Mariano Puerta def. Carlos Moya 7-6, 1-6, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mariano Puerta def. Carlos Moya 7-6, 1-6, 6-3

gravity
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Vamos Mariano. :banana:

Puerta has now beaten Moya in all three of their most recent meetings.... and I can only see this h2h record improving when they meet again. :) Moya doesn't seem to enjoy playing the revitalised Puerta at all.

gravity
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Also moya threw away a 5-1 lead in the first set tiebreaker.... a key moment was on the seventh point on Moya's serve when he decided to try a suicidal dropshot from the baseline. :lol:

jazz_girl
04-12-2005, 03:43 PM
Great results from Mariano this year, Congratulations!!! :worship:
Carlos :sad:

Denaon
04-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Good work Puerta! :yeah: What a wonderful way to ensure his way back to the winning track!!! Poor Carlos though ....

MissMoJo
04-12-2005, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes: Carlos :smash:

Alvarillo
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
:help: Moya

Raquel
04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I couldn't believe Carlos managed to lose that tiebreak after being 5-1 up. He played a couple of very loose points at that stage.

Puerta was excellent though.

richard gasquet
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
congrats puerta he is impressive :)

TennisLurker
04-12-2005, 03:55 PM
nice match

tennischick
04-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Puerta played like a pugilist. he mauled Moya ;)

Neely
04-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Carlos :sobbing: :sad:

willie
04-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Good for mariano, bad for carlitos:sad:

Pea
04-12-2005, 04:23 PM
Mariano is on a roll!:cool:

Booshie
04-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Aww Carlos. :hug: I feel badly for him. :sad: I hope he can pull his game together soon. It would help if he wasn't facing Puerta all the time....

PaulieM
04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
carlos NOOOOOOO!:bigcry: :sobbing:

Carlita
04-12-2005, 04:28 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
Puerta, please stay out of my way should you come to Barcelona next week...
:smash: :smash: :smash:

:sad:

Fergie
04-12-2005, 04:30 PM
Mariano is on fire this year! :yeah:

Next time Carlos :hug:

Denaon
04-12-2005, 04:58 PM
:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:
Puerta, please stay out of my way should you come to Barcelona next week...
:smash: :smash: :smash:

:sad:
:lol:

Carlita
04-12-2005, 05:04 PM
I'm serious Denaon.......DEADLY serious...... :fiery:

MissMoJo
04-12-2005, 05:07 PM
I believe her :scared: you don't want to screw with Carlita's spanish salad

Denaon
04-12-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm serious Denaon.......DEADLY serious...... :fiery:
I know you are...
I believe her you don't want to screw with Carlita's spanish salad
I believe her too....

It's just that I am enjoying this moment :dance: :aparty:

:lol: :haha:

MariaV
04-12-2005, 05:29 PM
:help: Moya

Exactly. WTF is wrong with Moya lately??? :rolleyes: Too bad I didn't see the match. :sad:

Rogiman
04-12-2005, 05:34 PM
Yes, Carlos is going down really fast... just like I thought he would.

Sjengster
04-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Moya screwed up the tiebreak badly, but credit where credit's due - I had never seen a single match of Puerta's until today, and boy is he impressive. The commentators were eager to pin him down as a poor man's Muster/Vilas, and he does share the leftiness and the strong single-handed backhand. He ground Moya down mentally and physically in the deciding set, the strength he gets on his groundstrokes and the intensity of his play are amazing. The only Argentine I've seen with a comparable style is Squillari, another lefty; they both play a long way back and muscle looping topspin groundies across the net all day, but I still found this match captivating in a way that the Nadal-Monfils grind yesterday wasn't.

Golfnduck
04-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Carlos :mad: :sad:
Why can't you beat this man?????

Sjengster
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Being a lefty, Puerta can get to his backhand side, and he uses short angles well on both sides to drag Moya out of court and slot away the easy volley. There aren't many people out there who can beat this man on clay at the moment, his 2005 record speaks for itself and was superior to Moya's going into this match. Moya needed to use the dropshot effectively to exploit Puerta's court positioning but he didn't execute on it well enough (most obviously at 5-1 in the TB), and he also dumped a number of routine service returns into the net - they had lefty swerve on them, but they were certainly returnable.

joeb_uk
04-12-2005, 05:47 PM
I really liked watching puerta play, very impressive hes physically a beast :yeah:
Surprised how hard he could hit from both sides, it was the first time i had seen him

Hendu
04-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Moya screwed up the tiebreak badly, but credit where credit's due - I had never seen a single match of Puerta's until today, and boy is he impressive. The commentators were eager to pin him down as a poor man's Muster/Vilas, and he does share the leftiness and the strong single-handed backhand. He ground Moya down mentally and physically in the deciding set, the strength he gets on his groundstrokes and the intensity of his play are amazing. The only Argentine I've seen with a comparable style is Squillari, another lefty; they both play a long way back and muscle looping topspin groundies across the net all day, but I still found this match captivating in a way that the Nadal-Monfils grind yesterday wasn't.

I don't see the resemblance... yes, they play from the baseline with lost of topspin, but thats everything they have in common.

Puerta plays nearer to the baseline, and frequently goes to the net, from time to time he plays serve and volley... something Squillari didn't do in his wildest dreams.

Although he has a very strong forehand, his best stroke is the one-handed backhand... he is good at the net (he plays doubles well), he also has a good serve...

He probably is the most complete argentine player along with Nalbandian and maybe Coria.

I never understood why he didn't do better on hardcourts... I think its a matter of confidence, he just has to play with a little less topspin... he has the game to go back to the top twenty, maybe better, who knows?...

TennisLurker
04-12-2005, 06:35 PM
This is the first time I see him this year, and the first time I see him playing this good in half a decade.
It seems Mariano is back to his 2000 form.
I like him more than the other Mariano.

The spin and power he gets on his backhand is great, Moya is a tall guy and he was hitting the ball sometimes above shoulder height

TennisLurker
04-12-2005, 06:46 PM
I agree with Sjengster, Squillari and Puerta are the 2 argie fat men who play like Muster.

tennischick
04-12-2005, 06:54 PM
Puerta flattens out his balls more than Squillari (that big waste of talent) who relies almost exclusively on topspin whereas Puerta can mix it up when he needs to. also Puerta uses much more power. back in the day Squillari might have looked powerful but by today's standards he's not. Puerta simply overwhelmed Moya.

Sjengster
04-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Puerta flattens out his balls more than Squillari (that big waste of talent) who relies almost exclusively on topspin whereas Puerta can mix it up when he needs to. also Puerta uses much more power. back in the day Squillari might have looked powerful but by today's standards he's not. Puerta simply overwhelmed Moya.

OK, but nevertheless, my point stands that Squillari's game is the closest to Puerta's of all the other Argentines. ;) Is the Squirrel headed for retirement, BTW? I can only remember seeing his losses, the most notable being the loss to Gasquet here three years ago. I suppose that bagel by Dent on clay must have told him the end was coming...

Hendu
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM

Squillari's forehand was huge, extremely powerfull... sadly, he used to play 100 kms away from the baseline...

While Puerta's backhand is very good, Squillari's was :tape: :tape:

Squillari and Puerta play different styles... Squillari was one dimensional, his whole game was his forehand... Puerta is a much better all around player, as I said in my previous post.

jazz_girl
04-12-2005, 07:04 PM
He's still playing challengers.

NATAS81
04-12-2005, 07:09 PM
No surprise here as Puerta comes off a clay tournament victory.

Moya still has it in him to go deep at RG, though.

His career stops there, however.

tennischick
04-12-2005, 07:17 PM
Squillari's forehand was huge, extremely powerfull... sadly, he used to play 100 kms away from the baseline...

While Puerta's backhand is very good, Squillari's was :tape: :tape:

Squillari and Puerta play different styles... Squillari was one dimensional, his whole game was his forehand... Puerta is a much better all around player, as I said in my previous post.
i agree. :worship: yes i forgot about the hugeness that was his forehand.

actually Puerta reminded me more of Rafa in terms of the ferocity with which he attacked Moya. and he reminded me of Coria in terms of the slyness with which he pretended to play in that second set when he was actually resting and preparing for the third set attack. :lol:

liptea
04-12-2005, 08:04 PM
My day just got infinitely worse. :sad: I didn't see the result until I got out of class. :sad: :sad: :sad:

bad gambler
04-12-2005, 08:24 PM
well done puerta :yeah:

alexito
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
puerta is the moya'nightmare, moya is the puerta'son. 3 time in this year.

Scotso
04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
Nice win for Puerta, but Moya has been downhill lately.

misyou25
04-12-2005, 08:46 PM
well done :yeah:

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 03:31 AM
Puerta if he keeps this form up would have to be a contender for Most Improved Player or Comeback Player of the year.

tennischick
04-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Puerta if he keeps this form up would have to be a contender for Most Improved Player or Comeback Player of the year.
nice idea! i hope he gets it. this match is worth watching again. altho' it's sad to see Moya crushed like this.

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 03:38 AM
nice idea! i hope he gets it. this match is worth watching again. altho' it's sad to see Moya crushed like this.

It's good to see the Door lose all the weight and his backhand has got better over time and with the battles with bulima and the near death experience. I am happy that he is showing some of his old form again, just make sure he signs those medical forms next time.

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Although he has a very strong forehand, his best stroke is the one-handed backhand... he is good at the net (he plays doubles well), he also has a good serve...

He probably is the most complete argentine player along with Nalbandian and maybe Coria.

I never understood why he didn't do better on hardcourts... I think its a matter of confidence, he just has to play with a little less topspin... he has the game to go back to the top twenty, maybe better, who knows?...

Puerta was in the Gaudio/Zabaleta junior group and he has the ability to do better on the hardcourts and he is quite a smart player on court as well, he knows how to play Moya and it showed. The backhand was impressive today.

Old Tanko Squilliari that man had a huge forehand and could run all day, but his backhand wasn't club style, but you're right Puerta can do more with his game than big Tanko ever could.

tennischick
04-13-2005, 03:43 AM
It's good to see the Door lose all the weight and his backhand has got better over time and with the battles with bulima and the near death experience. I am happy that he is showing some of his old form again, just make sure he signs those medical forms next time.
he's looking good. he is like totally throwing his entire body into some of these shots. poor Moya. i'm feeling really sorry for him now that i'm watching the match again :sad:

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 03:44 AM
he's looking good. he is like totally throwing his entire body into some of these shots. poor Moya. i'm feeling really sorry for him now that i'm watching the match again :sad:

I don't feel sorry for Moya he has won a Slam title and done very well over the time and he is still around, if he was in Corretja territory then I would for sure.

tennischick
04-13-2005, 03:47 AM
i just hope Puerta doesn't do a Ferrero and run out of energy before the tournament is even half-way over.

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 03:53 AM
He should be quite fit as he worked very hard over the break and he didn't play the weeks before for a while, so he should be ok.

Mayer is another thing all together and it'll be interesting to see how the Door plays the unorthodox one. He will only be going forward from here as he doesn't have many points to defend in respect to his ranking.

Bilbo
04-13-2005, 07:53 AM
I remember a few weeks ago when a lot of people asked who Puerta is and how he can beat good players on clay. Too funny.

Puerta is back in the top 5 on clay I would say.

Adman
04-13-2005, 07:55 AM
What a shame that Carlos lost, I wonder what the problem was. He was playing well but unfortunatlyhe lost.

Deivid23
04-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Yes, Carlos is going down really fast... just like I thought he would.

Carlos played well yest, he simply found a player who was better in decisive points. I like the fact that many people are counting out Moyá lately, wait and see, Carlos will make some heavy noise in a big clay tourney sooner than later. ;)

Action Jackson
04-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Carlos played well yest, he simply found a player who was better in decisive points. I like the fact that many people are counting out Moyá lately, wait and see, Carlos will make some heavy noise in a big clay tourney sooner than later. ;)

Puerta was the better player on the day and he knows how to play Moya. Once you learn that bandwagon jumping is very popular here and another rule if a player loses is down 0-15 in this 1st game of the match and lose, that was the point where they choked.

I don't write off a player like Moya on clay, then again I don't remember Costa or Gaudio being in good form before they won the big one, but I am not saying Moya will do this at all, just using an example not to write off people too soon.