Tres confused!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tres confused!!

Sue Ellen
04-03-2005, 09:13 PM
I just don't understand why Roger Federer HAS fans. I understand why we admire him, he really is awesome! But why follow someone who ALWAYS wins, someone unbeatable like Rog? There's no excitement in that! Surely real fans must be there for the ups and the downs. Well with Fed it's all ups, where is the fun? Yeah, he is personable to his fans, but hey that's not enough!! Being a Roger fan is playing the safe option. Roger fans need to get out more!!!

PaulieM
04-03-2005, 09:15 PM
i think he has fans because people admire his game, his personality and everything that he does for the sport. no athlete has all highs, roger too has had some lows. everyone likes different players for different reasons. fed fans don't just like him because he wins.

adelaide
04-03-2005, 09:16 PM
Well I can't see myself being obsessed with someone who doesn't need my good luck wishes etc etc, but then again he's amazing, and he's a great fighter, that sounds like good enough reason to be a fan.

After all, I guess it's easier to be a fan of someone who rarely breaks your heart..:hug:

:sad: Rafaelllllllllll

onewoman74
04-03-2005, 09:19 PM
why did michael jordan have fans if he led the bulls to multiple titles? that question doesn't make any sense...maybe i'm exhausted by my fav player winning the title...who knows :rolleyes:

So your saying that Fed should NOT have fans because he wins a lot? Or any dominate player or team should NOT have fans? Right or wrong :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
04-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Well I can't see myself being obsessed with someone who doesn't need my good luck wishes etc etc, but then again he's amazing, and he's a great fighter, that sounds like good enough reason to be a fan.

After all, I guess it's easier to be a fan of someone who rarely breaks your heart..:hug:

:sad: Rafaelllllllllll

So true, I've been a Fed fan for a long time, and believe me there was a time when I though Roger was good but just couldnt get through. I guess thats why I am a fan, I thought for sure the year that he beat Sampras in Wimbledon he was going to win it only to loose the next match.

Clara Bow
04-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I'm a fan of Roger because he is a brilliant player and a class act. Those are good reasons for me.

Sue Ellen
04-03-2005, 09:23 PM
Well whatever! I so don't agree! But Rafa is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome and man he is cool! Gotta love his fashion sense!! Snaps for creativity dude (yes I know Feli also wears this outfit).

Sjengster
04-03-2005, 09:26 PM
That's a very narrow-minded opinion. Were all the Federer bandwagoners on here following him during the summer of 2002, when he was losing first round at every big event and looking nothing like the dominating no. 1 player he is now? Honestly, my expectations for him back then were nothing like what he eventually produced, and after a couple of years of chokes and underperforming at major events this is the reward. I still remember his loss here to Costa two years ago, a typical example of the kind of opportunity Federer used to blow back then. And I was reminded of the Rome final from 2003 when he was down two sets to love today. The match that took place today, and the comeback from Federer, showed precisely why a) it's stupid to anoint someone the winner before the match is played and b) that there is value in supporting Federer, because there are new challenges and there is new ground to be conquered.

Who won the first Slam of the year again? And who is the favourite going into RG? In neither case is it Federer. I think this victory today was a useful stepping stone towards improvement on clay, but it would be ridiculous to suggest that he's going to continue this dominance during the clay season. The victories will have to be earned, and Federer has now had at least half a dozen matches outside the Safin loss in Australia that he has earned the hard way.

Irish
04-03-2005, 09:27 PM
I have liked Roger for several years and before he was winning so much. I had hoped he would get better in the years to come and he has. Never do take it for granted though. :eek*

PaulieM
04-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Well whatever! I so don't agree!
nobody said you had to. but what exactly was the point of your question? it seems you had already come to the conclusion that federer is so well liked simply because he wins. correct me if i'm wrong please. :)

NYCtennisfan
04-03-2005, 09:38 PM
I'm confused by such a strange question. Haven't ALL the greats in whatever sport had the most fans?

MissMoJo
04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
I admire his game, his attitude, his personality on and off court. His winning most of the time is just a bonus, and as a matter of fact i became a non fan of a player i used to like after he won a slam. So winning has nothing to do with whom i choose to support, when my favorites lose, i feel for them (like Rogi did at the AO) and when they win i'm happy for them(like Marat did, and have supported him through his many losses). To each his own, and your opinion that it's pointless being a fan of Roger's because he wins alot is, as you would say, 'tres ludicrous.'

MariaV
04-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Well, I guess not everyone is into thrill of losing: ;)

maratski
04-03-2005, 09:46 PM
I just don't understand why Roger Federer HAS fans. I understand why we admire him, he really is awesome! But why follow someone who ALWAYS wins, someone unbeatable like Rog? There's no excitement in that! Surely real fans must be there for the ups and the downs. Well with Fed it's all ups, where is the fun? Yeah, he is personable to his fans, but hey that's not enough!! Being a Roger fan is playing the safe option. Roger fans need to get out more!!!

So you say Roger fans need to go out more? I say you need to spend more time at home and use the search tool of this board. Maybe you'll actually be able to find out that he did have fans before winning slams. :)

And I'm not even a diehard fan ;)

Sjengster
04-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I can confidently say that I've never become a fan of a player because they're winning everything in sight. I was a Gaudio fan for two painful years before the RG triumph last year. Good Lord, look at my username.

Domino
04-03-2005, 09:48 PM
I liked him when I watched him win the wimbledon juniors. I said to myself, "I hope this guy makes it into the top 100 in his career."
...Yeah, well, it was uphill from there.

Then I got the shock of my life to see his losing finalist last year in Indian Wells, Labadze.

jmp
04-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Sue Ellen, your posts are very provocative. Are you related to TF? ;)

There are Roger fans who have followed and cheered him for years before he went on this tear. Now, when I watch Roger I know I'm watching the undisputed #1 player in the world whether he wins or loses. I also know that Roger is beatable, he enjoys a good fight, he doesn't have an entourage, he had a spectacular '04 without a coach, he's not managed by an agency, his game is 'like butter', his fashion is unique and stylish in clothes and hair, he earns and gives respect, he has a sophisticated charm and a sharp wit, he gives back to the game and society, and so on. I can watch him all day, every day. He has truly earned and deserves the spotlight. So sublime is Roger. :worship:

Oh, and GO MARAT! :D :D

tennischick
04-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Miami comeback win ranks among best, says Federer

By Eleanor Preston

MIAMI, April 3 (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer said his comeback victory over Rafael Nadal in the Nasdaq-100 Open was one of the highlights of his career.
Federer came from two sets and a break down to beat the Spanish teenager 2-6 6-7 7-6 6-3 6-1 to earn his sixth Masters Series title. He has now gone unbeaten in 18 finals in a row.
As well as his comeback against Nadal, Federer beat Briton Tim Henman in the quarter-finals and American Andre Agassi in the semi-finals.
"I'm very happy and extremely proud, you know, to beat all these guys back to back, because they're some of the most dangerous players out there right now," he said.
"That I could actually beat Henman and Agassi the way I did, playing really great, and coming back from two sets to love, this is one of the tournaments I'll remember probably most throughout my career."
Federer had previously only overturned a two-set deficit twice in his career.
"I'm really happy that I came back because I've hardly ever done it. This is a big moment in my career," he said.
"Especially in the finals against a player of this calibre, this is not the normal thing I'm doing usually."
The Swiss, who consolidated his position at the top of the world rankings, was full of praise for his 18-year-old opponent, the youngest ever finalist in Miami.
"I knew the danger of Nadal. I wasn't surprised because I know how good a player he is. He's an outstanding athlete and his forehand is huge," said Federer.
"This will give him an unbelievable experience, so he'll draw definitely something positive out of this match today."

the guardian

buddyholly
04-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Why does nobody realize that Sue Ellen is just yanking your chains? She must be laughing her ass off at the responses.