Is this a good tennis racquet to buy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is this a good tennis racquet to buy?

Ajmorgan25
04-06-2005, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty new to tennis. Been playing for a few months, pretty good forehand, crap backhand, and a 50-55mph serve. Practicing to get better and hoping to join the tennis team.

Since I'm not all that smart about tennis, I wanna know if this is a good racquet to buy.
http://www.tennisexpress.com/racquetpage/racquetdetail.asp?sku=237011

Thanks.

ProAm tennis
04-06-2005, 10:12 PM
I'm pretty new to tennis. Been playing for a few months, pretty good forehand, crap backhand, and a 50-55mph serve. Practicing to get better and hoping to join the tennis team.

Since I'm not all that smart about tennis, I wanna know if this is a good racquet to buy.
http://www.tennisexpress.com/racquetpage/racquetdetail.asp?sku=237011

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm Fernando from France, I'm a 11 years old tennis player from the federation, It's look like to be " a strong, hard raquet :mad: ". For myself I prefer a Babolat one, not heavy, and generaly for young boy you will have to choose a raquett not to heavy. ;)
Prefer fiber than carbon, you would better ask in your club to your coatch or trainer... Or the better is to test it before buying it....

!!! eatch player, a different raquet !!!

Sportily

ae wowww
04-06-2005, 10:14 PM
It's an atrocious racket, for some fucked up reason I've tried it. It's got no weight, and is an odd shape.

Try Wilson Hyper pro staff 6.0 ;)

Ajmorgan25
04-06-2005, 10:22 PM
How about this one??

http://www.tennisexpress.com/racquetpage/racquetdetail.asp?sku=T7435

ae wowww
04-06-2005, 10:24 PM
Not tried it, doesn't look very solid, would probably turn in your hand. Not stiff enough! Maybe you need to look at slightly more expensive rackets.

Fee
04-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Okay, we need an Equipment forum. Since you live in the United States, go to www.tennis-warehouse.com and read the entire site, including the messageboard. Demo whatever looks good. (www.tennis.com has a racquet guide that you might find helpful as well).

Short answer - try a Prince racquet. And if anyone tells you to buy a Wilson nCode because that's what Federer uses, walk away very quickly (because it's not what he uses). Good luck with your search. :D

forsure
04-06-2005, 11:02 PM
what does he use?

uNIVERSE mAN
04-07-2005, 12:11 AM
It's all about the talent not the racquet you use.

erik-the-red
04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Roger Federer uses a 100% custom-made Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.0. It's totally made for him, because his model is ~ 90 square inches and the models you can buy online are either 85 or 95.

Personally, I would advise a Prince Original Graphite Oversize. It will FORCE you to develop and maintain proper form in your groundstrokes. Plus, it's heavy, so if you're against a heavy-hitter, it can take the damage and dish it back out.

But, first and foremost, DEMO and FEEL the racquet you're going to buy.

misyou25
04-07-2005, 01:59 PM
gotta say, head's always good. the grip is not comfortable (in my opinion) because it's squared (you know what i mean?). you should maybe buy a head liquid, it's good for 'beginners' and also for pros. good luck

misyou25
04-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Not tried it, doesn't look very solid, would probably turn in your hand. Not stiff enough! Maybe you need to look at slightly more expensive rackets.
good point

Peoples
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Roger Federer uses a 100% custom-made Wilson Prostaff Classic 6.0. It's totally made for him, because his model is ~ 90 square inches and the models you can buy online are either 85 or 95.

How do you know?

ae wowww
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
How do you know?

It is common knowledge. You only have to look at it to see, most top pros have paint job sticks..

Peoples
04-07-2005, 03:10 PM
By looking at it you can never notice about the square inches unless the difference is really big. I know about the paint jobs but why can't it be one of the regular ProStaffs that he uses?

Angle Queen
04-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay, we need an Equipment forum.Agreed...as well as a "tip" area.

And if anyone tells you to buy a Wilson nCode because that's what Federer uses, walk away very quickly (because it's not what he uses)Walk away...because the advice you're getting is questionable...not necessarily because of the racket. I play with an nCode n5 and like it. It was one of Tennis mag's Editor's Choices (for NTRP 3.0 to 4.0 players like me) and I demoed both the regular size and oversized...extensively...before deciding to buy.

I'm a firm, firm believer in...try before you buy. The price of demoing it will comeback to you many times over.

CooCooCachoo
04-07-2005, 04:17 PM
If you are new to tennis, it really doesn't matter much. Unless you will play at a really high level, differences between racquets don't generate a significantly different outcome. But do try to avoid oddly shaped racquets.

Good luck with your decision :)

Rex
04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
play with a racket you find good- i went throguh about 7 rackets before finding the right one. You CANNOT find the right one by saying," the pros use that one" , or "its cheap and doesnt look too bad". ITs crap. You NEED to test your rackets- and find out which one feels right. You just need to..........

ae wowww
04-07-2005, 05:47 PM
play with a racket you find good- i went throguh about 7 rackets before finding the right one. You CANNOT find the right one by saying," the pros use that one" , or "its cheap and doesnt look too bad". ITs crap. You NEED to test your rackets- and find out which one feels right. You just need to..........

What are you using at the moment, Reza baby?

misyou25
04-07-2005, 05:53 PM
and i'm not sure...but you shouldnt buy your raquet from the internet/catalogue...go to a shop and take it in your hand and such...play a ball :haha: serious

Fee
04-07-2005, 06:11 PM
and i'm not sure...but you shouldnt buy your raquet from the internet/catalogue...go to a shop and take it in your hand and such...play a ball :haha: serious

Unless that website/catalogue has a demo program, which Tennis-Warehouse does. It's a bit of a pain to do the shipping and such, but I know someone who tested 4 different Vokl racquets for a week and then bought two of the model that he liked.

(Angle Queen, next time you're in Northern California, call me so we can hit :D.)

kek
04-07-2005, 06:13 PM
If you are new to tennis, it really doesn't matter much. Unless you will play at a really high level, differences between racquets don't generate a significantly different outcome. But do try to avoid oddly shaped racquets.

Good luck with your decision :)

Good advice. If you are a beginner, you will not be able to tell much differences in a racquet.

I for one have been playing a very long time and I can tell the difference with a different tension of string from one racquet to the other.

I have tried the n code and it's nice but way overpriced.

I play with the Dunlop 300g. I like it for the value.

Angle Queen
04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
I have tried the n code and it's nice but way overpriced. It is nice and with a US$220 list, it is overpriced. I shopped around and got it on eBay for considerably less. I normally would much prefer to support my local pro shop...but they get plenty of money from me over the course of a typical season. I felt a little guilty since they're the ones I demoed with...but the owner was very understanding. He also said he expected the price to come down some (but he didn't have any specifics of when or how much).

deliveryman
04-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Honestly... Just get a racquet. You having the best racquet out there isn't going to make a difference if you've been playing the game for 3 months.

The
04-07-2005, 11:03 PM
Okay, we need an Equipment forum. Since you live in the United States, go to www.tennis-warehouse.com and read the entire site, including the messageboard. Demo whatever looks good. (www.tennis.com has a racquet guide that you might find helpful as well).

Short answer - try a Prince racquet. And if anyone tells you to buy a Wilson nCode because that's what Federer uses, walk away very quickly (because it's not what he uses). Good luck with your search. :D

You must really love TW.

Turkeyballs Paco
04-07-2005, 11:11 PM
For me, anything really light or really flexible was really crap. Demo the rackets, even if you are new to tennis, I think.

Get the wrong one, you think you suck or you get tennis elbow after a week, and you'll be more likely to give up on it too quickly.

Fee
04-08-2005, 01:01 AM
You must really love TW.

Did someone pee in your Cheerios? You seem a bit cynical in this thread...

I neither love nor hate TW, I just think there is a lot of information there and they have a decent demo program.

TennisLurker
04-08-2005, 02:12 AM
I agree with Fee, go to the tenniswarehouse discussion message board, there are many racket freaks there who know a lot.