Mardy beat Andy!

tangerine_dream
04-08-2005, 03:02 PM
It was an exhibition match but still, a win's a win :woohoo:

Roddick's wrist passes the test
By DALE ROBERTSON
Houston Chronicle
April 8, 2005

The wrist injury that knocked defending champion Andy Roddick out of the Nasdaq-100 Open in his first match two weeks ago didn't seem to be an issue during his first appearance at River Oaks Country Club on Thursday night.

But, relaxed and joking, Roddick did lose to his childhood buddy and Olympic silver-medalist Mardy Fish 6-3, 7-6 in an exhibition in conjunction with the River Oaks International.

Roddick had earlier pronounced himself 100 percent fit in a cell phone conversation while he was driving down from Austin, saying he was looking forward to getting back on the court "in a competitive atmosphere."

"I had a good workout (Wednesday), and it feels perfect today," he said.

Roddick, who has won 18 of his 22 matches in 2005 and is ranked No. 3 in the world behind Roger Federer and Lleyton Hewitt, whipped his forehand and served with his usual ferocity, two essential elements of his trademark power game. He had sprained a tendon in the wrist when he swung awkwardly from the baseline in the second set of a second-round match against Fernando Verdasco in Key Biscayne, Fla.

"It's always a tough dynamic (to decide whether to quit)," he said. "You don't want to make it worse. When you ask the trainer if (continuing to play) will make it worse and he answers, 'I don't know,' you have to be professional and make the smart decision."

Roddick is listed in the draw for the Master Series Monte Carlo tournament, which starts Monday, but he hasn't yet made a decision about traveling to Europe. He must tell the ATP by noon today. He'll be returning to Houston for the U.S. Men's Clay Court Championships at Westside Tennis Club the following week.

While it appears highly unlikely he'll go to Monaco, Roddick laughed and said: "We'll see. ... I like a little spontaneity in my life."

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/3392/mardyandy9jc.jpg

MisterQ
04-08-2005, 03:42 PM
... and Andy liked it! :devil:

tangerine_dream
04-08-2005, 03:47 PM
LOL. For once, Andy was happy to submit :devil:

aceit
04-08-2005, 09:40 PM
:lol: HE WON!

Congrats Mardy! :yeah:

Deboogle!.
04-08-2005, 10:53 PM
no comment:tape:

liptea
04-09-2005, 02:17 AM
Today, I walked around saying, "Fishizzle" everywhere, as an homage to Mardy Fish.

Seriously, if Carlos Moya ever turns publicly gay with Rafa, I claim Mardy Fish.

-sOfia-
04-09-2005, 03:23 AM
Err-k Mardy. :tape: :p

Carito_90
04-09-2005, 06:58 PM
holymonkey.

Andy :rolleyes:

But good Mardy :lol:

Mardy looks so weird with that hair :scared: and Andy... hasn't your mom taught you that you're supposed to BRUSH your hair before going out?! Geez.

Golfnduck
04-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Good win for Mardy :yeah: But what the hell were you thinking Andy :smash:

Aleksa's Laydee
04-10-2005, 11:23 AM
is ^^ a recent pic of mardy :drool:!!! well done fishy!!

Deboogle!.
04-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Well, according to Mardy's site he pulled out of Monte Carlo with "hurt biceps" - that's about as weak an excuse as I've ever heard. He didn't even gain direct entry into Rome and Hamburg - he'd need 4 and 5 people to withdraw, respectively, to get in. But yea, Mardy really needs to focus on winning real matches... his ranking will plummet even more after Halle :o

Golfnduck
04-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Well, according to Mardy's site he pulled out of Monte Carlo with "hurt biceps" - that's about as weak an excuse as I've ever heard. He didn't even gain direct entry into Rome and Hamburg - he'd need 4 and 5 people to withdraw, respectively, to get in. But yea, Mardy really needs to focus on winning real matches... his ranking will plummet even more after Halle :o
Mardy's ranking is going down the drain :smash:

aceit
04-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Mardy's ranking is going down the drain :smash:
:sad: So true but so sad.

Deboogle!.
04-12-2005, 02:30 AM
It's already gone down the drain... he started 2004 in the top 20 and said his big goal was to make TMC and be in the top 10. Well, he's now 55 and will drop more if he doesn't defend his points from Halle (he's playing Queens this year instead, which has a very tough field full of good crass-courters - he could draw Hewitt, Henman, Roddick, and the like in the first round).

And because he can't get into the clay TMS events directly, at least not without some withdrawals, he might as well play challengers or something to get some points - and some damn CONFIDENCE. :(

aceit
04-13-2005, 12:44 AM
conˇfiˇdence ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knf-dns)
n.
Trust or faith in a person or thing.
A trusting relationship: I took them into my confidence.

That which is confided; a secret: A friend does not betray confidences.
A feeling of assurance that a confidant will keep a secret: I am telling you this in strict confidence.
A feeling of assurance, especially of self-assurance.
The state or quality of being certain: I have every confidence in your ability to succeed.

Get some, Mardy! :(