Who Will Win Roland Garros & Tournament Discussion Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who Will Win Roland Garros & Tournament Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Plastic Bertrand
04-02-2005, 06:48 AM
Yes, I know this is a bit early, but I thought why not put the question out there. If a favourite of yours isn't mentioned use the other option, it can be your friend.

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Oooh, a new friend :hearts:

How is Popp not an option?!?!

WyveN
04-02-2005, 06:54 AM
should wait until clay season starts

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 06:55 AM
Okay, I'll bump this up for you on Monday.

Plastic Bertrand
04-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Yes, well I did say it was a bit early. I was so close to including Rusedski as the 9th choice, but those are the breaks.

Ferrero Forever
04-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Ferrero will win again

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 07:24 AM
an argentinian

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 07:30 AM
King Coria. Unless he lets somebody else win. Again.

;)

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 07:31 AM
in that case he will be allowing gaudio to win it again

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 07:49 AM
Yes. A distinct possiblity, that.

Federerhingis
04-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Yeah betting on an Argentine or Spaniard to win wouldnt be betting against the odds at Rolland Garros. However its too soon I would say to predict which one of them. Depending on how either Coria or Ferrero do during the clay season and whomever wins the most convincingly after the 1st week will take the title home. Safe bets if they keep form, Coria, Gaudio, Ferrero if regains form, Nadal is shaping up good for it too. Hopefully Federer can make it at least to the quarters or better, he can play on clay but Rolland hasnt been a good tournie for him, hes made the Final of the Italian and won Hamburg twice so he has learned how to play on clay and is no slouch. So who knows.

WyveN
04-02-2005, 08:55 AM
Okay, I'll bump this up for you on Monday.

At 1 past midnight on Monday I hope

El Legenda
04-02-2005, 09:21 AM
The guy who beats the other guy in the final

Cindy19
04-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Rafael Nadal, he is very very hot now. so i think he will be the winner!!!!

adeegee
04-02-2005, 09:26 AM
Rafa hopefully

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 10:33 AM
King Coria. Unless he lets somebody else win. Again.

;)

If he does that, could he please perform a different form of theatrics. :)

Black Adam
04-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I will go with Rafa but where is Andy Rodick on that poll??? ;)

Rogiman
04-02-2005, 10:45 AM
Rafa, unfortunately.

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 10:45 AM
TGS, stop being delusional that Roddick deserves to be on that poll. Since when has RG been played on anything but clay in recent times?

As the poster said vote Other if the option you don't like is on there.

Saumon
04-02-2005, 11:21 AM
Yes, I know this is a bit early, but I thought why not put the question out there. If a favourite of yours isn't mentioned use the other option, it can be your friend.
ca plane pour toi? :tape:

Exodus
04-02-2005, 11:25 AM
I think Federer will win french open this year but it would have been so much better if Safin won. It's kinda boring seeing Federer winning everything.

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 11:27 AM
gaudio and coria will eat up rafa :p

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 11:30 AM
Federer will not win it this year, in future more than likely, but not this year.

Exodus
04-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Why not? I mean if he didn't lost to Kuerten last year he would probably have won. I mean that final between Coria and Gaudio was ridiculous

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Why not? I mean if he didn't lost to Kuerten last year he would probably have won. I mean that final between Coria and Gaudio was ridiculous

i'll take your word for it

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 11:39 AM

Did you just start watching tennis in 2005?

What ifs don't have a place in sport, one of the first rules in sport.

If you want reasons I am going to bump up a thread and you can read them for yourself from many different people.

Considering Coria and Gaudio are two of the best players on clay they had every right to be in that final.

Exodus
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
don't tell me that the final was exicting for it was really boring. the truth is that Federer would have won against either one of them in the final

bad gambler
04-02-2005, 11:45 AM
don't tell me that the final was exicting for it was really boring. the truth is that Federer would have won against either one of them in the final

i wasn't sure before, but now i know you are winding up some posters here

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 11:47 AM

You don't get it do you.

What ifs, buts and maybe = 0 that is right the answer is 0. So what you are saying about Federer winning RG in 04 is irrelevant.

I never said it was quality tennis the final, but if you didn't find it drama filled or exciting then that's your problem.

How long have you been watching tennis as a matter of interest?

RonE
04-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Wayne Arthurs will win it, beating Andy Roddick in the final.

Exodus
04-02-2005, 11:49 AM
Well I just think that Federer could win this year that's all and i have been watching tennis since 96.

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 11:52 AM
Well I just think that Federer could win this year that's all and i have been watching tennis since 96.

That's cool thinking Federer can win it, it's not like that it's impossible, but when you start using what if scenarios, then it deserved that earlier response.

RonE
04-02-2005, 01:14 PM
I do not expect Federer to win it this year. What I DO expect is for him to at least win a few rounds, not give up, fight to not lose in straight sets as he has been doing the last few years and to stop making lame excuses about the court surface and conditions.

Safin- I am not willing to make any predictions concerning him.

You will probably be hard-pressed to find a player making it to the quarterfinals whose mother tongue language isn't Spanish. Out of those that do make it that far, it is more or less a toss-up with Coria, Gaudio, Canas, Ferero (if fit and mentally balanced) the stronger favourites IMO.

Nadal will probably not win it this year, he hasn't even played there yet. He might very well have a superb run in his first appearance like Ferrero did in 2000 but he needs to "ripen" more and become more well-rounded to win it- in a few years time, why not?

Guga is more of a dark horse for me- it is unclear how he will recover in terms of match play from surgery and wether he will have the stamina of old required to go all the way.

Nalbandian- well, he is a bit like Safin in that lately you just do not know what to expect from him- but if fully fit and healthy he can go deep in the event, however his psychological mental state when it gets to the nitty gritty business end of big tournaments is still questionable.

Moya- Sadly, I am afraid the train has left as far as he is concerned. He could very well make it to the quarters again but frankly I would be surprised were he to progress further- he has just become too erratic, too impatient trying to close out points too soon and his backhand is not very dependable.

Scotso
04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I'd put early money on Nadal... but something tells me that Ferrero might eek out a win again :confused:

Experimentee
04-02-2005, 03:59 PM
Gaudio's been the best player on clay in the last year since he won RG, and I see no reason why he cant do it again. The other favourites would be Coria and Federer. Nadal is showing good form on clay but he was destroyed by Gaudio in their only meeting on clay this year, and won those tournaments when Gaston didnt play, so I'd say Gaudio is showing better form. Ferrero may be a dark horse but he needs to pick up soon, because hes still nowhere near his best.

Vincent
04-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I would love to see Rogie to win of course, but he seem to be less dominant on clay as on hardcourt, not to mention grass. God bless him. :)

I wouldn't mind to see Gaston to triumph again! :yippee:

Deivid23
04-02-2005, 04:19 PM
It´s too soon to guess we should wait till clay season goes futher. By now in this order for me: Coria above all, then next step Gaudio and Federer and in the next one Nadal, Safin and Ferrero.

David Kenzie
04-02-2005, 04:20 PM
If fit and in no particular order, the favorites are : Coria, Federer, Ferrero, Kuerten
next are Gaudio, Nadal, Cañas, Nalbandian, Safin, Moya

But imo, there is no way Gaudio will win again.

Sinnet
04-02-2005, 04:26 PM
I'd like to see Nadal make his first slam final... but I think it's going to be someone unexpected (kinda like last year). Just not sure who yet.

*Ljubica*
04-02-2005, 04:51 PM
I've got this sneaking feeling that Marat could do well here - and win his 3rd Grand Slam. I don't think Nadal can win it yet - I think he has peaked a bit to early in the season, and he is very young to win a Grand Slam. I would love to see Gaston defend his title and prove the doubters wrong but think it is unlikely, and I would see Canas as a good outside bet.

Auscon
04-02-2005, 04:57 PM
Hewitt.....

having learned from his lesson against Gaudio last year, will want to stay the hell away from him....

as for who'll win it, I'm hoping and thinking Coria. And with his newfound confidence, theres a good chance we'll be seeing Gaudio in the final aswell. Hopefully, if theyre on opposite sides of the draw, we'll have a final rematch

gravity
04-02-2005, 05:00 PM
My prediction: David Nalbandian will win Roland Garros without dropping a single set.

I think I speak for every guy when I say I hope Guillermo Coria stays healthy so he brings his hot wife to Paris.

Auscon
04-02-2005, 05:03 PM
I think I speak for every guy when I say I hope Guillermo Coria stays healthy so he brings his hot wife to Paris.

I probably wont get to see any Roland Garros matches, but just knowing she's gonna be there right through the second week will make me happy

jazz_girl
04-02-2005, 05:03 PM
My prediction: David Nalbandian will win Roland Garros without dropping a single set.

:lol: at both your statements!

Bibir
04-02-2005, 05:17 PM
I'm with Safin, the underachiever...The ONE who had to quit tennis and open his own night club... few months ago after USO.

Paialii
04-02-2005, 05:19 PM
Roddick will win it, DUH.

And the runner-up will be Pete Sampras, who decided to come out of retirement and give the tourny a shot.

:angel:

Auscon
04-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Roddick will win it, DUH.

And the runner-up will be Pete Sampras, who decided to come out of retirement and give the tourny a shot.

:angel:

forget Roddick....

Coria v Sampras final......get double the wife hotness

Paialii
04-02-2005, 05:25 PM
forget Roddick....

Coria v Sampras final......get double the wife hotness

Wife hotness? LOL.

Maybe Andy could bring along one of his whores... you know he has some. ;)

gravity
04-02-2005, 05:26 PM
The Duck will lose badly in the final to Nalbandian. America will go back to eating freedom fries.... even though ducky took out Coria, Gaudio and Nadal all for the loss of just one set.

Auscon
04-02-2005, 05:26 PM
well, maybe if he brings Mandy

adeegee
04-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Carla :inlove: :hearts:

gravity
04-02-2005, 05:30 PM
MTF needs a carla appreciation thread.

adeegee
04-02-2005, 05:32 PM
MTF needs a carla appreciation thread.
Absolutely :rocker:

+alonso
04-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Carla ! LOL :lol:
Hi all :wavey:
I really like gaudio .. bi-champion of roland garros

jackieglover
04-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Nalbandian

Daniel
04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Fedrerer :bounce:

lalaland
04-02-2005, 11:54 PM
I want to say Ferrero. But that's just wishful thinking. In reality, I think Federer will finally get the act together to claim this one.

Roger-No.1
04-03-2005, 12:39 AM
A lot of options!

sigmagirl91
04-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Like dancing on his head or actually showing up with an injury.... :o

PaulieM
04-03-2005, 01:25 AM
i would like to see coria win it, if not then guga or ferrero( both of which are probably very unlikely), moya, gaudio, or federer of course.

NATAS81
04-03-2005, 01:43 AM
Johansson or Roddick. Unlikely mention to Gaudio.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-03-2005, 06:50 AM
RG is so unpredictable - that is what's great about it.

But I wish Coria could win it; if not him, then Safin. I think that Canas will be a very dangerous dark horse.

Action Jackson
04-03-2005, 08:07 AM
RG is so unpredictable - that is what's great about it.

But I wish Coria could win it; if not him, then Safin. I think that Canas will be a very dangerous dark horse.

That it is foul and that is part of its particular appeal. It'll be interesting to see who is correct in the long term predictions and there are a lot of things that can happen between now and when it starts. I am just looking forward to it.

Anyone on that list plus Cañas could easily win depending on the circumstances. I just hope they don't quicken it up too much.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 04:48 AM
The Duck will lose badly in the final to Nalbandian. America will go back to eating freedom fries.... even though ducky took out Coria, Gaudio and Nadal all for the loss of just one set.

:haha:

I didn't know this was Hollywood, actually if it was Hollywood, then the ending would have been different, how stupid of me.

PaulieM
04-04-2005, 05:36 AM
i vote other because i believe that one man will come out of nowhere and shock the world and that man wil be..... the one and only great IRAKLI LABADZE!!! i'm rooting for you i know you can be the greatest grand slam champion ever!:hug: :banana:

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Labadze might not actually play RG this year.

PaulieM
04-04-2005, 05:43 AM
Labadze might not actually play RG this year.
oh no my dreams will be ruined :bigcry: he'll win it in spirit i guess...

liptea
04-04-2005, 05:44 AM
:wavey: Hi, I'm delusional. I voted for Carlos Moya. I couldn't help it.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 05:45 AM
:wavey: Hi, I'm delusional. I voted for Carlos Moya. I couldn't help it.

If you seriously voted for Roddick then you'd be delusional. Moya well that is probably loyalty.

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Honorable mention to Labadze the Georgian clay court expert.

Did you not see my above post about Labadze probably not playing RG. He said if he has to qualify, then he won't go.

NATAS81
04-04-2005, 06:18 AM
Did you not see my above post about Labadze probably not playing RG. He said if he has to qualify, then he won't go.
Point taken. I'm changing my answer to Jeff 29 of 30 vs PimPim first serve points won Morrison

Action Jackson
04-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Point taken. I'm changing my answer to Jeff 29 of 30 vs PimPim first serve points won Morrison

Jeff has to make the Main draw, but an interesting choice.

NATAS81
04-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Jeff has to make the Main draw, but an interesting choice.
Ready to take on the clay season with wreckless abandon.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:12 AM
Ready to take on the clay season with wreckless abandon.

He couldn't be any worse than Fish or Ginepri, thanks for the pic.

ys
04-05-2005, 03:26 AM
I want Safin to win. I think Federer will.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:37 AM
I disagree with you on some. My opinion is that two players - Federer and Safin are standing alone as big favourites. Federer does not have to be explained. Safin proved that he can be in a crushing Slam-winning form twice in last 6 months. No other player stands close.

My second tier favourites are Ferrero, Coria and Nadal. I expect Ferrero to have a very good clay season.

Dark horses: Guga. Just because you can not rule out tricampeon as long as he is playing.

So you think Safin has the fitness to be able to last 7 matches on clay or do you have a theory that fitness is irrelevant on clay?

Doesn't Federer have to get over the silly phobias at RG to really do his talent justice and actually his defensive play on clay is at a lower level than it is on faster surfaces.

PaulieM
04-05-2005, 03:40 AM
i'm going to vote for Moya because other than federer winning it, it would make me happiest to see him win. :D

ys
04-05-2005, 03:46 AM
So you think Safin has the fitness to be able to last 7 matches on clay or do you have a theory that fitness is irrelevant on clay?

Safin's fitness has never been a problem at Slams as long as the temperatures are not extreme ( 30+C ) and in Paris they are not supposed to be like that.

Doesn't Federer have to get over the silly phobias at RG to really do his talent justice and actually his defensive play on clay is at a lower level than it is on faster surfaces.

Clay has never been his worst surface. If you look at his per-2004 US hardcourts record, he's hardly done anything at all on it ( and he alsready had won clay TMS by then ). But since 2004 he owns US hardcourts. I don't think Federer will have any phobia now. He is just too good for that.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 03:56 AM
Safin's fitness has never been a problem at Slams as long as the temperatures are not extreme ( 30+C ) and in Paris they are not supposed to be like that.

They have been at times, but he is usually pretty good in that regard. While personally I think Safin can do well at this Slam, he has never been to the semis there when he should have done it at least once.

Clay has never been his worst surface. If you look at his per-2004 US hardcourts record, he's hardly done anything at all on it ( and he alsready had won clay TMS by then ). But since 2004 he owns US hardcourts. I don't think Federer will have any phobia now. He is just too good for that.

If you had read anything I have written about Federer's abilities on clay, then you wouldn't be asking the above statement. Just for you I'll explain it in full detail again.

- Federer grew up on clay and played on it for 6 months of the year and is very comfortable his movement on the surface, he is very similar to Stich like that. He himself has whined about the Chartier court surface, the dimensions of the court as well and he was having balance problems against Guga, though the level of his opponent helped in that regard.

- Considering I know Federer has 2 TMS clay titles and the final of another one on his weaker surface. Unlike Sampras he is a realistic chance of winning here, but I don't think this will be his year.

ys
04-05-2005, 03:58 AM
They have been at times, but he is usually pretty good in that regard. While personally I think Safin can do well at this Slam, he has never been to the semis there when he should have done it at least once.

Really?

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:01 AM
Fair enough on the break points but I disagree with that. The last few service games that Kuerten served out were close and the last one certainly went to a few deuces so Roger did keep fighting. Also Federer fought hard to save another 2 or 3 break points after already being broken in the 3rd set (unlike the costa rome match) and the 2rd set could have easily been a blow out so I disagree that he conceded it and didnt fight the whole way.

Guga played very well that day and Federer was having his footwork problems. That's the thing he looked like he wasn't fighting but that was because of his demeanour on court. I don't think he catted the match per se, but he let the conditions bother him too much and didn't use the variation in his arsenal to change it against Guga, when it wasn't going well.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:03 AM
Really?

No, it has never been warm in Paris.

What will you do if Nadal wins a Slam eventually, will you still go on with your theories about lefthanders.

-ernie-
04-05-2005, 04:03 AM
rafa! :banana:

ys
04-05-2005, 04:27 AM
No, it has never been warm in Paris.

My "really" was not related to temperatures. It was related to "While personally I think Safin can do well at this Slam, he has never been to the semis there when he should have done it at least once."

What will you do if Nadal wins a Slam eventually, will you still go on with your theories about lefthanders.

If he wins just RG, it won't prove anything to me. Average players were winning it quite a few times. But if he wins it more than once or if he wins any other Slam even once, I'll happily scrap the theory.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:34 AM
My "really" was not related to temperatures. It was related to "While personally I think Safin can do well at this Slam, he has never been to the semis there when he should have done it at least once."

My mistake on the interpretation of "really". To the other comment well he had his chance in 2000 against Norman. It's not like he can't play on the surface, but look at what happened to him last year when he played those 5 setters he wasn't strong or good enough to beat Nalbandian.

If he wins just RG, it won't prove anything to me. Average players were winning it quite a few times. But if he wins it more than once or if he wins any other Slam even once, I'll happily scrap the theory.

So winning RG is less of a Slam than the other 3 now, just because he is a dirty claycourter and a lefthander? So Wilander, Lendl and Kuerten are average players?

ys
04-05-2005, 04:48 AM
My mistake on the interpretation of "really". To the other comment well he had his chance in 2000 against Norman. It's not like he can't play on the surface, but look at what happened to him last year when he played those 5 setters he wasn't strong or good enough to beat Nalbandian.

I am already confused about which of us two is clueless.. OK, let me put it straight this time..Do you realise that Safin did play in RG semis?

So winning RG is less of a Slam than the other 3 now, just because he is a dirty claycourter and a lefthander? So Wilander, Lendl and Kuerten are average players?

No, winning RG is not less of a Slam unless we compare it to Wimbledon, of course. But it is the flukiest Slam and the most surface-specific slam. Do you realise that only one of out winners of last 5 RGs made semis at another Slam? And, honestly, do you really think that a hardcourter of Gaudio or Costa clay league would have had a slightest chance at US Open? Of course, johanssons happen at other Slams too, but not as often as at RG. AndWilander, Lendl and Kuerten won at least three Slams each.. I do not know how does it even relate to what you are replying.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:58 AM
I am already confused about which of us two is clueless.. OK, let me put it straight this time..Do you realise that Safin did play in RG semis?

Yes, I did he lost to Ferrero when Ferrero got beaten by Costa in the final, that was a mistake. Thanks for the reminder.

No, winning RG is not less of a Slam unless we compare it to Wimbledon, of course. But it is the flukiest Slam and the most surface-specific slam.

That is totally subjective and how is Wimbledon not surface specific as RG is? They both are as surface-specific as the other.

Do you realise that only one of out winners of last 5 RGs made semis at another Slam? And, honestly, do you really think that a hardcourter of Gaudio or Costa clay league would have had a slightest chance at US Open?

If a hardcourter of the league of Gaudio or Costa's clay abilities, how wouldn't they have a chance at the AO or the US Open?

Average players were winning it quite a few times.

AndWilander, Lendl and Kuerten won at least three Slams each.. I do not know how does it even relate to what you are replying.

They won RG a few times and are they average players or are you trying to say that Bruguera was an average player.

Hendu
04-05-2005, 05:19 AM
The RG champions... as you see most of them are average players.

Year Winner Finalist Score
1970 Jan Kodes CZE Zeljko Franulovic YUG 6/2 6/4 6/0
1971 Jan Kodes CZE Ilie Nastase ROM 8/6 6/2 2/6 7/5
1972 Andres Gimeno ESP Patrick Proisy FRA 4/6 6/3 6/1 6/1
1973 Ilie Nastase ROM Niki Pilic YUG 6/3 6/3 6/0
1974 Björn Borg SWE Manuel Orantes ESP 2/6 6/7 6/0 6/1 6/1
1975 Björn Borg SWE Guillermo Vilas ARG 6/2 6/3 6/4
1976 Adriano Panatta ITA Harold Solomon USA 6/1 6/4 4/6 7/6
1977 Guillermo Vilas ARG Brian Gottfried USA 6/0 6/3 6/0
1978 Björn Borg SWE Guillermo Vilas ARG 6/1 6/1 6/3
1979 Björn Borg SWE Victor Pecci PAR 6/3 6/1 6/7 6/4
1980 Björn Borg SWE Vitas Gerulaitis USA 6/4 6/1 6/2
1981 Björn Borg SWE Ivan Lendl CZE 6/1 4/6 6/2 3/6 6/1
1982 Mats Wilander SWE Guillermo Vilas ARG 1/6 7/6 6/0 6/4
1983 Yannick Noah FRA Mats Wilander SWE 6/2 7/5 7/6
1984 Ivan Lendl CZE John McEnroe USA 3/6 2/6 6/4 7/5 7/5
1985 Mats Wilander SWE Ivan Lendl CZE 3/6 6/4 6/2 6/2
1986 Ivan Lendl CZE Mikael Pernfors SWE 6/3 6/2 6/4
1987 Ivan Lendl CZE Mats Wilander SWE 7/5 6/2 3/6 7/6
1988 Mats Wilander SWE Henri Leconte FRA 7/5 6/2 6/1
1989 Michael Chang USA Stefan Edberg SWE 6/1 3/6 4/6 6/4 6/2
1990 Andres Gomez ECU Andre Agassi USA 6/3 2/6 6/4 6/4
1991 Jim Courier USA Andre Agassi USA 3/6 6/4 2/6 6/1 6/4
1992 Jim Courier USA Petr Korda CZE 7/5 6/2 6/1
1993 Sergi Bruguera ESP Jim Courier USA 6/4 2/6 6/2 3/6 6/3
1994 Sergi Bruguera ESP Alberto Berasategui ESP 6/3 7/5 2/6 6/1
1995 Thomas Muster AUT Michael Chang USA 7/5 6/2 6/4
1996 Yevgeny Kafelnikov RUS Michael Stich GER 7/6 7/5 7/6
1997 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Sergi Bruguera ESP 6/3 6/4 6/2
1998 Carlos Moya ESP Alex Corretja ESP 6/3 7/5 6/3
1999 Andre Agassi USA Andreï Medvedev UKR 1/6 2/6 6/4 6/3 6/4
2000 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Magnus Norman SWE 6/2 6/3 2/6 7/6
2001 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Alex Corretja ESP 6/7 7/5 6/2 6/0
2002 Albert Costa ESP Juan-Carlos Ferrero ESP 6/1 6/0 4/6 6/3
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP Martin Verkerk NED 6/1, 6/3, 6/2
2004 Gaston Gaudio ARG Guillermo Coria ARG 0/6 3/6 6/4 6/1 8/6

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Willy, didn't you know that just because they won RG they are all jokers.

ys
04-05-2005, 05:31 AM
1993 Sergi Bruguera ESP Never won a Slam on another surface
1994 Sergi Bruguera ESP Never won a Slam on another surface
1995 Thomas Muster AUT Never won a Slam on another surface
1996 Yevgeny Kafelnikov RUS
1997 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Never won a Slam on another surface
1998 Carlos Moya ESP Never won a Slam on another surface
1999 Andre Agassi USA
2000 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Never won a Slam on another surface
2001 Gustavo Kuerten BRA Never won a Slam on another surface
2002 Albert Costa ESP Never won a Slam on another surface
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP Never won a Slam on another surface
2004 Gaston Gaudio ARG Never won a Slam on another surface

Compile similar lists for other Slams and you'll see the difference.

Hendu
04-05-2005, 05:33 AM
Willy, didn't you know that just because they won RG they are all jokers.

GW you got it wrong... they are not jokers because of winning RG, they are jokers just by wasting time playing on red dirt...

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 05:35 AM
GW you got it wrong... they are not jokers because of winning RG, they are jokers just by wasting time playing on red dirt...

Yes, that's a few times today I have got it wrong and I need to repent for my stupidity.

It's a crime for these players to play and excel on dirt, it makes them less of players for using their brains, fitness and not just relying on serve and varying spins of their shots. These people should be hung for heinous crimes.

El Legenda
04-05-2005, 05:39 AM
the guy who wins all the matchs he plays in the 2 weeks RG is being played

i am 100% i will be right

WyveN
04-05-2005, 05:52 AM
That is totally subjective and how is Wimbledon not surface specific as RG is? They both are as surface-specific as the other.

All recent Wimbledon champions have reached at least a SF at another slam and at least the QF at the French Open (actually they all reached SF except Ivanisevic (and obviously federer but i think he will correct this eventually) who lost 3 times at the QF stage of the French).
Cash is the exception of the last 40 years, he only reached the fourth round at the FO but he usually skipped it.

Hendu
04-05-2005, 05:53 AM
What about this? :rolleyes:

Player - Best ranking position
1970 Jan Kodes CZE #5
1971 Jan Kodes CZE #5
1972 Andres Gimeno ESP #49
1973 Ilie Nastase ROM #1
1974 Björn Borg SWE #1
1975 Björn Borg SWE #1
1976 Adriano Panatta ITA #4
1977 Guillermo Vilas ARG #2
1978 Björn Borg SWE #1
1979 Björn Borg SWE #1
1980 Björn Borg SWE #1
1981 Björn Borg SWE #1
1982 Mats Wilander SWE #1
1983 Yannick Noah FRA #3
1984 Ivan Lendl CZE #1
1985 Mats Wilander SWE #1
1986 Ivan Lendl CZE #1
1987 Ivan Lendl CZE #1
1988 Mats Wilander SWE #1
1989 Michael Chang USA #2
1990 Andres Gomez ECU #4
1991 Jim Courier USA #1
1992 Jim Courier USA #1
1993 Sergi Bruguera ESP #3
1994 Sergi Bruguera ESP #3
1995 Thomas Muster AUT #1
1996 Yevgeny Kafelnikov RUS #1
1997 Gustavo Kuerten BRA #1
1998 Carlos Moya ESP #1
1999 Andre Agassi USA #1
2000 Gustavo Kuerten BRA #1
2001 Gustavo Kuerten BRA #1
2002 Albert Costa ESP #6
2003 Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP #1
2004 Gaston Gaudio ARG #6

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 05:56 AM
All recent Wimbledon champions have reached at least a SF at another slam and at least the QF at the French Open (actually they all reached SF except Ivanisevic who lost 3 times at the QF stage of the French).
Cash is the exception of the last 40 years, he only reached the fourth round at the FO but he usually skipped it.

The best comparison is the Wimbledon/RG one and this is true, though as you have said yourself the standard of claycourt tennis has got better than previous, which made it easier, but it's still a great effort.

Though if someone does well at Wimbledon then there is usually a better chance of them doing well at the USO and Aus Open, it's just the way tennis is and the balance of surfaces they have.

WyveN
04-05-2005, 06:19 AM
The best comparison is the Wimbledon/RG one and this is true, though as you have said yourself the standard of claycourt tennis has got better than previous, which made it easier, but it's still a great effort.

Yes but on the other hand Wimbledon grass has been slowed right down and the quality of grass courters right now isnt deep at all so there is no reason why good clay courters shouldnt be reaching the second week consistently.

Though if someone does well at Wimbledon then there is usually a better chance of them doing well at the USO and Aus Open, it's just the way tennis is and the balance of surfaces they have.
[/QUOTE]

Thats true although the skills required to win on Rebound Ace are sifnificantly different from grass skills.

Plastic Bertrand
04-05-2005, 06:25 AM
the guy who wins all the matchs he plays in the 2 weeks RG is being played

i am 100% i will be right

You have part one correct and now for the second part you only need to give a name of the player before the starting date.

Plastic Bertrand
04-05-2005, 06:32 AM

Ah! you missed the 2002 semi finals against Ferrero. He has made it once and as for his chances at RG, they are good if he is in the right frame of mind and that is even more important on clay than the other surfaces.

He has an excellent 5 set record and he did manage to win 3 of them in a row last year, though it wrecked him for the Nalbandian match.

It'll help Marat's chances if he doesn't play Santoro in the first match or has a few short matches.

Federerhingis
04-05-2005, 06:56 AM
For now I'll stick to most probably a south american, actually some one from any of the spanish speaking countries represented on the atp tour. I will wait until the results for Rome and Hamburg come about, but It wouldnt be unwise to include the likes of Coria if he finds his form, Gaudio and Ferrero, should Ferrero find his game, do well in Rome or Hamburg he's really the guy whos got the most explosive game of the so called "clay court specialists". Serious threats Nadal, Federer and Moya.

*SKYE*
04-05-2005, 08:02 AM
Rafael Nadal :)

Deivid23
04-05-2005, 08:23 AM
It´s funny to see how many people are counting out the best claycourter over the past two years, even more now under Perlas´ coaching when he has improved his serve and looks to be more agressive going for his shots eventually... :shrug:

Guillermo Coria :yeah:

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 08:35 AM
It´s funny to see how many people are counting out the best claycourter over the past two years, even more now under Perlas´ coaching when he has improved his serve and looks to be more agressive going for his shots eventually... :shrug:

Guillermo Coria :yeah:

If anyone counts out Coria on a claycourt if he is in a tournament, then they really have rocks in their head.

This doesn't mean I want him to win, but it will take a very good performance to stop him in RG.

Perlas is a very good coach this is true and I wonder if Coria wins it while he is there, how many coaches will hve coached the winner 3 times with different players.

WyveN
04-05-2005, 08:45 AM
Perlas is a very good coach this is true and I wonder if Coria wins it while he is there, how many coaches will hve coached the winner 3 times with different players.

of course with Coria there is a chance he will go through another 5 coaches before RG starts.

Deivid23
04-05-2005, 08:45 AM
If you seriously voted for Roddick then you'd be delusional. Moya well that is probably loyalty.

I expect Moyá to kick some serious ass in Paris this year. Don´t think he has a good chance of winning it but I expect him to reach quarter-finals or so.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
of course with Coria there is a chance he will go through another 5 coaches before RG starts.

Yes, he is trying to break Marat and Malisse's record for going through coaches. He is very close considering how young he is.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 08:50 AM
I expect Moyá to kick some serious ass in Paris this year. Don´t think he has a good chance of winning it but I expect him to reach quarter-finals or so.

I remember a very good comment from Muster when he knew it was time when he was past it. Moya seems to be trying to finish the points off too soon and not being able to play the game he wants to, that is an indication that he isn't in the shape that needs to be in.

Moya you never know, but he is someone who can play well here, though he hasn't had a good finish in a Slam for a while.

Deivid23
04-05-2005, 08:56 AM
I remember a very good comment from Muster when he knew it was time when he was past it. Moya seems to be trying to finish the points off too soon and not being able to play the game he wants to, that is an indication that he isn't in the shape that needs to be in.

Moya you never know, but he is someone who can play well here, though he hasn't had a good finish in a Slam for a while.

My feelings have more to do with his declarations over past months. I can read between the lines Paris is his main goal for this season, and Moyá has the ability to focus really well on his "obsessions"

Deivid23
04-05-2005, 09:00 AM

Just a matter of time. ;)

PD: By the way, I hardly find one post of yours I agree with at least on 30%, it´s funny, though

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 09:03 AM
My feelings have more to do with his declarations over past months. I can read between the lines Paris is his main goal for this season, and Moyá has the ability to focus really on his "obsessions"

I meant Muster said that as an indication and I just hope Moya can do himself justice, then again that Coria match was disappointing.

He didn't play DC this year, he needs a big show at this tournament.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Just a matter of time. ;)

PD: By the way, I hardly find one post of yours I agree with at least on 30%, it´s funny, though

He still wouldn't admit it and 30% you are doing well.

bad gambler
04-05-2005, 09:18 AM
i would be suprised if moya does extremely well in RG this year - his results in comptetitve fields thus far would suggest he is going to find the going tough

it will be interesting to see how he performs in the upcoming masters tournamenst - that will be a good indicator as to where he is at the moment

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Strange things happen at RG gambler. 2003 was a perfect example when people thought Costa would be a bum and a joke, yet he managed to make the semis after some great dogfights to get there.

Cañas one of the guys he defeated, it'll be interesting to see how he goes. At least this year he won't have Gaudio as a first round match, though knowing his luck he would get Guga.

bad gambler
04-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Cañas one of the guys he defeated, it'll be interesting to see how he goes. At least this year he won't have Gaudio as a first round match, though knowing his luck he would get Guga.

i think it is safe to say all the seeds who think they have a chance of winning RG this year will be looking for guga's name when the draw comes out to ascertain when they may have to play him

its a shame guga will be unseeded

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
i think it is safe to say all the seeds who think they have a chance of winning RG this year will be looking for guga's name when the draw comes out to ascertain when they may have to play him

its a shame guga will be unseeded

True, but for some it's more traumatic. I mean Canas is 0-7 against Guga that makes it worse for him, but there definitely a lot of people who wouldn't want him as a 1st round opponent.

This could be said for Ferrero as well, but there are definitely some unseeded players who could easily have some fun at RG.

Becarina
04-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Roddick, of course.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Roddick, of course.

:haha: :haha:

Only if you were being serious.

Becarina
04-05-2005, 10:56 AM
I am.

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 10:57 AM
I am.

I don't believe you. If you are being serious, how is he going to win here?

Becarina
04-05-2005, 11:02 AM
he is prime, in shape and wonderful...

he will win.

why do you say he will not?

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 11:05 AM
he is prime, in shape and wonderful...

he will win.

You don't know much about tennis on clay do you if you think Roddick has a chance of winning RG.

If you think that, then Coria will win Wimbledon. :)

Becarina
04-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Roddick will win RG and Coria will win Wimbledon. (Although I think Roddick will win Wimbledon also.)

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Roddick will win RG and Coria will win Wimbledon. (Although I think Roddick will win Wimbledon also.)

Thanks for the laughs and I know you are not serious with that post.

Becarina
04-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the laughs and I know you are not serious with that post.

Andy's game is on the money...
and he was on Punk'd...he's so ready to win RG

SuperFurryAnimal
04-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I hope Guga can win it again, and if not, I'd say Rafa has huge chances! :)

TheMightyFed
04-05-2005, 11:43 AM
If Roddick wins Roland Garros this year, there will be a few suicides in Spain and Argentina I think... ;)

Becarina
04-05-2005, 11:45 AM
If Roddick wins Roland Garros this year, there will be a few suicides in Spain and Argentina I think... ;)

watch

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 11:56 AM

Only if the tournament was rigged would he win. :)

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes but on the other hand Wimbledon grass has been slowed right down and the quality of grass courters right now isnt deep at all so there is no reason why good clay courters shouldnt be reaching the second week consistently.

Yes, there aren't many specialist grasscourters around and it's not slow enough, but they should be turning up to the event, we'll talk about this subject another time.

Thats true although the skills required to win on Rebound Ace are sifnificantly different from grass skills.

This is true and is more of a neutral service than the hardcourts.

sigmagirl91
04-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Only if the tournament was rigged would he win. :)

When the clay actually plays like hard asphalt, Roddick will have a chance. Until then....ummm.....not.

sigmagirl91
04-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Andy's game is on the money...
and he was on Punk'd...he's so ready to win RG

OK....you're kidding, right? I don't have to take this seriously, right? :devil:

sigmagirl91
04-05-2005, 02:08 PM
On a serious note, I think it will be Roger.

SwiSha
04-05-2005, 02:11 PM
on a not so serious note , i hope it will be Mayer...:banana:

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 02:12 PM
Florian Mayer the unorthodox German. I have to say I like to see him play and you never know he is someone who could win a few rounds, though I am not sure about the stamina.

SwiSha
04-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Florian Mayer the unorthodox German. I have to say I like to see him play and you never know he is someone who could win a few rounds, though I am not sure about the stamina.

agreed ...i just love seeing him play ...like u said it ...unorthodox and exciting game on clay ..

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 02:17 PM
agreed ...i just love seeing him play ...like u said it ...unorthodox and exciting game on clay ..

Santoro is retiring and Mayer can step in his place for the unorthodox style with his cool dropshots. He has had a hard start to the year, but he picked it up in Indian Wells and the challenge is for him to build on that performance.

Bibir
04-05-2005, 04:07 PM
It's not like he can't play on the surface, but look at what happened to him last year when he played those 5 setters he wasn't strong or good enough to beat Nalbandian.

Do you remember his :help: draw?...Callieri, Mantilla (in two days), Starace, Nalbandian.
There is always a part of luck in Grand Slam, especially RG.
His fitness was ok but the draw was just horrible and even if he used gamesmanship, the blisters were real...and you know how he's easily bothered...
He made it to the R16...and lost against a very good Nalbandian..there is no shame.

And that's part of the game...If you want to win RG...You have to deal with the weather, the rain that makes the court slower, the possibly bad draw, the fitness, you have to make your matches as short as you can because these 2 weeks are VERY long.

I'm really surprised you didn't remember that Marat made semis in 2002. :p

Did you see that match against Ferrero?
Do you think he was outplayed or he OAFed? ;)

Sincerely, it was sad to watch... the Marat Safin Circus Show LIVE. :sad:

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Do you remember his :help: draw?...Callieri, Mantilla (in two days), Starace, Nalbandian.
There is always a part of luck in Grand Slam, especially RG.
His fitness was ok but the draw was just horrible and even if he used gamesmanship, the blisters were real...and you know how he's easily bothered...
He made it to the R16...and lost against a very good Nalbandian..there is no shame.

Calleri retired with an injury and Mantilla well Felix had more than enough chances to put Marat away. They weren't at their best and neither was Marat, but he has to deal with that and not everyone can get Agassi like draws all the time.

Blisters well he shouldn't have been treated for that, but that's another problem with the rule. As for Nalbandian it's the only time Marat has ever lost to him, but he didn't lose to Mutis.

And that's part of the game...If you want to win RG...You have to deal with the weather, the rain that makes the court slower, the possibly bad draw, the fitness, you have to make your matches as short as you can because these 2 weeks are VERY long.

I'm really surprised you didn't remember that Marat made semis in 2002. :p

Did you see that match against Ferrero?
Do you think he was outplayed or he OAFed? ;)

Sincerely, it was sad to watch... the Marat Safin Circus Show LIVE. :sad:

It was on oversight as I was too interested in the other semi final between Costa and Corretja and forgot about the other one, though I did see it later. It doesn't matter Ferrero was too good on that day.

When he tanked to Grant Stafford that was shocking.

Bibir
04-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Calleri retired with an injury and Mantilla well Felix had more than enough chances to put Marat away. They weren't at their best and neither was Marat, but he has to deal with that and not everyone can get Agassi like draws all the time.
I'm not making excuses for last year...As I said that's part of the game..and Nalbandian was too good that day.

Actually, I'm very proud of Marat BECAUSE he was far from his best before RG...He was very depressed after Hamburg...But he managed to make it to the second week..I wasn't really positive considering his draw and his state of mind.
He lost...but he fought well...and didn't give up.

It was on oversight as I was too interested in the other semi final between Costa and Corretja and forgot about the other one, though I did see it later. It doesn't matter Ferrero was too good on that day.

I know this match by heart...and I'm not biased...believe me Ferrero was far from his best...he made lots of errors too...But Safin gave him everything.
Happy Christmas all over the court!

Action Jackson
04-05-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm not making excuses for last year...As I said that's part of the game..and Nalbandian was too good that day.

I never said you were.

Actually, I'm very proud of Marat BECAUSE he was far from his best before RG...He was very depressed after Hamburg...But he managed to make it to the second week..I wasn't really positive considering his draw and his state of mind.
He lost...but he fought well...and didn't give up.

He didn't give up in the Nalbandian match, but couldn't do the job, unlike some he didn't have it easy or complained it about, he used whatever tactics he could to get through these matches.

I know this match by heart...and I'm not biased...believe me Ferrero was far from his best...he made lots of errors too...But Safin gave him everything.
Happy Christmas all over the court!

Ferrero did enough to win and that is all that counts, though he did have some help.

alexito
04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
federer same sampras, never win rolang garros.

missroddickfan
04-05-2005, 06:31 PM
safin will win
if he wont go outta brain :)

Chloe le Bopper
04-05-2005, 08:11 PM
I think it's safe to say that Safin has never really lost a match at Roland Garros. He's simply given them all away.

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-05-2005, 09:29 PM
I think it's safe to say that Safin has never really lost a match at Roland Garros. He's simply given them all away.Substitute "Roland Garros" with "anywhere" and I might agree with you.

Generous guy, Marat is. Almost like Coria.

Raquel
04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
I want Roger to win Roland Garros more than anything else this year but when I read the question my instinct was to automatically think Coria. If he is healthy and remembers to drink water this time (!) he is at least in the top 2 favourites. I think last year's final will just make him even more determined and gritty.

RogiFan88
04-05-2005, 09:46 PM

what, tragedy instead of farce? :p

Sjengster
04-05-2005, 09:50 PM
I think it's safe to say that Safin has never really lost a match at Roland Garros. He's simply given them all away.

Pioline, Hrbaty, Norman, Santoro, Ferrero, Nalbandian... boy, he's OAFed against some useless nobodies at RG, hasn't he?

makro120
04-05-2005, 09:51 PM
federer same sampras, never win rolang garros.

Federer doesn't have much in common with Sampras when it comes to how he plays tennis. I don't know why it is "Federer same Sampras", you with an Agassi avatar should know Federer is a better clay player than Agassi ever was. Federer will win RG, it is only a matter of time.

RogiFan88
04-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Has any player ever won RG the first time they played it? Guga? Chang?

makro120
04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Guga definetly, don't know about Chang.

roisin
04-05-2005, 10:31 PM
juan carlos ferrero....
...hopefully :)

Bibir
04-05-2005, 11:28 PM
As you want...

But I was only talking about that semifinal against Ferrero...And that was "from my so biased point of view" the only match in 6 years of Roland Garros he OAFed.

...Not that bad!

Bibir
04-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Pioline, Hrbaty, Norman, Santoro, Ferrero, Nalbandian... boy, he's OAFed against some useless nobodies at RG, hasn't he?
Who said that?...Not me...Please! I was only talking about ONE AND UNIQUE top player...And that was your number 5...FERRERO.

Marat's fans are not always making excuses for his losses...Don't generalize!

Sjengster
04-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Who said that?...Not me...Please! I was only talking about ONE AND UNIQUE top player...And that was your number 5...FERRERO.

Marat's fans are not always making excuses for his losses...Don't generalize!

I was just acting as Chloe's echo, so don't mind me.

Bibir
04-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Woow..Sorry...I couldn't hear the echo...Sometimes my ears are blocked you know.

renatoal
04-06-2005, 01:04 AM
I voted for Guga, and I think the champion will be Federer or Kuerten, all depends of the draw.

Chloe le Bopper
04-06-2005, 01:29 AM
Okay, I didn't mean to pick on Bibar as much as it appeared. I was just sort of going with what appearts to be the general sentiment of a number of Marat fans here - perhaps not Bibar herself. I don't take it back, but i do offer and apology to Bibar, since it came across that I was going out of my way to pick on her/him.

Bibir
04-06-2005, 02:01 AM
Okay, I didn't mean to pick on Bibar as much as it appeared. I was just sort of going with what appearts to be the general sentiment of a number of Marat fans here - perhaps not Bibar herself. I don't take it back, but i do offer and apology to Bibar, since it came across that I was going out of my way to pick on her/him.
No big deal Coleh... You were teasing and I took it personally...I thought you (Coleh) were reffering to me as I was the only biased Marat fan around. :)

For the record, Bibir..or Bibar(you seem to like it more!:p ) is a "she". :wavey:

Tennis Fool
04-06-2005, 02:22 AM
No big deal Coleh... You were teasing and I took it personally...I thought you (Coleh) were reffering to me as I was the only biased Marat fan around. :)

For the record, Bibir..or Bibar(you seem to like it more!:p ) is a "she". :wavey:
Actually it's "Babar" as in the Elephant :p

Sjengster
04-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Ah, Babar! I remember those stories from when I was a kid. So odd, so charming, so eclectic... so French.

Chloe le Bopper
04-06-2005, 03:07 AM
Yes, it appears I was mixing up Babar and Bibir :D

bad gambler
04-06-2005, 03:16 AM
i loved babar when i was a kid and his friend arthur as well :D :D

tennisguru
04-06-2005, 05:16 AM
I think these players have a good chance to win Ronald Garros...in the same order as they are ranked here....
1) Roger Federer (Is going to win 2 out of 3 masters on the clay that will give him enough compitition to win red clay championship)

2) Rafael Nadal (If he can keep himself fit and get through early rounds, could be a threat)
3) Coria (All depends on how he performs in masters, surprisingly kept himself away from the clay till date this season, so not sure how he will match Nadal, Coria's chances will go down, if Roger makes to the quarters + rounds).

Roddick will go out in 2nd round to some spaniard player....
Nalbandian will go out in 3rd or 4th round.....
Safin ....well you can not predict anything about this guy, nothing is impossible for safin........including 1st round exit in straight set.

but I really think Roger is going to open his account of the grand slams with french trophy.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 06:01 AM
Has any player ever won RG the first time they played it? Guga? Chang?

Wilander won it the first time he played it in 82, and he is also the only guy to win the junior event the previous year then win the senior event.

Guga won at it the second time as he lost in 1R in 96.

drf716
04-06-2005, 06:20 AM
marat is a wildcard as always and always will be

Chloe le Bopper
04-06-2005, 06:38 AM
Did I already say that I doubt Rafa will win this year? Like, seriously doubt? I would be beyond thrilled if he did, but I don't see it happening. People are jumping the gun on him and need to be patient and remember that he's young and still has parts of his game that need to be improved.

MrOschie
04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
GUGA =D :woohoo:

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 10:39 AM
Did I already say that I doubt Rafa will win this year? Like, seriously doubt? I would be beyond thrilled if he did, but I don't see it happening. People are jumping the gun on him and need to be patient and remember that he's young and still has parts of his game that need to be improved.

Stop being reasonable and if he wins it will be down to drugs.

Bibir
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
Actually it's "Babar" as in the Elephant :p
unmasked! :bolt:

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
Guga definetly, don't know about Chang.

Guga and Chang are definitely wrong.

Guga lost in the 1st round in 96
Chang lost in the 3rd round in 88

Why do you have Federer in your siggy for winning 4 Slams this year? It looks a bit silly considering the best he can win is 3.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 02:34 PM
what, tragedy instead of farce? :p

I just hope if he makes that stage again he doesn't pull something like this.

knight_ley
04-06-2005, 02:59 PM
i voted for rafa, cuz i think he has an very good shot at it and he is the one i'd like to see win it most :angel: if he keeps up the level of play he's at right now, i think he has a definate shot at winning it.

dylan24
04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
FED EX

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 03:14 PM
FED EX

Got the courage to bet on that?

Sjengster
04-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Chang lost in the 3rd round in 89

I think someone needs the love of the Lord to remind them of Chang's victory. ;)

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 06:29 PM
I think someone needs the love of the Lord to remind them of Chang's victory. ;)

No, he just loves JesusFed.

Geniey2g
04-06-2005, 07:27 PM
I never said it was quality tennis the final, but if you didn't find it drama filled or exciting then that's your problem.

I agree with this; I think last year's final was one of the best/most exciting I've ever seen.

In answer to the thread's original question, I will put my faith in Rafa and vote for him. However, I'll probably be able to tell you my firm pick once the season begins.

Action Jackson
04-06-2005, 07:29 PM
There is still plenty of time to vote, and once Monte Carlo starts then more things will start happening.

Plastic Bertrand
04-08-2005, 04:44 AM
Hopefully Nadal won't get himself injured and actually play Roland Garros this year. It's sort of funny at the moment, there are usual bandwagon jumpers, then there are the ones saying Nadal can only play on clay, yet he makes the final of a TMS on hardcourt, and 4th round of the Aus Open.

For the record I don't think he will win, but I just want to see him in the field.

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 05:38 AM

Would you stop speaking sense, as the Nadal bandwagon needs more passengers and then we all roll along the Nadal railway of success.

Sidenote: Nadal, Coria, Gaudio and Federer are in the quarters of Monte Carlo which clearly is the best guide out of the 3 TMS events as to Roland Garros success and no this does not mean it's a 100 per cent success.

KTF
04-15-2005, 06:06 AM
of COUSE Roger Federer will win Roland Garros !!!!!!!!!!!! NO DOUBT
also US Open & Wim Open .............................

NATAS81
04-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Wimbledon not Wim Open.

And, Coria, Gaudio or Nadal will win RG.

dylan24
04-17-2005, 03:05 PM
i bet on federer to win
a couple weeks ago.
i think i'm going to also take nadal to win.
i just hope federer and nadal are on opposite sides of the draw so they
could potentially play in the finals

dylan24
04-17-2005, 05:38 PM
my french open bets
20 units on federer to win at +312.5
15 units on nadal at +475

garylanders
04-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Nadal pays x17 on vbet, 4.25 on Unibet, wish it was the other way around

Bilbo
04-17-2005, 05:43 PM
my french open bets
20 units on federer to win at +312.5
15 units on nadal at +475

Federer's style of play is not suited for clay.

If I would chose 1 I would take Coria like I did last year.

MajorcanBoy89
04-17-2005, 06:36 PM
A MAJORCAN FINAL!

MOYÀ v NADAL!

Whistleway
04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
I am suprised to see Carlos Moya get so few love and so few votes. Comeon MTF !!! :(

dylan24
04-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Federer's style of play is not suited for clay.

If I would chose 1 I would take Coria like I did last year.

i had a lot on coria to win last year.
payout would have been nearly 80 units
and he fucking choked.

Adman
04-17-2005, 08:28 PM
If Federer doesn't win at Roland Garros I don't know what he would do due to the fact that this is the only slam that he hasn't won.

bad gambler
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
I am suprised to see Carlos Moya get so few love and so few votes. Comeon MTF !!! :(

there is a reason for that

Bilbo
04-17-2005, 10:45 PM
i had a lot on coria to win last year.
payout would have been nearly 80 units
and he fucking choked.

I was on Coria too inclusive Federer at the AO this year. Two brutal losses/chokes.

Horatio Caine
04-17-2005, 10:52 PM
Nadal is looking more and more like a winner...but he might be a little too tired to go the whole way if he dominates the clay like this...

Tennis Fool
04-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Based on statistical probability it will be Coria. Nadal will win in in the next two years.

But as always, Marat will thow a wrench in the works and WIN THE ENTIRE ENCHILADA BABY

Bibir
04-17-2005, 11:41 PM
But as always, Marat will thow a wrench in the works and WIN THE ENTIRE ENCHILADA BABY
What a WONDERFUL perspective!

I expect numerous 5setters...MARAThon Man! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ernaehrung/food-smiley-007.gif

sigmagirl91
04-18-2005, 12:01 AM
Based on statistical probability it will be Coria. Nadal will win in in the next two years.

Hope always springs eternal.

NATAS81
04-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Nadal favorite, then Federer, then Coria.

Not many else playing well at this point in time.

makro120
04-18-2005, 02:21 AM
The draw will be very important, if Federer faces Nadal in the last 16 or something I will be shaking my boots. Federer and Nadal must face each other in the final when Federer is all warmed up on RG and will go in with his amazing winning mentality to win another final and historical grand slam title. There is no chanse Federer will play bad for some sets and not be on his top in a grand slam final.

gabnouwop
04-18-2005, 02:22 AM
hopefully Marat :)

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 06:30 AM
It would be good to see a surprise winner, but I am not sure if that will happen for 2 years in a row.

World Beater
04-18-2005, 06:37 AM
This years french will be extremely interesting. I think federer will make it out of the opening rounds somehow, and it will be tough to stop him. Federer will not lose like he did last yr, in straights. If he is going down, he is going down hard in 5. He will be getting down and dirty, and i think we will see how far he is on clay with respect to coria, nadal, gaudio and others.

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Federer has to prove he can do that on clay and be prepared to hang around and grind it out and there are some very tough players on the surface that he could meet early and take a lot out of him.

World Beater
04-18-2005, 06:48 AM
Federer has to prove he can do that on clay and be prepared to hang around and grind it out and there are some very tough players on the surface that he could meet early and take a lot out of him.

True, but that nadal match proved something to himself as well as everyone. It might be a turning point that could be a valuable flag if he does well at the french.

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 06:50 AM
True, but that nadal match proved something to himself as well as everyone. It might be a turning point that could be a valuable flag if he does well at the french.

It's different doing it on a hardcourt than on clay, if you want to read all the reasons for and against I might have to bump the Federer/RG thread in here.

He has great defensive play on the other surfaces, but he needs to improve that on clay.

World Beater
04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
It's different doing it on a hardcourt than on clay, if you want to read all the reasons for and against I might have to bump the Federer/RG thread in here.

He has great defensive play on the other surfaces, but he needs to improve that on clay.

Yes, it is different. But coming back from two sets will give him some confidence that may prove valuable. It is a milestone that may lead him to glory at RG in future.

Like you said previously, its a state of mind thing for roger. He has to stop making excuses and just slug it out when he isnt playing his "A" game. He did this against nadal which is why i mentioned it as something important.

He may very well play nadal at the french, and that match may have even more significance.

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 07:06 AM
I am only talking about the relevance to clay form here for Federer, that is the season where we are and I just hope he is prepared to use his gifts to his advantage on thi surface.

safinaferrero
04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
i would love a finale
safin vs ferrero

oxy
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
i would love a finale
safin vs ferrero
i second that!!! :)

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 03:16 PM
After Monte Carlo

Federer and Nadal are on 49 votes
Coria is on 44 votes

Micca
04-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Guillermo Coria! Definitly! :D He was soooo close last year, and this year he's gonna win :D

Elam
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Wishful thinking : Ferrero

Rezandinah
04-18-2005, 04:09 PM
Nadal, if he is not injured like last year...

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
The Nadal bandwagon grows and grows.

Rezandinah
04-18-2005, 04:16 PM

Especially since his last match ;)

oxy
04-18-2005, 04:20 PM
I like the fact that Ferrero is the underdog for RG now hahahahaha cos RG has always been an underdog GS!!!!

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Anyway, I think Gaudio would be destroyed if he faced Coria in RG or any other clay event.

Why is that then?

Bibir
04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Too bad...I missed the train!

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 09:07 PM
Too bad...I missed the train!

It's still picking up passengers.

joske
04-18-2005, 09:11 PM
not very realistic (rofl) but JC should win it again.. get him back near the (OTHER) top players

Action Jackson
04-18-2005, 09:21 PM
joske, even with his form now I still wouldn't write him off.

dylan24
04-18-2005, 11:07 PM
I was on Coria too inclusive Federer at the AO this year. Two brutal losses/chokes.

well fed's loss to safin was less of a choke compared to coria's choke of all time last year at the french.
at least roger made me back the money i lost on him at the AO w/ his wins
in IW and Miami.

Bilbo
04-19-2005, 12:46 AM
well fed's loss to safin was less of a choke compared to coria's choke of all time last year at the french.
at least roger made me back the money i lost on him at the AO w/ his wins
in IW and Miami.

well, coria was handicapped and federer not. with federer's mental strength and own serve you could expect him to win that match but he didn't. federer also was on top of that point until safin hit the lob. one hell of a blow by federer.

in both of his losses this year he choked.

alfonsojose
04-19-2005, 01:28 AM
Davydenko, Andre or Gasquet.

Leo
04-19-2005, 01:34 AM
My guess is Coria. Ferrero flubbed his first French final, too.

Alliteration not on purpose!

raphael
04-19-2005, 01:39 AM
andy roddick

Devotee
04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
I still think Coria could pull out an RG win if he doesn't take the Monte Carlo loss too hard.

***Daniela86***
04-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I think that there will be a Marat-Rafael final and that the winner will be MARAT because he has more experience with long 5 sets matchs. I actually think he is the player who can endure the best long matchs.
As for Federer, I think he will lose before the final because he is not that good on clay ad also because he always had a bad luck at Paris .

Devotee
04-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Nadal is upping his numbers in this poll day by day.

Bibir
04-19-2005, 09:17 PM
I think that there will be a Marat-Rafael final and that the winner will be MARAT because he has more experience with long 5 sets matchs. I actually think he is the player who can endure the best long matchs.

But he still can lose in 3. :p

Action Jackson
04-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Time to give this a bump as two of the contenders this week had early exists.

Safin losing to Chucho Acasuso and having a crisis of confidence and Coria losing to Calleri in Barcelona. It's still a bit early to read into it too much, but as always there are the panic merchants.

Chloe le Bopper
04-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I will stick with Coria for another couple weeks yet. I'll see how the rest of the warmup season goes before jumping to conclusions.

I just refuse to get on the "Nadal is going to win!" wagon, no matter how much of a fan I am. He's too big of a question mark.

Exodus
04-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Now everybody expect Nadal to win RG but you guys are forgetting Federer!!!

Nathaliia
04-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Nadal is a too big favourite to win, I still think it would be one of Argentinians (however this season belongs to Spaniards maybe because I'm to busy with studies and I can't concentrate on mind-support), well I voted for Gaudio anyway (I was the tenth person for him). I'm not sure Rafael can be able to deal with best of five matches... That's what already has been posted. Juan Carlos Ferrero was also the favourite to win few years ago but he didn't do this at once, the same Coria in last two consecutive years. I do like Rafa, I think he's nice, but I beliee Coria can finally make it, Gaudio is close to do it and my heart goes for Nalbandian to break through in slams. Don't forget about Puerta and Canas :)
I really don't think Roger can make it, sorry. I think he'll never win RG, like great Pete Sampras.

Chloe le Bopper
04-21-2005, 06:03 PM
He has 51 votes. I wouldn't call that "forgetting", unless by forgetting you mean "considering the possibility of other contenders!".

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I feel pretty confident that Coria will improve his form till RG and will be one of the major contenders. But concerning Safin I'm very much worried now - his confidence is low (however the hell that happened) and he's out of match practice. Of course, him being Safin, he can all of a sudden surge to life at RG, but I'm not really counting on it.

Deboogle!.
04-21-2005, 06:55 PM
Max isn't on the list :(

Skyward
04-21-2005, 08:53 PM
At this point I can see a bunch of contenders, but not a winner, or a finalist.

hythger
04-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Voted for Safin but I guess it's a long shot since Nadal is very strong on clay!
Anyway, go Safin ;)

Denaon
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Gaudio is still playing consistently, losing to Nadal was just a fluff, he was out the match, Rafa was completely in. Gaudio confirming a good performance during clay season is top fave!

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 07:36 AM
The less that people talk about Gaudio the better is.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 09:52 AM
So far the votes are
Nadal 58
Federer 52
Coria 49

This seems like the majority of the voters here so far think there will be a first time RG winner here, though a lot can change in this time.

TheMightyFed
04-22-2005, 09:55 AM
So far the votes are
Nadal 58
Federer 52
Coria 49

This seems like the majority of the voters here so far think there will be a first time RG winner here, though a lot can change in this time.
It's been a long time I think that a non "claycourter" like Fed has been a big favorite in RG, hasn't it ? (before 04)

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 09:58 AM
It's been a long time I think that a non "claycourter" like Fed has been a big favorite in RG, hasn't it ? (before 04)

He isn't the big favourite, it's the Nadal he plays well for 2 weeks he must win Roland Garros bandwagon that is in front and the media aren't helping in this regard either.

Dirk
04-22-2005, 01:56 PM
:rolls: GWH you are too much. Are the ticket prices going sky high on the bandwagon now that he won Carlo?

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 02:16 PM
:rolls: GWH you are too much. Are the ticket prices going sky high on the bandwagon now that he won Carlo?

If he wins Rome they'll be higher than an African country's national debt.

Puschkin
04-22-2005, 02:43 PM
I am not :p , but still too early to vote.

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 02:51 PM
The # 1 player in the world isn't forgotten.

^Sue^
04-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I dislike nadal.

^Sue^
04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
ROGER FEDeRER WILL WIN THIS!!YEAH!!

Action Jackson
04-22-2005, 03:55 PM
With Ferrero's win today, this is the reason you don't totally write off players of his calibre.