Funny comment by Wertheim on Grosjean [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Funny comment by Wertheim on Grosjean

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 06:42 AM
Could it be that Sebastian Grosjean is fading? If you look at his latest results it's quite worrying. What's your take? Did his coaching change hurt him? And on to another Frenchie, Paul-Henri Mathieu. Will he finally live up to his early expectations?
-- Kaja Sajovic, Ljubljana, Slovenia

Now that the statute of limitations has lapsed, I confess that a few years ago -- and I hope I'm not coming across as the Village Scold here -- I saw Grosjean blow through a pack of smokes in the lobby of a Marriott in Mason, Ohio. I'm no Gil Reyes, but that ain't exactly the training regimen of a tennis player with grand ambitions. :haha: :haha: I always enjoyed watching Grosjean play. Lots of speed, lots of funky shotmaking, an awfully tough player on every surface. Plus he was one of the few players who hit that one-legged backhand effectively and not just for show points. But, yeah, you have to think his best years are behind him.

As you note, the future smells sweet for French tennis. Mathieu seems to be shaking the doldrums of that disastrous Davis Cup and playing terrific tennis so far this year. Gael Monfils is a future top-10 player who's won a few matches in Miami. Mean Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has game too. And we still haven't written about the talented-but-temperamental Richard Gasquet. (Random aside: Tempermental? Or "temperamental," with five syllables? Can we get a ruling from the judges?) [Ed. note: Temperamental.]

robinhood
04-04-2005, 06:49 AM
No one should smoke! But then he's French, so what choice has he got?

ae wowww
04-04-2005, 07:20 AM
What a waste, smoking :rolleyes:!

CooCooCachoo
04-04-2005, 09:26 AM
Karsten Braasch smokes too and he's still a good doubles player :p

ae wowww
04-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Karsten Braasch smokes too and he's still a good doubles player :p

:lol: Karsten looks so unhealthy!! He can play dubs because he doesn't have to move too much :D!

jmp
04-04-2005, 10:32 AM
I always ;) at the tsk tsks about smoking here and in society in general.

It was nice of PC/talkin'-out-of-school Jon to 'out' Seb as a past smoker. But, I don't think that long ago incident has a direct correlation to Seb's current form.

I believe it's possible for Seb to smoke and kick butt on the court. Has he been out of breath in his recent losses or out played?

CooCooCachoo
04-04-2005, 11:06 AM
:lol: Karsten looks so unhealthy!! He can play dubs because he doesn't have to move too much :D!

He is unhealthy. Quite the character ;)

ae wowww
04-04-2005, 11:20 AM
I think Seb's mum must have smoked when she was pregnant with him.

5"9 :eek:

No but I agree, I'm sure it is unrelated to Seb's recent poor form, there are bound to be more reasons for it.. and it is such a shame too, I saw him play at Queens, and whenever I have seen him play I have been delighted :D What a player--esp that inside out forehand!!

tennischick
04-04-2005, 01:52 PM
...As you note, the future smells sweet for French tennis. Mathieu seems to be shaking the doldrums of that disastrous Davis Cup and playing terrific tennis so far this year. Gael Monfils is a future top-10 player who's won a few matches in Miami. Mean Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has game too. And we still haven't written about the talented-but-temperamental Richard Gasquet. (Random aside: Tempermental? Or "temperamental," with five syllables? Can we get a ruling from the judges?) [Ed. note: Temperamental.]
i agree about Mathieu and Monfils. i truly expected Mathieu to give Agassi a harder time in Miami. and as for Monfils :hearts: this boy's the future.

Socket
04-04-2005, 02:15 PM
My brother and his wife used to own and run a restaurant in Argentierres, France (close to Chamonix-Mt. Blanc). Several years ago, the French Davis Cup team was using some training facilities nearby, and Guy Forget and Henri Leconte would visit the restaurant a lot. My brother told me that they both smoked heavily throughout their meals. This was when they were active players, not coaching or anything like that.

TheMightyFed
04-04-2005, 02:28 PM
I've heard Marat smokes as well.
In the past, the great Pancho Gonzalez used to smoke as well, and Yannick Noah, but not only tobacco... :smoke:

Marine
04-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Guy Forget doesn't smoke.

PaulieM
04-04-2005, 04:32 PM
it's probably not the cause of his horrible form lately but i for one have never understood why anybody let alone an athlete would smoke. smoking doesn't exactly do wonders for your endurance and many other things that are important for athletes.

Socket
04-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Guy Forget doesn't smoke.
My brother has a photo of himself with Forget and Leconte in his old restaurant, and both Forget and Leconte have cigarettes in their hands. Guy was probably just a social smoker.

*julie*
04-04-2005, 04:54 PM
Pioline smokes too. I saw it on a picture.

Marine
04-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Most of the players smoke occasionnaly.
But it doesn't excuse them, I think it's a shame for an athlete. It's so contrary to the image we'd like to have of a sportman.

Socket
04-04-2005, 05:04 PM
If somebody smokes in private, and is willing to suffer whatever consequences to his/her athletic career might occur, so be it. But Karsten smoking on changeovers, right in front of a young ball kid, was over the top.

Chris Evert and Carling Basset-Seguso are the only female tennis players I can think of who were known to have smoked, but I'll bet there are others. Mary Carillo sounds like a smoker, but I don't know if she does/did.

Scotso
04-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Smoking is disgusting.

NATAS81
04-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Smoking is disgusting.
Unless you're hitting smoking groundstrokes.

Then the would "Be just sick." - Patrick McEnroe

Turkeyballs Paco
04-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Safin recently was asked that in an interview and he said he does not smoke.

Jon Wortheim's a dick for even bringing it up. I'm sure if players felt it was cutting down on their endurance they wouldn't do it. Otherwise, they are probably just social smokers or just once in a while use it as a crutch when they are going through something.

smucav
04-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I've heard Marat smokes as well.Marat Safin: Losing It (http://tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=5C6E696A016E4CCEA387FFC08A1E1E2C&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=F6375AC7D627488D81A215486796D9EE) (From the August 2004 issue of TENNIS Magazine)Darkness had long since settled over the desert. Midnight was approaching. Yet there was Marat Safin talking in the hotel bar, cigarette in hand, with the next day’s competition in the Pacific Life Open just hours away.

Eclectic Goddess
04-04-2005, 08:00 PM
I've seen Canas smoking more than once.

Never Sebastien or Marat though. How disappointing.

maratski
04-04-2005, 08:40 PM
Marat's a social smoker like many other players. Who cares whether they smoke or not. Yes it doesn't correspond to the image of an athlete, but it's their lives...

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 10:19 PM
Marat Safin: Losing It (http://tennis.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=5C6E696A016E4CCEA387FFC08A1E1E2C&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=F6375AC7D627488D81A215486796D9EE) (From the August 2004 issue of TENNIS Magazine)
Maybe he doesn't inhale.

Damita
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
No one should smoke! But then he's French, so what choice has he got?
duh! we don't all smoke you know, it's not like it's been made compulsory by the law :p ;)

anyway, i really don't think it has anything to do with Seb's recent form... or should i say lack of form :o

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 10:21 PM
Chris Evert and Carling Basset-Seguso are the only female tennis players I can think of who were known to have smoked, but I'll bet there are others. Mary Carillo sounds like a smoker, but I don't know if she does/did.
Hingis.

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 10:23 PM
it's probably not the cause of his horrible form lately but i for one have never understood why anybody let alone an athlete would smoke. smoking doesn't exactly do wonders for your endurance and many other things that are important for athletes.
Some pro golfers smoke as they walk from one hole to the next.

jmp
04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
TF, is this a tennis thread or a 'Just Say No' PSA? ;) :rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 10:58 PM
JMP, you smoker :p

jmp
04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
I think Mr. I'll-Tell-You-Irrelevant-Tidbits-About-Anybody Wertheim saw me in a hotel lobby in Pergatory, Iowa, in 1954. Ask him. :p

star
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Marat's a social smoker like many other players. Who cares whether they smoke or not. Yes it doesn't correspond to the image of an athlete, but it's their lives...

I'm sure their competitors fully support their smoking. :lol:

Social smoker. I hear that phrase a lot. I suppose there are some around, but with a substance as addictive as nicotine, it's easy to kid yourself that you are a social smoker. I mean, a lot of drunks describe themselves as social drinkers too. ;)

CooCooCachoo
04-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Pioline smokes too. I saw it on a picture.

It's kind of hard to miss Pioline smoking. He does it in the stands :p

ae wowww
04-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I've seen Mahut smoking, I think the French do. Didn't Rosie Casals have a sponsorship from Malboro or something :lol:?

Turkeyballs Paco
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
I'm sure their competitors fully support their smoking. :lol:

Social smoker. I hear that phrase a lot. I suppose there are some around, but with a substance as addictive as nicotine, it's easy to kid yourself that you are a social smoker.

True, at least, for me. I started as a social smoker and can't stop socializing, even when I'm by myself. It's all in my head, I can stop any time! :smoke: