What did you first notice about Andy Roddick? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What did you first notice about Andy Roddick?

tangerine_dream
04-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Just another poll to add to the clutter here in our lovely forum. Tell me what it was about Andy that you first noticed about him? :)

MisterQ
04-12-2005, 05:46 PM
I noticed that he was the No. 1 junior tennis player, and that he looked like he was about 10 years old. :lol:

MissFairy
04-12-2005, 05:46 PM
More Polls i demand them :p they make me feel important :lol:

Tangy :hug:

i said his forehand, passion, stylin (it was COLOUR) and his temper :)

his temper not so out there anymore, but thats cool, that just came with maturity. But at the time i thought it was a great expression of how he went through it on court, same with passion :)

And well, his forehand because, well, its faddabulous. Very powerful. Very Andy. :)

Tytta!.
04-12-2005, 05:53 PM
I first noticed about his fighting spirit :o

Rezandinah
04-12-2005, 05:54 PM
I was sad because he defeated Chang, but I loved his behavior on the court.
It was so funny the way he slouched because of his cramps at the end of the match.
I immediately noticed his particular personnality and so the public did, they like that kind of players ;)

Deboogle!.
04-12-2005, 05:59 PM
personality and passion :D

snaillyyy
04-12-2005, 06:02 PM
His passion on the court and how he gave it his all :)

blosson
04-12-2005, 06:03 PM
i really like his explosive personality on court too. how funny, it's the thing his hatters hate the most!

Golfnduck
04-12-2005, 06:40 PM
All of the above, minus the one about Chang.
Everything about him interests me in one way or another ;)

tangerine_dream
04-12-2005, 06:49 PM
I was sad because he defeated Chang, but I loved his behavior on the court.
It was so funny the way he slouched because of his cramps at the end of the match.
I immediately noticed his particular personnality and so the public did, they like that kind of players ;)

The Chang match was the first five-set match he ever played so his win over Chang was made even more impressive (plus the fact that he was cramping, etc.)

I loved how, when he realized they were going into a fifth set, Andy walked over to a linesman and put his head on his shoulder. LOL. Aww. :hug:

am&a
04-12-2005, 06:50 PM
hmm... "he's the only one that espn ever shows" isn't an option... d:

Fumus
04-12-2005, 09:07 PM
hey hey, Tangy c'mon are you trying to put tennis in this forum. Someone post something about Andy's ass immediately.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2005, 09:08 PM
hey hey, Tangy c'mon are you trying to put tennis in this forum. Someone post something about Andy's ass immediately.

:haha: :haha: oh death.

tangerine_dream
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
hmm... "he's the only one that espn ever shows" isn't an option... d:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

andyroxmysox12191
04-12-2005, 09:14 PM
forehand, passion and personality
and other....I also noticed that everyone (including my brother) hated him :lol:

roisin
04-12-2005, 10:23 PM
i noticed his blingin' clothes!!! reebok have the best clothes :yeah:

oh and he was/is quite hot too ;)

Fumus
04-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Yea, my first Andy match was the Chela 02' USO match, so yea. That says it all.

surfpinky
04-12-2005, 11:35 PM
I said his passion....but I also noticed his personality...

honey_b_fly_15
04-13-2005, 02:27 AM
I first noticed him at the French Open 2001. The Eurosport commentators were bigging him up, saying he is the next big thing. I watched that match, and I remember I was cheering for Chang :o (for sentimental reasons :p) but when Andy won, I was quite happy, especially since he was cramping throughout the fifth set! And then he cried :lol:, which actually made me laugh (I'm horrible I know :devil: )Then when he played Hewitt. This was the period where I hated Hewitt with a passion and I wanted Andy to win. When Andy retired I felt sorry for him, and then that stupid interviewer wanted to speak to Andy when he was in tears. Since then I have been a fan. I think I became a big fan at the US Open 2001 when he played that qualifier who was a friend of his brother. I forgot his name!

Éowyn
04-13-2005, 05:01 AM
all of the above! first time i heard about him was when he won the uso jnr title (betaing robby damn it) andi thought they both look good and made a mental note to keep an eye outfor them! the rest is as they say history! i voted for every optionin the poll coz i've thought every single one of those things at one point or other.

Éowyn
04-13-2005, 05:06 AM
I first noticed him at the French Open 2001. The Eurosport commentators were bigging him up, saying he is the next big thing. I watched that match, and I remember I was cheering for Chang :o (for sentimental reasons :p) but when Andy won, I was quite happy, especially since he was cramping throughout the fifth set! And then he cried :lol:, which actually made me laugh (I'm horrible I know :devil: )Then when he played Hewitt. This was the period where I hated Hewitt with a passion and I wanted Andy to win. When Andy retired I felt sorry for him, and then that stupid interviewer wanted to speak to Andy when he was in tears. Since then I have been a fan. I think I became a big fan at the US Open 2001 when he played that qualifier who was a friend of his brother. I forgot his name!

europsort? bigging andy?????? my god that must have been along time ago now! all they ever do now is say how wonderful henmand and federer are even when they're not playing!

williaer
04-13-2005, 05:39 AM
the first time i noticed andy was the 2003 ao semifinal against el aynaoui. so yeh.

i noticed his serve, forehand, passion, personality and sportsmanship in that match, and have loved him since!

Adman
04-13-2005, 11:23 AM
I think that the forehand is one of Andys main weapons.

zoltan83
04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
His personnality and his passion.

I never saw his match against Chang but I'm not sure that with this match, I would be fan of Andy coz I liked Chang.

tangerine_dream
04-13-2005, 03:48 PM
I should have included 2003 on the list (just the whole year, lol). That was his breakthrough year when he owned the hardcourts and gobbled up tons of TV time and I remember seeing him everywhere in newspapers and magazines. :devil:

2003 is when bandwagon hoppers like me showed up at MTF. :angel:

2003 was a vintage year :drink: :smoke:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2005, 03:55 PM
2003..... sigh..... :sad:

tangerine_dream
04-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Oh stop :smash: ;) :hug:

MisterQ
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
I should have included 2003 on the list (just the whole year, lol). That was his breakthrough year when he owned the hardcourts and gobbled up tons of TV time and I remember seeing him everywhere in newspapers and magazines. :devil:

2003 is when bandwagon hoppers like me showed up at MTF. :angel:

2003 was a vintage year :drink: :smoke:

Andre won a slam that year too. :banana:

nostalgia... :sobbing:

:lol:

Golfnduck
04-13-2005, 06:18 PM
2003 rocked :rocker:

Deboogle!.
04-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Oh stop :smash: ;) :hug:

What?? 2003 was good, I want 2003 Andy back. You watch his matches from summer 2003 and he just has this air and walk about him that he just doesn't have anymore. I miss it :(

Golfnduck
04-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I miss it too :sad:

MissFairy
04-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Jen, nooooo its making me sad too :sad: and then i saw your av and i was like even more :sad:

Golfnduck
04-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Jen, nooooo its making me sad too :sad: and then i saw your av and i was like even more :sad:
Awwww.....:hug: It's okay, I have a feeling 2003 Andy will show up again.

MissFairy
04-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Awwww.....:hug: It's okay, I have a feeling 2003 Andy will show up again.
*crosses fingers* i really hope so, but its doesnt seem like its happening anytime soon...:sad:

Chloe le Bopper
04-13-2005, 09:38 PM
The first thing I noticed about Roddick when I saw him LIVE was that he has a big butt. The first thing that I noticed on TV was his serve.

J. Corwin
04-13-2005, 10:36 PM
I was casually watching one of his matches on TV and all the commentators and their moms were hyping him up as the "next great American player to follow Sampras and Agassi". ;) I kept my eye out for him and his personality and passion got me into him. :) Oh, this was during the summer of 2001. :lol:

tangerine_dream
04-14-2005, 02:10 AM
It's ok, Deb :hug: We all want the 2003 version of Andy back (mentally, at least; I prefer his new more well-rounded game).

Awwww..... It's okay, I have a feeling 2003 Andy will show up again.
So do I, Jen. Hopefully, this year will be another vintage year for Andy. :banana:

The first thing I noticed about Roddick when I saw him LIVE was that he has a big butt. The first thing that I noticed on TV was his serve.
Quit trolling my thread, Chloe. :p j/k When I saw Andy LIVE I noticed his serve first: it was loud, it "popped", and people were literally ducking out of the way to avoid injury (no, I'm not exaggerating). On TV, I noticed that his butt looks bigger on TV than in person (esp. when he wears white shorts). :lol:

star
04-14-2005, 02:15 AM
I noticed his success as a junior..... and his name that made the boys roll on the floor laughing and making up nasty jokes about it. :haha:

Then I noticed he beat Sampras.... and bingo! I was :inlove: and then he won two clay tournaments in a row and had Benhabiles as his coach, I was even more :inlove: :rolleyes: I fee so betrayed. :lol:

PinkFeatherBoa
04-14-2005, 02:21 AM
When I saw Andy LIVE I noticed his serve first: it was loud, it "popped", and people were literally ducking out of the way to avoid injury (no, I'm not exaggerating). On TV, I noticed that his butt looks bigger on TV than in person (esp. when he wears white shorts). :lol:

I love the sound his serve makes live, I could use that sound for ambience music in my home. I must remember to record if I see him over the summer.
Ahem, I'm a little obsessive about such small sounds in tennis, still beats the grunting noises other players make. ;)

I'm not really sure what I first noticed about Andy (too long ago) but it was probably a mixture of all of the things listed. I'm not selective when it comes to Andy's likeable traits.
I agree star, the Sampras match really made me :worship: him even more.

Neely
04-14-2005, 02:27 AM
1st thing: incredible power
2nd thing: personality (I noticed he has a loose tongue, he is often cool and funny when talking to people or on press conferences)
3rd thing: passion (winning some difficult and big matches in 2003)

Deboogle!.
04-14-2005, 02:38 AM
omg yes the sound of his serve live is really scary. No one else's serve pops like that, not even other people with big serves.

Becarina
04-14-2005, 07:00 AM
his booty of course ;)

Nah, his passion, I love the way he questions everything. :)