Roger Federer defeats Andre Agassi 6-4, 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Federer defeats Andre Agassi 6-4, 6-3

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 01:35 AM
Congrats Roger :banana:

Great match, Andre!

Awesome fighting spirit from both men!

In the second set, opportunities to break for Federer in the second game 15-40, but a bad volley does not help his cause. Andre takes advantage of it and holds.

In the seventh game, Agassi is up 0-40, but Federer manages to hold to go up 4-3.

In the following game, Federer breaks and then serves for the set.

First time in Andre Agassi's career he loses 7 consecutive matches to the same player (Lendl defeated him 6 times in a row).

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050402/capt.flkb10904020149.nasdaq_100_open_flkb109.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050402/i/r620262027.jpg

http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20050402/i/r3848414949.jpg

azinna
04-02-2005, 01:37 AM
Too many 2nd serves from Andre.

Other than that, truly incredible stuff from both players.

What I can't understand is how, after such a match, the score is 6-4, 6-3.........Just gotta :worship: to Roger.

adelaide
04-02-2005, 01:38 AM

What I can't understand is how, after such a match, the score is 6-4, 6-3.........
sometimes scores dont speak for the matches :awww:

nadal vs federer it is. it's going to be interesting...

MisterQ
04-02-2005, 01:40 AM
nice fight, Andre... but as azinna said, too many second serves :sad:

in general, well played by both

adeegee
04-02-2005, 01:41 AM
A truly great match. I don't know if Andre could've played better. But he still didn't take a set. How the hell is Rafa gonna beat this guy??

Corey Feldman
04-02-2005, 01:43 AM
:worship: rog, your a true champion..
Agassi :hatoff: keep up this good form...

euroka1
04-02-2005, 01:43 AM

What I can't understand is how, after such a match, the score is 6-4, 6-3.........

Many second serves from Federer too and they were also incredible sometimes. What a spectacular, high density match! The score indeed gives no indication. Thanks both for such a show.

Angle Queen
04-02-2005, 01:44 AM

What I can't understand is how, after such a match, the score is 6-4, 6-3.........4 and 3...that's just one break of serve. A bit deceptive, I'd agree. But no shame. Andre gave him a fight. Too many 2nds...and didn't break when he had the chance. Roger looked like he's...warmin' up...for yet another final.

Neely
04-02-2005, 01:45 AM
Well, that's the scoreline if there is one break each set for the player who is winning.

But in reality, we all know Federer could have won 6-1 6-2 or even easier, don't we? :angel: He just wanted to make it more interesting and therefore he always broke exactly at the end of the set, exactly when it was needed. Once at 4-4 and another time and 4-3 :p

concerning the outcome, nothing new... :yawn: ;)

Congrats to Andre, he made the semifinal, not bad. Just not good enough if you face Federer :shrug:

Billabong
04-02-2005, 01:47 AM
The match will be shown at 23:30 here, I can't wait to see it;)!

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 01:50 AM
The match will be shown at 23:30 here, I can't wait to see it;)!
It was an awesome match...

Very close in the final games of the first set,

the first games of the second

and the final games of the match.

oneandonlyhsn
04-02-2005, 01:53 AM
sometimes scores dont speak for the matches :awww:

nadal vs federer it is. it's going to be interesting...

You and me, since the start of this tournament I've wanted nothing but a Rafa-Fed final and thank God I am getting it.

mickymouse
04-02-2005, 01:54 AM
Andre played really well today, and you could tell he really wanted to win, but Roger somehow just managed to play the big points better.
Excellent effort from both players

Fergie
04-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Well don Rogi, great match :yeah: :worship:

PaulieM
04-02-2005, 01:58 AM
great match, both guys played really well. increadibly happy with the outcome :hatoff: rogi

naiwen
04-02-2005, 02:02 AM
Wow, he is the first guy having 7 wins over Andre in a row.
Rogi is just too good! :worship:

lunahielo
04-02-2005, 02:04 AM
Excellent match~~great tennis by both guys!
Congratulations, Rogi. Once more..well done! :)

NATAS81
04-02-2005, 02:09 AM
You've got to love Roger's great attitude. It goes without saying that he exemplifies all of the qualities of a champion who is certain to make noise for years to come. Not to mention the most dynamic shot-making tennis has ever seen. You can draw your own conclusion from a hat with all of the options Federer gives you with his wide variety of astounding attributes.

A hat which comfortably fits over the bald, burnt out head of Andre Agassi who was simply outplayed from the get-go - Proving most spectacularly with Federer's 2 aces in the 0-40 hold at 4-3 Roger.

You may enjoy the game Andre, but you cannot have your past accomplishments blind you from the truth any longer. It's time to bite the bullet and accept that Roger Federer is the most dominant, brilliant champion, with the arsenal of no other in tennis' history. You might enjoy seeing what your experience can do against such a genius, but you're only fooling yourself if you believe you have the game at such an age to compete with FedEx.

:wavey: 6-time Miami champ - You've been eclipsed in the South Beach Miami twilight

Rogiman
04-02-2005, 02:14 AM
You may enjoy the game Andre, but you cannot have your past accomplishments blind you from the truth any longer. It's time to bite the bullet and accept that Roger Federer is the most dominant, brilliant champion, with the arsenal of no other in tennis' history. You might enjoy seeing what your experience can do against such a genius, but you're only fooling yourself if you believe you have the game at such an age to compete with FedEx.

:wavey: 6-time Miami champ - You've been eclipsed in the South Beach Miami twilight

Andre would be the first to admit Roger is right now a much better player than him, I suppose, and meanwhile there are a select few others who can beat him, especially on this particular surface, so I see no reason why Andre should feel bad given his age :shrug:

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
Miami - The top-seeded Federer downed ninth-seeded American Andre Agassi 6-4, 6-3 in one hour and 21 minutes, while the 29th-seeded Nadal erased unseeded countryman David Ferrer by the same 6-4, 6-3 score.

Federer, the reigning Wimbledon, U.S. Open and Masters Cup titlist, ran his overall winning streak to 21 matches, which also includes a Masters Series shield at Indian Wells two weeks ago.

lucashg
04-02-2005, 02:26 AM
Great match, the second set was really good. It amazes me how cool Federer can be in such delicated times where he was down 0-40 in his game and fired up 2 aces in a row, and one more point to save them all. He still double-faulted once again in that game, but managed to hold.

Roger-No1, I saw some different stats. The match summary presented at the end of the match gave Federer 45 winners and 18 unforced errors to Agassi's 28 winners and 19 unforced errors. Roger had 6 aces (3 of them in the same game) and Agassi didn't have one, though he served well (in the first set, at least).

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 02:30 AM
Thanks, lucashg

This was a press release

ESPN gives Roger 45 winners and 8 aces

Andre 28 winners, 0 aces

lucashg
04-02-2005, 02:40 AM
Thanks, lucasg

This was a press release,

ESPN gives Roger 45 winners and 8 aces

That's true. 8 aces, he finished holding at 4-3 with 6, but had 2 more. :)

Art&Soul
04-02-2005, 02:42 AM
Well done Rogi, you've played the best match so far in Miami :) Andre played very well too and tried his best today but you're totally in control in big points. Keep it up Rogi, you can play better in the match with Nadal, he's such a good fighter and have an incredible run but i know you can handle it, Good luck my boy :D

RonE
04-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Wow, brilliant by Roger :worship:

Now just need to keep it up for one more match- he needs to bring his tightest, cleanest game on Sunday against Rafa, make no mistake. But he can do it. Allez! :banana:

Rogiman
04-02-2005, 03:15 AM
Where's Gigan when he's needed the most? :p

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 03:19 AM
When do they play?

Tomorrow or Sunday?

RonE
04-02-2005, 03:21 AM
When do they play?

Tomorrow or Sunday?

I would think Sunday- but this tournament is second only to the U.S. Open in terms of it's weird scheduling so go figure :shrug:

However if my memory serves me right, usually the semis in Miami are on Fridays with the final on Sunday.

Art&Soul
04-02-2005, 03:22 AM
When do they play?

Tomorrow or Sunday?

Sunday at 12.00 pm :wavey:

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I would think Sunday- but this tournament is second only to the U.S. Open in terms of it's weird scheduling so go figure :shrug:

However if my memory serves me right, usually the semis in Miami are on Fridays with the final on Sunday.
Weird!

Roger-No.1
04-02-2005, 03:30 AM
Sunday at 12.00 pm :wavey:
Thanks Art&Soul! :D

NYCtennisfan
04-02-2005, 03:44 AM
I didn't think Andre could hit more winners than errors against Federer but he did. I think the 1st serve % was a bit loo because Andre knew he had to go for it.

MissMoJo
04-02-2005, 03:48 AM
Where's Gigan when he's needed the most? :p
Dealing with the crashing at this moment

RonE
04-02-2005, 03:54 AM
I didn't think Andre could hit more winners than errors against Federer but he did. I think the 1st serve % was a bit loo because Andre knew he had to go for it.

He hit more winners than UE's and still gets beaten in straight sets? Wow :eek:

AgassiFan
04-02-2005, 04:58 AM
Nothing surprising about the outcome.

Agassi gave himself a chance, but a low 1st serve % (and still no aces) and mediocre 2nd serve returns did him in. I mean, when you're a better 1st serve returner than you are a 2nd serve returner, you've got problems. Andre choked on big points, Roger elevated his game - the rest is history.

Andre did win in the Aussie Open tune-up in straight sets in 2004, so there really isn't "7 in a row", but for some reason that exhibtion match is forgotten.

On to Houston.

Chloe le Bopper
04-02-2005, 05:02 AM
It's not forgotten. It's just that nobody cares. Because it was an exhibition.

Don't shoot the messenger! I'm just saying. I'm well aware that "just because it's an exhibition" doesn't mean that Roger didn't try

uNIVERSE mAN
04-02-2005, 05:03 AM
If exhibition wins counted they wouldn't be called exhibitions would they?

tennischick
04-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Nothing surprising about the outcome.

Agassi gave himself a chance, but a low 1st serve % (and still no aces) and mediocre 2nd serve returns did him in. I mean, when you're a better 1st serve returner than you are a 2nd serve returner, you've got problems. Andre choked on big points, Roger elevated his game - the rest is history.

agree that 'Dre missed too many first serves. i've come to interpret that as a sign of the amount of pressure he is feeling. i watched him tonite and found myself thinking of his failures against the 'Droid. terrific matches all -- but he didn't win. which is all that matters. and no matter how much Cliff and Pat try to force the issue, against my Rog our Andre looks mediocre. :bigcry:

robinhood
04-02-2005, 08:28 AM
agree that 'Dre missed too many first serves. i've come to interpret that as a sign of the amount of pressure he is feeling. i watched him tonite and found myself thinking of his failures against the 'Droid. terrific matches all -- but he didn't win. which is all that matters. and no matter how much Cliff and Pat try to force the issue, against my Rog our Andre looks mediocre. :bigcry:

Agreed on Drysdale and McEnroe trying TOO hard to rally Andre from the booth. In the beginning of the match, Drysdale said something like Federer looking tight because he felt "threatened" by Andre's level of play. Just as I was about to laugh at his comment, McEnroe said he didn't agree with that. Numerous times throughout the match, they kind of turned into an Agassi cheering squad, but at least, this time they had a reason to be. Andre did play a whole lot better than he did in Aussie where he was absolutely no match for Fed.
This match, on the other hand, provided some eye-popping stuff from both players. It was also interesting to see how Andre reacted to every close call. I rarely see him questioning line calls in other matches, but in this one, boy, at one point, I thought he was going to rip his shirt off or something. (Maybe a little exaggurated....)

Irish
04-02-2005, 01:16 PM
This match was tough for me to watch as they are my top two favs but did enjoy the great level of tennis.

Andre played alot better against Roger at AO though.

Experimentee
04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
Congrats to Roger, and there is nothing for Andre to be ashamed of. It sounds like a good match from him, but awesome tennis from Roger. It seems like Roger always has to bring his best to beat Andre. That was the toughest challnege he was going to get, and I thought Andre could win, but I guess not. I think Roger will take the title now and win Dubai, IW and Miami all in a row :eek:

Rogiman
04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
I think Roger will take the title now and win Dubai, IW and Miami all in a row :eek:

Don't forget Rotterdam ;)

loveit
04-02-2005, 04:04 PM
You've got to love Roger's great attitude. It goes without saying that he exemplifies all of the qualities of a champion who is certain to make noise for years to come. Not to mention the most dynamic shot-making tennis has ever seen. You can draw your own conclusion from a hat with all of the options Federer gives you with his wide variety of astounding attributes.

A hat which comfortably fits over the bald, burnt out head of Andre Agassi who was simply outplayed from the get-go - Proving most spectacularly with Federer's 2 aces in the 0-40 hold at 4-3 Roger.

Well said NATAS81 ;)

Daniel
04-02-2005, 09:34 PM
well done Roger :clap2: