LOL at Roger having more than twice as many points ... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

LOL at Roger having more than twice as many points ...

KarstenBraasch#1
04-04-2005, 10:46 PM
... as Marat in the Race. :o

Dirk
04-04-2005, 10:47 PM
in the entry rankings he has more than 2000 points over hewitt and 3000 over andy.

Sjengster
04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
That Race statistic says as much about Safin as it does about Federer. Look for the gap to close during the clay season, widen during the grass season, close again during the hardcourt season, widen again further on in the hardcourt season, then finally close during the indoor season.

adeegee
04-04-2005, 10:52 PM
Irakli Labadze's on the comeback trail and will soon be hot on the heels of Roger :p

Dirk
04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Sjengster call me arrogant but I think the only bad clay event Roger will have is Carlo given as I don't see him having time to prepare for it. RG might be another bad event but I am hopeful about a good result there this year. So I think he could widen his lead over Safin more.

PaulieM
04-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Irakli Labadze's on the comeback trail and will soon be hot on the heels of Roger :p
as much as i love roger i fear this is true. yay irakli!

ys
04-04-2005, 11:42 PM
... as Marat in the Race. :o

I am sure he would happily agree to switch this year points and titles with Marat at this point..

robinhood
04-04-2005, 11:44 PM
Sjengster call me arrogant but I think the only bad clay event Roger will have is Carlo given as I don't see him having time to prepare for it. RG might be another bad event but I am hopeful about a good result there this year. So I think he could widen his lead over Safin more.

Yes. Last year, Fed didn't even play in Monte Carlo due to fatigue and injury, so should he participate this year, he only stands to gain points regardless of the result. He lost in the second round (I think) in Rome and in the third round in FO last year, so hopefully he'll be able to better those results this year.

As for Fed not having enough time to prepare for Monte Carlo, I absolutely agree with you, Dirk, that he perhaps won't go deep into the tournament, but remember, last year literally a day or two after Wimbledon, he went to play in Gstaad on clay and won it. True that he will be facing players of much much higher caliber, but this time he actually has several days to rest. It will be so interesting to see what happens there.

robinhood
04-04-2005, 11:50 PM
I am sure he would happily agree to switch this year points and titles with Marat at this point..

Hmmmm.... I disagree with that. I mean, not after IW and Miami. Of course GS is huge, but it's not everything. It's not as if Federer has never won the AO, either. And look how awful Marat has been performing lately! What's wrong with him? He definitely needs to turn it around soon.

ys
04-04-2005, 11:54 PM
Hmmmm.... I disagree with that. I mean, not after IW and Miami. Of course GS is huge, but it's not everything. It's not as if Federer has never won the AO, either. And look how awful Marat has been performing lately! What's wrong with him? He definitely needs to turn it around soon.

If Safin wins just 4 tournaments this year and loses early in every single other tournament, but those 4 will be all Slams, he'll be considered bigger than Sampras. 3 years after only 4 names remain in memory of most of tennis fans - 4 GS champs. All the rest of tournaments is just money. Not much of a glory. No need to deny the obvious.

NYCtennisfan
04-05-2005, 12:35 AM

Agreed. It is a different story if Marat wins all four Grand Slams though. I don't believe that Roger would necessarily be happy with another AO title and then going 2-3 afterwards (not counting 2 not-so-impressive wins in DC).

lucashg
04-05-2005, 01:44 AM
If Safin wins just 4 tournaments this year and loses early in every single other tournament, but those 4 will be all Slams, he'll be considered bigger than Sampras. 3 years after only 4 names remain in memory of most of tennis fans - 4 GS champs. All the rest of tournaments is just money. Not much of a glory. No need to deny the obvious.

But that hopefully won't happen. He has a good shot in Roland Garros, but I'd say Federer could beat him there and his mind says that he'll never do well at Wimbledon, so let's hope he listens to his own thoughts! And the US Open, well... it depends. He was a champ once but also lost in the first round. And it's not a guarantee that Safin is gonna beat Federer everytime they meet, which unfortunately some people seem to have forgotten about their H2H and how close that win in AO was.

Whatever, back to the thread, I agree with Sjengster about how well Safin will do to measure up with Federer's results. He doesn't have much to defend until the indoor season, but he has to wake up and start to play at his top-level again.

ys
04-05-2005, 02:11 AM
But that hopefully won't happen.

Why not :devil:?

He has a good shot in Roland Garros, but I'd say Federer could beat him there

Or he could get beaten by him either. It could be a funny RG. Last year we ended with Henman in semis and even being in a good position to beat Coria at some point. It is not a concidence. With Spanish clay old guard ( Carlos, Alex, Albert ) gradually fading the claycourt depth of the Tour really decreased. It is not out of question now to get to RG semis without having to play a serious claycourter. Only 3 or 4 out of Top 16 players have clay as their best surface.

and his mind says that he'll never do well at Wimbledon

Sampras's mind was telling him the same for like first 5 years of his career. Marat used to be in W quarters and there he pushed eventual champ quite a bit.

Scotso
04-05-2005, 04:22 AM
:yawn:

makro120
04-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Sjengster is simply wrong, there are no signs teh gap between Safin and Federer will close in the clay season. Safin played 6 clay tournaments last season and didn't win any, he didn't beat any of the big clay players but only lost against Coria, NAlbandian, Chela, MAssu and other clay players. His best result was a final in Estoril.

Federer participated in 4 clay tournaments and won 2. He got only beaten by Guga and Costa (2 former RG winners unlike the ones who beat Safin) and beat great clay players like Gaudio, Moya and Coria.

Safin has never won a clay title since 2000, when he won Barcelona and Mallorca and if you look at his statistics you will see taht he constantly looses against the big clay players like Ferrero, Moya, Guga, Coria and so on...

Becarina
04-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Safin will win, bet on it ;)

WF4EVER
04-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Why would Roger want to trade results and titles this year with Marat? As someone said above, it's not as if he doesn't have an AO title already and Sf this year was nothing to be ashamed about either.

But Marat's performance outside of the AO has been pitiful. I wouldn't even speculate about if he wont only 4 titles this year and they were the Slams because that is merely speculation and not likely to happen anyway.

Based on what has been achieved this year, Federer, even without the AO, has way surpassed everyone else on tour this year and that includes Marat as well. Of course if you're satisfied to have one good result compared to having consistent results as well as the titles Roger has amassed so far, he has nothing to be envious of Marat for.

Roger is the No. 1 player in the world and he undisputedly has the results this year to maintain and substantiate that. In terms of his actually execution of his game I think it has fallen off somewhat from last year but despite that he has still been dominant in his results. If the year ended today there's no way I could consider Marat winning Oz to be more significant than what Roger has managed to do during the same period.

Slams are a funny thing. SOmetimes the dominant player at the time may be favoured to win but on the other hand, the luckiest player wins. I don't consider Marat's win luck, even though his play before the AO was still horrible. Marat had always done very well at Oz and by golly he deserved to win, even from since the previous year (although thats not really fair, IMO). He has always played some greta matches here and beaten some damn good contenders so winning the AO was icing on his cake of consistently good matches here. But one win, Slam or not and a bunch of dismal results all around it can not surpass the titles Roger has won, the record he has maintained and his dominance against his peers.

Art&Soul
04-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Safin will win, bet on it ;)
Yeah bet on it and you'll have no penny left :D

Dirk
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
True Robinhood but Roger wasn't drained from playing on the grass. This time around I think he is so I will be shocked if he makes the Carlo qrts.

swap348
04-05-2005, 02:31 PM

Yes i agree because at the beginning of the year i felt like if at all roger is going to complete a grandslam this should be the year.Now with the increasing depth of men's tennis i don't see it happen in the coming years.Yes i think roger will be very happy to trade those titles which he can win any year to that AO title so that he could give a shot at completing GS.

WyveN
04-05-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, Federer would swap all these titles for AO but on the other hand its been a while since the AO ended and Federer will be going into the clay season with a lot more confidence then Marat.

WyveN
04-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes i think roger will be very happy to trade those titles which he can win any year to that AO title so that he could give a shot at completing GS.

The grand slam hype is just media overreaction, the chances of Roger ever doing it is less then 5%.

RonE
04-05-2005, 02:45 PM
The grand slam hype is just media overreaction, the chances of Roger ever doing it is less then 5%.

And even that is being generous- let's face it, in today's tennis no one will ever win all 4 grand slams in one single calendar year- considering the depth in the game, the specialization on different surfaces and the proximity of RG and Wimbledon- it's just not going to happen.

RogiFan88
04-05-2005, 04:54 PM

and what are everyone else's chances: Marat, Pandy, Lleyt, AA, Guille et al.?

Let's face it, nobody will ever win the true Grand Slam [all in one calendar year] altho it will be interesting to see if Marat has a chance this year since he's the ONLY contender.

I think Rogi feels he s have defended the AO and altho he has twice as many pts as Marat, look how many matches he's had to play and win to achieve them while Marat has played far less and already assured himself of a spot in Shanghai [not to say that Rogi won't make Shanghai -- it depends on how well the other top guys do by the end of the season and that's a long way off].

Interestingly, it's guys like Rafa, Gaston and PPim who've each won 2 titles so far and the likes of Fena and Carlos with a title... OK, Pandy and Lleyt have their title also but nothing for Guille, AA, Tim or Nalby [altho he's had personal issues to deal w].

robinhood
04-05-2005, 09:13 PM
True Robinhood but Roger wasn't drained from playing on the grass. This time around I think he is so I will be shocked if he makes the Carlo qrts.

Maybe he did have easier time playing on grass, but you can't possibly say that Fed was not mentally and physically drained after being under the stress of defending the Wimbledon title and facing all the media hooplah that came with it for two weeks. Also as you would remember, in Gstaad he had to play TWO matches that went 3 sets on Saturday because of the rain delays AND a 5-setter on Sunday for the final, which he won in four sets. So apparently he is capable of adjusting his game to different surfaces overnight (literally) and dig real deep.

But I agree, Dirk, that Fed will have done well in Monte Carlo if he can reach the quarters. The calibre of players he will be facing is nothing to compare. Also if he is more tired now than he was after Wimby 04, then he needs some rest. Besides, he needs to lose early in some tournaments so next year he can look forward to gaining some points somewhere!

Dirk
04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
Maybe he did have easier time playing on grass, but you can't possibly say that Fed was not mentally and physically drained after being under the stress of defending the Wimbledon title and facing all the media hooplah that came with it for two weeks. Also as you would remember, in Gstaad he had to play TWO matches that went 3 sets on Saturday because of the rain delays AND a 5-setter on Sunday for the final, which he won in four sets. So apparently he is capable of adjusting his game to different surfaces overnight (literally) and dig real deep.

But I agree, Dirk, that Fed will have done well in Monte Carlo if he can reach the quarters. The calibre of players he will be facing is nothing to compare. Also if he is more tired now than he was after Wimby 04, then he needs some rest. Besides, he needs to lose early in some tournaments so next year he can look forward to gaining some points somewhere!

Yeah he does need to lose early somewhere. I do think he will do better in Rome and Hamburg and Rg which will be after his 2 weeks off and training with Roche.

WyveN
04-06-2005, 03:27 AM
[not to say that Rogi won't make Shanghai -- it depends on how well the other top guys do by the end of the season and that's a long way off].

Actually after his Nasdaq victory Roger would almost certainly make Shanghai even if he didnt play again between now and then.

joseluismb
04-06-2005, 04:49 AM
Take out Marat's 200 points from the Aussie Open...he's only got 15 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

robinhood
04-06-2005, 05:09 AM
Actually after his Nasdaq victory Roger would almost certainly make Shanghai even if he didnt play again between now and then.

How is that?

NATAS81
04-06-2005, 05:45 AM
Take out Marat's 200 points from the Aussie Open...he's only got 15 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
The equivalent of a backmarker in the betting world. :yeah:

Doesn't get himself up for any match except the slams. This kind of effort/mental see-saw/whatever you want to call it should be unacceptable at the ATP level for a player equipped with his talent.

drf716
04-06-2005, 06:41 AM
so what? i'm still as narrow minded as i'll always be when it comes to marat!

robinhood
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM

Doesn't get himself up for any match except the slams. This kind of effort/mental see-saw/whatever you want to call it should be unacceptable at the ATP level for a player equipped with his talent.

Somebody, please deliver this message to Safin.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-06-2005, 09:26 AM

Doesn't get himself up for any match except the slams. This kind of effort/mental see-saw/whatever you want to call it should be unacceptable at the ATP level for a player equipped with his talent.Totally agree. He should be banned from playing.

WF4EVER
04-06-2005, 01:54 PM
Apparently he only gears himself up for Oz. He hasn't done well anywhere else recently. We all know and accept that he's quite a capable clay court player, on grass he sucks big time (for toal lackof effort and commitment, IMO) and he has not been showing any of what won him the 2k USO either, so it seems he leaves all his best tennis to perform well at Oz.

olliemyers
04-06-2005, 01:58 PM
master!! :D