How good are you? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How good are you?

Mlashtok
04-02-2005, 07:08 AM
How good of a tennis player are you?

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 07:09 AM
I stink. I have good footwork, sort of. I'm fast. Kind of. This is all relative though, since i play with other people who blow.

deliveryman
04-02-2005, 07:10 AM
I'd rank myself somewhere above a paraplegic and somewhere below Federer.

Mlashtok
04-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Alright I might as well go now. I'm pretty good, probably 5.0 or so. Got a big serve and a pretty good forehand, but lazy footwork. And I could take Roddick from the baseline. :eek: :devil: :cool:

Matt

Mlashtok
04-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Thanks delivery man.

deliveryman
04-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Anytime ;)

DHfan
04-02-2005, 07:47 AM
ITN 6

Mlashtok
04-02-2005, 07:55 AM
What does ITN 6 refer to? Is it a rating system or an organization? I only have heard of the American NTRP system.

Matt

Rex
04-02-2005, 07:58 AM
im quite good- good spin forehand like nadal, and a powerful backhand, and i constantly work on my footwork. Im 16 and i am small for my age- and i hit around 100 mph serve, i think its decent- but comparatively its shit.

deliveryman
04-02-2005, 08:02 AM
im quite good- good spin forehand like nadal, and a powerful backhand, and i constantly work on my footwork. Im 16 and i am small for my age- and i hit around 100 mph serve, i think its decent- but comparatively its shit.

100mph serve? Nice. Can you keep it under control consistantly?

Ferrero Forever
04-02-2005, 08:03 AM
ok, i have a crap serve, i have extremely crap movement, but i have an explosive forehand, backhand and smash, so usually i can control the point without moving. I'm lazy.

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 08:05 AM
i'm a serve volleyer who hates getting into baseline rallies

get me on a slow surface and i'm easy prey

Ferrero Forever
04-02-2005, 08:07 AM
i forgot to mention i'm a baseliner-thanks for reminding me bad-gambler

Federerhingis
04-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Pathetic at best! lol, really I stink but hopefully in the not so distant future I should take some serious lessons to at least play at club level, if only for recreation. Boy I wish I could serve with a racket as I serve with my hand but with a volleyball. Its inconsistent and streaky but on a volleyball court and with a volleyball I can usually hit at least 3 aces per set. I am very short, however I have a rather very good serve for my size and height, I make look some of my 6 foot three inch fellow players look smaller than what they are when I am usually serving well. Anyways just rattling too much I guess!

My forehand is no where to be found and my backhand is ok at best, if I keep proper form and stance. I never thought trying to serve with a tennis racket could be so difficult, at best my serves would be powder puff 60mphs at best, that sums me up on a tennis court pretty much lol!

El Legenda
04-02-2005, 08:08 AM
I got some problems getting 1st serve in. then 2nd is weak...backhand weak..soild forehand...too big for net play...on a 10 scale 6.5-7

and i won the intermural tennis toury at my college about 40 played...

Smankyou
04-02-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm not going to beat around the bush.

I'm pretty shit.

adeegee
04-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty good I think. I play 4 times a week to a pretty high standard, just started entering tournaments and stuff. My 1st serve is a big weapon, but my usual 1st serve % is around 45ish. If I could get it up to 60 I'd be a lot happier. My 2nd serve is reasonable, I kick it in most of the time, good players tend to deal with it pretty easily though. My backhand used to be awful, its gradually got better with a lot of work but is still 100 times weaker than my forehand, which I've always been pretty strong off. My footwork could probably do with a bit of work, and my volleys though I very rarely make ventures to the net.

Andrew123
04-02-2005, 10:08 AM
im v tall for my age- good serve. Apart from that, not i'mm not bad, nothing very weak, but no mazing shots either.

Nikki♥
04-02-2005, 12:07 PM
I´m good, I´m perfect.

Ooops. I thought this question was about my looks. :tape:

Well, my tennis sucks. I´m not nicknamed Anna Kournikova for nothing.

misyou25
04-02-2005, 12:10 PM
ok, i have a crap serve, i have extremely crap movement, but i have an explosive forehand, backhand and smash, so usually i can control the point without moving. I'm lazy.
me too :D but recently, even my forehand sux

misyou25
04-02-2005, 12:12 PM
Alright I might as well go now. I'm pretty good, probably 5.0 or so. Got a big serve and a pretty good forehand, but lazy footwork. And I could take Roddick from the baseline. :eek: :devil: :cool:

Matt
as if :haha: you first have to be able to return roddick's shots

misyou25
04-02-2005, 12:12 PM
sorry, didnt mean the big :haha: , just a :D

ae wowww
04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
Wanting to play full time :)

Saumon
04-02-2005, 12:18 PM
I cant play anymore :sad:

Alvarillo
04-02-2005, 12:21 PM
i started learning 3 months ago, still pathetic but improving day by day :)

MrOschie
04-02-2005, 01:20 PM
my moving sucks ^^

Auscon
04-02-2005, 01:22 PM
started playing last year along with a couple of mates, and I'm definitely playing alot better tennis than they are, even though we've all played the same amount of tennis, but I'm probably still crap compared with most

Theyre the only guys I play against, so I thats why I'd like to join a club to be able to play against other people

Best of my game is my footwork, speed, setting up points and ball control....solid off the backhand and forehand but I could definitely use more power.....and my 1hbackhand definitely needs some work when coming up against high bouncers

The one key element that I have no idea of where I stand is my serve....about the time I got to the point where I decided to start to work on it, ive gotten some problem with my wrist, which gets a bit sore whenever I go through with a service motion

erik-the-red
04-02-2005, 02:00 PM
I'm probably 3.0 - 3.5.

I'd say my groundstrokes are solid. I spin both of my serves in; they're not "nerf" serves.

I don't volley that well, and I have a nasty habit of not wanting to push forward.

Angle Queen
04-02-2005, 02:31 PM
A lowlife 3.0...3.5 wannabe here. (No offense, erik ;) )

But for ~40...I don't consider that all that bad for someone who's only played seriously for the last 18 months (played in HS eons ago...but that don't count). I can hold my own with the little chickadees half my age. No real weapon to speak of...but my first serve ain't bad...and I usually have plenty of control and good placement with it. I move around the court well, have plenty of endurance...and give myself big brownie points for strategy. Play both singles and doubles so I'm as comfortable at baseline (although I'm mostly defensive there)...as I am at net (a lot more offense there :) ).

I still take lessons, play leagues...and now tournaments. Looking forward to playin'...for the rest of my life.

rocketrajic
04-02-2005, 02:38 PM
I think that I'm not bad.

+ Unpredictable 1st serve serve (40mph with a great spin or a strong 100 mph serve) 7/10
+ Very good forehand and hard 7/10
+ good footwork 5/10
+ I never give up (I can comeback from a 5-0 deficit) 10/10

- pathetic 2nd serve 2/10
- horrible backhand 2/10
- a bad returner 3/10

avocadoe
04-02-2005, 02:53 PM
I am starting up again after a 25 year hiatus, taking lessons, getting used to the non-wood racket, developing a topspin of both sides and sore shoulder that goes with it :) I learned on clay originally and some of that sticks with me. Oddly my backhand has always felt like my most natural stroke, although with the new racket, an angled forhand probably gives others more trouble. I used to have a really good serve for a woman at 5'5", but now shrinking an inch and overuse on the shoulder problems, my serve is placed but slow. Hoping to improve over the next couple of years and play club ladders and tourneys.

Billy Moonshine
04-02-2005, 03:41 PM
Absolutely rubbish, my only good shot is my forehand and crosscourt backhand. Below average, but consistent serve. Not bad footwork-getting fitter so improving- and can´t volley to save my life, though it´s great when i pull it off,such a rush! Dont even try overheads, they are so lame.
Love the game anyway, find watching it the most therapeutic pasttime, just go off into a dreamworld and can watch it for hours and hours.

David Kenzie
04-02-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm roughly 15/4 in France (ITN 6, USTA 3.5) which is not bad considering I keep getting injured. In fact I have no idea how good (or bad) I would be if I managed to keep fit...

Paialii
04-02-2005, 04:58 PM
My parents (dad is also a coach) and other coaches have been pushing for me to step into the pro circuit (I'm already involved in USTA.. have been forever) to give it a wing becasue they think I could be successful in it. I'm pretty critical of my play, so you're not going to hear or see me say I'm the best, yada yada, despite what my parents and coaches say.

I'm happy with my results thusfar -- I've won a total of 21 juniors hardcourt championships (and 10 or so very small tournaments before the juniors), 6 clay court tournaments, three grass tournaments and two carpet tournaments. Although I think going pro could be a good turnout for me, I just enjoy playing and I love helping my dad coach others. :)

YoursTruly
04-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I think I'm a 3.0-3.5 under that USTA scale

aIrSaMpRaS14
04-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I have played 5.5 (usta) players, I won a few, lost a few.

Played since I was 3, baseliner with 2 handed backhand, 110mph first serve.

Return is my best shot, style = a counterpuncher who can hit winners and loves people at the net.

That's about it :)

Mlashtok
04-02-2005, 07:44 PM
Damn 110 is pretty good. I think my fastest serve would probably be 110, but it's not very consistent and usually is around 95-100. The technique and timing of the ball toss vs. racquet swing is a big problem... think being 6'3 200 lbs and having a heavy racquet helps me to get it that fast, but it could be much better.

Matt

NATAS81
04-02-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm the world's #1 and have bought the best equipment on tour..

In FILA World Tour Tennis

tennisman.
04-02-2005, 07:53 PM
I am somewhere between Federer and Hewitt. ;)

-ernie-
04-02-2005, 07:56 PM
I live in a tennis family and was practically born with a raquet in my hand. I am ranked number 2 in the state of texas and have been up to number 8 nationaly in boys 14s. I am still 14 but I am playing boys 16s now because who rly cares about 14's :p. I am ranked 37 in texas for 16s and 151 nationally :p But i am really young in my division so im not expecting great results yet. Just hoping to qualify for Kalamazoo this summer. My serve is good, I think of myself as an all court player really......i dont rly have a GLARING weakness. But in 16s i have been overpowered easily some matches.

aIrSaMpRaS14
04-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Damn 110 is pretty good. I think my fastest serve would probably be 110, but it's not very consistent and usually is around 95-100. The technique and timing of the ball toss vs. racquet swing is a big problem... think being 6'3 200 lbs and having a heavy racquet helps me to get it that fast, but it could be much better.

Matt

Yep a heavy racket with the weight in the correct position really helps.

Lead at 3 and 9 really gives more stability and adds a few more mph onto the serve with proper technique.

Fedex
04-03-2005, 01:55 AM
Is this Davenport I'm talking to. ;) :lol:

Becarina
04-03-2005, 03:35 AM
i pretty much suck, but my backhand is good and accurate and I am pretty fast and can run down alot of balls

El Legenda
04-03-2005, 03:37 AM
How good am I : See Federer and then some.

El Legenda
04-03-2005, 03:37 AM
My parents (dad is also a coach) and other coaches have been pushing for me to step into the pro circuit (I'm already involved in USTA.. have been forever) to give it a wing becasue they think I could be successful in it. I'm pretty critical of my play, so you're not going to hear or see me say I'm the best, yada yada, despite what my parents and coaches say.

I'm happy with my results thusfar -- I've won a total of 21 juniors hardcourt championships (and 10 or so very small tournaments before the juniors), 6 clay court tournaments, three grass tournaments and two carpet tournaments. Although I think going pro could be a good turnout for me, I just enjoy playing and I love helping my dad coach others. :)

really my little brother 2...he will be 14 this summer...

Dokicfan
04-03-2005, 07:58 AM
I think Im pretty good. About 3.5 to 4.0

My first serve almost never goes in when I try big serves so I just hit it very deep most the times (5/10)

Second serve is pretty much the same, Its almost completly flat (4/10)

Big forehand, I almost always hit aggressive shots with it, Some topspin, good control and alot of power (8/10)

Nice backhand, pretty consistent, less powerful than the forhand but I can it winners with it (7/10)

Ok movement (6/10)

Aweful volleys, I just dont get the technique and I pretty much never come in (2/10)

Chloe le Bopper
04-03-2005, 08:08 AM
I stink. I have good footwork, sort of. I'm fast. Kind of. This is all relative though, since i play with other people who blow.
I guess I should say something more positive: my backhand isn't bad. It's fairly consistent. Again, this is relative, since I don't play against people who are very good. The only problem with my backhand is that it's really really really flat and barely scrapes the net - so it breaks down easily when I'm sulking. Which I do. Often. I need to do something about that. My forehand is getting better, but it's really loopy.

I make an effort to rush the net when it's reasonable to do so. My volleys suck, though. But I can only get better if I make the effort. I just hate standing around and waiting for things to happen, blah. I like to run.

Caralimon
04-03-2005, 09:11 AM
I can make really good tactical moves. Technically I stink. That's it. Have to improve a lot. But I have a nice slice shot, too.

Chloe le Bopper
04-03-2005, 10:52 AM
I like to smack the ball right at other beginners because I'm not very nice :D

Roger-No.1
04-03-2005, 10:53 AM
would like to quote deliveryman.

I'd rank myself somewhere above a paraplegic and somewhere below Federer.

Ferrero Forever
04-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Is this Davenport I'm talking to. ;) :lol:
well a lot of people tell me that i play like her, especially with the movement thing. I'm 6 foot tall as well, and if my memory serves me correctly she's around that height too. Thanks for the compliment though, she's my fave WTA player. :D

Clara Bow
04-04-2005, 06:05 AM
My backhand has always been very strong, my forehand okay, and my serve crappy (with awkard movement). Movement and volleys pretty decent.

But- I played for the second time today after having rotator cuff surgery around seven months ago (from swimming, tennis, and other factors) and everything sucked. :sad: I had to serve underhand....and nothing worked. Hopefully things will get better.

NATAS81
04-04-2005, 06:15 AM
Serving underhanded - Interesting concept

swellde
04-04-2005, 06:38 AM
Adeegee mentioned the kick serve. I'm a 26 year old smoker (lol), that loves to play tennis. I might be able to hit a proper kick serve during a friendly match about 1 in 20. On those rare occasions, players that are so much better than me (which isn't saying much), are dumbfounded. Can anyone give advice on what it takes to properly execute that serve?

misyou25
04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I am somewhere between Federer and Hewitt. ;)
ehmmmmm...Safin? :haha:

makro120
04-04-2005, 12:05 PM
I think I am good, but my body is not very fit. I am neither strong or fast, but technical I am good I think. My one handed backhand is a little unbalanced and this might sound strange but I often change to 2 handed backhand in different situations. When my one handed backhand isn't working I change to a secure 2 handed backhand, also I have been working to revolutionise tennis by hitting one handed returns on 1st serve and 2 handed backhand on 2nd serve, but it doesn't work as I loose alot of rythm. I thought about how the 2 handed backhand is obviously better to make winners in the 2nd serve returns or get serves which bounces high back and one handed is better to just defend on the 1st serve. But now I understand why no one in the tour uses this mix, but I will continue to try this method.

My forehand is deadly, but I think it is hard to defend with the forehand, I try to go to net alot and many times I go on wrong occasions. I am awful in thinking tennis, strategy and so on, hitting on the weakness of my opponent. I just play my game.

MY 1st serve is good, but I hit alot of double faults.

That sums up me as a tennis player quite well. I also try to play elegant like Federer, but I fail doing so I think.

syd
04-04-2005, 12:19 PM
i'm pretty good
my problem is just i'm not serving well !!!

Turkeyballs Paco
04-04-2005, 07:48 PM
I like to smack the ball right at other beginners because I'm not very nice :D

I'm surprised the nicest person on this forum isn't nice on the tennis court ;)

My game, if you can call it that, sucks ass in every area. But it's always improving.

El Legenda
04-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Everything that Roger knows..come from me.

Saumon
04-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Everything that Roger knows..come from me.
:lol:

Adman
04-04-2005, 09:30 PM
I am not the worst player in the world, but I have a good game, with a rather fast serve, but the main thing is I play the same person ever time I play tennis and he has a very weak second serve so I earn a lot of cheap points by pouncing on that second serve and bolting it down the line. Which annoys him a lot, having a strong serve there is more chance for error so I have devolped a good second serve action, using the slice serve which my opponant can't really read. Most of the time any way!