Favourite Moments/Memories Of The US Open 2001 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Favourite Moments/Memories Of The US Open 2001

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Seeing as the 2002 US Open is coming up, I though it would be nice to reflect on the high points and favourite mems from Last Year's Open.

Ok I will start with mine:

1. Agassi Vs Sampras-4th Round: To me this is one of the greatest matches I have ever seen. Rarely in a match do you get 4 sets of total pure quality and this is what I think we got. To go through 4 Tie-Break Sets like that was amazing and the rallies were awesome. It was kinda a shame that Agassi faltered in the 4th set tie-break but regardless how often do you see a US Open Crowd giving a standing ovation at the end of a third set of tennis! Two legends at their best and you could see how much it meant to Sampras at the end of his match.

2.Roddick Vs Hewitt-Quarter Final: This match was just as exciting as the 1st that I picked. The battle of the new balls There were some classic winners and points from both with both putting their bodies on the line(Roddick more so :o) To win. Again the crowd atmosphere was great. It had everything including controversy at the end. (Though it was the right result! ;))

3. Kuerten Vs Mirnyi-1st Round: I don't really watch that many of Guga's matches but this was a real spectacle his fight back from 2 sets to love down from being totally down and out in the match was fantastic. And I was pleased that the crowd got to see Guga at his best as he is not that weel known in america. I think in that match the american crowd gained a whole heap of respect for Guga. though I had to feel for Mirnyi coz really he should've won. But to see Guga's mum jumping out of her seat at every point was a picture :)

All of these matches were night matches so IMO the night matches seem to have a better atmosphere in General and the crowd get into it more.

And there is also a small detail of Hewitt winning that pleased me but I won't rub it in ;)

So those were my fave moments of last year , what are yours?

:wavey:

TheBoiledEgg
07-21-2002, 12:34 PM
what fav memories :p

outcome was a nightmare

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Pfffft @ Eggy! :p Be serious :)

Angele
07-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Cilla since you started this thread do I need your permission to be gooberish ;) :o

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 12:44 PM
As long as it is in moderation :o ;)

Angele
07-21-2002, 12:51 PM
so then is my fave momemt allowed to be Lleyton and Kim's kiss or does it have to be something else? Cuz I also really liked the final and his quarter final match with Andy :)

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Yes, but maybe a bit more tennis related next time..........;) I didn't write that long reply for nothing!! :p

JeNn
07-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Cilla I agree with all your highlights. Also Rafter/Sampras Round of 16's was very high quality as well :D

Angele...I loved their kiss as well. I wonder what they got up to after it :drool: ;) Probably even naughtier than what they did in the Big Brother house. Lol :D

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 01:02 PM
:o :eek: @ Jenn well looks like u r already delivering with your promise to spice things up around here your BB Tales are rubbing off! Oh yeah I forgot Rafter vs Sampras but that would go below my 3 main choices

JeNn
07-21-2002, 01:05 PM
Cilla...I always deliver on my promises ;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 01:06 PM
I was quite keen on Roddicks meltdown.

That was the true highlight for me.

Okay, so I didn't really get to see the US open, because I didnt' have a TV in res yet, but hey - it sounded funny

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
I was quite keen on Roddicks meltdown.

That was the true highlight for me.

Okay, so I didn't really get to see the US open, because I didnt' have a TV in res yet, but hey - it sounded funny

I thought that might be a fave of yours;) Meltdown of epic proportions just about covers it! :eek:

Lol @ Jenn :p

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 01:11 PM
OMG its the Jenn of big brother fame?

:D

I love you Jenn :kiss:

You write good stories!

Daniel
07-21-2002, 01:12 PM
I remember the kiss between Lleyton and Kim :) :) :) :)

U.S. AIR FORCE
07-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Roddick losing.

No offense to his fans.

But was it necessary to have his matches on Center Court every night? What did he do to deserve it?

I hope Lleyton beats him again. Or one of the Thomas Swedes. They are my favs. :)

:cool:

Dissident
07-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Guga vs Mirnyi was the best match in my opinion.
Agassi vs Sampras comes right after.
Sampras vs Rafter then.

Becool
07-21-2002, 02:01 PM
Andy vs Lleyton match
Guga vs Mirnyi match
Agassi vs Sampras match

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 02:03 PM
The Thomas Swedes? hehe, that's cute :)

Williams Rulez
07-21-2002, 02:18 PM
None... my poor Agassi lost in 4 painful tiebreaks... :sad:

Then poor Andy got a bad call from the chair... :sad:

lol, but I must admit I enjoyed Andre's and Andy's matches... they were fabulous... :)

TheBoiledEgg
07-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Guga vs Max was brilliant

Henman losing :D so funny

Williams Rulez
07-21-2002, 02:22 PM
Henman losing... that was a great moment... I was sick of watching his matches... :yawn:

I'm pleased that Henman doesn't make it as far in any of the other slams compared to Wimbledon... or I won't be able to watch anything else...

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Williams Rulez
Henman losing... that was a great moment... I was sick of watching his matches... :yawn:

I'm pleased that Henman doesn't make it as far in any of the other slams compared to Wimbledon... or I won't be able to watch anything else...

Ditto.....I share your pain!

tennischick
07-21-2002, 02:36 PM
Hewitt-Blake. Blake came so close. and Hewitt was such a jerk. :mad: and Blake found himself under the spotlight -- for the wrong reasons. but the match was good.

Andre vs the Android was a boring predictable match that put me to sleep. their matches are the perfect cure for insomnia. ;) ;)

Static
07-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Guga vs Mirnyi :( :) - That match was very interesting but I felt very bad for Max, he played so well, I just wish he could have kept it together :(

Sampras vs Rafter :sad: - I remember when Rafter won the third set the Aussie fan said to the camera: " he is coming back"... but he didn't and it was so sad because it was the last time I got to see Rafter play (live) :sad:

Lleyton vs Roddick - Heehee :D

kallrose
07-21-2002, 06:23 PM
My favorite was the match with Guga and Myrni - but I think it was in R32, not the first round. My other two matches were between Sampras and Agassi and then Sampras and Rafter.

Elleke
07-21-2002, 06:30 PM
henman losing :kiss:

Angele
07-21-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by JeNn
Angele...I loved their kiss as well. I wonder what they got up to after it :drool: ;) Probably even naughtier than what they did in the Big Brother house. Lol :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: naughtier than the bb house doesn't leave much to the imagination now does it ;) :o

AtPGiRL
07-22-2002, 05:25 AM
Well, since I was there... :p

fave matches were:
Marat/Arazi,
Marat/Johansson,
Hewitt/Roddick,
Hewitt/Blake,
Agassi/Sampras,
and there was a really good Malisse match.. can't remember who he played, but it went 5 sets and it was a nail biter! :eek:

Dissident
07-22-2002, 01:45 PM
Wasnt it Malisse vs Henman???
Some people will go LOL in a minute with that memory... ;)
Xavier Malisse df. Tim Henman(9) 67(6) 63 75 46 64

Goonergal
07-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Wasnt it Malisse vs Henman???
Some people will go LOL in a minute with that memory... ;)

LOL!!!!!!!!!:p

Berlin_Calling
07-22-2002, 03:24 PM
Oh course when Lleyton beat Sampras for the title, that backhand passing shot was incredible. And when Roddick through a hissyfit in the fifth set of the quarters, it was pretty funny. Funnier when he lost though.................man im cruel.! :p

BelgianGirl
07-22-2002, 03:25 PM
That's an easy one to pick:

Xavier beating Henman ofcourse!!!! :bounce:

Goonergal
07-22-2002, 03:49 PM
Roddick to Dias:What are you.......are you an absolute Moron!! ;)
Newsflash Andy-The only moron around here is you ;)

Mazza
07-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Gosh! Theres loads!

Well firstly Hewitt beating Sampras to win his first slam! :) and also when Malisse beat Henboy! ;) But another one that sticks in my mind was accually in the juniors when Alex Bogdanovic progressed to the QF's! :D ;)

Goonergal
07-22-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ms Bogdanovic
Gosh! Theres loads!
But another one that sticks in my mind was accually in the juniors when Alex Bogdanovic progressed to the QF's! :D ;)

What a shock-lol!!:p

Gosh!

That was very Ginnywadesque Marie!
:eek: ;)

ys
07-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Roddick-Hewitt was an excellent match. Best of the tournament, if you ask me.

Sampras-Agassi was an overhyped match of two guys who can't return a serve at all on a surface that is supposed to be a surface of returners. Sampras-Rafter was of similar quality. Hype, hype, hype..

Kafelnikov-Kuerten, hehe..

Goonergal
07-22-2002, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by y_s
Kafelnikov-Kuerten, hehe..

I think the semi final was one to forget 4 Kafel.......:o

Static
07-22-2002, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Lleyton's_Chick

I think the semi final was one to forget 4 Kafel.......:o

Cilla don't ruin it :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :p

Goonergal
07-22-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Static

Cilla don't ruin it :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: :p

6-1,6-2,6-1 :p

Darkheart
07-24-2002, 02:23 AM
1. Roddick vs. Hewitt - Right from the first game, I had a feeling it would go 5 sets. Great crowd, great drama, some great points, and some signs of nervousness from both players in the fifth set. Too bad it had to end the way that it did.

2. Agassi vs. Sampras - One of the best matches I've seen between these two. Both played well on that day. Pete showed he was not passé. Andre played flawless except in the tie-breakers.

Notice both were night matches. I love them. They have a certain ambience and drama to them.

Goonergal
07-25-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Darkheart

Notice both were night matches. I love them. They have a certain ambience and drama to them.

Agreed-May it continue this year! :)

AtPGiRL
07-26-2002, 01:18 AM
Yah, you guys are right.. it was Malisse/Henman! lol

The 2 guys sitting next to me were cheering for Tim b/c they didn't know who Xa Xa was.. but by the fourth set, I had converted them to Malisse fans! lol!

They just wanted it to be over b/c we were waiting for another match to come up! :rolleyes: