud again.

If Nadal wins those big mouths will keep on shutted for a while and then the other ones will come up saying Gastón will never ever win again RG

Options 1 and 4 maybe less popular reactions but who knows...

Yes, 2 and 3 are the most likely options, it goes back to what I was saying just because somebody comes from Spain doesn't mean they can't play on other surfaces. Yes, I remember the mug comments and as for Gaudio yes I know those ones all too well.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 09:43 AM
it goes back to what I was saying just because somebody comes from Spain doesn't mean they can't play on other surfaces.

All Spanish players can play well on clay, here´s the surface where best prospects grow up playing on (well, Feli can´t play on clay, but that´s not an exception, the fact is that he can´t play on any surface, just his big serve ocasionally has given him good wins), but yes, you have a point on such a generalized opinion on many people (it´s funny who many people still describe Verdasco as a "yes, another typical Spanish claycourter", for instance). But these young kids we have will soon grind that myth out, I´m sure.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 09:47 AM
I mean the Ferrero, Verdasco generation are defintiely different to the Mantilla, Corretja and Costa generation and altogether more aggressive in their play and they have to be, but the old stereotypes die hard.

Neely
04-15-2005, 09:48 AM
But these young kids we have will soon grind that myth out, I´m sure.
Correct, Verdasco and Nadal will even do well on grass in future and Nadal already made a hardcourt TMS final. They both can play well everywhere. Almagro could be another considerably well playing upcoming Spaniard if he doesn't blow it all the next years.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Correct, Verdasco and Nadal will even do well on grass in future and Nadal already made a hardcourt TMS final. They both can play well everywhere. Almagro could be another considerably well playing upcoming Spaniard if he doesn't blow it all the next years.

I think Almagro has a realistic chance to be more a headcase than Verdasco is, sadly

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 09:58 AM
I think Almagro has a realistic chance to be more a headcase than Verdasco is, sadly

The Spanish Fernando Gonzalez, but I do have faith in him. He should have taken out Coria and Guga last year.

Neely
04-15-2005, 09:59 AM
Lots of time left for him. I've seen alreay players titulated by people as "biggest headcase" and "biggest and worst choker around" and they won Grand Slams ;)

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 10:02 AM
The Spanish Fernando Gonzalez, but I do have faith in him. He should have taken out Coria and Guga last year.

Yes, not so big forehand but imo, he´s a more complete player (potentially), I also think he can achieve a lot in his career. The thing is that I would like him to show just a bit of more intelligence on court, but he´s too arrogant to even think he´s not a clever player, that´s his biggest problem.

Neely
04-15-2005, 10:04 AM
He was in the position to win against Guga, but not so much against Coria. It was Coria who broke for the match at the end of the third, and not Almagro who failed to serve it out earlier. But it was a very good performance indeed, Almagro just wanted too much and hit a few forehands out at the end and Coria won it because he was more consistent making use of his opponent's errors.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Lots of time left for him. I've seen alreay players titulated by people as "biggest headcase" and "biggest and worst choker around" and they won Grand Slams ;)

Yes I know, but I doubt he will. I mean, I was sure 101% Nadal would be a top player a lot of time ago, I think Verdasco´s talent is just too big for his brain to not let him being, but I have much more doubts about Almagro. He has all the shots, he has a lot of firepower, but his character is nasty, arrogant and he´s a stupid guy on court, all power without brain.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Deivid, you are the 3rd guy I know who thinks Almagro is a pajero.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 10:11 AM
Almagro just wanted too much and hit a few forehands out at the end and Coria won it because he was more consistent making use of his opponent's errors.

Not the point Coria was there for the taking and Almagro wasn't good enough on the day to win, how else does Coria win most of his matches.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Deivid, you are the 3rd guy I know who thinks Almagro is a pajero.

lol, I don´t know if "pajero" has the same meaning for me, but definetely he´s a stupid kid, he looks like on court and several people that know him well personally all agree with that.

Neely
04-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Not the point Coria was there for the taking and Almagro wasn't good enough on the day to win, how else does Coria win most of his matches.
You misunderstood me?! You said that Almagro should have won against Coria and Guga last year. This means for me that Almagro was in a position to win the match. I agree on the match with Guga, because Almagro was serving for the match and (I think?!) he was even holding match points in the fifth. But I disagree on Coria as it was Coria who blew his serve at the end of the third serving for the match the first time and not Almagro who failed to serve it out.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 10:20 AM
lol, I don´t know if "pajero" has the same meaning for me, but definetely he´s a stupid kid, he looks like on court and several people that know him well personally all agree with that.

Exactly what I heard about him from very good sources.

Deivid23
04-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Exactly what I heard about him from very good sources.

Definetely good sources you have ;)

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 10:23 AM
You misunderstood me?! You said that Almagro should have won against Coria and Guga last year. This means for me that Almagro was in a position to win the match. I agree on the match with Guga, because Almagro was serving for the match and (I think?!) he was even holding match points in the fifth. But I disagree on Coria as it was Coria who blew his serve at the end of the third serving for the match the first time and not Almagro who failed to serve it out.

Actually I didn't misunderstand you. Almagro had chances to win that match against Coria, but he didn't do it. No, I am not going on the MTF standard of what a choke is ie down 0-15 in the 1st game they choked it away. He had them and wasn't good enough to win it's that simple. Should he have won, yes he should have, but he wasn't good enough when it counted.

Neely
04-15-2005, 10:33 AM
GWH, all I'm saying is that Almagro wasn't by far in such a big position to win the match against Coria as against Guga, therefore saying he should have won this match doesn't go for my understanding referring to the Coria match (because Almagro entered the match as a huge underdog anyway) and that's what sounded strangely for me and I wanted to share my view on that.

It was not about "not good enough when it counted".

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 10:37 AM
GWH, all I'm saying is that Almagro wasn't by far in such a big position to win the match against Coria as against Guga, therefore saying he should have won this match doesn't go for my understanding referring to the Coria match (because Almagro entered the match as a huge underdog anyway) and that's what sounded strangely for me and I wanted to share my view on that.

It was not about "not good enough when it counted".

It's always about not being good enough when it counts when it's a tight match and that person has lost, less so when it's a thrashing as they can't usually be argued. Does it matter whether someone is a huge underdog if they are in a position to take a victory?

Neely
04-15-2005, 11:05 AM
It's always about not being good enough when it counts when it's a tight match and that person has lost, less so when it's a thrashing as they can't usually be argued. Does it matter whether someone is a huge underdog if they are in a position to take a victory?
Sure, for the outcome it is all about good enough when it counts! But right now we were talking about "should have taken the match", "should have won the match"... Of course, everybody SHOULD win every match ;) But for me there are the defeats in that you were REALLY in a position to win the match such as Almagro vs Guga (Almagro serving for the match, holding match point) and the ones in that you were not (=Almagro vs Coria). And therefore, when talking about the latter match, I would not say "Almagro should have won it".

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Neely, you think one way about this and I think another way, but one thing we can agree on is the end result of that particular match.

Rex
04-15-2005, 12:17 PM
if the man in my avartar does not win- ill eat my hat