Is Nadal the new Rios with a better attitude? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Nadal the new Rios with a better attitude?

yonexforever
04-03-2005, 07:28 PM
They seem to play the same type of game.......

TheHawk
04-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Simply because Nadal is a lefty? There was only one Rios.

star
04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
ah... Nadal and Rios.

So long as Nadal doesn't have the moody, self destructive streak.

In_Disguise
04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
nah, Rios was more of an artist from the back, and his strokes are as flat as a pancake! :)

erik-the-red
04-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Rios had the ups.

Hewitt_Rules
04-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Nadal doesn't have half of Rios' talent.

Sjengster
04-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Actually, I would say Nadal has a good two-thirds of Rios' talent, and at least twice as much heart and determination. But it's fair to say that even with a Rios-like serve, he would probably have held onto that break in the third set.

TennisLurker
04-03-2005, 09:07 PM
He doesnt play like Rios

Jenrios
04-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Am stunned at this comparison! No way is Nadal like Rios - except he's a lefty. As has been said here, Rios was far more talented and a true artist. I like Nadal, but he's no-where near the class of Rios. Their styles are different. Nadal plays a retrieving game for a start. Ridiculous comparison.

DanEd
04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Rios is more talented, better shotmaker, can take the ball earlier than Nadal.

Fergie
04-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Nadal doesn't have half of Rios' talent.
Well said :yeah:

Flibbertigibbet
04-04-2005, 12:01 AM
In the end, it doesn't matter if Rios was more talented than Federer, Laver, and Sampras combined, he left without Grand Slams because (I've heard; never seen him play, though, I wish I had) of a lack of determination and competitive fire, unlike Nadal. I'm sure both are pretty good players to have reached the points they have, anyway!

I haven't seen Borg play, of course, but does anybody who has think Nadal might have a similar - not necessarily identical - game? Borg played great on grass and clay; Nadal, of course, is expected to do well at the French, but he has said that he wants Wimbledon, too, which I found a bit odd.

ys
04-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Rios? Give me a break.. He is nothing like Rios. Nadal is just a claycourter, a retriever, permanently residing 10 feet behind the baseline who mastered feeding a topspin junk and getting everything back. Topspin version of Hewitt. Rios was an artist. Rios was taking the ball extremely early, that takes a lot of talent.

RogiFan88
04-04-2005, 01:05 AM
no

for-sure
04-04-2005, 01:47 AM
looks like the Fed fans are feeling threatened ;).

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 02:37 AM
looks like the Fed fans are feeling threatened ;).
Sure does. Which is stupid. But whatever.

I want a cookie for avoiding the board all afternoon :angel:

Anyways, Nadal plays nothing like Rios. They both have dark complexions, longish hair, and play left. Beyond that, I don't see much basis for comparison.

alfonsojose
04-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Rios? Give me a break.. He is nothing like Rios. Nadal is just a claycourter, a retriever, permanently residing 10 feet behind the baseline who mastered feeding a topspin junk and getting everything back. Topspin version of Hewitt. Rios was an artist. Rios was taking the ball extremely early, that takes a lot of talent.
Lefty-topspin Hewitt. That's it :yeah: but he's nowhere close to Marcelo

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 03:18 AM
They are both left handed and speak Spanish that is about the most they have in common.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Ah, I forgot about the language commonality. That's 4 things they ahve in common! TWINS.

Lisbeth
04-04-2005, 04:37 AM
Well he certainly has a better attitude. Nadal has a great attitude ;)

joseluismb
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
This is senseless.... like saying Roger is the new Pete just because they both dominated tennis in their respective years, have a one-handed backhand, like the net, and fire many aces...

Cmon....

liptea
04-04-2005, 05:02 AM
Nadal is just a claycourter, a retriever, permanently residing 10 feet behind the baseline who mastered feeding a topspin junk and getting everything back.

:eek: That was a Harsh Post. I would hardly call Rafael a claycourter.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 05:03 AM

You shouldn't respond to the rubbish.

liptea
04-04-2005, 05:08 AM
You shouldn't respond to the rubbish.

I try not to. But no one disses my Spaniards with such trash.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 05:12 AM
I try not to. But no one disses my Spaniards with such trash.

ys hates lefties and people who play well on clay. He is being true to form and is a troll.

ys
04-04-2005, 06:21 AM

Seriously? He is. When he reaches GS final or at least semis on surface other than clay then we talk.

People make all kind of arguments about players not being claycourters, like Guga or Alex.. I say - Slams are an utlimate thing in tennis, not Masters, not YEC.. Slams.. That's the only moment when you can not question anyone's motivation. You can say that Guga won Masters because Sampras and Agassi lacked motivation, which was the case. You can say that Carlos played Alex in the YEC finals because Sampras didn't care at that point which was the case. But the idea that someone might not care at Slam quarters is silly.. Alex and Guga never made semis of non-clay Slams = claycourters.

Of course, it is too early to talk about Nadal in that sense since he has not done anything in any Slams yet.

ys
04-04-2005, 06:29 AM
ys hates lefties

Wrong, I sympathise with them. I just do not believe in them.

and people who play well on clay.

Wrong. I like Marat. I like Roger. I like Andre. I do not mind Carlos.

He is being true to form and is a troll.

GWH is true to his form and always put labels on others.

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 07:25 AM
ys hates lefties and people who play well on clay. He is being true to form and is a troll.
YS may be harsh, but he certainly is not a troll. He's actually one of the original posters, having abandoned us for awhile. Wonder what brought him back :shrug:

kiro
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
Geez.
I don't want to say who's more talented, or how much the percentage is. I'd say power, determination are all talents.
Nadal and Rios are both lefty, but Rios is much of a shot maker, while Nadal is having strong power and spin as his weapons.
Nadal's got great wrists. Especially forehand, you can hardly tell where the ball will be going until the hit is made. And he hits the ball with very, very strong spin.

Ali G
04-04-2005, 07:48 AM
there games are totally different. rios was a shotmaker nadal is a retriever and a fighter.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 08:20 AM
Nadal insists that he's not a retriever, which sort of amuses me. He's awfully good at it ;)

Smankyou
04-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Nadal is just a claycourter,
He's proved himself on other surfaces. You've lost your mind.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 08:38 AM
You've all lost your minds - you're responding seriously to ys! ;)

Smankyou
04-04-2005, 08:41 AM
:inlove:

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 08:42 AM
You crazy.

Smankyou
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
I try.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 08:54 AM
to say goodbye?

Smankyou
04-04-2005, 09:14 AM
You ruined what we had, Chloe. :p

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 09:16 AM
How does trying to break out into a rendition of Macy Gray ruin what we had? I thought it would make things better :(

Smankyou
04-04-2005, 09:39 AM
Oh. I thought you were singing Boys II Men or something. The croaky woman is cool by me.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Boys II Men :scared:

I don't remember any of their songs. Don't anybody dare remind me.

syd
04-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Nadal became very dangerous,

Jenrios
04-04-2005, 07:54 PM
ys is no troll - and as he said, he's sympathetic to left handers and he likes players who do well on clay.

Jenrios
04-04-2005, 07:57 PM
Despite Nadal being nowhere near Rios, I don't mind watching him play at all. I can see a comparison with Hewitt.

Jenrios
04-04-2005, 07:58 PM
oh, and it's nice to see so many posters recognise how talented Marcelo was.

afoni
04-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Nadal is an exciting prospect but he lacks the wealth of shots and artistry that was Marcelo's game.

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 09:31 PM
ys is no troll - and as he said, he's sympathetic to left handers and he likes players who do well on clay.

Anybody who has actually had a conversation with him knows that what YS does on here is trolling :p

ys
04-04-2005, 10:00 PM
Anybody who has actually had a conversation with him knows that what YS does on here is trolling :p

You just don't understand.. that's all.. :p If anyone here is trolling .. it is all those of you who are scared to voice your real opinion or go say a word a against your favourite player.. While I am just being honest.. and not giving a flying claycourter about pc.. And Rios was the last lefty #1... :p

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Yes, I'm so afraid of voicing my opinion. And I'm definitely scared about going against my favourite player. THEY MIGHT READ IT AND HUNT ME DOWN.

Being honest doesn't require being complete batty. You never struck me as seriously batty, which is why I assume you are a troll. You post things to wind people up. YOu've admitted as much before.

ys
04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes, I'm so afraid of voicing my opinion. And I'm definitely scared about going against my favourite player. THEY MIGHT READ IT AND HUNT ME DOWN.

No. You are just a part of group of posters who act as a team and support each other in discussions and never go against your favourite players or against each other. Just like Williams fans on Wtaworld. That sucks.

Being honest doesn't require being complete batty. You never struck me as seriously batty, which is why I assume you are a troll. You post things to wind people up. You've admitted as much before.

Never admitted that. What I admitted was having the guts to voice arguable or sometimes contraversial opinions to make people think and discuss. Trolls talk provokative and insulting bullshit. None of what I ever said can be classified as that. Arguable? Yes. Possibly not-true? As every hypotheses, yes.. But you are sticking labels, nothing else.

Tennis Fool
04-04-2005, 10:27 PM
So...what's Marcelo Rios doing these days?

ys
04-04-2005, 10:28 PM
So...what's Marcelo Rios doing these days?

Just read in Russian press that he stole a girlfriend from Ivan Samorano. Must be lie..

Chloe le Bopper
04-04-2005, 10:29 PM
No. You are just a part of group of posters who act as a team and support each other in discussions and never go against your favourite players or against each other. Just like Williams fans on Wtaworld. That sucks.

Yes, I never go against posters. :lol:

Trolls talk provokative and insulting bullshit. None of what I ever said can be classified as that. Arguable? Yes. Possibly not-true?

Some of what you say can be classified as insulting bullshit.

Regardless, I've been sucked into replying seriously to you, which means that it's time to bow out.

SwiSha
04-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Just read in Russian press that he stole a girlfriend from Ivan Samorano. Must be lie..

LOL haha..that could be possible ....he really was some crazy azz playa...liked him tough ... :)

JeNn
04-04-2005, 11:28 PM
I loved Rios and thought he was the best thing since sliced bread for a while there, but I would be very suprised if Nadal doesn't have the better career.

That's what is remembered people, W-I-N-S.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Wrong, I sympathise with them. I just do not believe in them.

Why are they still playing the game and I kept your body of evidence about why lefties are crap at the game, it didn't have any credence then and it doesn't now.

Wrong. I like Marat. I like Roger. I like Andre. I do not mind Carlos.

Agassi has done nothing on clay for years, yet your brilliant mind said when Corretja and Guga won the TMC, that the other players weren't interested.

GWH is true to his form and always put labels on others.

Yes, I am an arrogant, low life, degenerate scumbag whose mother is a whore and my father is a practicing necrophiliac what else is new.

Of course you stir it up and I stuck up for you when you translated Voltchkov's comments about the Argentines being on drugs, that many people thought you were bullshitting.

Yes, I forgot I have never had my opinion.

ys
04-05-2005, 03:41 AM
Some of what you say can be classified as insulting bullshit.

I would and probably should have argued with you on this.. But I know quite well that you know the sport very well ( unless most of other people I argued with ), and your amount of vCash is the best evidence of that. And that knowledge can not be offset even by your obvious sympathy to Spanish-speaking players, otherwise you would not have been as successful. And so, I don't feel like arguing about something that is, strictly speaking, off-topic and a matter of opinion. :wavey:

Hendu
04-05-2005, 03:46 AM
Is Nadal the new Rios with a better attitude?

yep... and Pim Pim Johansson is the new Chang, but taller...

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:47 AM
yep... and Pim Pim Johansson is the new Chang, but taller...

Exactly right.

ys
04-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Why are they still playing the game and I kept your body of evidence about why lefties are crap at the game, it didn't have any credence then and it doesn't now.

I used to post all evidence in the world. Even text graphs of stats for each year like Top 10 lefties in that year, Top 20 in that year, Top tournaments won in that year from 70s till now, and the curves are absolutely unambiguous and telling, and only mathematically illiterate person can dismiss stats collected over thirty years as "coincidence". Because "statistics" is the opposite of "coincidence". But you would not understand that anyway.

Agassi has done nothing on clay for years, yet your brilliant mind said when Corretja and Guga won the TMC, that the other players weren't interested.

I thought that he has won one of last 9 TMC on clay. And if you don't understand the difference in motivation of Guga, Sampras and Agassi in 2000, or Sampras, Moya and Corretja in 1998, then I am sorry, I am not paid to educate you.

Of course you stir it up and I stuck up for you when you translated Voltchkov's comments about the Argentines being on drugs, that many people thought you were bullshitting.

I never bullshit. But I am surprised at your ability to remember that kind of stuff. I've already forgotten it completely. So many things happened.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:06 AM
I used to post all evidence in the world. Even text graphs of stats for each year like Top 10 lefties in that year, Top 20 in that year, Top tournaments won in that year from 70s till now, and the curves are absolutely unambiguous and telling, and only mathematically illiterate person can dismiss stats collected over thirty years as "coincidence". Because "statistics" is the opposite of "coincidence". But you would not understand that anyway.

I forgot you were the mathemitician. Considering you never explained what critieria you were using to measure this and at the same time there are certain changes within the sport that can't be measured by numbers. The sport never goes in cycles theory seemed to escape you.

I thought that he has won one of last 9 TMC on clay. And if you don't understand the difference in motivation of Guga, Sampras and Agassi in 2000, or Sampras, Moya and Corretja in 1998, then I am sorry, I am not paid to educate you.

So you are using the excuse of lack of motivation from other players to justify the fact that 2 guys who play better on slower surfaces won the end of the season TMC. Will you use the same excuse if Nadal wins one?

So the TMS events count now? Miami and the others didn't, but when Agassi wins one it counts?

I never bullshit. But I am surprised at your ability to remember that kind of stuff. I've already forgotten it completely. So many things happened.

As long as you believe it, that is all that counts.

Jenrios
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Becca,

I've never had a problem with ys - at WX or tennis encore. That's all I can say.

Jenrios
04-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Rios didn't 'steal' Bam Bam's g/f. She finished with Bam Bam early last year, and has been dating Rios since December 2004. Apparently they are engaged. He's doing some commentary for Chilean tv, and is in a custody fight with his ex wife over his daughter, who has not taken the news about dating Kenita Larrain well.

Devotee
04-08-2005, 04:09 AM
Rios didn't 'steal' Bam Bam's g/f. She finished with Bam Bam early last year, and has been dating Rios since December 2004. Apparently they are engaged. He's doing some commentary for Chilean tv, and is in a custody fight with his ex wife over his daughter, who has not taken the news about dating Kenita Larrain well.

:eek: I had no idea Rios had divorced Julianna! How long did their marriage last?

Chloe le Bopper
04-08-2005, 04:30 AM
Jena loves ot talk about Julianna ;)

Jenrios
04-08-2005, 03:43 PM
I'll make an exception wjen it's their divorce:) They were married for almost 4 years - got divorced last June. She wouldn't support him when he attempted his last comeback - she just upped and left. Now they are involved in a custody battle over their daughter.

And how things change so quickly - Rios married the model Kenita yesterday. Can't wait for Jules re-action hehehehe!