Vince Van Patten [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Vince Van Patten

Auscon
04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
Didnt know he was a tennis pro until after I saw the old Ramones movie he was in, Rock and Roll Highschool, and checked IMDB to see what else he had been in

Since then I've seen that mid-90's tennis movie which he starred in, along with cameos by Fred Stolle and Vitas Gerulaitis

And only just saw tonight that he's now co-hosting the World Poker Tour tv show

a few things of not for VVP the tennis player;

1979 - awarded the Association of Tennis Professionals' Rookie of the Year award, beating out Ivan Lendl for the honor
1981 - beat the first, fourth and fifth-seeded players in the world (Vitas Gerulaitis, Jose Louis Clerk and John McEnroe) to win the Seiko World Super Tennis tournament in Tokyo.
Highest ranking: 25

Anyone here seen him play? I was reading that sporadic back problems held him back from making further inroads into the top.......he have made the top 10 without the problems or was he just not a good enough player?

jole
04-11-2005, 04:17 AM
Fred Stolle made a cameo in a 90's movie?! Was it a comedy??!!

Auscon
04-11-2005, 04:35 AM
Fred Stolle made a cameo in a 90's movie?! Was it a comedy??!!

Stolle commentated the final match in the movie, along with Cliff Drysdale...I think Fred collapses from exhaustion by the end of the match, or something like that

I think it was meant to be a drama, but it was funny for all the wrong reasons :)

The movie was called The Break....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112574/

jole
04-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Stolle commentated the final match in the movie, along with Cliff Drysdale...I think Fred collapses from exhaustion by the end of the match, or something like that

I think it was meant to be a drama, but it was funny for all the wrong reasons :)

The movie was called The Break....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112574/

Man, Freddie is one of my favs. Thanks!

Auscon
04-14-2005, 03:26 AM
lol I'm amazed you were able to get a hold of the movie so quickly......I only saw it on midday tv a few months back, and had never seen it before, and havent seen it since :)

jole
04-14-2005, 03:29 AM
lol I'm amazed you were able to get a hold of the movie so quickly......I only saw it on midday tv a few months back, and had never seen it before, and havent seen it since :)

Yea, it was funny, a guy I play tennis with actually had a copy. Wasn't too bad of a movie. :)

Auscon
04-14-2005, 04:47 AM
Yea, it was funny, a guy I play tennis with actually had a copy. Wasn't too bad of a movie. :)

yeah, I think I liked it more than Wimbledon

but I didnt like Wimbledon too much, so that probably doesnt say alot :)

Santorofan
04-15-2005, 02:21 AM
VVP has been playing some paddle tennis lately - over the past year the Tennis Channel broadcasted the National Paddletennis Championships - where as I recall he was runnerup in both singles and doubles (w/his brother). As a tennis player he had some wins over top ten players though IMO his simutaneous acting career had to have been a bit distracting. I recall him saying that if he had to pick one or the other, he'd pick acting. Hope this helps!

bad gambler
04-15-2005, 06:13 AM
:lol: i watched this one as well, and didn't realise it until now as well auscon

jole
04-15-2005, 08:23 PM
Big Vince also does hosting for the World Poker Tour.

smucav
06-19-2005, 03:21 AM
http://www.usta.com/communitytennis/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=185030

Auscon
06-19-2005, 07:53 AM
http://www.usta.com/communitytennis/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=185030

thanks for the link

cobalt60
06-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the link. I remember him as an acting teenager. And were his parents actors too? I remember a Joyce Van Patten on tv and ? Van Patten as the dad in 8 is enough?

smucav
06-20-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the link. I remember him as an acting teenager. And were his parents actors too? I remember a Joyce Van Patten on tv and ? Van Patten as the dad in 8 is enough?The van Patten family tree:

Dick van Patten & Joyce van Patten are brother & sister (not husband & wife). Dick was a child actor, but is probably best known for starring as Tom Bradford on "Eight is Enough" in the late 70s. Joyce was more of a character actress, but was a regular on "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" & several other t.v. series. Dick & Joyce's younger half-brother Timothy van Patten starred as Salami on "The White Shadow" in the late 70s, but is now an Emmy-nominated t.v. director (Homicide, Sex and the City, The Sopranos).

Dick & wife Pat had three sons: Nels, James, & Vincent (who are all older than his half-brother Timothy!). All three sons have dabbled in acting, with Vincent having the most credits on his resume (mostly in his dad's various t.v. series). After retiring from tennis, he's logged a few more acting roles, but from the bio above, he mostly serves as host of various t.v. programs.

Joyce was briefly married to Oscar-winning actor Martin Balsam & is the mother of Talia Balsam, who is also an actress, but is probably best known as George Clooney's ex-wife.

For further information:
http://www.imdb.com/