HENMAN: FIVE MORE YEARS AT THE TOP [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

HENMAN: FIVE MORE YEARS AT THE TOP

In_Disguise
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
From SkySports, 11 Apr 2005

HENMAN: FIVE MORE YEARS AT THE TOP

Tim Henman believes he has the game to compete at the top level of tennis for another five years.

And the British number one insists that, even at the age of 30, he is still making improvements to his game.

His aim now is to follow the example of Andre Agassi, who is still playing competitive tennis in his mid-30s.

"I can think of three things in my game that have happened in the past month that are like lights going off in my head," Henman told The Times.

"There's a part of me that thinks 'why didn't I know this 10 years ago?' Some are slightly technical, others just a feeling, something golfers talk about all the time.

"The way I look at it is to be ready for what is going to happen in the next five years."

Henman feels his all-round game makes him a match for the young, big-hitters who many believe will dominate the game in years to come.

"People say 'Look at the way these kids hit the ball, you can't live with them.' But why is that such a big deal?

"Where do they play the game from? Can they hit a sliced backhand, what happens when they come into the net? Why would I play like they do? My style is totally different."

Henman begins his challenge for the Monte Carlo Masters series event today when he faces Mariano Zabaleta in the first round.

joeb_uk
04-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Hes lucky there was rain! because he was a set down and a break down, the rain may have saved him

In_Disguise
04-11-2005, 08:01 PM
well, all i can say is that Tim Henman is already a great player!

NATAS81
04-11-2005, 08:03 PM
It's amazing that he is able to keep his level of play up so far into his career given his demanding playing style.

robinhood
04-11-2005, 08:05 PM
Hes lucky there was rain! because he was a set down and a break down, the rain may have saved him

Or maybe just delaying the inevitable defeat. Come on, TIM!!!

robinhood
04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
As for the article, it's great that he still is so much optimistic about this career, but 5 more years? That sounds TOO optimistic. Maybe he will keep going until he wins the Wimbledon, and hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later. Good luck, man.

Angle Queen
04-11-2005, 08:07 PM
:rocker:

Tim!

I'm a firm believer that men don't reach their athletic prime (physical, mental and sports-specific skills) until their late 20s, early 30s (look what we have to look forward to from Fed, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick :yeah: )...so five more outa Tim...would be nice.

MissMoJo
04-11-2005, 08:14 PM
More Timmy!!! :banana: :yeah:

NATAS81
04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
:rocker:

Tim!

I'm a firm believer that men don't reach their athletic prime (physical, mental and sports-specific skills) until their late 20s, early 30s (look what we have to look forward to from Fed, Hewitt, Safin, Roddick :yeah: )...so five more outa Tim...would be nice.
I Agree, though tennis seems to be more demanding physically so therefore you don't see many players playing until the age 35-40 as you do in baseball, basketball, etc..

Sjengster
04-11-2005, 08:52 PM
On the evidence of today's match, I'm not sure he has five more years left of solid results on clay - if the draw is tough, he will struggle. And I'm not sure he can maintain the kind of fitness Agassi has considering that his style takes more out of the body than the baseline style does, let's not forget the injury problems he's had with the shoulder and back in the last couple of years... I certainly hope he can be competitive into 2007, it will be interesting to see whether he can live with the younger generation and, of course, still challenge for Wimbledon. Lord knows, we don't have much coming up to replace him, except a young talent who seems to be taking the scenic route towards the Top 50 goal that he has set himself this year.

Bilbo
04-11-2005, 11:44 PM
That's true, Agassi's style it taking a maximum of energy and he's still here playing tennis at the age of 35 better than Henman.

WyveN
04-11-2005, 11:55 PM
Agassi took breaks during his prime years, thats the main reason he is still in such good condition at 35.

Bilbo
04-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Agassi took breaks during his prime years, thats the main reason he is still in such good condition at 35.

bullshit

arcus
04-12-2005, 12:07 AM
I like the fact that some of the players are considering a longer career nowadays.
Some times they are physically fit enough to play, but jsut get mentally ground down. Seems to me like the serve volleyers mature later as players and last longers. agassi and navratilova have set a precedent in this era for longevity. I think its good, because if the players anticipate longer careers, maybe they won't feel so pressurized to play every week and never take time off to unwind or develop their games.

No matter what Pat Mac says, Tim Henman is quality and he's good for the game.

Gotta love seeing S+V vs baseline play.

WyveN
04-12-2005, 12:49 AM
bullshit

so much evidence to support your view

Daniel
04-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Go Mariano beat Tim and he will change his mind .

PaulieM
04-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Go Mariano beat Tim and he will change his mind .
:fiery: noooooo! yay timmy please stay around for a few more years :rocker2:

Bilbo
04-12-2005, 09:50 AM
so much evidence to support your view

Agassi matches played: 1087
Full season played: 17

The only small break he had was in 1997 his worst season when he played some challenger to make the best comeback ever seen in tennis. Even at this time he was working very hard and never gave up.

Henman matches played: 668
Full season played: 9

You see the difference? Agassi is a one-hit wonder when it comes to fitness, success and talent at the age of 35 in tennis. Henman can only dream of that. :o

bad gambler
04-12-2005, 10:59 AM
It's amazing that he is able to keep his level of play up so far into his career given his demanding playing style.

yes especially as he continually chips and charges, and charges his winners to the opponents credit card

Auscon
04-12-2005, 02:06 PM
great to hear, and hopefully when he does retire it'll be on his terms and not because of injury

fifiricci
04-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Nice start to staying at the top, Tim! :rolleyes:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-12-2005, 05:54 PM
:sobbing: not 5 more years of him noooooooooooo

Peoples
04-12-2005, 05:58 PM
I think he can.