Precocity graph [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Precocity graph

Neumann
04-02-2005, 10:05 PM
It was made a year ago when Rafa and Gasquet were meant to be the next two big things. I added the crosses approximately where they will be after Miami, 17th(most likely) – 15th for Nadal and 152th for Gasquet (I hope this talented guy recovers and finally gets a top30 or better :angel: ).

The graph clearly shows Nadal being much more precocious than the rest of the players a year ago. Then he fell in the rankings due to an injury, but now he’s just climbed to #1 spot again :worship: (I guess there are many players missing here, Becker?, but I think the graph was only made to compare the two youngsters with the current top players).

I know precocity isn’t all, although it usually is an interesting measure of the future. I even thought that he’d burn out, get injured or that he was good at that time just because he was more physically developed than the players at his age (this was when his serve and backhand sucked big time IMO :p . Nice improvement in both BTW), but now I think he has almost proved that he is going to live in the top ten happily ever after, and maybe, with Federer’s permission, be number 1 as the other players in the graph.

What do you think?

Ah! And if anyone knows where to find the updated version of the graph, I’d appreciate it :D . I think I found it is stevetennis.com

Scotso
04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Wow that's a cool chart :wavey:

NATAS81
04-03-2005, 12:46 AM
Nadal has surpassed Federer to this point in his career.

But no, he hasn't beaten that many Top 10s.

lmao, haters.

Neumann
04-03-2005, 11:49 AM
Yeah, he hasn't beaten many top10, but, although advisable, it is not required to be a top10. And one interesting thing about the kid is the consistency he is showing so far. His only 4 (5 this afternoon ;) ) defeats come from Ljubicic, top10 this year, Hrbaty, good player and injury, Hewitt, #2, and Gaudio, around #2 on clay. I want to say with this that he is winning all the matches he "should" win, and that's something really important in the entry ranking (asd Mr. Safin about that :D ).

*julie*
04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Yes Nadal's improvment is impressive. Federer reached the top only after 20!
Gasquet and Nadal were very precocious in comparison with the others.
Let's just hope Gasquet's progression will climb soon...

Scotso
04-03-2005, 02:34 PM
What do you mean he hasn't beaten many top ten? He's beaten enough, and the ones he hasn't beaten, he's come pretty damn close. Here's his record vs. current top ten players.

Versus Roger FEDERER (SUI)
Year Tournament Round Surface Winner Score
2004 Miami 32 Hard (O) R.NADAL 6-3 6-3
Rafael NADAL (ESP) Leads Roger FEDERER (SUI) : 1 to 0 *

Versus Lleyton HEWITT (AUS)
2004 Australian Open 32 Hard (O) L.HEWITT 6-7(2) 6-7(5) 2-6
2004 Canada 64 Hard (O) L.HEWITT 6-1 4-6 2-6
2005 Australian Open 16 Hard (O) L.HEWITT 5-7 6-3 6-1 6-7(3) 2-6
Lleyton HEWITT (AUS) Leads Rafael NADAL (ESP) : 3 to 0 *

Versus Andy RODDICK (USA)
2004 U.S. Open 64 Hard (O) A.RODDICK 0-6 3-6 4-6
2004 Davis Cup 2004 Clay R.NADAL 6-7(6) 6-2 7-6(6) 6-2
Rafael NADAL (ESP) is tied with Andy RODDICK (USA) : 1 to 1 *

Never played Safin.

Versus Guillermo CORIA (ARG)
2003 Monte Carlo 16 Clay (O) G.CORIA 6-7(3) 2-6 (when Rafa was 16)
Guillermo CORIA (ARG) Leads Rafael NADAL (ESP) : 1 to 0 *

Versus Carlos MOYA (ESP)
2003 Hamburg 32 Clay (O) R.NADAL 7-5 6-4
2003 Umag SF Clay (O) C.MOYA 4-6 4-6
Rafael NADAL (ESP) is tied with Carlos MOYA (ESP) : 1 to 1 *
*Rafael also beat Moya in the Spanish Nationals which is not included.

Never played Henman.

Versus Gaston GAUDIO (ARG)
2003 Hamburg 16 Clay (O) G.GAUDIO 2-6 2-6
2004 Bastad QF Clay (O) G.GAUDIO 2-6 3-6
2005 Buenos Aires QF Clay (O) G.GAUDIO 6-0 0-6 1-6
Gaston GAUDIO (ARG) Leads Rafael NADAL (ESP) : 3 to 0 *
His worst record by far.

Never played Nalbandian.

Never played Agassi.

So you see, of the six top ten players he's played, he's beaten three. 50% isn't bad for an 18 year old. Plus, he very nearly beat Hewitt, showing that he certainly can, especially if they play on clay. Saying that he doesn't have enough top ten wins is ridiculous.

richard gasquet
04-03-2005, 02:59 PM
give gasquet some few time and you will see what he is able to do. ;)

congrats to nadal. :)

loeliepoelie
04-03-2005, 03:55 PM
Well Gasquet is back on the right track, he won a challenger last week and is in the final of one today. If he wins that final he will be back in the top 100 I am told. But that's still a big difference with Rafa...

Wulfram
04-03-2005, 04:09 PM
Ah! And if anyone knows where to find the updated version of the graph, I’d appreciate it :D . I think I found it is stevetennis.com

http://www.tennis28.com/charts/Nadal_vs_NB.GIF

Doesn't include Gasquet though.

Neumann
04-19-2005, 02:29 PM
It includes Gasquet now :worship: !!! The talent could not be kept hidden any longer ;) . I'm really happy Richard has come back.

I've only seen his last three matches, but it has been the most entertaining tennis since Federer (and Federer plays reaaally funny tennis). I hope, and I think, it isn't just a good week. If the tennis I saw is confirmed the kid is due to great things. And not only on clay. In fact his style seems to be more suited for hard courts, flat and powerful ground strokes, nice serve (not so much against Nadal, but he serves better) and good volleys. Only consistence and fitness are missing (alghough his run at the two challengers and MC might mean that he has those too) to make it to the top! My guess, he finishes the year top 20.

Go Gasquet! :wavey:

richard gasquet
04-19-2005, 03:45 PM
hope so! ;)

:wavey:

tennisgirl19
04-19-2005, 11:32 PM
I hope Richard will reach top 20
::crosses fingers::

RogiFan88
04-20-2005, 01:57 AM
It took Rogi some time to finally win his first title, Milano 2001, while Pandy and Lleyton had already won titles at a much younger age. They were more precocious, esp Lleyton, who defeated AA on the way to winning Adelaide in '98 at 16 yrs.

Right now, I'm enjoying Rafa's success!

Scotso
04-20-2005, 05:26 AM
To update my chart, Rafa has now beaten both Coria and Gaudio... that makes 5 of the top ten he's beaten, and 4 he hasn't played.