The Lleyki article thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Lleyki article thread

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:42 AM
Well we have a Lleyki picture thread so I figured we might as well have a Lleyki article thread! Now unlike the pictures, I don't have millions of Lleyki articles so please feel free to add :D I'll start off with those that I can find :kiss: And don't be afraid to post interviews either :bounce:

Angele
Kim keeps Lleyton waiting

01nov02

LLEYTON HEWITT will have to go the full five sets before Kim Clijsters agrees to be his wife after the Belgian revealed yesterday she had no intentions of getting married soon.

The world No. 1's long-time girlfriend has told Belgium's Sport Magazine that, unlike her compatriot Justine Henin who gets married this month, she has no intentions just yet of wedding Hewitt.
"I'll get married when I'm able to spend my free time with my husband, which is far from being the case right now," Clijsters said.

"My life is too chaotic."

Clijsters' life is also pretty good right now. She has three singles titles to her credit in 2002 and reached a career-high ranking of No. 3 in March.

She has had a few injury concerns but believes the right shoulder that has troubled her for most of this year has now cleared up.

"I no longer have to pull back from putting everything into a training session or a match. I don't have any worries for the 2003 season," she said.

Angele
We may have found compelling evidence that Lleyton Hewitt loves himself. No, not the ponytail, the confident demeanor or the self-motivational yelps during matches.

The evidence was provided when his girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, sat with the Hewitt family in the stands on Tuesday night.

Clijsters was seated directly in front of Lleyton's mother, Cherilyn, and sister Jaslyn. If you didn't know who she was - and one Seven commentator did not - you would have guessed she was another Hewitt sister.

She has fair hair, blue eyes and a dimpled chin. Frankly, she looks like Lleyton. People are supposed to be attracted to opposites, or maybe to someone like mum or dad. But if they choose to partner someone who resembles themselves, self-love could be the motivation. Or something else. Explanations are better left to Dr Freud's disciples.

"That's what I've heard," said Clijsters of her uncanny resemblance to her other half. "A lot of people, yeah, say that we could be brother and sister."

Clijsters, 17, and Hewitt, 19, share other traits, admittedly superficial ones. Most obviously, they are damn good players - Clijsters is Belgium's highest-ranked female (18).

Their dads were both professional footballers: Glynn Hewitt played for Glenelg in South Australia and a handful of games for Richmond, while Lei Clijsters was one of Belgium's most famous soccer stars, a World Cup player. (He coaches a third-division club, Diest).

Clijsters, like Hewitt, likes to slug it out from the baseline and doesn't have a huge serve. She, too, relies on nimble feet and has a mean two-handed backhand.

Like her boyfriend, she can win on bad days and doesn't fold in the face of adversity.

Yesterday, after a late evening watching Hewitt's hamstrung heroics, she played well below par - her own estimation - against Russian Alina Jidkova but still won 6-3 7-6 (7-5).

The swirling wind on court two made for ugly tennis. Clijsters had a poor start and, at 0-1 and 30-40, committed an error that is unheard of in grand slam tennis.

On her second serve, she swiped and missed the ball, connecting only with Melbourne air. Double-fault. Game Jidkova. 2-0.

"That's the first time that's ever happened," said Clijsters of her fresh-air shot. "While I was bringing my racket up, the wind just blew the ball away."

In the stands, Hewitt, his coach Darren Cahill and a small entourage provided moral support. Unlike Hewitt, Clijsters did not question any calls, pump the fist or do anything that could be construed as annoying. She quietly took over the match, overcoming the wind and a horrible unforced error count (56 to her opponent's 36).

The media, keen on any sneaky question that introduced the topic of Hewitt, later asked if all the excitement of the previous evening had left her flattened. It hadn't.

"That had nothing to do with that . . . we're both playing," she said. "I'm focusing on my matches. I'm not focusing on his matches. It's good that he wins and I'm happy for him. My main goal is to keep focused."

For the record, Hewitt and Clijsters are said to have met at the Australian Open last year, but the romance didn't bloom until the Ericsson Open in Miami last March. By the French Open, he had been to Belgium to meet the parents. In December, when Hewitt was struggling with a breathing ailment that has since been diagnosed as a sinus problem, he was still prepared to act as warm-up partner for Clijsters before one of her biggest matches, against Martina Hingis in the final at Hilderstadt (she lost).

Clijsters is Flemish-Belgian and thus fluent in three languages: Dutch, French and English. She handled the inevitable questions about Hewitt in the latter tongue fluently, with good grace and without a skerrick of hostility.

Hewitt has his matches, she has hers. Neither will be distracted. But so long as they keep winning, the questions about Lleyton and Kim will keep coming.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:46 AM
A little funny one from the bladder... and don't worry people, it's not true :p

Kim Clijsters' parents have banned Lleyton Hewitt from their Belgian residence after a recent brunch with the Aussie tennis ace turned into a "four hour nightmare."
Mr. and Mrs. Clijsters were reported to have been very happy with their daughter Kim's relationship with the Hewitt, until the morning he offered to "whip up a late brekky for everyone."

"He decided to start with some soft-boiled eggs," said Mr. Clijsters. "Which was fine by us. But two seconds after he'd dropped the eggs in the water, he put his face into the saucepan and started screaming, 'C'mon! C'mon!' I told him to ease up a bit, but he told me to get the hell out of the kitchen. It was an awful business. Every time one of the eggs bobbled to the surface of the boiling water, he'd give it an awful spray."

Mrs. Clijsters found the ordeal one of her worst ever breakfast experiences. "He should have just let the eggs alone," she said. "It would only have taken three minutes."

Hewitt lost patience and grabbed the eggs out of the water after only forty seconds.

"Watching him hold onto those scalding hot eggs, running round and round the kitchen, shouting, pumping his fists, going red in the face - I couldn't help wondering if this was the right boy for my Kimmy," said Mrs. Clijsters.

After berating the toaster for ineptness, Hewitt placed the eggs on the middle shelf of the Clijsters' oven. He set the temperature to the maximum of 400 C.

"That really frightened me," said Mrs. Clijsters. "To watch him with his head in an overheating oven, screaming 'C'mon!' at half a dozen eggs - it was worse than the night the fox got into the hen-house. I thought it would ever end."

Kim Clijsters defended her intense boyfriends antics, claiming her mum and dad just didn't understand him, and that Lleyton's behaviour was simply part of the way he cooked his eggs.

However, even Kim's loyalty was tested after Lleyton raced off with the eggs and holed himself up in the sitting room with a hairdryer, a bic lighter, and Mr. Clijsters old soldering iron. "C'mon! C'mon!" was all the Clijsters family heard for the next two hours.

The grueling egg ordeal was only ended when Kim's Swiss backpacker friend Martina dropped by to see how everyone was going.

"Everything was mad," said Mr. Clijsters. "But then Martina arrived. She was like a baboon. Wearing this hilarious outfit and primping and preening. All of a sudden people were laughing like drains, falling this way and that; it was a miracle. Even Lleyton began to smile. I'd like to call Lleyton 'Martina', but I'm afraid of what his reaction might be."

Australian cricketer Mark Waugh refused to comment on the issue, citing legal advice.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:46 AM
Just a simple love story

by Jon Wertheim, Sports Illustrated

Nice as it is, Singapore's Changi International Airport is not a place you'd want to kill 12 hours waiting for your boyfriend. But last weekend Kim Clijsters, the No. 4 player on the WTA Tour, arrived on a flight from Belgium and then spent half a day aimlessly strolling the concourses, getting a massage and doing some heavy-duty duty-free shopping. Eventually her beau, Lleyton Hewitt, the top player on the ATP Tour, flew in from China. We can only hope that Hewitt had the good sense, knowing he was in arrears, to pay for dinner before they left together on a flight to Australia.

Tennis has had a rich history of intramural romances. Chris Evert and Jimmy Connors were briefly engaged in the 1970s, and Evert eventually married another pro, John Lloyd. Though Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf didn't date until after her retirement in 1999, they need a separate wing on their house to accommodate all their trophies. Jennifer Capriati and Xavier Malisse were inseparable for a year; the day they parted company, they resuscitated their careers.

Still, it's safe to say that few couples have had to endure the logistical hurdles of Hewitt, 21, and Clijsters, 19. He's based in Adelaide, Australia, the down under of Down Under, and she calls Bree, Belgium, home. Together, they log tens of thousand of air miles and rack up four-figure monthly phone bills to keep the flame burning. "It's not easy," said Clijsters, who spends three months a year with Hewitt in Australia. "When it's possible, we try to be together when one of us is playing and the other has a week off."

Whatever, it hasn't hurt their games. Earlier this month Clijsters upset top-ranked Serena Williams in the final to win the WTA Tour's year-end championship in Los Angeles. It marked the biggest title of her career. Five days later, Hewitt equaled her feat, winning the Masters Cup -- the men's season-ending lollapalooza -- in front of an SRO crowd in Shanghai. In so doing, he defended his year-end No. 1 ranking. The couple's combined haul from the two events: $2.1 million, a Porsche Carrera (hers) and a Mercedes CLK 320 (his). "I guess I get 50 percent of that," said Hewitt. "So it's all right."

By all outward appearances, this is a classic case of opposites attracting. Clijsters is cavity-inducing sweet and exceptionally popular on tour -- she makes a habit of making unpublicized visits to children's hospitals during tournaments -- if a bit naive at times. Asked in L.A. whether her muscular legs were a factor in her success, Clijsters was puzzled: "If I would have no legs, I wouldn't have won." Hewitt, on the other hand, has more than a little "mongrel in him," as the Aussies would say. A fierce fighter on the court, it sometimes seems like he is shouldering a chip the size of Ayers Rock. Before his first match in Shanghai, he spent hours on a speakerphone appealing a $100,000 fine he incurred from the ATP last summer for blowing off a mandatory television interview.

So, too, is their tennis a study in contrasts. At 5-foot-10, Clijsters is a charter member of the so-called Big Babe Brigade, a fluid athlete equipped with the arsenal to engage the Williams juggernaut. (In addition to her defeat of Serena, Clijsters beat Venus twice in 2002.) Hewitt is, ahem, listed at 5-10 and plays an unrelenting, counterpunching style. Aside from blinding quickness, his greatest asset is an outsized heart that stems from a lifetime of being the little guy eager to prove he belongs.

Clijsters and Hewitt met by serendipity. Sort of. In the winter of 2000, Hewitt invited Clijsters to a party for Pat Rafter, a player women don't like so much as they lap him up. Clijsters eagerly accepted, and only later realized Hewitt invited her as his date and not so she could meet Rafter. In nearly three years together, Hewitt and Clijsters have discovered the numerous benefits of dating someone in the same line of work. They practice together and critique the other's game. Watching Clijsters, Hewitt has come to appreciate the virtues of a calm demeanor. Sitting in Hewitt's box, Clijsters has learned what she calls, "the power of having strong self-confidence and believing in yourself." Perhaps above all, they are kindred spirits in a sport where self-absorption is all but an occupational requirement.

With Hewitt already on top and Clijsters just starting to enter her prime, the two have a chance to replicate Connors and Evert's feat of simultaneously being the No. 1 player on their respective tours. For the time being, they are taking a well-deserved vacation. After their airport rendezvous, they connected to a flight bound for Adelaide to drop off their bags. They then headed to an isolated oceanside resort in Queensland. According to Hewitt's reps, they are decompressing after an exhausting year and toasting their success at their respective year-end events. Singapore Slings, no doubt. And better make it a double.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:48 AM
This one's for my $1.37m heroine
By DARREN WALTON in Shanghai
14nov02
FORGET the top ranking, Lleyton Hewitt is under pressure to win the Tennis Masters Cup this week for purely domestic reasons.

He is well aware he has to claim the title after his girlfriend banked the biggest pay cheque of her career.

While Hewitt says he isn't yet ready to marry Kim Clijsters, there's no doubt he and the Belgian star are already one big happy family.

Clijsters picked up $1.37 million for winning the women's season-ending tennis championship in Los Angeles on Monday.

"I guess I get 50 per cent of that, so that's all right," Hewitt said after opening his quest for the men's season-ending title in Shanghai with a hard-fought win over French Open champion Albert Costa.

The 21-year-old acknowledged it would be another nice pay day if he could pocket the winner's cheque for $1.25m if he snared a second straight Masters Cup.

But with $214,500 on offer for every pool win at the New Shanghai International Expo Centre plus another $661,500 for a semi-final victory, Hewitt's status as the breadwinner is not under threat by Clijsters' big collect.

Hewitt is at ease talking about his girlfriend of three years, and the two support one another courtside at tournaments around the world whenever the opportunity allows.

So where did Hewitt escape the limelight after winning Wimbledon to celebrate his greatest triumph?

Clijsters' Belgian base, of course.

But Hewitt said Clijsters wouldn't be in Shanghai this week as he bids to fend off the challenge from Andre Agassi to retain his year-end No. 1 ranking.

But he had been on the telephone to congratulate her, and his adoration for the 19-year-old was not hard to see when he said she was "over the moon" after claiming a rare winning double, defeating Venus and Serena Williams.

"It's obviously the biggest moment in her so far and to beat the Williams sisters back to back, it's not something that a lot of players can say they've done, especially this year, the way they've dominated the sport," he said.

"So it's an incredible achievement.

"And she doesn't have a lot of points to defend really, I don't think.

"(She reached) the semis of the Aussie (Open) but, apart from that, she's got a good chance to go even higher in the rankings, I believe."

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:49 AM
Thursday, May 30, 2002

Love All at Wimbledon

Ronald Atkin

Everyone knows that Paris is for lovers. So, too, is Wimbledon, even if you are a player. At this year's Championships the spotlight will fall on the high-ranking romance between Lleyton Hewitt, world number one and reigning US Open champion, and Kim Clijsters, the 18-year-old from Belgium who has established herself in the top five of women's tennis.

Although in the past Wimbledon honours have occasionally gone to husband and wife teams, as well as brothers and sisters, in the doubles events, it is only in recent years that true singles romance, rather than family love, has hit the headlines.

The finest example, known as the Year of the Lovers, came in 1974 when Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert celebrated their engagement by winning the singles titles on Centre Court.

Connors, aged 21, and Evert, 19, were both playing the Championships for the third time. Having been a quarter-finalist in both 1972 and 1973, the third-seeded Connors defeated the veteran Ken Rosewall for the loss of only six games to win the title.

Evert, who had been Semi-Finalist on her debut in 1972 and finalist the following year, made the natural progression to Champion by defeating Russia's Olga Morozova as second seed to win the first of her three Wimbledon singles crowns.

To complete the story, it would have been ideal if they had won the mixed doubles, too. They did in fact enter and were seeded second, but scratched in the Third Round rather than prejudice their singles ambitions.

Although the Evert-Connors relationship did not last, Wimbledon was the background to three other relationships. Bjorn Borg married the Romanian player Mariana Simionescu a month after winning his fifth consecutive Wimbledon title in 1980 (though they had first met at the French Open four years earlier), and Evert dated another tennis player, Britain's John Lloyd, for the first time at the 1978 Wimbledon. They married a year later.

The Hewitt-Clijsters romance is an enduring one. They first met at the Australian Open two and a half years ago, when Lleyton was 18 and Kim a mere 16, and it certainly provided consolation for Clijsters on her debut there, since she lost in the first round (to a fellow Belgian, Dominique Van Roost). Hewitt, for the record, went on to the fourth round, which remains his best showing at his home Grand Slam.

Since then, despite the demands of their different circuits, they have remained close. When tournaments and long distances separate them, the two young people keep in regular touch by phone. When their events are side by side, so are Lleyton and Kim.

Hewitt told me last month, "For me, our friendship is great, because we both know the pressure involved in tennis. We both understand what's going on. Kim is four in the world at the moment, aged 18, and has a great career ahead of her.

"It's good to know what we are both going through and the feelings we have. We know when we need to stay apart from each other but if I need to talk to someone about tennis she can understand what I am going through, and the same applies when she wants to talk to me. I also like watching Kim play - but I wouldn't go to women's tennis otherwise!"

Clijsters, who was runner-up at last year's French Open to Jennifer Capriati after a 12-10 final set, says, "I know we're both very young, but I feel so comfortable with him. We can't be together every week, but that is what makes it so special."

On the occasions when they are together, time is clearly important and Kim admits, "My parents sometimes get fed up when I'm with Lleyton because I keep forgetting to call them.

"What Lleyton does with his career definitely helps me on court but when we are together we hardly ever talk about tennis. He comes to watch my matches and I watch his, but once we are together it is different."

In October 2000 both Hewitt and Clijsters reached the final of tournaments in Germany, he in Stuttgart, she in Leipzig. He lost in five sets to Wayne Ferreira, she won in three against Elena Likhovtseva. Afterwards they bridged the 200-mile gap with a phone call, part-congratulation, part-commiseration.

An outstanding memory of the 2000 Davis Cup final between Spain and Australia in Barcelona was of Clijsters at courtside, resplendent in Australian colours of green and gold, cheering on her boyfriend as enthusiastically as any native-born Aussie.

It may be that they were initially drawn together by a similar sporting background. Hewitt's father, Glynn, is a former Australian Rules player and his mother Cherilyn is a physical education teacher.

Kim's father Leo is a former international footballer who represented Belgium 40 times and her mother Els was national junior gymnastics champion.

There was, alas, no happy ending for the marriages of Borg and Evert. Simionescu's marriage to Borg in July 1980 ended in divorce following Bjorn's career burn-out, while Chris Evert, who became Mrs Evert Lloyd on tennis scoreboards following her marriage to John in April 1979, reverted to just plain Evert when they split up in 1984 and subsequently divorced.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:50 AM
Clijsters soaring on a natural high May 18
by Neil Harman

THE antidote to the prevailing ills of women’s tennis — Martina’s foot, Venus’s wrist, Anna’s thigh, Lindsay’s knee, Mary’s bruised ego — bursts out laughing as the gentleman on the next table empties the entire contents of the salt cellar on to his rocket salad. “I’m sorry, it was just so funny,” Kim Clijsters, needing time to recover her composure, says. No wonder that Lleyton Hewitt is besotted with her.
Few people in sport chuckle quite as often or unselfconsciously as Clijsters. Few take sport and its burdens less seriously (though she was indignant when Jane Harvey, the British umpire, refused to get out of her chair on Thursday and inspect a mark as she ought, and turned that anger to thrashing Tatiana Panova). Few have so much to offer as the blue-eyed Belgian, who also happens to be the only person in tennis who has swept the men’s No 1 off his feet.

The bond between Hewitt and Clijsters has raised neither the eyebrows nor camera lenses that were voraciously attracted to Chris Evert’s tangled romances with Jimmy Connors and John Lloyd and Bjorn Borg’s marriage to Mariana Simionescu, yet it is every bit as rich with interest. They are rarely off the telephone (four calls a day is the bare minimum), they are completely head over heels and yet their form continues to soar. It is an extremely rare phenomenon.

“I know we’re both very young, but I feel so comfortable with him,” Clijsters, 19 next month, says. “We can’t be together every week but that is what makes it so special. He will call after his match today and my parents sometimes get pissed because when I’m with Lleyton I keep forgetting to call them. What he does with his career definitely helps me on the court but we hardly talk about tennis. He comes to watch my matches, I watch his, but once we are together, it is different.”

Stop anyone in the street and ask them to name the No 3 in the women’s game — who meets Justine Henin, her fellow Belgian, in the Italian Open semi-finals today — and one suspects you would get many different answers, nine out of ten wrong.

Clijsters’s progress since turning professional before her 15th birthday has been more purposeful than meteoric, yet she has garnered seven titles on the Sanex WTA Tour, the latest in Hamburg last month when she defeated Venus Williams in the final. Her unfashionable upbringing helps her to stay sane — well away from the insatiable demands of success that raised Jennifer Capriati to untold heights more than a decade ago, only to plunge her back down when too many wrong vibes mixed up her head.

Capriati’s rejuvenation — she returned to the No 1 spot yesterday — reminds Clijsters that her first recollection of tennis was watching Jennifer reach the French Open semifinals in 1990. “She was wearing Diadora gear and I wore Diadora as an 8-year-old running around at my local club,” she says. “I’m sure it was then I wanted to be just like her.”

How remarkable that, 11 years later, the French Open final should pit Capriati and Clijsters in a match of many memorable moments. The Belgian, at 17, was two points away from a grand slam snaffled by Capriati 12-10 in the final set but can remember nothing of it. Her most vivid memory of Paris was eating in the same Indian restaurant after her matches and the same Italian on her days off. “It used to drive Lleyton and his family crazy, going back to those same places, but I can be very superstitious,” she says.

“People are asking me if I’m scared of going back, but what is there to be scared of? I want to be out there on Centre Court, enjoying the feeling again. One thing I do recall is looking at my Dad a lot in the stands; he was sitting at the back, well away from anyone, not wanting to speak to people. He calms me down as well — it’s a pity he can’t be around more often on the tour.”

Clijsters’s father, Leo, was Belgium’s Footballer of the Year in 1988 and is presently the coach of a second division side. He runs his daughter’s affairs from home; she is the only prominent player not represented by a management company. “I have never been a part of that, I don’t see the need,” she says.

She is the resident happy face of women’s tennis — when the Tour wants happy picture specials, it asks Kim, as when it wants someone to visit a local hospital to pay care and attention to sick kids.

“I’m the oldest of 13 cousins on my Mum’s side and ten on my Dad’s, and whenever I’m home I like to play games,, take the older ones to the movies, or go bowling. I don’t see why I should have to change my personality just because I’m ranked higher. I see a lot of juniors I knew who have changed their character completely and that’s sad.”

Her coach, Carl Maes, first saw Clijsters as a spunky 8-year-old and went full time on the road with her in 1996. “My main concern is that Kim stays hungry and her relationship with Lleyton hasn’t affected that at all,” he says. “Kim is a very emotionally intuitive player, not one with whom you rationalise victories or defeats. I try to influence the flow, rather than try to control her. But I know she and Lleyton could stop tomorrow — they are both millionaires, after all.”

No sign of that. Clijsters talks about the obsessive competitive nature of her beau. She is still bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, as her 6-1, 6-3 victory over Sandrine Testud, of France, in the quarter-finals of the Italian Open yesterday testified. “I love big matches. I qualified for my first year at Wimbledon in 1999 and lost to Steffi Graf in what was her last time there and I can tell my kids that.”

Lleyton Hewitt a father. There’s a thought.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:53 AM
KIM CLIJSTERS DISCUSSES HER BOYFRIEND LLEYTON HEWITT
With Michael Barkann

KC: A lot of people see him differently. He's so motivated. He loves to compete. A lot of people see him aggressive on the court. I like that about him. He's a completely different person on the court than off. Actually, he's really shy and very calm. He's completely different.

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:56 AM
Love all: Lleyton and his bubbly girlfriend
By HELEN McCABE in The Netherlands
24jun01
AS Lleyton Hewitt prepared for the start of Wimbledon tomorrow he found time for some playful moments with his girlfriend Kim Clijsters.

Clijsters, who yesterday brushed Jelena Dokic out of the Heineken Trophy in Holland, amused herself by blowing bubble gum in Hewitt's face as the couple returned from an intimate dinner.
Sporting his new-look shaved head, Hewitt responded by mimicking Clijsters, 18, before leaning over to kiss her on the cheek.
Expectations grew that the fifth-seeded Hewitt could lift the Wimbledon title when he beat Belgian Gilles Elseneer to reach the semi-finals of the Heineken Trophy yesterday.
"I give myself a good chance at Wimbledon, an outside chance," said Hewitt, who had a confidence-boosting win over seven-time champion Pete Sampras on the way to defending his Queen's title. "I'm feeling good. The last week and a half has been really enjoyable."
Hewitt and Clijsters spent just over an hour at a Chinese restaurant in Den Bosch, where local diners seemed oblivious to the high-profile sporting duo's identity, before they strolled back to the modest Nuland Hotel.
Hewitt, 20, who is reluctant to talk publicly about his relationship laughed and held Clijsters' hand over the table as he talked animatedly about the day's play.
Afterwards the pair stepped out onto the major highway, not far from the Rosmalen tennis stadium and again joined hands for the short walk home.
Both go into Wimbledon in top form. Clijsters was runner-up in the French Open.
"We've both been playing well in different tournaments," Hewett said later.
"Obviously mine has come from playing in Queen's last week . . . she's probably still got that self-belief in herself after making the final of the French Open."
Throughout the tournament, Clijsters continued to wear an elegant gold ring with a single diamond on her wedding finger.
It is understood friends of the couple on the international tennis circuit believe the pair are very much in love.
Hewitt is currently ranked number five in the world while Clijsters is ranked seven.
However, they were both seeded top in Holland.
The couple spent every spare minute in each other's company by catching the same car to and from the stadium and sharing a $135 room away from the other guests behind large metal gates.
In the morning they ate breakfast together and during the day Hewitt showed his devotion by sitting through as many of her games as he could.
At tense moments in the games he could be seen giving her an occasional nod of support.
Hewitt was also joined in Europe by his best mate from Emmanuel College in Adelaide Hayden Eckermann, 20, and his brother Jarred, 18.
"It's good just to have a coupla of the boys come over for this stretch," Hewett said.
"They did it last year and they're doing it again this year."
"It's hard coming through a sort of long period in Europe . . . so I hadn't seen all my mates for awhile so it's nice just to get back that feeling even though it is a long way back from Australia. It's that connection of being home, anyway."
Hayden told The Sunday Telegraph he has known Hewitt since they were in the seventh grade at school and have been best mates ever since.
He said Hewitt seemed to like having him around to support him during the games.
"He likes it and it's good. He looks over at us and it's good for us to watch him play," he said.
Aside from being responsible for shaving Hewitt's head, the old school buddies also helped out at practice sessions and joined him in the stands to watch Clijsters.
"She's a really nice girl," Hayden said.
While Hewitt remains cautious about his chances at Wimbledon, reigning champion Pete Sampras believes the feisty Australian has what it takes.
"I would almost rather play him on hardcourt rather than grass," said Sampras in a startling admission from a man who has won 53 of his past 54 matches at Wimbledon for seven crowns.
"After he beat me in the (Queens) final last year, I thought he would go further.
"But I think he'll break through this year and do well.
"He has the mental attitude and the wheels. He moves unbelievably well on grass. All the great Wimbledon champions have had that great mobility – (Bjorn) Borg, (John) McEnroe; they could all move."

Angele
12-18-2002, 12:59 AM
Some articles that are scanned and would take too long to type up :p

http://www.lleytonhewitt.biz/articleslleyton/images/rosmalen01/lleykim.jpg

http://www.lleytonhewitt.biz/articleslleyton/newspapers.htm

Angele
12-18-2002, 01:00 AM
Hopelessly devoted

Jon Henderson
Sunday November 4, 2001
The Observer

'Emotionally I didn't have anything left for my marriage'

Lleyton Hewitt, A guest at the home of his Belgian girlfriend, Kim Clijsters, decides to cook brunch for the family, starting with soft-boiled eggs. Two seconds after he has dropped the eggs in the water, he puts his face in the saucepan and screams, 'C'mon! C'mon!' Mr Clijsters tells him to ease up a bit, but is ordered to get the hell out of the kitchen.

The scene may be the figment of the fertile imagination of an internet scribbler, but still it tells us something about Hewitt, the 20-year-old from Adelaide who is challenging Gustavo Kuerten to become the year's most successful player. Apart from his tennis-playing ability, two things about him clearly stand out in the public perception: his rattiness and his courtship of Clijsters. Empirical evidence suggests the irritability will last longer. But are Hewitt and Clijsters the couple who can confound the record of failed tennis-circuit romances involving celebrity players?

If they are not, we may have to conclude that Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf have found the only formula that works - fancy each other by all means, but don't do anything about it until one of you stops playing.

Hewitt's well-documented belligerence - his outbursts have included a rant at the 'stupidity of the Australian public' and calling a linesman at the French Open 'spastic' - is curiously at odds with his courtship of the 18-year-old Clijsters, which he has conducted with quaint, almost boy-next-door devotion. He likes the fact that not only do his parents approve of her but they also get on with Mr and Mrs Clijsters, to the point where the families have stayed together, and he doesn't obviously indulge her even though he has the means to do so. Their relationship has lasted for nearly two years now, which means it is already one of the more successful liaisons between players on the professional circuit.

Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert had a famous fling - 'hot and heavy', according to one chronicler of these things - and became engaged in 1974, but parted soon after that. A few years later, John McEnroe's relationship with the promising Californian player Stacy Margolin withered in the intense glare of media interest. This interest reached its height during Wimbledon 1981 when a fight broke out between journalists - basically, tennis writers against news hounds - at a press conference after McEnroe was asked whether he and Margolin had split up.

More recently, players who have become items but then separated have included Graf and Alexander Mronz, Andrei Medvedev and Anke Huber, Xavier Malisse and Jennifer Capriati, and Magnus Norman and Martina Hingis. Inevitably, Anna Kournikova has been linked with a number of players - Nicolas Lapentti and Mark Philippoussis to name but two - but she has avoided enduring relationships with any of them.

Of those partnerships that have led to marriage, there have been some eminent failures. Evert and the British player John Lloyd fell foul of what lawyers like to call irreconcilable differences, and Bjorn Borg and the Romanian Marianna Simionescu, who had devotedly followed the Swede through his Grand Slam triumphs, were not married for long. The successes have tended to involve lesser-known players such as Robert Seguso and Carling Bassett, and Petr Korda and Regina Rajchrtova.

Maybe, then, Agassi and Graf, who married on 22 October and became first-time parents four days later when their 'wonderful gift' Jaden Gil (that's a boy) was born, have found the answer. Their relationship only really got going after Graf stopped playing in August 1999. Up until then Agassi had merely admired her from afar, although three years ago he did confess to his good friend Boris Becker that he was smitten. Now, judging by last week's pictures, they are living in a state of postnuptial/natal bliss.

Evert says the strain of being the world number one and a wife were too much. 'Emotionally, I didn't have anything left for my marriage [to Lloyd],' she says. 'Andy [Mill, her second husband] travelled with me for two years before I retired. The timing was perfect. I was at a different stage in my life.' Evert believes relationships and marriage are all right for 'the average woman player on tour', but for those at the top of the rankings, who have 'that 100 per cent intensity and focus on tennis, I'm not sure they are'.

All of which illustrates the difficulties that lie ahead for Hewitt and Clijsters, even if they are, in the words of one Australian journalist, still 'totally devoted. Real love birds'. Touchingly, Hewitt and his parents stayed behind in Paris last June to watch Clijsters play in the French Open final against Capriati. And Clijsters was there when Hewitt won the US Open in New York in September. At the celebratory dinner that followed, Hewitt and Clijsters, according to a newspaper report, 'affectionately nuzzled, held hands and kissed' for much of the time.

Last week, after Hewitt lost early in Paris, he went straight to Munich to watch Clijsters in the women's end-of-season championship rather than return home to Australia.

And it is not as if any of this has adversely affected their performances on the tennis court. After winning in New York, Hewitt steered Australia to victory in the Davis Cup semi-final against Sweden and then won the Japan Cup in Tokyo, which helped to move him into second place behind Kuerten in the year's Champions Race. On present form, he will be hard to bet against when he competes in Sydney next week in the Masters Cup for the eight outstanding players of 2001.

Clijsters, meanwhile, has maintained her good form after the disappointment of narrowly losing that wonderful final against Capriati in Paris. Her recent victories in Leipzig and Luxembourg were her fifth and sixth titles and she is poised to take over from Hingis as Europe's main challenger to American dominance of the women's tour.

As the scene at the Clijsters household unfolds, the internet scribbler describes how Kim tries to calm her parents by saying Lleyton's behaviour is simply part of the way he cooks his eggs, which again is not altogether ridiculous. 'I really enjoy it when he does all those things,' Clijsters said at this year's Australian Open when asked about Hewitt's on-court antics. Has tennis ever known such devotion?

Angele
12-18-2002, 01:08 AM
07/28/02

Lleyton Hewitt Thrills Fans

They screamed. They cheered. Lleyton Hewitt, the world's No. 1 player, was greeted like a rock star at Lever 2000 Day when he appeared Sunday for a question and answer session at the 2002 Tennis Masters Canada.

The fiery Australian and Wimbledon champ spent 15-minutes on the Main Stage, signing autographs while he answered fans' questions.

Clearly, Hewitt is as articulate off court as he is magical on it. Here's what he said: Asked whether he ever considered changing careers, he answered: "No, things are going alright at the moment. It was my dream to get to No. 1 in the world at the age of 21. " What was his first reaction after winning Wimbledon? "It was relief it was over. Two weeks is a long time with seven best-of-five matches."

What is his favorite city or tennis stadium? "Adelaide, my hometown. I haven't been home since February and it's nice to be able to sleep in your own bed and put your feet up. As for the stadium. Wimbledon Centre Court is a nice play to play with great atmosphere and a lot of tradition."

On whether it's hard to keep his relationship going with women's tennis star Kim Clijsters because they both travel so much, he responded: "Yeah, it's tough. But we try to play as many tournaments as we can together. And then we have weeks off. In one way it's easy because we both know the pressure of being in the top five in the world at such a young age."

How does he feel about so much travel? "You get sick of it," he said. "But getting better at tennis is one of the things that drives you on." Finally he was asked, what style of player does he like to play. "It doesn't matter really. I like to play guys with a big serve who attack me and those who stand back and rally. I find it easy to adjust to all surfaces."

Angele
12-18-2002, 01:26 AM
HEWITT SHOULDERS DOUBLE LOAD

By BARRY FLATMAN

The Mirror

There is more on Lleyton Hewitt's mind than just being the top seed at Wimbledon. He has got the well-being of his girlfriend Kim Clijsters to worry about.
Though Hewitt cruised through to the third round in straight sets, he rarely looked like the world's
No.1 player in disposing of French qualifier Gregory Carraz.
But while Hewitt was winning on No.1 Court, Clijsters was struggling with an injured shoulder as she slumped to defeat over on No.2 against elena Likhovtseva.
This time last year the Belgian girl was the talk of women's tennis after reaching the French Open final. Now, debiliated by her injury, she has suffered early losses at both Roland Garros and Wimbledon.
"The doctors gave me a few options when they diagnosed the problem and the last one was surgery," said the 19-year-old fifth seed, who had lost 7-6 6-2. "They couldn't promise me that was going to help either.
"At the moment I don't want to take a risk and be out of the game for a year and then not be fully recovered afterwards. i like to travel and play tennis but at the moment I just can't play as much as I have done."
Clijsters is the latest big name to suffer in the wake of former champions Lindsay Davenport and Martina Hingis, whose futures are both threatened by injury.
Davenport has been sidelined for almost six months with knee problems while Hingis recently underwent ankle surgery.
Hewitt seems to have shaken off the stomach virus that forced him to quit last week's warm up tournament in Holland but he could not help but notice his girlfriend's demise.
"I saw the scoreboard although I didn't see a ball hit," said the australian who next meets Austrian Julian Knowle.
"I just tried to concentrate on my game. I'm mentally tough."
The US Open champion is guarded on his chances. He added: "There's still a lot of good players left in the tournament and as far as I'm concerned, I've only won two matches with five to go."

duck
12-18-2002, 11:06 AM
From Cincinnati this year.
L & K tell two completely different stories when they are asked where they first met.

Q. From all appearances, at least from what Kim has said, you are good to her and you certainly have shown a different side in that you have somebody like that in your life. Is that a side that we just don't get to see too much of because you are all about the intensity on the court and maybe there is this flip-side of the personality that we don't get a chance to view too much?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, I think I am the first to admit I am very competitive. As soon as I step on the court I am intensity, I want to win. Like most of the players out here, I give 100% every time I step on the tennis court. I think a lot of people perceive that but then they will think that I don't know -- he's probably nasty off the court whatever, I am actually pretty shy. When I went to school back in Adelaide I was shy. I didn't argue with anyone, I had a lot of friends there. But it's sort of the same on the Tour. In the locker room I sort of keep to myself. I do my own thing. I have got a lot of friends at home that I keep in contact with. Obviously with Kim, that all helps as well. But she understands the pressures that I am going through and I understand what she's going through. So that side of it, I think is all sort of a bonus for both of us.

Q. As a shy guy growing up did you have the courage to ask a girl out?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Actually didn't have that many girlfriends. When Kim and I started it was -- I don't know, actually, it was a little bit of both. But I didn't have a lot of guts when it comes to that.

Q. Did you just kind of chat her up a little bit or just ask her out?

LLEYTON HEWITT: We were -- when was it -- 2000 Australian Open and I'd just won Adelaide and Sydney that year, and I arrived late and I was chatting with one of my mates who I played juniors with, Nathan, he was playing doubles at the Australian Open. He knew Kim through juniors. I was sitting together, I just sat down and that is how we got introduced. She asked me if I wanted to play mixed doubles. I think she knew we could get a wildcard. I couldn't because I committed to my sister about three months before that. That's how it started.

Q. She literally asked you out?

LLEYTON HEWITT: Well, she asked me to go on the tennis court. I don't know if it was because of my looks or anything to do with that.

sanstamtam
12-18-2002, 06:44 PM
It's a great thread. Thanks Duck for the interview of Lleyton. I didn't know this story about the first time they met.

Kim's story is totally different
:D

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:34 PM
A little quote from the TMC this year!

It happened when all 8 competitiors were dressed in the chinese style tops promoting the Masters Cup. A chinese lady asked Lleyton if he was married? He answered "no" and then she asked if he had a girlfriend (I guess she was a bit slow on the uptake) and he smiled sheepishly saying "I think I might!". The reporter then said that the reason she asked was that he was wearing red and that in China, red is the colour of marraige!

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:35 PM
More from Shanghai!

QUESTION: Congratulations, Lleyton. Justine Henin got married and she changed her name to the husband's family name. If you marry Kim Clijsters, do you want her to change to Kim Hewitt as well?
LLEYTON HEWITT: I got no idea. Haven't even thought about it. That's the least of my worries, if we're to get married, you know, it doesn't really bother me, I guess.
QUESTION: I don't think I can top that. Talking of Kim, who was it you were on the phone to when your dad brought the phone out on to court?
LLEYTON HEWITT: Yeah, it was Kim. That was an easy one.

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:36 PM
Now, Kim Hewitt?
http://www.theage.com.au

Some sports fans just can't get enough information about their stars, which occasionally prompts journalists to ask the most bizarre of questions. Like this one from a local scribe at the Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai after Lleyton Hewitt had just won the final. "Congratulations, Lleyton. Justine Henin got married (last week) and she changed her name to the husband's family name. If you marry Kim Clijsters, do you want her to change to Kim Hewitt as well?"

Taken aback, a bemused Hewitt struggled to come up with an answer but did his best. "I got no idea. Haven't even thought about it. That's the least of my worries," he said. "If we're to get married, you know, it doesn't really bother me, I guess."

Hewitt didn't waste any time sharing his great news with his Belgian girlfriend after outlasting Juan Carlos Ferrero in a five-set classic. Still courtside, the 21-year-old was on his mobile phone to Clijsters, who last week won the women's season-ending championship in Los Angeles. The exciting double was worth about $5 million to tennis' hottest couple.

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:37 PM
A quote Amélie posted earlier!

Today in the newspaper La Meuse there was an article about Lleyton. I love the end so I tranlated it.

The precense of Kim Clijsters bring to you the necessary serenity?

To know that she is near me make me stronger. To share with her big victories make up the sacrifices when our tournaments move away from each other. We have know for 3 years and I see the tennis and the life the same way but our relation make the events stronger. I don't know how to explain it but I think that Kim makes of me, every day, a better man.

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Some quotes from Glynn!

But he also pointed to his son's love affair with Belgian star Kim Clijsters as an important part in Lleyton's life.

"Kim has stayed with us and is now part of our family and they get to spend a lot of time with each other despite their busy schedules," Glynn Hewitt said.

"Kim's a good kid and a ball of energy. Lleyton is hyperactive - he has to be doing something all the time - so the pair of them keep each other busy."

Hewitt didn't waste any time sharing his great news with his girlfriend after outlasting Juan Carlos Ferrero in a five-set classic to win the Tennis Masters Cup.

Still courtside, the clearly smitten 21-year-old was straight on his mobile phone to Clijsters, who last week won the women's season-ending championship in Los Angeles.

The exciting double was worth $5 million to tennis's hottest couple.

Hewitt, 21, and Clijsters, 19, will be in Sydney on Thursday for his International Tennis Camp at Homebush and again on Sunday for the Starlight Cup Charity event before heading back home to Adelaide for a well-earned rest.

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Sweetheart deal: Clijsters's crowning glory

November 14 2002

Shanghai: As Lleyton Hewitt prepared for his assault on a second successive Masters Cup, he was given a welcome distraction with the news his girlfriend Kim Clijsters had picked up $US765,000 ($1.37million) for winning the women's season-ending championship in Los Angeles on Monday.

And the 21-year-old South Australian said it would be another nice pay day for the couple if he could pocket a winner's cheque of as much as US$1.43million. "I guess I get 50 per cent of that [Clijsters's winning cheque], so that's all right," Hewitt quipped after opening his quest for the season-ending title in Shanghai with a hard-fought 6-2, 4-6, 6-3 win against French Open champion Albert Costa on Tuesday.

With $US120,000 on offer for every pool win at the New Shanghai International Expo Centre, $US370,000 for a semi-final victory and $US700,000 for a win in the final, it may prove a very profitable week for Hewitt and Clijsters.

Hewitt is at ease talking about his girlfriend of three years and the two support each other courtside at tournaments around the world whenever possible.

However, Clijsters will not be in Shanghai this week as Hewitt bids to fend off the challenge from Andre Agassi to retain his year-end No1 ranking.

But Hewitt has been on the phone to congratulate her. "It's obviously the biggest moment in her career so far and to beat the Williams sisters back-to-back [Serena in the final and Venus in a semi-final], it's not something that a lot of players can say they've done, especially this year, the way they've dominated the sport," he said.

"So it's an incredible achievement."

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:45 PM
Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt are enjoying a well earned rest

It was a magnificent year for the top tennis duo Kim Clijsters (number four on the rankings) and Lleyton Hewitt (still number one). After having won the Masters tournament in Los Angeles, Kim stayed in Belgium for several days. But then she wished to leave immediately for Adelaide. Her boyfriend arrived a few days later in his hometown. For the time being, the golden couple will be enjoying only each other. They plan to interrupt their holidays only once, to pay their respects at the charity-ball of the Starlight Foundation in Sydney.

Angele
12-18-2002, 07:53 PM
Here's a little report kim&lleytonrule posted on wtaworld!

Yep Kim went with him. I watched the whole game on fox sports just to see them & I hate basketball!!, they showed Kim and Lleyton at the beginning sitting in the stands together and Lleyton was eating and Kim was drinking a coke but I think it was Lleytons cause she gave it back to him. Hayden and Jason were sitting in the row in front of them with a little boy who I thik must of been Jason's son anyway I think Kim was giving the boy more attention than Lleyton!!! The TV the interviewed Lleyton and he looked so small next to the commentators who are former basketball players. In the interview they asked Lleyton all the normal stuff, but he spoke about Kimmie without even being asked! They asked him when he was moving out of home and Lleyton said that he has some land with nothing on it but that his Girlfriend is from Belgium so he spends a bit of time there throughout the year too. And then Steve Carfino asked Lleyton if there was any wedding announcement and Lleyton said there was nothing he could announce tonight, they showed a close up of Kim while Lleyton was talking about his house and how she is from Belgium & one of the commentators looked down at some screen in front of them and said "and there is Kim" so Lleyton like full looked at the screen it was so cute but it was only a quick shot of Kim so I think he would of missed it.They also showed Kim and Lleyton standing and clapping at the end of the game, Kim looked to be really enjoying the game! Oh and yeah Glynn was there but he wasn't sitting near Kim & LLeyton, but I don't know if Cherilyn was there.

Angele
12-18-2002, 08:00 PM
“Our relationship makes experiences more meaningful than they were before,” Lleyton Hewitt

By Ben Herremans, Sportmagazine (Belgium), 11/27/2002

Together, it happens rarely. She: Kim Clijsters, ranked fourth in the world, won the Masters. He: Lleyton Hewitt from Australia, ranked first in the world, just won the Masters. Hopefully they command love too. In tennis it doesn’t look like much, more like balls out of control in a pinball machine. But on the court of life, the doubles game is the most beautiful.

The elevator between heaven and hell, that is love. The letters on this page should float. Can the printer take care of that? The love between Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt. Her boyfriend from Down Under, of course she is besotted, and vice versa. But love doesn’t explain itself well in the third person; that seems so cowardly. Two people, together. Let them explain themselves, it is THEIR love; third parties should not get involved, what would they know…

Lleyton about Kim: “Her presences makes my big wins more meaningful. Having her close makes me even stronger and knowing that I can share those moments with her, makes up for the sacrifice I have to make when our tournaments keep us far apart. That is why I like the Grand Slams. Because we’re together then. We try to encourage each other and to help each other achieve our goals. Since we met each other, three years ago at the Australian Open, my vision on tennis and life has not changed much, but our relationship makes the experiences more meaningful. I believe Kim every day makes me be a better tennis player and human being. I can’t really explain how she influences me, but I can feel that she does.”

Kim about Lleyton: “We can’t be together much. But that makes the moments we do share, even more special.” Whether she would prefer to see Lleyton or herself in the Wimbledon final, she was asked last year. “Lleyton, because I don’t like to see him unhappy.”

That’s how it began. During that Australian Open three years ago, Kim asked Lleyton an autograph for her sister Elke. A few days later they met again in Melbourne Park and started chatting. Afterwards Lleyton invited her to a party for Pat Rafter. “I felt really good with him,” she said a little while later.

In Bree, they didn’t really realize at first. Father Lei, “When we realized that things were serious between Kim and Lleyton, things had been serious for quite a while.” In the beginning, they just shrugged their shoulders and got irritated, because when she was with Lleyton, she often forgot to call home. By now they have accepted that Kim’s heart has moved to Adelaide. That is no problem for the Clijsters: “It is her life and the Hewitts and good people,” according to father Lei.

She denied it vehemently, but the articles in the Australian press about a Clijsters’ pending naturalization make some sense. Australia’s fiancé; as girlfriend of Australia’s number one favorite [Elke’s note: Since when??], she inspired a Kim-mania, partly due to her spontaneity and accessibility. In that she differs from Lleyton, who is more edgy in his demeanor, sometime even irritating. “That’s his winning spirit,” defends Kim, “Outside of the tennis court, he is polite, almost timid.”

They share tennis and, let’s not forget, blue eyes and blond hair. In tennis, they might have to be careful. When Lei Clijsters temporarily hired Jason Stoltenberg, replacing Carl Maes, to coach Kim, that wasn’t well received in Australia. Stoltenberg was Lleyton’s coach. Father Clijsters: “Lleyton was right. We can’t just ask Jason to accompany Kim on a day that Lleyton has to play. If he would lose, I wouldn’t want to feel responsible…”

The hunt for tennis’ couple has been opened. If they stay somewhere together, hordes of cameras are staked out in the garden. Lei, “They just throw pebbles in the pool to distract the paparazzi and then disappear through a back door.” Tennis as common denominator. It could be a disadvantage, but they make it an advantage. Lleyton, “We both know the demands of top tennis. We understand what happens. It is important that we know what the other is going through. That helps us.” And they like to keep a distance from tennis. Kim, “Whenever I can, I will go watch him play. Whenever he can, he will watch me play. But when we are together, we rarely talk about tennis.”

That he proposed on the Eiffel Tower: too incredible. These are people from modern times. Letters from Bree, it sounds like a foghorn from a distant past, but this is 2002. Today’s communications use different media. Four phone calls a day they consider an absolute minimum. To be clear, marriage is still out of the picture. When it does happen, will she play using the Clijsters-Hewitt name? Lleyton, laughing, “I really don’t know. That is the least of my concerns. When we get married, that won’t be the most important thing.”

Ting! (the elevator bell)

Angele
12-18-2002, 08:09 PM
The Hewitts: Clijsters' second home

During the Grand Slams, Kim often stays with the Hewitt family. When Hewitt is playing a match, Kim has front row seats, close to the parents of her boyfriend, the world’s number one in men’s tennis. Yesterday, Kim left for Australia (Adelaide), where she will spend her free time with Lleyton and where she will prepare for the new year. The Hewitt clan consists of real sports fanatics. Lleyton has an unbelievable memory for sports results. Just like Kim’s, Lleyton’s father has a professional sports past: Glynn Hewitt was an Aussie rules football player.

“The Hewitts are more or less her second home,” admits father Clijsters. “That is true the other way around too. Sometimes Hewitt will stay with us in Belgium for two weeks. We get along well with the Hewitts. Because, just like us, it is a really sports-minded family, we’re automatically on the same wavelength. It is true that Lleyton Hewitt is more obsessive. Sometimes he’ll be thinking about a match two days beforehand. Kim doesn’t have that as much, she doesn’t really obsess over the ranking list. If tomorrow she is number 8 instead of 3, she won’t mind.”

Former coach Carl Maes accompanied Kim Clijsters for six years and knows her relationship with the Hewitts: “Kim is like an adopted daughter to them. That family really lives for tennis. They don’t really think about anything else. Because the tennis season in Australia is so short, Lleyton usually travels for about 10 months out of the year. His parents like to travel with him and obviously have the financial means to do so. In some cases, that can have bad results, but the Hewitts really like being around each other. In the beginning, I questioned Kim’s relationship with Lleyton, but it seems to work out fine. Tennis-wise, they have learned for each other. Kim shows her fighting spirit during a match, but it still a challenge to keep going when things are going less. And for that, there is no better example than Lleyton. And he can learn from Kim’s aggressive style

Angele
12-18-2002, 08:10 PM
The couple of the Year 2002

Clijsters and Hewitt: love and victory

by Serge Fayat (translation by Ingrid)

Brussels, Nov. 19, 2002

To the people magazines, there is still no doubt that there is only one celebrity couple in the tennis world, Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf.

To the sports press, in revenge, there exists a totally different one, actually. It is made by Lleyton Hewitt, the current number one, and ...Kim Clijsters.

The two lovebirds have just finished their tennis season in the most beautiful way by both winning the Masters, the non-official world championships in their sport.

“To me, our relation is fantastic”, the Australian said during the season, “because we both fully understand the demands of tennis. We therefore realise we can’t always be together, but when we need to speak to someone about what’s on our mind, we know we can count on each other. I adore watching Kim playing, but if it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be following women’s tennis...”

It was by asking an autograph for her sis Elke, now three years ago at the Australian Open, that Kim met Lleyton for the first time. A few days later, they met again in the corridors of Melbourne Park and started to chat, just like all youngsters of their age. A little bit later, he invited her to a party for his mate Patrick Rafter. The Limburg girl didn’t hesitate for a second. After all, on the wall of her room in Bree, there was a poster of the former double winner of the US Open. That didn’t stop her that she choose to become a couple with Lleyton, though.

“I know that we both are still very young, but I really feel good with him”, Kim said last month in Luxembourg. “I absolutely want to get married and start a family later. Lleyton and I have already talked about this, but everything at its time. My life, for instance, is too chaotic for the time being. But we certainly will before I get 30, as I don’t see myself playing more than another 5 years. I adore tennis, but I am starting to get fed up with travelling continously. Since a bumpy return flight from Las Vegas, I am afraid to take any flight...”

One must aknowledge that Kim and Lleyton really fit well together. Like an English journalist said in Wimbledon earlier this year, “one would say; two of a kind”. Both have clearly the same character, that’s shown on court by a desire to win, a denial to give up, and an ability to grow above themselves at great moments.

These qualities, added with no doubt a competition because of being a couple, these have made the two win 9 tournaments this season, amongst them Indian Wells, Wimbledon, the Masters for the Australian, and Hamburg, Filderstadt and the Masters for the Limburg girl. Lleyton ended the year at number one for the second time in a row, while Kim reached number 4 after having been at number three in March.

“I know that I am living one of the most beautiful weeks of my life”, he explained in Shanghai. “First there was the success of Kim in Los Angeles, and then all the obstacles I had to overcome to triumph here. I also do believe that the fact that we are together makes me a better man. Yes, that was her on the phone when my dad passed it on on court. When we will get married one day, I am not going to worry to know what name she will use then. That’s not really the most important thing...”

The tennis couple of the year will have things to talk about the next days in Adelaide

kit
12-19-2002, 09:05 PM
That's a very great idea,Angle!!:D:kiss:
Thanks for all the Lleyki articles they are very nice!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

kit
12-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Uppps sorry,I meant Angele.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:09 AM
DAILY MAIL (London)

January 8, 2003

AUSTRALIA IS READY TO ADOPT LLEYTON'S GIRL KIM

IVAN SPECK

SHE IS one half of tennis's most successful couple. But just because her boyfriend is Lleyton Hewitt, do not discount Kim Clijsters' chances of becoming Australian Open champion first, if only by one day.

It is easy to forget what a precocious talent the Belgian teenager is. Clijsters burst on to the women's scene so early, it requires a double take to realise she is still only 19 -- two years younger than Serena Williams and three younger than Venus.

In the summer of 2001, Clijsters came within a break of serve of winning the French Open. Last November, she beat both Williams sisters on her way to capturing the prestigious end- of-season championships in Los Angeles. Since then, her sometime practice partner has been a certain Mr Hewitt.

What impresses most is the maturity for one of such tender years. Clijsters is as level-headed as they come. Prima donna? Not her, and not likely. Coming from a country as unassuming as Belgium, she could hardly be otherwise.

Clijsters said: 'I live in a very small town called Bree. We have about 8,000 people and it's very quiet. That's why I enjoy spending time there. I feel really relaxed.

'All the people in the town know me, so no-one really stares or bothers me when I go home. But when Lleyton won the Masters Cup last year in Sydney, there were four television crews in front of his house every day for almost a week.

'That can get pretty annoying, especially when they come to your house and interfere with your private life. It's never really happened to me in Belgium, but it's a bit more hectic for Lleyton in Australia.'

Clijsters has been groomed for tennis stardom with every bit as much devotion as Hewitt. Her mother Els was a gymnast, while her father Leo was Belgium's Footballer of the Year in 1988.

Younger sister Elke is a promising junior and both were schooled on a tennis court their parents had built at the family home.

For now, Clijsters finds the phenomenon that is the Williams sisters standing in her way. Her advantage at Melbourne Park next week will be a world ranking of four -- which means she is certain to avoid both until the semi-finals -- and the nearest thing to home support a non-Australian can enjoy.

The Aussies, whose highest-ranked woman is Alicia Molik at 94, have spent the last week trying to claim Clijsters as their own.

Her unhappiness at the 60 per cent tax rate she pays in Belgium has fuelled their hopes, while her relationship with Hewitt means that she has been in Australia since November 17. A holiday with her boyfriend in Port Douglas, Christmas with Hewitt's family in Adelaide and plenty of practice with the men's world No.1.

Clijsters added: 'I'm never going to say never about moving to Australia. The taxes in Belgium are just ridiculous at the moment. But although I feel comfortable and love being here, Belgium's my home country. I enjoy being there with my family.

'I started hitting with Lleyton two weeks before Christmas. It's great --long rallies and the ball keeps coming back. It's really good for me, maybe not as good for him. I have to
say I've been hitting more with my coach, though.

'The French Open final seems so long ago already, even Los Angeles does, like it never happened. You don't really get a lot of time to think about it all.

'I think I'm one of the only players who doesn't really set goals. I know for myself that I put 100 per cent into everything I do. I just try to get the best out of myself and have fun out there. But if I want to win against players like Serena and Venus, I have to grab every chance that I get.

'It doesn't bother me if I see them in my part of the draw. It's a challenge to play against them and I always enjoy it. When you're younger, they are the matches you dream of -- especially against the No.1 in the world.'

Two world No.1s in the same household? Perhaps not. But two Australian Open champions is a possibility.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:12 AM
I wonder which story about how they met is true Kim's or LL's :p

Euro sense for stay-at-home Kim

By Patrick Miles, Adidas International
January 09, 2003

THE Australian Fed Cup team, bereft of success for 28 years, will have to continue to seek from within as Kim Clijsters is staying put in Europe, with no plans to emigrate.

Despite recent reports that her father, Leo, was investigating the financial benefits of living in Australia, the world No. 4, girlfriend of the men's world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, strongly suggested yesterday that her residential future lies in the lowlands.

"I'm building a house at the moment, so as soon as my house in Belgium is ready, I'll maybe get to go home a little bit more," Clijsters said after her comprehensive 6-1 6-3 victory over Switzerland's Patty Schnyder at the Sydney International Tennis Centre.

Her next match will be against American Chanda Rubin, who beat her compatriot Alexandra Stevenson by the same score. A place in the semi-finals beckons.

The Clijsters family is obviously aware of the advantages of residing in a country with relatively low taxes and interest rates, and with an exchange rate that doubles their dollars.

But while conceding that real estate in Australia is "a lot cheaper than Belgium", Clijsters is not interested, at least for now, in any Antipodean investments.

"I hardly ever get to come here, so it would be empty for a whole year, until the end of the year," she said. "So I don't really want to waste more money."

Chez Clijsters in Belgium also would provide a European base for her partner, Lleyton Hewitt, during the long months he has to spend away from the sandhills at Tennyson, near his Adelaide base. Clijsters, however, still rates Australia as her second home.

"Definitely, because I've been spending all my Christmases here with Lleyton's family," she said.

Christmas brought a set of golf clubs , a pair of earrings and a necklace from her No. 1 man. "I was very, very spoiled," she said.

Golf, however, will have to wait for a while, along with any decision to live in Australia.

"I think it's just too much walking," she said. "It takes too long. I think you have to walk around for five hours or something. I'd rather go shopping for five hours."

As for a future in Australia, she said: "Maybe when I stop playing. It's still far away, I hope."

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:12 AM
True love to find its course

By John Thirsk
January 09, 2003

LLEYTON HEWITT chose Sydney for his build-up to the Australian Open so he could stretch out his summer holiday with girlfriend Kim Clijsters.
And yesterday - the day after The Daily Telegraph revealed Hewitt is having daily practice workouts at White City - Clijsters gave an insight into the love affair that has helped drive the pair to the top of the world rankings.

After breezing into the quarter-finals of the adidas International with a 6-1 6-3 win over Patty Schnyder of Switzerland, world No.4 Clijsters said she had been spoiled with gifts at Christmas in Adelaide.

Among the presents she received were a necklace, earrings and ... a set of golf clubs.

Clijsters said the golf clubs were a gift from the Hewitt family.

But she said she would now have to dramatically improve her game if she wants to spend time with her highly competitive boyfriend on the golf course.

"I think he's [off a handicap of] six or seven," Clijsters said.

"I'll have to practise a lot."

Clijsters would prefer to be elsewhere while Hewitt hones his golf skills but the pair grab every moment they can to be with each other.

"It's just too much walking [on the golf course] for me. I think you have to walk around for five hours or something. I'd rather go shopping for five hours," Clijsters laughed.

Hewitt and Clijsters only get about four months a year together - meeting up at the four grand slam venues, another major tournament in Florida and enjoying precious time before the Australian summer season.

Clijsters, 19, feels just as comfortable with Lleyton's parents Glynn and Cherilyn and sister Jaslyn as she does with her parents and younger sister Elke back home in Bree, Belgium.

"I almost spend more time here than in Belgium, but I'm building a house at the moment. So as soon as my house in Belgium is ready, maybe I'll get to go home a little bit more," she said.

Clijsters doesn't expect to see Lleyton at Homebush as she strives for a tournament victory.

"If I get to the semi-final [Friday] or the final [Saturday], he'll be in Melbourne getting ready for the Aussie Open," she said.

Clijsters is thrilled that Australian fans seem to have accepted her as one of their own.

"I really got a very warm welcome when I walked on to the court today," she said.

"I played a few weeks ago at the Starlight Foundation here in Sydney and it was really nice to come back and see some people that I remembered.

"Australia is definitely my second home.

"I've been spending all my Christmases here with Lleyton's family.

"I got some earrings, a necklace ... so I was very, very spoiled."

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Lleyton's no1 in my life.
by Chris Jones, Evening Standard, 9/1/03

The young couple dancing together celebrating the arrival of the new yearat a black-tie ball in Perth had every reason to smile about what the next 12 months could bring.
Wimbledon champion Lleyton Hewitt, World no1 player and girlfriend Kim Clijsters, no4 in the women's ranking, are the present tennis generation's answer to Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert, who got engaged at the height of their popularity.

Hewitt won the end-of-season Masters event in Shanghai last November to confirm his status as the game's dominant force. Minutes after achieving this feat, he took an on-court mobile phone call from Clijsters, who wanted to congratulate her man.
A few days earlier, the roles had been reversed, with Hewitt calling his girlfriend to celebrate her triumph in the WTA tour-ending event in Los Angeles, where she defeated Serena Williams in the final.

Patently, these are two exceptional players and they have jointly banked career prize money of nearly £10 million. FOr more than 2 years, 21-year-old Hewitt and 19-year-old Clijsters have defied the sceptics and make teir relationship work despite the time the spent apart on their respective tours. While others hint at an engagement, the couple side-step the question and that only adds to the intrigue.

They spent Christmas together at the Hewitt family home in West Lakes, abiut a 15-minute drive west from Adelaide. Previously, Hewitt has joined the Clijsters family for the festive period.
This Christmas, he gave her a set of golf clubs, earrings and a necklace as presents. "I was very, very spoilt." she said. earlier in December, they spent time relaxing in Queensland, playing golf and swimming. When they returned to Adelaide, they both started preparing for next week's Australian Open and were seen practising on court together.

It was yet another public example of how close thes two outstanding players have become. Their relationship survived all the travelling that only sees them together at the four Grand Slam events and a couple of other major tournaments.
Of course they are down sides to being so close to another sports star. Clijsters' superstition about going to the same retaurant when she got to the French Open final in 2001, drove Hewitt crazy, but when they are apart they reportedly make a minimum of four phone calls a day to each other.

Last year, Clijsters opted to undertake her rehabilitation from injury in Monte Carlo to be with Hewitt, where he competed in the ATP tour event and they spent every morning enjoying breakfast on the veranda of their beachside hotel. The pair stood out of the rest because the other tables were populated by male players travelling without wives or girlfriends.

Clijsters said: "It's nice to have someone you trust and who is always there for you. We live a very lonely life on tour. We have to travel every week, so it's not easy to make a lot of friends."
There is every possibility will make a permanent move to Down Under. Leo, her father and manager, confirms she is considering the move because tax rates in her homeland are among the highest in Europe. " In the event of Australian naturalisation she could profit from a very advantageous tax system." said Leo, a former footballer, who was voted as Belgium's player of the year in 1988. "This information had already been communicated to us when we had asked for information about the possible purchase of an apartment in Adelaide."

Those close to Hewitt believe Clijsters has been a calming influence off-court, although on it, he remains as volatile as ever.
His constant picking at his racket strings has allowed the mimics on tour to offer excellent impressions. At last weeks Hopman Cup he was left floundering when, despite adjusting them like a demented harpist, he failed to recapture his normal power. He explained: " I couldn't hit a ball. I felt like I couldn't break an egg out there." Hewitt has never got past the last 16 in Melbourne Park and went out in the first round to Alberto Martin last year, after suffering a pre-tournament bout of chicken pox. This year, he is expected to do much better. "One of my biggest dreams is to win the Australian Open, so if I get to the quarters, I reckon I have a good chance this time, " he said. "You don't always want to go in Grand Slams playing your best tennis right from the start. I know when I won the Us Open in 2001, I was not playing my best tennis until the fourth round. The competitive juices will get working as soon as I get out there in Melbourne. You get the smell of a Grand Slam-and I think I will be able to get up for it."

With Clijsters also hoping to better last year's semifinal showing, there is a real possibility of a double celebration for Australia this year-Hewitt becoming men's champion and their favourite Belgian lifting the women's trophy.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:14 AM
Kim cool on 'love double' chances
By PAUL MALONE
12jan03

SOUTH Australia's adopted daughter Kim Clijsters last night stopped short of advising fans to get in for a slice of the tumbling $25 betting price on offer for an Australian Open tennis "love double".

A title double for Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt at the Australian Open, which starts in Melbourne tomorrow, is the fourth most heavily backed choice on TAB Sportsbet.
"I don't know. It's up to you what you want to do with your money," Clijsters said with a smile after she had added to her Open credentials by winning the adidas International in Sydney.

American Lindsay Davenport said Clijsters, 19, was bound to follow her boyfriend into the history books as a grand slam winner.

Davenport lost 4-6, 3-6 to the Belgian in the final at the Sydney International Tennis Centre.

Clijsters, who spent Christmas with the Hewitt family in Adelaide, took a night flight to Melbourne to be reunited with top seed Hewitt.

"In a grand slam all the players are so much more motivated, especially players like Venus and Serena (Williams)," said Clijsters, who is fourth seed in her bid to win her first major final.

"I think I'm a lot more consistent than I was even half a year ago. I think I'm moving better."

Hewitt had been in Sydney early last week to spend some time with his girlfriend while he practised hard for his first round Open match on Tuesday.

It was a second successive win for Clijsters in an official tournament, as she beat the Williams sisters in successive matches to take the WTA Championships in Los Angeles in November.

Seven days later, she called Hewitt's mobile phone when he won the Tennis Masters Cup, the year-end event on the men's tour, in Shanghai, China.

Hewitt was non-plussed after the Shanghai final when he was asked whether Clijsters would keep her maiden name when they married.

"That's the least of my worries. If we're to get married, it doesn't bother me, I guess," he said.

Clijsters and Hewitt spend about four months a year together, regular detouring from their own tennis commitments to support each other at tournaments.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:17 AM
Some Oldies :D

Clijsters and Hewitt:couple on the top
by Annick De Witte 09/11/'01

They don't talk about it, or rarely. But the most beautiful couple in topsport are completely head over heels. Kim and Lleyton, number 5 of the WTA-ranking and number 3 of the ATP. Yesterday, right after Lleyton played, and won, his first grand slamfinal, they took the plane from New York to his homecity, Adelaide, Australia, where they can take a couple of days rest and... make out. They won't have a lot of time for romance, because a week later, the indoor tournaments begin...

A romance between topsporters speaks to everyones imagination, because it's rare. And probably because they don't last. Outside tennis, recently, Marion Jones and her loverboy were THE most loved subject in the media. But their relationship is over and out. Inside tennis, the press has already made a list of the relationships that didn't last: they were not always as glamourous as the Jimmy Connors and Chris Evert affaire in '74. More recently, there were Andrei Medvedev and Anke Huber-over and out, while Martina Hingis was already involved in relationships with Julian Alonso and Magnus Norman. Last year, Xavier Malisse dumped Jennifer Capriati and told everyone how happy he was with his decision. The romance between Andre Agassi and Steffi Graf is still intact.

RATHER LLEYTON.....
Kim Clijsters and Lleyton Hewitt are together for almost two years. But it's almost sneaky, because they don't talk about it. They have learnt to protect their privacy. They have to, because the world-mostly the press- is harsh, inside and outside the tennisworld. Both of them made a phenomenal rise to the top. Both of them reached the status of a 'star' in no time. But they both feel comfortable in the tennisworld. Without any doubt, Kim is Miss Congeniality. Lleyton seems also a really nice guy off court, although he irritates a lot of people with his on courtbehaviour. Kim always stands by her man, saying: 'it's his winnig spirit.' It's never seen before, they attend all of eachothers matches, if they are allowed by their schedules.
It was moving to hear Kim answer a question during an interview right before Wimbledon. We asked her -only hypothatically- who she would rather see win Wimbledon, herself or Lleyton.
After 3 seconds of thinking, she answered; 'rather Lleyton, I don't like to see him unhappy...' And when Kim was asked about the most difficult moment during RG, she answered without any hesitation: 'the decision of not playing doubles with Lleyton.' Whoever says something like this must be deeply in love...
The romance travels with the couple around the world. From tournament to tournament, from hotelroom to hotelroom. Just to spend as much time together as possible. From time to time, Kim trains with Lleyton 'but it's not 100%, he's a tiny bit too good for me!' And ocasionally, like this week, they travel from parental home to parental home. From Bree to Adelaide, from Adelaide to Bree. It is known that he Clijsters' and The Hewitts get along very well. They even 'change' their other children: Lleytons sister Jaslyn is already staying a couple of weeks in Bree, where she's playing some tournaments with Elke, Kims sister.

MARRIAGE?
She's 18 now, he's only 20. So they were very young when they met. But they don't live the lives of an 18-year old chick or a regular 20-year old bloke. They are not regular, they are top!
And they mature a lot faster. The most difficult is finding a balance between the busy existence of a pro-tennisplayer and a succesful and happy private life. And about that part, they made an agreement: 'when we are together, we never talk about tennis' Clijsters said in an interview. It seems to work. Kim got a ring from the love of her life and according to the British tabloids, she wears it on her wedding finger... There were already rumours last year, and they start all over again. They would partly live in Australia and partly in Belgium. Some people say...
Because they are rumours. Kim or Lleyton, wouldn't tell anyone.
A matter of privacy, isn't it.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Kim is happy for Lleyton (2002)

Kim Clijsters went yesterday noon to Australia to enjoy a long vacation. The trip went via Singapore to Sydney, where she will arrive just in time to see her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt playing in the semifinals of the Masters. Before her take off she learned that Lleyton had captured the first spot on the World rankings for the first time.

"Kim was happy for her boyfriend. Lleyton is very ambitious, much more than Kim,” said father Lei Clijsters. “If she is 5 or 3, that doesn’t matter to her. She is not lying awake of a possible 1st place. As long as she enjoys what she does. That’s how she is. She doesn’t mind that others also have pleasure and success. For Lleyton the 1st place is a goal. He has made it and will do everything to keep it."

Furthermore, Kim Clijsters and sis Elke were thrilled with the Brilliant game in Antwerp. “It was a nice evening, by all means,” says Lei also. “Well organised, a lot of people and very spontaneous. Also the part with the pop group of Koen Wauters was really appreciated. Kim is a fan of him. Koen promised that he would come to sing when Kim gets married. I have pointed out to him “well that that might be in Australia!”

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:20 AM
The Golden couple of tennis (2002)

Lleyton and Kim first met at the Australian Open 2000 when Kim approached Lleyton for an Autograph for her sister Elke. Not also did Kim get the autograph but Lleyton asked her if she wanted to go to one of Pat Rafter's party with him, well who wouldn't turn down an offer like that! But the relationship didn't actually happen till the Ericsson Open, which is where their relationship started to blossom. They made their first appearance in Mixed doubles at the 2000 French Open, where they reached the 3rd round. They then played mixed doubles at Wimbledon after both loosing early in the singles. They powered their way all the way to the final only dropping one set along the way but the great love story of the championships came to the end when they were beaten in straight sets in the final.

Lleyton and Kim have now been together for two years and in that time there has even been talk of marriage when Kim was spotted wearing a diamond ring on her wedding finger, Kim denied it saying that it was a birthday present (even though it wasn't near her birthday!) and there were even reports that Lleyton had said in a press conference that they were to wed in the summer 2002.

Lleyton and Kim are the strongest couple on the tour compared to other failed tennis player relationships.

They are so devoted to each other taking time out for each other and watching every match they can. They probably had their best year yet with Kim reaching the French Open Final and playing a epic match where Lleyton watched, mostly biting his nails and at the end she thanked him for staying instead of going to Queens. Kim was also there when Lleyton won the US Open and at the end they kissed and Kim occupied Lleyton also at the Masters cup in Sydney and Davis Cup final in Melbourne.

So that’s the story so far, what’s in store for them? We don't know but can the new Andre and Steffi make an even larger impact on the tour and win Slams at the same time and perhaps we will see a wedding on the way? Well Kim has recently said that she wants to live with Lleyton before she gets married so I guess we'll will just have to wait and see...

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Neck and neck (2002)

Still no word that Lleyton Hewitt and his long-time girlfriend Kim Clijsters are planning to tie the knot, but given their ongoing heavy schedule that's hardly surprising.

But we can tell you the relationship remains as strong as their respective positions in world tennis. Last week while competing in their events in Indian Wells, Hewitt was spotted sporting a necklace with "K" on it and Clijsters was wearing a similar gold bearing an "L".

Hey, ain't love grand.

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 01:22 AM
Extract of article “Two can play at that game”

January 2002

Off the court there was a budding relationship with Australian Star Lleyton Hewitt, and Belgians, no longer thinking of Kim Clijsters as merely Leo Clijsters' daughter, began hounding her wherever she went.

Leo has tried to shield Kim from the crush, acting as her manager even as he coaches a professional soccer team. Still, he knows he needn’t worry. Clijsters answers the often intimate questions about Hewitt without a hint of embarrassment. “I'm happy that I’ve got Lleyton and that we’re together,” She says, slashing through the perfunctory gossip with the sweetest of smiles. In December, she went to Australia to watch him play Davis Cup, just as he’d sat in the stands at Roland Garros as she stretched Jennifer Capriati to a fantastic joyride of a 2 hour, 21 minute final.

“I love being with Kim,” Hewitt said after one of his cup matches against France. “We measure up well. We understand what we have to deal with being in the Top 10. A different girlfriend probably wouldn’t connect. Her levels of commitment are as high as mine.”

Angele
01-12-2003, 01:53 AM
Thanks a million Cilla :D :kiss: Great articles!!

Goonergal
01-12-2003, 10:55 AM
Hewitt not soft but very, very strong

Despite his toilet-paper ads, Lleyton is king in Oz, writes Kevin Mitchell

Sunday January 12, 2003
The Observer

In his occasionally petulant career, Lleyton Hewitt has fireproofed himself against total derision through the brilliance of his tennis - although quite what endorsing a brand of Australian toilet paper will do for his image abroad is not immediately apparent. But this is a country where sporting status is measured in how much money advertisers can throw at an individual for the ritual embarrassment of pretending to be in love with anything from mobile phones (Adam Gilchrist) to second-hand cars (rugby players you've never heard of).
Already, Hewitt is the youngest Australian to have his face on a postage stamp. So let's hear it for toilet paper.

The boy from Adelaide has gone through the other rites of passage peculiar to celebrities. There was the bust-up with the local tennis writers impertinent enough to suggest in his home town that his opponent could play a bit; an unfortunate outburst over a black official at the US Open; and a general air of brattishness that led Alex Corretja to observe last summer: 'Hewitt is an unfriendly guy.' Brad Gilbert said during Hewitt's progress to this year's Wimbledon title that some day someone in the locker room would 'whack the kid'.

Nevertheless, the 21-year-old kid has matured. A little. Maybe 19-year-old Kim Clijsters has had something to do with that. The lookalike girlfriend known Down Under as 'Our Kim' is universally loved in a Kylie sort of way. 'Australia is definitely my second home,' the Belgian said between applause at the Sydney International, a warm-up gig for this week's Australian Open in Melbourne.

It is difficult to understand from a distance what a star Hewitt is in his own country. Up close, you witness the full media overkill. Lleyton and Kim have taken over from the parted 'Nicole and Tom' as the paparazzi's couple of choice at first nights and airports, and, as Clijsters pointed out last week: 'I almost spend more time here than in Belgium.' Tough call there, Kim.

In fact the couple's playing schedule means they meet up only at grand slams and other moments they can squeeze in between major tournaments in the United States. He bought her a set of golf clubs for Christmas, a hint that she might like to join him on the course occasionally.

'I think he plays off six or seven,' she told reporters. 'I'll have to practise a lot [but] it's just too much walking for me. I think you have to walk around for five hours or something. I'd rather go shopping for five hours.'

So, as they polish their lines for a hungry media, go shopping - for golf clubs, toilet paper and whatever else celebrities do not already have too much of - Lleyton and Kim are growing up in public as best they can.

And tennis life could hardly be more perfect for Hewitt. When the glamour is stripped away, when the changing-room sniping is done with, the kid can play a bit. He is rated number one in the world and is a good bet to keep that ranking for a little while yet. It is hardly a shock that he is top seed for this week's Open, the first Australian to be so acknowledged two years in a row. More significantly, if he lives up to his seeding, he will become the first Australian to win his own Open since the unseeded janitor Mark Edmondson beat the number one seed John Newcombe in 1976.

The Open is Australia's version of Wimbledon - seemingly beyond the grasp of the locals. Hewitt, for instance, has never gone farther than the fourth round in six times of trying. Last year, recovering from chickenpox, he went out in the first round to the ordinary Spaniard Alberto Martin. But he comes here having beaten Martin's compatriot, Juan Carlos Ferrero, 7-5 7-5 2-6 2-6 6-4 in a dramatic Masters Cup final in front of 9,500 gobsmacked Chinese fans in Shanghai. If ever a tennis match showed Hewitt's fighting spirit it was that one.

He is also the only seeded Australian, man or woman, in the Open, which might surprise those casual observers who imagine that this country is peerless at everything from marbles to cricket.

Hewitt, already a firm favourite, has had his price shortened further as a dozen of the world's leading players have again not bothered to make the journey, all citing injuries from the end of last season. (The patriotic Hewitt has been particularly scathing of the absent Greg Rusedski, slightly kinder about Tim Henman, who is at least trying to get fit for the Davis Cup tie in Sydney in February).

Tennis Australia were last week digging their heels in against suggestions by the International Tennis Federation and several players that their Open be pushed back a few weeks to give everyone a chance to prepare properly. This, said Andre Agassi, who always trains through Christmas, is the reason the likes of Pete Sampras do not take the 15-hour journey from the US. Sure it is.

Hewitt is another training zealot. While others have been earning money in the Sydney International, he has been spending long hours every day in Sydney fine-tuning his game with an array of physios and personal trainers almost as big as the England rugby union team's squad of experts. It is that striving for perfection that separates Hewitt (and Agassi) from the pack. 'That's the thing about Lleyton,' says Clijsters. 'When he walks on the court he wants to win every match he plays.'

Still, if Hewitt sees off the challenge of Agassi, his outrageously talented Sydney clone Todd Reid, and Carlos Moya - who beat him four times out of five last year - the endorsement offers will hit his agent's desk like gold bricks. And this kid is so popular he could get away with pushing haemorrhoid cream... so to speak. (eww :o)

Mazza
01-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Awww! Lleyki Articles! :hearts:

Thanks for all of them! :D

pruts
01-12-2003, 03:56 PM
thx for the articles!!!:p :angel:

kit
01-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Awwwww so sweet....:hearts: :hearts: :hearts:
Thank you so much!!!

Knockers LaBroad
09-03-2003, 03:40 PM
WIMBLEDON 2003

Nice to see Hewitt play love game
By Simon Barnes, The Times
July 02, 2003
SUCCESS is a hard thing to deal with.

It is hard enough to deal with your own, but the success of a partner or best friend is 10 times harder.

Kim Clijsters was positively blooming on Monday – in fact, the nearest thing we had to a sunny interval was the Clijsters smile. It came, as you might expect, in victory.

And there was her boyfriend Lleyton Hewitt in the stands, watching her. He was knocked out in the first round and looked like a guy going slowly nuts. That same day, Clijsters won her opening match love and love.

Touchingly, he is still there, cheering for Kim behind his wraparound shades and baseball cap. He is such a snarly, surly bugger on court that you would have thought the first thing he would do is storm off in a frenzy of hate. Instead after he lost he stayed to play out a love game.

Clijsters is going through her draw like an accomplished flat-track bully. She dropped just seven games in her first three matches, as many as Hewitt lost in the second set of the only match he got to play.

After four minutes on Monday, she was three games up without conceding a point against Ai Sugiyama, of Japan.

Sugiyama made Clijsters work, but, with her big, swirly forehand and athletic movement, Clijsters won 6-3 6-2.

Clijsters is playing like a winner. She has just turned 20 and, given that female players mature early, is in her prime.

It's time she won something big and she has the game to do it here. The question is whether she has the brain to take the next step – she was, after all, 5-1 up in the third set against Serena Williams in the final of the Australian Open earlier this year and then put together the best choke since Jana Novotna blubbed all over the Duchess of Kent.

Bounce is the quality at the heart of her game; she has an engaging, tigerish quality as she moves about the court. She is also regarded throughout the game as one of the Nice Ones. Admittedly, that's not a hard accolade to earn in women's tennis, but you fancy Clijsters could earn it in more exacting circles.

She plays with enjoyment as well as with relish and is quite delighted to have Hewitt mooching around the place. She was asked who was supporting whom this week.

"He's definitely helping me," Clijsters said, a smile leaping unbidden to her lips. "It's always nice, it doesn't always happen, you know, to have him in there in the box. It's always special to have him there, yeah."

The trouble people have with a partner's success is not simple envy. There is also a terrible insecurity.

A relationship that prospered in poverty can fall apart when success comes to one and not the other.

It's not bitterness. It is more that the dynamic of the relationship has changed. The year of struggle can be fun; it is in comfort that the tensions become clear.

But there was Hewitt, a man at war with the world, wholeheartedly backing his girl and there was Clijsters blasting another opponent out of the way and beaming up at her box in her moment of triumph.

A nice moment on a day short of beams.

tournesol
09-03-2003, 03:52 PM
:clap2: :bigclap:

gaznev
06-24-2004, 08:34 AM
Resurecting an old thread with an old article. Don't think I've seen this article posted. Came by it accidentally, really sweet.

Lleyton and His Bubbly Girlfriend
By: Kim-Clijsters.com
Date: June 25, 2001, 2:29pm

AS Lleyton Hewitt prepared for the start of Wimbledon tomorrow he found time for some playful moments with his girlfriend Kim Clijsters.

Clijsters, who yesterday brushed Jelena Dokic out of the Heineken Trophy in Holland, amused herself by blowing bubble gum in Hewitt's face as the couple returned from an intimate dinner.
Sporting his new-look shaved head, Hewitt responded by mimicking Clijsters, 18, before leaning over to kiss her on the cheek.
Expectations grew that the fifth-seeded Hewitt could lift the Wimbledon title when he beat Belgian Gilles Elseneer to reach the semi-finals of the Heineken Trophy yesterday.
"I give myself a good chance at Wimbledon, an outside chance," said Hewitt, who had a confidence-boosting win over seven-time champion Pete Sampras on the way to defending his Queen's title. "I'm feeling good. The last week and a half has been really enjoyable."
Hewitt and Clijsters spent just over an hour at a Chinese restaurant in Den Bosch, where local diners seemed oblivious to the high-profile sporting duo's identity, before they strolled back to the modest Nuland Hotel.
Hewitt, 20, who is reluctant to talk publicly about his relationship laughed and held Clijsters' hand over the table as he talked animatedly about the day's play.
Afterwards the pair stepped out onto the major highway, not far from the Rosmalen tennis stadium and again joined hands for the short walk home.
Both go into Wimbledon in top form. Clijsters was runner-up in the French Open.
"We've both been playing well in different tournaments," Hewett said later.
"Obviously mine has come from playing in Queen's last week . . . she's probably still got that self-belief in herself after making the final of the French Open."
Throughout the tournament, Clijsters continued to wear an elegant gold ring with a single diamond on her wedding finger.
It is understood friends of the couple on the international tennis circuit believe the pair are very much in love.
Hewitt is currently ranked number five in the world while Clijsters is ranked seven.
However, they were both seeded top in Holland.
The couple spent every spare minute in each other's company by catching the same car to and from the stadium and sharing a $135 room away from the other guests behind large metal gates.
In the morning they ate breakfast together and during the day Hewitt showed his devotion by sitting through as many of her games as he could.
At tense moments in the games he could be seen giving her an occasional nod of support.
Hewitt was also joined in Europe by his best mate from Emmanuel College in Adelaide Hayden Eckermann, 20, and his brother Jarred, 18.
"It's good just to have a coupla of the boys come over for this stretch," Hewett said.
"They did it last year and they're doing it again this year."
"It's hard coming through a sort of long period in Europe . . . so I hadn't seen all my mates for awhile so it's nice just to get back that feeling even though it is a long way back from Australia. It's that connection of being home, anyway."
Hayden told The Sunday Telegraph he has known Hewitt since they were in the seventh grade at school and have been best mates ever since.
He said Hewitt seemed to like having him around to support him during the games.
"He likes it and it's good. He looks over at us and it's good for us to watch him play," he said.
Aside from being responsible for shaving Hewitt's head, the old school buddies also helped out at practice sessions and joined him in the stands to watch Clijsters.
"She's a really nice girl," Hayden said.
While Hewitt remains cautious about his chances at Wimbledon, reigning champion Pete Sampras believes the feisty Australian has what it takes.
"I would almost rather play him on hardcourt rather than grass," said Sampras in a startling admission from a man who has won 53 of his past 54 matches at Wimbledon for seven crowns.
"After he beat me in the (Queens) final last year, I thought he would go further.
"But I think he'll break through this year and do well.
"He has the mental attitude and the wheels. He moves unbelievably well on grass. All the great Wimbledon champions have had that great mobility – (Bjorn) Borg, (John) McEnroe; they could all move."

Link: http://clijsters.wtnworld.com/clijsters/News/494

Danni
06-24-2004, 09:13 AM
Afterwards the pair stepped out onto the major highway...:lol: sounds like they were trying to get killed or something :p

Thanks for posting :kiss: Love that article...:hearts:

kim4eva
06-24-2004, 01:14 PM
Aww :hearts:
Thanks for the article :kiss:

kim-fan
06-24-2004, 02:51 PM
sweet article :)

you can find here the pics: http://www.lleytonhewitt.biz/articleslleyton/lleytonkimrosmalen.htm