Tennis Elbow (Epikondylitis) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis Elbow (Epikondylitis)

Jogy
04-01-2005, 03:21 PM
I so afraid that can get it of playing tennis :sad: some times I mean I have pain in my arm but I try to forgett it.

I just do not want to be unhealable ill in my arm. Is there something I can do when playing tennis?

Does somebody have ecxperience to heal it what to do?

Neely
04-01-2005, 03:37 PM
IMO not much you can do about it, it can be the risk coming along when you decide to play tennis (often). And I wouldn't say it's "unhealable", but let's agree on that it it could be very hard to get ridden of it.

A few little things you can do in order to try (better) preventing it:

- do careful but effective stretching of your shoulder and forearm tendons/muscles before and after(!) playing tennis. Repeat once.
- don't play string tensions like Haas or Roddick. Prefer softer ones, your arm will appreciate it
- play with vibration dampeners
- play not with a racket that is weight-orientated towards its "head"
- avoid big mishits as often as possible
- switch to a double handed backhand
- if it applies, check your tecnique... also improper technique and execution of the strokes can cause problems over long time
- try to use (more often) "swing" instead of plain power

BTW, Epikondylalgia could be misleading but I think what you know. You mean epicondylitis or simply what's called a "tennis elbow". You should rename it.

Personally, as of yet, I don't have experience with this problem yet. I'm not playing tennis often enough, I think :p

Jogy
04-01-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the correct word!

How is one-hand backhand more dangerous? Can you explains?

Neely
04-01-2005, 03:51 PM
How is one-hand backhand more dangerous? Can you explains?
Jogy, it's proven that tennis elbow is an "outside problem" of the elbow (near the elbow). And this side is typically pointing into the direction you are hiting your backhand, thus there is more pressure on this part. The laternal epicondylis is more used on your backhand side. It's no guarantee to avoid it, but playing a two-handed backhand is taking away some pressure from your other arm.

adeegee
04-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Can i ask what racquet you use?

Basically I started getting tennis elbow the minute I began to use the Babolat
Pure Drive Team racquet. I tried out a variety of different things....

Racquets - Some racquets just suit your arm a lot better than others. Find a place that lets you try out racquets and find one which suits you. I changed to the Head Liquidmetal Radical and I'm finding it not only a better racquet but I don't get tennis elbow anymore.
Supports - These are useless, don't bother with them.
Strings - Some strings are designed to be good for tennis elbow. I personally find the Babolat Tonic + strings were nice.

tennis elbow
04-01-2005, 08:21 PM
:awww: :unsure: :bolt: :confused:

well, what you can also try to do is strenght your forearm muscles with some specific exercises... a good one is to grab a sheet of newspaper and completely fold and smash it using only your hitting arm...

joeb_uk
04-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Elbow injuries are also very common in tennis, which is believed to be as much as 40-50% of recreational tennis players to gain an elbow injury (ITF, 2003).The Most common occurring elbow injury is lateral glenoid impigement, because the injury is such a common one in tennis, it has gained the name of tennis elbow.
Discomfort to a players arm comes from racket head vibration and not string vibration (ITF, 2003)

joeb_uk
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM

Basically I started getting tennis elbow the minute I began to use the Babolat
Pure Drive Team racquet. I tried out a variety of different things....

Racquets - Some racquets just suit your arm a lot better than others. Find a place that lets you try out racquets and find one which suits you. I changed to the Head Liquidmetal Radical and I'm finding it not only a better racquet but I don't get tennis elbow anymore.
Supports - These are useless, don't bother with them.
Strings - Some strings are designed to be good for tennis elbow. I personally find the Babolat Tonic + strings were nice.
Probably too much racket head vibration from the sledge hammer, would be interesting to see how much less there is in the head

RogerRocks
04-01-2005, 09:42 PM
Jogy, lateral epicondylitis is no way unhealable. It's true that it's a very common desease and quite a lot people get to deal with it. Theoretically you could just get it from cutting meet.

However, if you have the feeling you have lateral epicondylitis you should attend a doctor. He will do some examinations such as pressing directly on the bony prominence on the outside part of the elbow and ask you to lift the wrist or fingers against pressure to see if that causes pain. If it does, pain relief will be the first step of the threatment. You may apply ice to the lateral part of the elbow and take anti-inflammatory medication, acetaminophen.
The doctor may also want you to use braces so that muscles and tendons get to rest.
If the symptoms don't improve after about a month, a next step would be corticosteroid injections around the elbow area. It's relatively safe if you avoid multiple injections in one specific site. Now the pain should be clearly relieved and you can start phsyical therapy like gradual strengthening of the affected muscles and tendons. In most cases, recovery will be succesfully completed then.

Surgical threatment is considered only in patients who have incapacitating pain that did not get better after at least six months of nonoperative treatment. Diseased tendon tissue will be removed and normal tendon tissue will be reattached to the bone. It's just a small surgery. Mostly it's done under regional anesthesia through a small incision. It takes about 30 minutes and you would go home then and come back after a week to get the sutures removed. No more then 4 or 5 months after the surgery you should be fully recovered and you can go back into all sort of activisties.

Hope this helps. Was it too long and boring? :lol:

Poljud
04-02-2005, 12:48 AM
Ive suffered from it pretty badly and missed an entire season with it. The best advice i can give you is dont play through it, if its hurting, give it some rest, otherwise it just gets worse and worse. I played through it to the point where it was painful to write. Arm braces do help, but sufficient rest is needed first. Also warm up your arm by stretches before playing tennis, and do some really slow serves in the warm up just to warm up a bit. I really aggravated my injury by going for a serve early on in a match after being out for weeks.

adeegee
04-02-2005, 12:55 AM
Has anyone tried acupuncture? I know someone that did and said it helped immensely, never had it myself though.

Plastic Bertrand
04-02-2005, 05:55 AM
I thought it was also called bursitis. As the others have said rest is the only effective thing for it, though as the other posters have suggested there are good ways of reducing the risks of tennis elbow.

ae wowww
04-02-2005, 06:50 AM
Use natural gut, strung at like 45 lbs (:lol: ) and you can get just straps... try to get one with like a piece of metal that goes from your forearm up to the other side of your elbow. Ice it after if it hurts. I've never had it, so I'm just guessing...

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Make sure you don't use a racquet that is too heavy that it puts strain on the tendons. Get treatment and also take some anti-inflammatory tablets to help reduce the swelling, though if you are a hotshot superstar then that last suggestion mightn't be helpful.

I've had it and it's not fun, especially when you can't see the point of your elbow because it's swollen so much.

El Legenda
04-02-2005, 09:57 AM
my wrist starts killing me around hour of tennis... dont know why

Frooty_Bazooty
04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
The main cause of tennis elbow is poor backhand technique, i really suggest you relook your one handed technique or switch to a double handed one

This is coming from a physiotherapist ;)

Action Jackson
04-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Frooty, I am glad you said main reason.

erik-the-red
04-02-2005, 01:09 PM
You definitely want to avoid a light, head-heavy, and stiff frame.

That will eat up your arm like popcorn.

Jogy
04-02-2005, 08:28 PM
I playing a Dunlop 100G racket with Kirschbaum Super Smash strings.

Hope this helps. Was it too long and boring?
No it was okay. Everything appreciated :worship:

Jogy
04-02-2005, 08:37 PM
The main cause of tennis elbow is poor backhand technique, i really suggest you relook your one handed technique or switch to a double handed one

This is coming from a physiotherapist ;)
Good to hearing this is coming from somebody who must knows it.
Sorry Neely that I not believed you earlier when you sayed that :rolleyes:

Thank to everybody of whole thread who tryed help me! :worship:
I must be more careful for future, maybe stop for a while or play more less (I play around two hours about two(winter) to four(summer season) times a week).
I not like to go to doctors much, but I will get help. Not that it is much longer or almost permanent.

NINA_BCN
04-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Good to hearing this is coming from somebody who must knows it.
Sorry Neely that I not believed you earlier when you sayed that :rolleyes:

Thank to everybody of whole thread who tryed help me! :worship:
I must be more careful for future, maybe stop for a while or play more less (I play around two hours about two(winter) to four(summer season) times a week).
I not like to go to doctors much, but I will get help. Not that it is much longer or almost permanent.

Frooty_Bazooty is right. The physiotherapist can help you to solve your elbow problem with some easy techniques. ;) I know what I'm talking about; I'm physio. :p

Good luck!!!! :yeah:

BHH1988
04-03-2005, 01:55 AM
I have had tendinitis in my hip flexers and around my elbows too. I can give you a few clear, surefire solutions to fixing your problem: trust me, it worked and it still works for me!

stretch the area as best as you can before practice
Every night, set aside some time before going to bed to strengthen the area. Stretch it, then get a therapeutic band and do exercises to strengthen the area. Do this every night and work it pretty hard, especially the first few times. It might be better to go to a physical therapist if you are unfamiliar with what exercises to do or for professional advise.
Try changing your strings. That could make a big difference.

good luck with your elbow. Have confidence that it'll heal and do those exercises and stretches. It really works I promise!