I feel sorry for Alex Corretja [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I feel sorry for Alex Corretja

iliketennis
04-05-2005, 12:41 PM
He just lost his opening round match 7-6(5) 7-6(8) to (F??) Luzzi. I don't know what's happened to his confidence lately... Once upon a time, he was a really cool :cool: player.

syd
04-05-2005, 12:46 PM
it' true it's sad for him, i used to appreciate him, he was a good player on claycourt .

ae wowww
04-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Surely it is just because he is getting older now? I don't think he expected to always be at such a high level, he just took that chance to carry on longer-all credit to him for that decision :yeah:

ae wowww
04-05-2005, 12:51 PM
Alex is now 30/31 (?) and has played just two (inc. Valencia) tournaments this year. The other he lost in the first round, too.

He had a career high singles ranking of 2 :eek: but is currently 140th :sad:.

BlackSilver
04-05-2005, 01:01 PM
It's sad, Corretja is one of my favorites and in the moment I want him to earn matches more than anyone else in the circuit, unhappyly many great champions pass through this in this stage of their careers

SwiSha
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
yeah poor alex he was up 5-0 in the first ... tough loss for him

Fergie
04-05-2005, 01:58 PM
Oh Alex :sad:

Bilbo
04-05-2005, 02:28 PM
cya alex

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Alex is now 30/31 (?) and has played just two (inc. Valencia) tournaments this year. The other he lost in the first round, too.

He had a career high singles ranking of 2 :eek: but is currently 140th :sad:.

This is false information.

In Viña del Mar, he lost first round to Nicolas Almagro
In Buenos Aires, he lost first round to Guillermo Cañas
In Costa Do Sauipe, he beat David Ferrer but then lost to Santiago Ventura

And in Napoli last week, he lost to Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo after having beaten Janko Tipsarevic in two comfortable sets.

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2005, 02:33 PM
And well done Federico :yeah:

Cervantes
04-05-2005, 03:32 PM
This is false information.

In Viña del Mar, he lost first round to Nicolas Almagro
In Buenos Aires, he lost first round to Guillermo Cañas
In Costa Do Sauipe, he beat David Ferrer but then lost to Santiago Ventura

And in Napoli last week, he lost to Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo after having beaten Janko Tipsarevic in two comfortable sets.

Wow, these are some excellent results for a former No.2 :eek:

Sjengster
04-05-2005, 03:33 PM
It's interesting that Miami semifinalist and man of the moment Frog Ferrer is Corretja's pigeon - isn't it 3-0 to the older Spaniard now, after wins in IW and Madrid last year? He seems to be the only player Corretja can beat with regularity... I started following tennis at exactly the same time as his last great run in a Slam, reaching a second RG final in 2001 where he got pulverised by Kuerten after the first two sets. I always thought he would have good results right up to the end of his career, he seemed so reliable; in early 02 he had a poor hardcourt season and poor showings on clay leading up to RG (beaten by the likes of Galimberti and Boutter in Rome and Hamburg), but the moment he arrived in Paris he recaptured his old form and made a great run to the semis, with that unforgettable match against Clement in the third round.

I thought the same thing would happen in 03, after a very bad start to the year, but when the good form didn't materialise on clay it seemed less and less likely he could turn it around. The final confirmation came at RG with that 13-game losing streak against White Wine in the first round; it's been downhill ever since.

WyveN
04-05-2005, 03:35 PM
His had a great career and was good enough to win RG but usually kept running into hot opponents at the end of the second week, those are the breaks.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:46 PM
Corretja has had a fine career and he made the most of his talents, he was good enough to win a Slam, but just couldn't do it when he had the chances. He won the TMC, but if you listen to ys it was because the others weren't motivated.

Retirement won't be too far away I think, he makes too many mistakes on the forehand and the serve has worsened over time.

khyber
04-05-2005, 04:00 PM
He just lost his opening round match 7-6(5) 7-6(8) to (F??) Luzzi. I don't know what's happened to his confidence lately... Once upon a time, he was a really cool :cool: player.This is the first score I looked for when I got up this morning. Its sad. :sad:

Neely
04-05-2005, 04:24 PM
i used to appreciate him, he was a good player on claycourt .
And I also appreciate that he was good enough to win a hardcourt TMS and the Hannover indoor Masters Cup. :yeah:

SwissMister1
04-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Although I'm sure it hurts to have not won RG when he came so close, I'm sure having a lovely wife and kids, and the near universal respect of fans and his peers (and a lot of prize money) isn't a bad consolation. I hope that he does come to Washington again this year though, before he retires.

Domino
04-06-2005, 12:09 AM
Let's not rag on Luzzi though, the guy is a young talent who has a very interesting stroke on his backhand ;)

alexito
04-06-2005, 12:51 AM
in the last 3 years, alex lost in first round in all tournament, is time for retire

revolution
04-06-2005, 01:12 AM
I should imagine he'll get a few more WCs.. in Barcelona he will anyway.. and I would be amazed if he didnt get a Roland Garros wildcard after all he's done there.
He can still climb the rankings IMO.. Corretja fans don't give up hope yet!

Pea
04-06-2005, 01:15 AM
Alex seems happy with his life. I don't think he expects to be near the top anymore, but he will get his due. I'm sure there will be a good tournament for him this year.

Mimi
04-06-2005, 05:14 AM
i feel sorry for him too, such a nice person, i wish he can win a slam before he retired :)

hi mum kingching, dad jorin is working hard and you spending hard on extravagetn clothes again right ;) :devil: :p
Alex seems happy with his life. I don't think he expects to be near the top anymore, but he will get his due. I'm sure there will be a good tournament for him this year.

Scotso
04-06-2005, 06:13 AM
And well done Federico :yeah:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You criticize players like Vicente but then cheer for Luzzi? :rolleyes:

Scotso
04-06-2005, 06:14 AM
If Alex is just having fun, then whatever. But if he's serious about extending his real career, he needs to recommit himself and drop down to challengers for a while.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Let's not rag on Luzzi though, the guy is a young talent who has a very interesting stroke on his backhand ;)

He doesn't have a bad hook either.

Scotso
04-06-2005, 06:36 AM
I will rag on Luzzi. He's a complete asshole, and he really should have been permanently banned from the tour.

CooCooCachoo
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You criticize players like Vicente but then cheer for Luzzi? :rolleyes:

What I said was 'Well done'. I don't consider that cheering. Really. Pay better attention.

I have never seen Luzzi play in real life, so I can say nothing about his personality, game style or attitude. All I can say is that he did a good job by beating Corretja here.

Please, you are intelligent enough to be able to interpret when someone is cheering for someone or not.

CooCooCachoo
04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
If Alex is just having fun, then whatever. But if he's serious about extending his real career, he needs to recommit himself and drop down to challengers for a while.

The guy played in Napoli last week. You might be thinking that that is indeed what he is doing :rolleyes:

jrm
04-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Too passive to be near top 100 nowadays ... but he remainds my all time favourite!

dylan24
04-06-2005, 01:02 PM
i don't feel sad for alex corretja
the sooner he retires the better