Why did they give Lisnard a WC? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did they give Lisnard a WC?

SwissMister1
04-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Better choices :

Corretja - for old time's sake
Gasquet - much better young French hope
Monaco - I'm sure he would have a lot of fans there ;)

Or anyone, really...

Sjengster
04-05-2005, 08:00 PM
It would be quite funny if he was drawn to play fellow wildcard Ferrero in the first round and continued his excellent showings against the Spaniard.

Laure
04-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Personaly I would keep a wild card just before the week end and give it at a player who would go in semi final at casablanca or valencia and who is in the quallifying list because he couldn't participate at monte carlo and it would be damage. There are good player who are in quallies.

SwissMister1
04-05-2005, 09:44 PM
It would be quite funny if he was drawn to play fellow wildcard Ferrero in the first round and continued his excellent showings against the Spaniard.

A stellar record indeed...

2003 Wimbledon, Grass, R128
England Grass R128 Ferrero 6 2 6 1 6 3
2003 Australian Open, Hard, R64
Australia Hard R64 Ferrero 6 0 6 4 6 2
2002 Roland Garros, Clay, R128
France Clay R128 Ferrero 6 1 7 6 6 3

Although that tiebreak must have troubling for Juanqui.

smucav
04-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Personaly I would keep a wild card just before the week end and give it at a player who would go in semi final at casablanca or valencia and who is in the quallifying list because he couldn't participate at monte carlo and it would be damage. There are good player who are in quallies.There is such a thing as a special exempt, but it is only applied when tournaments of an equal level (AMS/AMS, ISG/ISG, IS/IS, etc.) are in consecutive weeks. Players who are still alive at a certain time on Friday earn a special exempt in the main draw of next tournament (if it is the same level) since they cannot arrive in time for the qualifying. (If the special exempts are unneeded, then alternates are just moved up into the main draw). For example, Thomas Johansson received a special exempt into the main draw of Cincinnati AMS last year since he won his QF in Montreal AMS on Friday & would be playing the SFs on Saturday (so he couldn't play the qualifying in Cincy). There are no special exempts for Monte-Carlo since there isn't an AMS tourny this week.

ae wowww
04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Why did they give Lisnard a WC?

To spite us. :sad:

richard gasquet
04-05-2005, 10:20 PM
A little bit surprised about this wild card but now I agree with thhis decision, lisnard was the best french player of the year(3rd round in australian open), he had some tough moments in his career, he will never have such an opportunity to play such a big tournament ,it doesnt the case of richard wich career is beginning,no worries about richard gasquet capacity to play such event in the future whereas its a great opportunity to jean rené to be rewarded of his nice results. :)

Laure
04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Thank you for these explanations, Smucav :worship:
and it's for these reason it would better if they keep a wild card for a player in this situation.

smucav
04-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Thank you for these explanations, Smucav :worship:
and it's for these reason it would better if they keep a wild card for a player in this situation.That wouldn't always work since the wild cards must be named by the time of the draw. The draws are often on Friday night & the quarterfinals might still be taking place if there are night matches (or long day matches).

Scotso
04-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Better choices :

Corretja - for old time's sake
Gasquet - much better young French hope
Monaco - I'm sure he would have a lot of fans there ;)

Or anyone, really...

No, those are not better choices. Lisnard got a WC because he has had decent results this year and is ranked higher than Gasquet.

Are you kidding about Corretja? Just because someone has had success in the past doesn't mean you should waste a wildcard on them. I like Corretja, but if he seriously wants to play he belongs in the qualifying of an event like this, if that.

Monaco is from Argentina. Unlike the United States, European events aren't as eager to overlook their own talented players.

SwissMister1
04-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Monaco is from Argentina. Unlike the United States, European events aren't as eager to overlook their own talented players.

But his name would appeal to the locals ;) And yeah, Corretja is pretty much a lost cause at this point, but I'll back him until the end.

I might add that I don't think victories over a qualifier and an injured Grosjean constitute a great run at the Aussie Open.

David Kenzie
04-06-2005, 04:22 PM
It is very surprising, Gasquet was a way better choice as he won two strait challengers or even Tsonga who has just won a challenger also.
Apparently its because Lisnard reached the 3rd round at the AO that he is beeing given a WC... What a waste.

Laure
04-06-2005, 04:33 PM
I think it isn't only due to reach the third round at the Australian Open that Lisnard chose. He passed all qualifying draws who he participated this year (16 matchs)