Is the ATP Killing Variety in the game???? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is the ATP Killing Variety in the game????

lebron
04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
You know, I think the variety of the game is something that makes tennis great, the different styles of play, different surfaces etc

But for some reason this variety is disappearing. First of all as we all know the grass court season is very short and not many points when compared to clay. Players know they don't really have to worry about grass court skills if they don't want to and still be a top 10 player.

However, even at Wimbledon all the players are saying the surface is becoming slower and slower and easier to play from the baseline. Federer even said it was faster and easier to serve-volley in Gstaad the following week on Clay than it was at Wimbledon. Henman is another player who has commented on how Wimbledon becomes slower each year which means he will play more from the baseline.

I don't like this. I like the variety of having some guys who like to volley, some who like baseline and some who like both. Everyone knows the volley game is now dying in tennis and this is very sad. If there is only 4 weeks of grass court season anyway why not just leave it fast? This is what makes guys like Agassi one of the greats, he won all four slams and he won Wimbledon back when it was very difficult to play a pure baseline game and win on this very fast surface.

Even the hard courts around the world are all being slowed down so we have more baseline, clay-type rallies and we all know there are a lot of clay tournaments.

Now don't get me wrong, I still like to watch baseline rallies, I am just saying I don't want to have the variety taken out of the game and the options of net attack taken out of the game. I don't want to see in 10 years every player being the same type of robot baseline type player, this could be very boring.

Wake up ATP!!!

madmanfool
04-09-2005, 09:23 AM
mhhh well said
i agree 100%

Rogiman
04-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't want to see in 10 years every player being the same type of robot baseline type player, this could be very boring.

Wake up ATP!!!

We're nearly there already, all the young guys joining the tour (Verdasco, Nadal, Monaco etc.) play pretty much the same (bombing from the baseline) with the difference being just how hard they hit the ball.

NATAS81
04-09-2005, 10:17 AM
This is tennis of the new age. Power is everything. Equipment has evolved.

Same goes for every other sport.

Chicks dig the longball.. etc, etc..

Wulfram
04-09-2005, 11:48 AM
It's not a declining amount of grass which is killing serve-volley, the number of Grass tournaments has in fact stayed fairly constant for a long time. Even the slowing down of grass isn't the really major cause. Rather it's the decline of Carpet, which was once a major surface but now is even rarer than grass.

Ferrero Forever
04-09-2005, 11:56 AM
Before i was really into tennis-i didn't know carpet even existed. I still have not seen a match on carpet. And i thought the coverage of Clay was bad.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-09-2005, 01:07 PM
It's an overreaction to the criticism that points are way too short on grass and big serves are making the tournament look bad. Maybe Goran had something to do with this. BTW, I love Goran :)

Jim Jones
04-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Wayne Ferreira and Jonas Bjorkman are some of the players that have strongly criticized the changes done to the courts at Wimbledon. I myself believe that this robbed any chances of Wayne winning at Wimbledon. Anyway, hopefully in the future they will reverse this decision. Changes come and go.

Jenrios
04-09-2005, 03:07 PM
This discussion was a hot potato in the early/mid 90's - mainly, 'is the serve killing tennis?' Sampras, Ivanesevic and Kraijicek were all deemed bad for the game. I guess the same topics just keep coming up and up.

Chloe le Bopper
04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Just because two players spend a lot of time at the baseline doesn't mean that they play the exact same robotic game. However, a lot of people are really ignorant and insist that they do anyways.

Oh well, their loss. Just shows how much they don't know ;)

Action Jackson
04-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Four examples of baseliners who play the same way are Santoro, Gonzalez, Mantilla and Novak.

It depends as jenrios said earlier in the mid to late 90s the serve was deemed too dominant and the surfaces were too fast and one Wimbledon final the ball was in play for 9 mins out of almost 3 hours on court.

They quickened up Roland Garros and they slowed down Wimbledon, seems like they can't win.

Experimentee
04-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Its not just the lack of grass that is killing the S&V game, but also that the technology is getting better, the racquet heads are bigger so there is more power available. Players dont want to come to the net to face 150kph balls.

tennischick
04-09-2005, 04:20 PM
This discussion was a hot potato in the early/mid 90's - mainly, 'is the serve killing tennis?' Sampras, Ivanesevic and Kraijicek were all deemed bad for the game. I guess the same topics just keep coming up and up.
i was thinking the same thing. that there seem to be cycles to these discussions. ;)

Jenrios
04-09-2005, 09:22 PM
Tennischick - I keep thinking I must be getting older the way these discussions keep coming round:)

tennischick
04-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Tennischick - I keep thinking I must be getting older the way these discussions keep coming round:)
you and me both ;) time to pass the baton to the newbies? :angel:

Fedex
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Four examples of baseliners who play the same way are Santoro, Gonzalez, Mantilla and Novak.

I
:haha: :rolls:

Fedex
04-09-2005, 09:52 PM
It depends as jenrios said earlier in the mid to late 90s the serve was deemed too dominant and the surfaces were too fast and one Wimbledon final the ball was in play for 9 mins out of almost 3 hours on court.

They quickened up Roland Garros and they slowed down Wimbledon, seems like they can't win.
Very true.

BlackSilver
04-09-2005, 10:25 PM
No.

Serve and volley guys had always existed and their style always will be a viable choice on tennis. However I support the idea to make the courts of the all england club relatively faster

Chloe le Bopper
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM

Hey, that's even better than the awesome Verdasco, Nadal, and Monaco example that was presented earlier.

Other identical baseliners: Coria, Gaudio, and Ferrero.

World Beater
04-10-2005, 04:19 AM
Nevertheless, they are all baseliners. Just because someone hits a ball with more or less topspin doesnt add to the variety as much as a serve-volleyer does. The point is, we have enough baseliners- many that play diff styles. We need some guys who can hit a volley. Lets take a look at some top players and see who comes to the net with regularity
Fed: to finish pts off
Hewitt: no
Marat: same as fed
Coria:No
Nalbandian: No
Moya:No
Roddick: no
Henman:D
Agassi: No
gaudio:No

-ernie-
04-10-2005, 04:24 AM
I dotn think it ruin variety as long as you have players such as Federer who has every shot, and interesting players like Santoro.

Chloe le Bopper
04-10-2005, 04:25 AM
Just because someone hits a ball with more or less topspin doesnt add to the variety as much as a serve-volleyer does.

You will never convince me that Taylor Dent has more variety than Coria. And I happen to quite like Denthead.

The point is, we have enough baseliners- many that play diff styles. We need some guys who can hit a volley.

I don't disagree that different styles would be nice. I disagree with those who lump together all baseliners as if they play the exact same game. Verdasco, Nadal, and Monaco?! :confused:

*You* didn't do this, but this is why I've been protesting ;)

World Beater
04-10-2005, 04:30 AM
i dont disagree with your assesment of coria and dent as players. It is true coria has more shots. But i will say that Dent adds more variety to the tour as a whole because his style isnt exactly flourishing. There are others that play a similar style to coria while few play serve-volley consistently.

Chloe le Bopper
04-10-2005, 04:31 AM
i dont disagree with your assesment of coria and dent as players. It is true coria has more shots. But i will say that Dent adds more variety to the tour as a whole because his style isnt exactly flourishing. There are others that play a similar style to coria while few play serve-volley consistently.
Indeed.

WyveN
04-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Its quite sad when the best grass player in the world only began to volley during the Wimbledon fortnight in the final when he was in danger of losing the match.

There are a lot of different baseliners with a variety of strengths but even now watching a Dent/Henman involved in a match is a breath of fresh air.