Did Dementieva diss Roddick and his game? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Dementieva diss Roddick and his game?

Tennis Fool
04-14-2005, 04:40 AM
Just read this quote posted on Tennis-X:

"Just look at Andy Roddick. He has the biggest serve on the men's tour and he's not the No. 1 because other parts of his game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Elena Dementieva, defending her weak serve.

Well, we always knew the Russian women were known for their humbleness :lol:

liptea
04-14-2005, 04:42 AM
Well, obviously, he has a bigger serve than Roger, who has other aspects that are better than Andy's. I don't think she was doing anything more than stating the obvious.

Pea
04-14-2005, 04:43 AM
Elena's not one to keep things to herself.;)

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Just stating the obvious.

tennis4eva
04-14-2005, 04:50 AM
Brutally Honest

deliveryman
04-14-2005, 04:52 AM
Umm... Roger's serve isn't no "dog" either.

WyveN
04-14-2005, 04:53 AM
roddicks serve is one of the best in the world, certain other parts of roddicks game are not among the best of the world. simple stuff.

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 04:54 AM
The answer to the meaning of has life has been revealed by Elena with this analysis.

J. Corwin
04-14-2005, 04:55 AM
I feel enlightened. :)

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 04:56 AM
Well jackson, you know this is a revolutionary discovery.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Elena :drool:

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Yeah, I'm sure she'd love his serve.

robinhood
04-14-2005, 05:16 AM
Yup, nothing more than stating the obvious.
I don't think Roddick would be upset by this comment.
He'll only be motivated more, in my opinion.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 05:33 AM

agreed. He does have some things to work on

mandoura
04-14-2005, 05:40 AM
She is just stating a fact bluntly and honnestly, and pretty much in self-defense. (Elena Dementieva, defending her weak serve)

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 05:47 AM

True that Roddick wouldn't care too much about this comment as for his motivation, yes he is very motivated at this time of the year.

SanTaureau Fan
04-14-2005, 06:46 AM
Original thread.

syd
04-14-2005, 06:48 AM
i don't think too that Andy would cares about what she says, he knows certainly better his game than her.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 07:11 AM
i don't think too that Andy would cares about what she says, he knows certainly better his game than her.

true...but, although his game is improving, the comment is correct at the time. I do not think she meant to criticise anyone with the comment. Just a comparison.

mandoura
04-14-2005, 07:14 AM
true...but, although his game is improving, the comment is correct at the time. I do not think she meant to criticise anyone with the comment. Just a comparison.

"Absolutely". ;)

Becarina
04-14-2005, 07:15 AM
"Absolutely". ;)

:haha: you are great ;)

JeLuliA88
04-14-2005, 07:16 AM
She's one tactless girl!

Becarina
04-14-2005, 07:18 AM
how so?

oz_boz
04-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I think she will have some regrets about that comment. It's not necessary to drag someone else in the dirt just to defend yourself. I don't like Andy's ace-based game, but I don't think we will ever read this on Tennis-X:

"Just look at Elena Dementieva. She has some of the best baseline game on the women's tour and she's not the No. 1 because other parts of her game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Andy Roddick, defending his weak backhand.

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 07:28 AM
I think she will have some regrets about that comment. It's not necessary to drag someone else in the dirt just to defend yourself. I don't like Andy's ace-based game, but I don't think we will ever read this on Tennis-X:

"Just look at Elena Dementieva. She has some of the best baseline game on the women's tour and she's not the No. 1 because other parts of her game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Andy Roddick, defending his weak backhand.

Interesting perspective but Dementieva doesn't hide from the fact her serve is rubbish and is trying to improve it and for all the foibles at least she doesn't just play lower events so she just can win them.

El Legenda
04-14-2005, 07:36 AM
she didnt lie about anything :)

Becarina
04-14-2005, 07:38 AM
Interesting perspective but Dementieva doesn't hide from the fact her serve is rubbish and is trying to improve it and for all the foibles at least he doesn't just play lower events so she just can win them.

and Andy does?

Five
04-14-2005, 07:57 AM
Go Elena :)

Action Jackson
04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
and Andy does?

No, not at all.

jrm
04-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Giving an example that even if she had a good serve she wouldn't be garanteed better results (i think otherwise cause the rest of her game is good).

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 08:40 AM
If she had Davenport's serve she'd be top 3 for sure.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 08:43 AM
she has good movement and yells of course...

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 08:45 AM
And has Maxim Afinogenov as a boyfriend.

syd
04-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by NATAS81
If she had Davenport's serve she'd be top 3 for sure.
And with a good serve, she could avoid some critical situations.
I notice she oftenly makes double faults on a match points (against her)!

Becarina
04-14-2005, 08:50 AM
And with a good serve, she could avoid some critical situations.
I notice she oftenly makes double faults on a match points (against her)!

ALOT of double faults

Billy Moonshine
04-14-2005, 08:52 AM
She is pretty cheeky! I still love her though, she is my fav womens player.
What she says is true but it doen´t really do Andy justice. Andy has achieved more than she has despite his faults ( although i dont think you can compare the men and womens tours or the players achievements)
Whatever she says, and if she read the whole article she goes on to say her service problem´´ isn´t a problem really´´, her service has got in the way of her GS and number one ambitions. She seems a little in denial and a little defensive. i reckon if Andy reads it he would smile and agree with her.
I like that it is the clay season and Andy, who is not one of the main players at this time, is getting all this MTF coverage, He is such a dude! People just can´t help talking about him :)

Becarina
04-14-2005, 08:56 AM
She is pretty cheeky! I still love her though, she is my fav womens player.
What she says is true but it doen´t really do Andy justice. Andy has achieved more than she has despite his faults ( although i dont think you can compare the men and womens tours or the players achievements)
Whatever she says, and if she read the whole article she goes on to say her service problem´´ isn´t a problem really´´, her service has got in the way of her GS and number one ambitions. She seems a little in denial and a little defensive. i reckon if Andy reads it he would smile and agree with her.
I like that it is the clay season and Andy, who is not one of the main players at this time, is getting all this MTF coverage, He is such a dude! People just can´t help talking about him :)

I dont find her defensive...just found someone she could relate too. Honestly, there is no problem with this comment at all. Andy has done a lot but he still has alot more to learn. I love Andy, but C'mon.

Billy Moonshine
04-14-2005, 09:02 AM
Yeah, i don´t have a problem with what she says. Sometimes she doesn´t really think about what she says, imo. This is why i like her.
I think she can relate to Andy, OK, but how can she relate to a GS champ and year end number one?
All I´m saying is that she can make comparisons but he has still achieved more despite his weaknesses. Elena makes out that her service doesn´t hinder her. Read the article and you will see, or maybe you´ve read it.
Yeah Andy has to improve. But he´s not alone, i mean, maybe with the exception of Fed, though i think he would disagree, don´t they all?

Billy Moonshine
04-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Oh yeah, if you read my original post, i don´t actually say that her comment about Andy is defensive. I meant her comments about her serve and its effects on her game.
And also i dont blame her for being defensive. It must be tiresome for everyone to ask you about your weaknesses and forget that you have actually achieved great things.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 09:13 AM
Yeah, i don´t have a problem with what she says. Sometimes she doesn´t really think about what she says, imo. This is why i like her.
I think she can relate to Andy, OK, but how can she relate to a GS champ and year end number one?
All I´m saying is that she can make comparisons but he has still achieved more despite his weaknesses. Elena makes out that her service doesn´t hinder her. Read the article and you will see, or maybe you´ve read it.
Yeah Andy has to improve. But he´s not alone, i mean, maybe with the exception of Fed, though i think he would disagree, don´t they all?

they do, and I really like this post. :)

Becarina
04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
Oh yeah, if you read my original post, i don´t actually say that her comment about Andy is defensive. I meant her comments about her serve and its effects on her game.
And also i dont blame her for being defensive. It must be tiresome for everyone to ask you about your weaknesses and forget that you have actually achieved great things.

this could be said about Andy also...

Billy Moonshine
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
I completely agree.
Andy, for whatever reason, gets a lot of flack but, irrespective of what he achieves from now on, he will always be in the record books as US Open Champion 2003, World number one 2003, Wimbledon RU 2004.
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Dementieva will not accomplish any of those tasks, maybe USO.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 09:23 AM
unless you can see the future, no one can really say this.

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't need to see the future, I see her serve and I see the competition around her.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 09:28 AM
but she can only get better, one hopes.

NATAS81
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Maybe Maxim will teach her the slapshot serve and she'll create a new revolution.

sigmagirl91
04-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Hmmm....nothing earth-shattering or ground-breaking about her comments, so I think I'll :bolt: now.....

Experimentee
04-14-2005, 02:40 PM
She should try to improve her own serve instead of saying it doesnt matter and putting other players down to defend herself. The reason why Andy is so high is because serve is a huge part of the game, more important than anything else. She cant deny that.

tangerine_dream
04-14-2005, 03:25 PM
and Andy does?

I agree, AndyGirl. Since when did Roddick ever say he didn't need to work on improving his game? Or that he's perfect as he is? Please. He's working hard on improving his game and like oz said, I doubt we'll ever see Andy lowering himself to the Russian's level by trashing another player's weaknesses while knowing full well he has plenty of weaknesses of his own.

Allure
04-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Hmm...I think her comment is a bit harsh. She makes it seem as if the "other" parts of Andy's game is bad/not very good. I would give Andy's serving skills a 10 and his "other" parts a 7.5-8. Sure his overall game might not be the best but it's not bad.

YoursTruly
04-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Just read this quote posted on Tennis-X:

"Just look at Andy Roddick. He has the biggest serve on the men's tour and he's not the No. 1 because other parts of his game are not so good. I think it's more important to have the desire and the other parts of your game."
-- Elena Dementieva, defending her weak serve.

Well, we always knew the Russian women were known for their humbleness :lol:

Elena is speaking the truth, and it's nice to see this happening because it's usually the bad ones who only speak out while they aren't great people themselves, but this is a player like Elena Dementieva who is cool and has humility, but she is stating the truth, unlike others who are nice but are too nice and are afraid to speak out. Especially if somebody spoke bad about that nice person whoever it would be.

Exodus
04-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Her serve really sucks, she would be no. 1 if she had Sharapova or Davenports serve

YoursTruly
04-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Her serve is a weakness in her game, but it's not an extreme weakness. Especially now that she has reworked her serve and you can see that it's a much faster and harder serve. I think her serve now gives her more extension and allows her to hit with power and less fear rather than just bending it in. But besides the serve, her game is consistent and natural, Elena has top 5 written all over her.

Exodus
04-17-2005, 03:09 PM
You must be kidding, have u really seen her play lately? She hits like 10-15 DFs in her match last night she was lucky to win agaisnt Schynder.

Neely
04-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Well, Dementieva... at least Andy won a Slam and a few TMS as was already #1, while Dementieva still has to do that.

And Elena, what was the difference in your US Open final to Sveta? It were not the "other parts of the game" or desire. Sveta won it despite hitting almost three times as much unforced errors because SHE HAD A SERVE, more importantly a reliable 2nd serve with some topspin on it, something you still have to figure out how to do as long as you keep slicing your 2nd serves in with 75mph.

Exodus
04-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Sveta was LUCKY that Davenport was hurt

Neely
04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
And Elena was lucky that Capriati and Mauresmo choked against her in the final tiebreak, right? :p

Exodus
04-17-2005, 03:19 PM
They didn't chocked, have u actually seem her play against them?

Neely
04-17-2005, 03:35 PM
They didn't chocked, have u actually seem her play against them?
Mauresmo played an absolutely crappy tiebreak and Capriati chocked when serving for the match at the end of the third set.

So don't tell me how lucky Sveta allegedly was because Davenport was "injured" (again), LOL :rolleyes:

Kuznetsova won the final against Dementieva because she had something that Dementieva didn't have... and this is called a good serve. It wasn't about desire or other parts of the game.

PaulieM
04-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Kuznetsova won the final against Dementieva because she had something that Dementieva didn't have... and this is called a good serve. It wasn't about desire or other parts of the game.
:yeah:

Exodus
04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
True that Sveta won coz she have a much better serve than Dementieva no question about that. But you shouldn't take away the credit the fact that she played extremely well and not that they gave the match away!

Sveta would even be in the final if Davenport wasn't injured that's just a fact even if you like it or not. She will probably never win a another slam

Neely
04-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Okay, Exodus :worship: You are right :o :p .... bye for now :wavey:

nkhera1
04-17-2005, 03:56 PM

Lets just say that Davenport would have crushed Dementieva's serve.

Experimentee
04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Elena wouldnt have been in the final either if Capriati and Mauresmo werent headcases. Theres no point in talking about what ifs, the fact is Sveta is the US Open champion whether you like it or not. And she has a much better game than Elena because of her serve.

Armada~121
04-17-2005, 04:44 PM
I think maybe people are reading too much into this. This quotation is taken out of the context, and because we do not hear the tone of her voice and her manner when she said it, people can just easily assume she's "dissing" Andy's game. I think the situation is as simply as a journalist asked her about her poor serve, and she responded by saying that she recognized the fact that her serve is poor, but serve is just not everything. and she backed up her argument by citing Andy as an example. It's, like everybody said, stating the obvious and use that as an example. I don't see anything is wrong with that.

When a statement is taken out of the context, it can creat HUGE misunderstanding. I remembered when people made a big deal out of Marat "dissing" his sister Dinara at AO, when in fact he was just answering question as to why she couldn't win the match that day despite being in the lead. It's all the same thing. Simple, neutral-intention words are taken out of the context meant for more dramatic misunderstandings.

-ernie-
04-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Elena is just sayin whats what. You gotta love her :worship:

Tennis Fool
04-17-2005, 10:20 PM
I think the situation is as simply as a journalist asked her about her poor serve, and she responded by saying that she recognized the fact that her serve is poor, but serve is just not everything. and she backed up her argument by citing Andy as an example. It's, like everybody said, stating the obvious and use that as an example. I don't see anything is wrong with that.

:confused: You just repeated exactly what the commotion is about. Some posters don't like her using Andy as her example guinea pig.

NATAS81
04-17-2005, 11:30 PM
If she had Roddick's serve, she would have won the Family Circle Cup today.

Props for Justine's killer backhand though, she really ripped some scorchers today.

Armada~121
04-18-2005, 03:26 AM
:confused: You just repeated exactly what the commotion is about. Some posters don't like her using Andy as her example guinea pig. Yeah Elena is tactless in that department, for she, as a public person, should never have specified any name in press conference. But what I mean is her comment is hardly a "dissing". Your thread uses a very strongly negative word and her comment just doesn't sound so. She is plainly stating the obvious. "Dissing" would be more like Myskina's sour comment on her conquerer Vaidisova :

Q. What do you think of the way she played? Were you pretty impressed with her game today?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not at all. I mean that wasn't even a big match. I mean the serve?volley was nothing today. It's just my mistakes, and well,
she served pretty well. That's only one thing that she can do

Now, THAT is dissing, while Elena's is just tactless but frank comment.

YoursTruly
04-18-2005, 04:59 AM
People just want to start something, so they interpret the words and sentences as threatening as possible.

YoursTruly
04-18-2005, 05:15 AM
You must be kidding, have u really seen her play lately? She hits like 10-15 DFs in her match last night she was lucky to win agaisnt Schynder.

Yes I have. But those double faults are not caused by doing improper technique and hesitation. Those double faults are now Elena going for her serves.

Chloe le Bopper
04-18-2005, 05:33 AM
A three page Roddick thread that has turned into a discussion of Elena's game. Roddick hating is officially out of style :rocker2:

Chloe le Bopper
04-18-2005, 05:34 AM
True that Sveta won coz she have a much better serve than Dementieva no question about that. But you shouldn't take away the credit the fact that she played extremely well and not that they gave the match away!

Sveta would even be in the final if Davenport wasn't injured that's just a fact even if you like it or not. She will probably never win a another slam
That's a bold thing to say about a 19 year old.

ugotlobbed
04-18-2005, 06:17 AM
dementieva is hot stuff

Allure
04-18-2005, 09:16 AM
Q. What do you think of the way she played? Were you pretty impressed with her game today?

ANASTASIA MYSKINA: Not at all. I mean that wasn't even a big match. I mean the serve?volley was nothing today. It's just my mistakes, and well,
she served pretty well. That's only one thing that she can do

I read that on Tennis-X.com and I was like :eek: Oh no she didn't. And I don't even know who the other person was (her opponent) but even I felt that was rude.

Becarina
04-18-2005, 09:19 AM
I read that on Tennis-X.com and I was like :eek: Oh no she didn't. And I don't even know who the other person was (her opponent) but even I felt that was rude.

you should read some more maybe, I don't see how anyone could find this offensive. Competition is nutty.

Allure
04-18-2005, 09:34 AM
you should read some more maybe, I don't see how anyone could find this offensive. Competition is nutty.

But Myskina was like "That's the only thing she can do." C'mon even you have to admit that's pretty tactless. But whatever it's your opinion. :)

Becarina
04-18-2005, 09:35 AM
But Myskina was like "That's the only thing she can do." C'mon even you have to admit that's pretty tactless. But whatever it's your opinion. :)

when you said "like" I stopped reading.

Becarina
04-18-2005, 09:36 AM
when you said "like" I stopped reading. Totally is not far behind.

Allure
04-18-2005, 09:40 AM
when you said "like" I stopped reading.

Okay she said "That's the only one thing that she can do."

Becarina
04-18-2005, 09:46 AM
why does her (the rival) opinion matter so much?