How long will Younes El Aynaoui play for? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How long will Younes El Aynaoui play for?

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:13 AM
I am trying something different here a tennis thread on GM.

Younes El Aynaoui is on the comeback trail and he managed to get a set off Labadze and pushed Volandri in his last 2 matches. I mean that might not sound like much, but it was better than his previous matches, where he was lucky to win a point

Younes is one of the cool guys on tour and is a very classy sportsman and I just hope that he can stay injury free for his rest of his career. I mean he has missed a total of 4 years because of injuries and he has managed to fight back, but this time I am not sure how successful he will be.

He has never done that much in the Slams and it seems he'll always be remembered as the guy that lost to Roddick at the Aus Open.

El Legenda
04-07-2005, 05:15 AM
I say he gives rest of this year a shot..if it does not work out and he keeps losing bad in 1st round..he will faid away next season.

bad gambler
04-07-2005, 05:17 AM
unless he is willing to ply his trade in the challenger circuit for a while I can't see him being around much longer

that roddick match was very special, and you are right in that he will be probably only be remembered for that match

jole
04-07-2005, 05:19 AM
Does anyone know if he is still dealing with pain from his planar fasciitis, or is he just stuggling with getting his game in gear while on the way back?

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Well I hope he can do something at the challenger level and maybe play a full season next year. I don't want to see him retire too soon.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:23 AM
Does anyone know if he is still dealing with pain from his planar fasciitis, or is he just stuggling with getting his game in gear while on the way back?

I think it's more the time away thing now. He had the 2 ankle problems beforehand which both required surgery, then there was an achilles problem and the planar fasciitis.

The Bolletieri bootcamp bus driver was Younes.

jole
04-07-2005, 05:28 AM
I think it's more the time away thing now. He had the 2 ankle problems beforehand which both required surgery, then there was an achilles problem and the planar fasciitis.

The Bolletieri bootcamp bus driver was Younes.

I would definitely like to see him smoke flat forehand winners from anywhere on the court again.

Is a cool story about him in Florida too for sure. Something tells me not many kids down there drive the bus anymore to help pay their tuition.

MisterQ
04-07-2005, 05:31 AM
He has never done that much in the Slams and it seems he'll always be remembered as the guy that lost to Roddick at the Aus Open.

I'm sure he would prefer to be known as the guy that brilliantly took out Hewitt in the round before... but you're right, that Roddick match will be what he is most widely remembered for, unless he does something else of note.

Younes is one of my favorite personalities on tour, and his game is dazzling when it is working well. Let's hope he has a few more years of good tennis in him.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:33 AM
I would definitely like to see him smoke flat forehand winners from anywhere on the court again.

Is a cool story about him in Florida too for sure. Something tells me not many kids down there drive the bus anymore to help pay their tuition.

Don't forget he didn't take the game at all seriously at all until he was 17. He never had the means and didn't get help from the Moroccan federation. I can tell Nick didn't teach him a backhand.

He has only won 5 titles, but he managed to drive Ferrero nuts when Ferrero was playing his game very well.

Too many spoilt kids there now for the tution thing.

NATAS81
04-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Younes needs to attempt to qualify for AO '06 and hope he faces Roddick somewhere down the line.

That's what seemed to energize his game the last time.

Though Roddick's groundstrokes aren't the best, you have to think El Aynaoui would still have the grit and determination to compete in some big tournaments taking into account this wasn't long ago.

jole
04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Posting this because it seems to be difficult to find lots of biographical info on Younes. From his ATP page:

While growing up, he enjoyed getting a souvenir (wrist band or other item) from a tennis player and says, "I'm always trying to give things away and make the people at least happy."...Attended Nick Bollettieri Academy from 1990-92 and while there, drove the bus, cleaned the gym and watched kids in their room to help pay for his stay there...Speaks six languages (Arabic, English, French, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish)...

Member of Moroccan Davis Cup team since 1990 with a 23-15 career record (21-9 in singles) in 18 ties...Earned ATP Comeback Player of the Year in 1998, improving from 444 to No. 49 after missing seven months in '97...

Wife, Anne Sophie (married Sept. 13, 1997); sons, Ewen (born Aug. 11, 1997), Neil born July 2, 2001) and Noam (born Aug. 21, 2003)...Member of 2000-01 and 2002-03 ATP Player Council...In June 2003 at ATP tournament in Halle, defeated German teenager Christopher Koderisch in 1st RD and afterwards he played an extra set with his opponent for the benefit of the audience...One of most prominent personalities in Morocco, beyond sports...In a 2003 poll by leading Moroccan economic daily, "L'Economiste," he came in first as a role model for society...Has also been endowed with highest possible decoration from the King of Morocco...Uses his influence on Moroccan society to promote solidarity and activities of outreach to young and less privileged...Has developed a partnership with the National Association of Tennis Coaches for initiation of the youth in need to practice and values of sports and is currently designing a foundation that will enable such initiatives to reach a broader public... Fitness trainer is Ricardo Gaitero Paz (since Dec. 2002).

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm sure he would prefer to be known as the guy that brilliantly took out Hewitt in the round before... but you're right, that Roddick match will be what he is most widely remembered for, unless he does something else of note.

Younes is one of my favorite personalities on tour, and his game is dazzling when it is working well. Let's hope he has a few more years of good tennis in him.

With Younes, it's like Corretja. No matter what Corretja did after the US Open 96 most fans well not the Euro ones will know him as the guy that lost to Sampras in the QF when Pete chundered all over the court.

The press well he is usually busy with them as he has to entertain questions in 6 languages.

Action Jackson
04-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Younes needs to attempt to qualify for AO '06 and hope he faces Roddick somewhere down the line.

That's what seemed to energize his game the last time.

He made the semis of Doha that year, he came into AO with good form and he did nothing after that until Miami.

tennis4eva
04-07-2005, 05:48 AM
:worship: I just love Younes and everything about him. He's one of the nicest people that has ever lived and definately the nicest tennis player ever. I really hope he will try to play for awhile longer. I would hate to see him just dissappear....I truly believe he can win a few more great matches before he retires. One has to admit, he has some problems with his game, but he sure as hell knows how to play tennis with the game he does have... and because of that Younes deserves way more recognition. Whenever I watch him play I can't stop smiling.... :D He will always be one of my favs, even if he reties tomorrow.

jole
04-07-2005, 05:51 AM
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/_photos/2003-01-20-inside-elaynaoui.jpg http://www.tennis-x.com/images/players/younes.jpg

A few pics for those new to Younes.

tennischick
04-07-2005, 06:09 AM
the Tennis Channel recently did a lovely expose on Younes. he's looking quite a bit older and beat-up, but his love for the game was still there. he talked about his father not ever supporting (or taking seriously) his interest in tennis, and how difficult it was for him to break thru. and he said that he has never discussed it with his father bec he doesn't want the old guy to feel badly, but that he would make different choices for his children (cut to pix of some cute blonde boys). with respect to his future in the sport, i got the sense that he might be the next Connors -- he's gonna be playing tennis well into his 40's.

Experimentee
04-07-2005, 06:18 AM
It was a long time to be out and i think he is just trying to get his groove back. It will take time but I think he can get at least back to the top 100.

uNIVERSE mAN
04-07-2005, 06:23 AM
If he keeps at it and practices hard, one day I'm positive he'll win a set.

tennischick
04-07-2005, 06:24 AM
If he keeps at it and practices hard, one day I'm positive he'll win a set.
:lol: thanks for the laugh :wavey:

Deivid23
04-07-2005, 08:36 AM
I watched his match against Volandri, yesterday. In final games he showed some signs of life, he served better and hit some "like-old-times" fhs (not so powerful both shots). Hope this is the beginning of an improvement in his level cause it was sad to see him crawling in courts lately

SuperFurryAnimal
04-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Younes has got one of the greatest personalities on the ATP. On top of that, he's won several tournaments and has played some very memorable matches. The man is widely respected for his game. This amazingly nice man deserves a farewell in dignity. So please let him win - at least - one more tournament in his last season!

Younes, always in my heart! :worship:

maratski
04-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Younes is going to play at least till the end of 2006. I saw an interview with him a few months ago when he was preparing for his return. He loves the game too much and as long as his body still keeps up, he'll continue playing.

He does lots of charity work for Morocco and is great with the media. He never refuses to give an interview. He gives them in arab, unlike Hicham ;)

I hope to meet him again this year and hopefully the peeps of the moroccan sportsnews will be there again. They were nice to me when I met them in 2003 and have interesting info for fans wanting to see their faves ;)

syd
04-07-2005, 11:34 AM
he said: He wants his country to get more interested on tennis !!

maratski
04-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Yesterday there was also an interview with Mounir el Aarej on tv. He also talked about the current state of Moroccan tennis. It's hopeless. :sad: Mounir himself and some other guys are ranked way too low to get any tv coverage and inspire people. I hope Younes will succeed in this. Tennis costs money which lots of people in Morocco either don't have or don't want to spend on tennis.

The fact that corruption exists doesn't help tennis either. The chiefs take all the money for personal use and don't care about the peeps wanting to play tennis. Too bad 95% of the population is corrupt. The King does what he can to stop it, but he can't stop 30 million people from being corrupt...

Fumus
04-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Younes needs the money, I forsee him going back to the challengers to make ends meet.

Plastic Bertrand
04-08-2005, 04:54 AM
I watched his match against Volandri, yesterday. In final games he showed some signs of life, he served better and hit some "like-old-times" fhs (not so powerful both shots). Hope this is the beginning of an improvement in his level cause it was sad to see him crawling in courts lately

Yes, it would sad to see him go the way of Michael Chang or the way Corretja is going at the moment.

I'd like to see him win one more title before he retires.

Action Jackson
04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
He does lots of charity work for Morocco and is great with the media. He never refuses to give an interview. He gives them in arab, unlike Hicham ;)

I hope to meet him again this year and hopefully the peeps of the moroccan sportsnews will be there again. They were nice to me when I met them in 2003 and have interesting info for fans wanting to see their faves ;)

Wasn't Younes raised in Morocco and Hicham was raised in France? Maybe Hicham just feels more comfortable speaking French.

I have heard that Younes does a lot of charity work and since you are going to RG he should have plenty of Moroccan support there in France.

maratski
04-08-2005, 10:38 PM
It doesn't matter where you grow up, you should know the basics of your language. I know that tennis talk in Arab isn't easy, but when a reporter comes up to you the least you can do is say hello in Arab and then switch to French. ;)

I really hope to see Younes again. I'll look out for the moroccan tv crew again cause they follow Younes everywhere. And they've got the schedule of practice times ;) I was grateful for that in 2003 ;)