Dirt: A Fact of Life [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Dirt: A Fact of Life

ae wowww
04-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Saw something similar on WTAWorld--we have to put up with the clay season, whether some of us like it or not :devil: so, why not make it a little easier with some interesting facts, and 'did you knows' etc.

Devotee
04-08-2005, 03:38 AM
At the Nasdaq-100 commentator Patrick McEnroe advocated starting several clay court tournaments in the United States!

Chloe le Bopper
04-08-2005, 03:48 AM
I like the clay season. Not only is it my favourite, but I get to watch ignorant people whine about it for two months. At least grass season is only 4 weeks long. And I don't hate grass anyways.

Note: I'm not calling you an ignorant person for starting the thread. I'm just saying... a lot of people who don't know their ass from their elbow make stupid comments during clay season, that demonstrate they have no idea what they are talking about. I look forward to it.

A Random Fact thread is a fun idea. Sorry I don't have any ;)

Plastic Bertrand
04-08-2005, 03:52 AM
It should be banned.

Neely
04-08-2005, 04:00 AM
but I get to watch ignorant people whine about it for two months.
Yes, I'm also "whining" about it, just to take myself as an example. I don't like the play on clay and it's my least favourite surface. After Miami, the only thing that really counts for me is counting down the days backwards until we get to see some green surface, which I'm considering as the best, most interesting and most refreshing time of the whole season :yeah: But okay, I can bear the European clayseson and no other surface tournaments during that time, I've done it every season so far I will get over it this season, too ;) :p

MissMoJo
04-08-2005, 04:08 AM
Did you know?
On some tennis courts (ok, so far only the one that i saw but still...) they cover the court with black beach sand to mimic the experience of a clay court :D

Devotee
04-08-2005, 04:12 AM
Maybe some people don't know but the clay at Roland Garros is faster than it used to be.

RonE
04-08-2005, 04:57 AM
Here is one: in Roland Garros they put some kind of chemical material in the sand to keep it from clumping into mud-blocks and apparently this chemical is slightly toxic.

ae wowww
04-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I like the clay season. Not only is it my favourite, but I get to watch ignorant people whine about it for two months. At least grass season is only 4 weeks long. And I don't hate grass anyways.

Note: I'm not calling you an ignorant person for starting the thread. I'm just saying... a lot of people who don't know their ass from their elbow make stupid comments during clay season, that demonstrate they have no idea what they are talking about. I look forward to it.

A Random Fact thread is a fun idea. Sorry I don't have any ;)

:lol: It's fine... Although my intro was a bit hypocritical, I enjoy the clay season-just not the results :p

Action Jackson
04-08-2005, 08:53 AM
A lot of fans dislike this part of year, and many others don't.

ae wowww
04-08-2005, 08:59 AM
Has Alex Popp ever lost a match on clay? I'm not sure he's played yet...

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:00 AM
I like the clay season, its more powerful and exciting than other surfaces. I hate grass - I find it really boring and I am British therefore - apparently - should be programmed to LOVE Wimbledon - which I do not.. Dirt rules... Players get dirty and (GWH think the Toad!) Players play dirty too..... :devil:

Action Jackson
04-08-2005, 09:02 AM
A fun time of the year.

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Maybe if America showed more... then the Americans would see the appeal... Maybe Excessive Shara Pova Network should show her rolling about in it a bit... maybe that will increase the viewing for the Americans - OBVIOUSLY they should only use this as a starter before the Men Play!

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:05 AM
GWH - definitely - NOW until the end Kitzbuhel... Rules... (ok excusing that green hairy clay bit in the middle...)

Action Jackson
04-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Maybe if America showed more... then the Americans would see the appeal... Maybe Excessive Shara Pova Network should show her rolling about in it a bit... maybe that will increase the viewing for the Americans - OBVIOUSLY they should only use this as a starter before the Men Play!

This is what is known as idealism.

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
its also called a suggestion.... ;)

Action Jackson
04-08-2005, 09:09 AM

Of course.

Choupi
04-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Which is much unlikely to come true, I'm afraid. I'm also a lover of that upcoming clay season btw...

*Ljubica*
04-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Clay is the best in my opinion. The play is more graceful, more artistic and interesting, - and not power/serve dominated which is something I personally find excruciatingly boring and hate watching :zzz: . Plus I personally get to spend nearly 8 weeks watching live tennis in beautiful locations like Paris, Rome and Monte Carlo. I can't wait for clay to start every year and I absolutely loathe the boring grass season - just glad it doesn't last too long :devil:

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:20 AM
When does your next clay adventure start Rosie?

*Ljubica*
04-08-2005, 09:24 AM
When does your next clay adventure start Rosie?

Later on today.

basil333
04-08-2005, 09:29 AM
safe trip... (Watch out for Grace Jones !!! - she got herself thrown off Eurostar....)

Bibir
04-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Clay has always been one of my favorite surfaces (now I prefer hardcourts) .
Every little things can make a big difference...You can't cheat...You have to be mentally and physically irreproachable.

Plus, clay is the only surface in tennis where you can actually look at the bounce marks to determine whether a ball was in or out. :p

ae wowww
04-08-2005, 09:59 AM
You can't cheat
Didn't know the pros called their own lines ;)

Bibir
04-08-2005, 10:17 AM
You can't cheat..*pause*..with yourself and with your body. ;)