John McEnroe Autobiography [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

John McEnroe Autobiography

olliemyers
04-05-2005, 12:29 AM
anyone read it?
its quite good! gets my approval. :worship:

jole
04-05-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes. One rainy day I went to a local bookstore and read it. It was more or less everything I expected, but I'm glad I read it.

adeegee
04-05-2005, 12:40 AM
I thought it was really good. A lot of people probably won't like it though

Devotee
04-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Has anyone read Boris Becker's autobiography?

El Legenda
04-05-2005, 01:23 AM
I dont read. Is it on tape?:)

Auscon
04-05-2005, 03:14 AM
I really enjoyed it

also read oones for John Newcombe and Pat Cash which were both good

I've seen Beckers every now and then but havent really been interested in reading it as of yet

NYCtennisfan
04-05-2005, 06:09 AM
I dont read. Is it on tape?

Aren't you in college? Don't they MAKE you read? :)

Ditto what hrbatyfan said. I really liked some of the tidbits he had about some lockeroom inside info, rivalries and their personal nature....overall a good read at the bookstore! :)

ae wowww
04-05-2005, 07:07 AM
I read it in August 03 and thought it was an awesome book :yeah: Just everything about it, getting that kind of information that you could not normally find out. I also liked Brad Gilbert's - I've Got Your Back.

NATAS81
04-05-2005, 07:55 AM
http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/c/02/00/23/6a_7.JPG

Scotso
04-05-2005, 08:12 AM
I think I'll pick it up.

TheMightyFed
04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
I read both (Becker/Mc) in French, and the translation is important I think, as the Becker's book was sometimes word by word translated. Anyway, I think this book is not very well structured, topics are constanly changing without any reason, and Becker balances between auto-celebration, emphasizing too often the fact that he was a star in Germany by using the third person, and frankness on his several fisc and women problems. There are some interesting insights on the life on the tour: the difficulties he had to sleep because of the travelling, and the different injuries he had, led Becker to take all sort of pills he was addicted to, which left me a bit wondering sometimes...
The Mc book was more chronological, he talks quite a lot about other players of his area, which is great (esp. on Lendl), and here again we learn about the cocaine-driven tour of the 70's-80's, with Borg, Vilas and Gerulaitis initiating the young Mac... a lot of stuff on his relationships with women, even in his young days, which is not always interesting.
All in all, it seems that the end of a pro career corresponds often to the end of a love story. Go shopping Mirka, it's now or never !! ;)

adeegee
04-05-2005, 05:51 PM
I've got it by I haven't read it yet. You read it? Any good?

Angle Queen
04-05-2005, 06:11 PM
A more important question...has anyone read Tatum O'Neal's effort?

On a dark day this winter, I chanced upon her on Oprah (I musta been home sick that day. I never watch the O). She had some pretty harsh words for/about Johnny Mac. He's one of my all-time favs though...so maybe I'll pick up both to read on a rainy weekend this summer at the beach.

Thanks for the collective recommendations.

Sue Ellen
04-05-2005, 08:38 PM

I'm in the process of reading it at the moment. I'm impressed by Boris' honesty in the book but it's laid out pretty badly. It's confusing and scattered, going from one topic onto another then back to the first. It should be in chronological order, but it's not. That makes it quite difficult to read. Let's just say it's not impossible to put down!! I've also read McEnroe's autobiography, it was well written and extremely insightful. It could have been that bit more honest though!!

jole
04-05-2005, 08:51 PM
http://st.vse.cz/~XZELS01/John%20McEnroe.jpg

Allez.

tennis elbow
04-05-2005, 09:14 PM
Barnes&Nobles are running a special and you can pick up "You cannot be serious" for less than $5, I think... I got it but havent had the time to read it though

Raquel
04-05-2005, 09:20 PM
John McEnroe's autobiography was an interesting read but to be honest I was getting a bit tired of reading the endless excuses for matches he lost. He'd always give a reason why he lost then add something like "it would be easy for me to say I was tired but I genuinely was" just to make sure we knew he wasn't lying. If he wasn't tired he was cranky at being in Europe, or Tatum didn't answer the phone the night before or he was traumatised by the dangerous car ride about 4 days earlier or the match before ran too long or he was thinking about Bjorn never returning or the linespeople and crowd were annoying him, yadda yadda yadda..... It was endless!

He did give a lot of credit to Bjorn and to Lendl though even though he admitted not liking the guy at all. But as much as I enjoy his commentaries, I can see how he annoyed people and again, he admitted it - he acted like a spoilt brat at times. His honesty about his awful guitar playing was funny though

Devotee
04-05-2005, 09:20 PM
I've got it by I haven't read it yet. You read it? Any good?

No, I haven't read Becker's book yet. I just heard about its contents when it first came out in German. I was shocked to find out that Boris was going through all this torment when most of the world thought he was in control of his life, both personal & professional.
IMO if Becker had not won Wimbledon so early in his career, his life & career would have gone better. He had too much pressure on him & was constantly in the spotlight and worshiped in Germany.