Nadal: the true rival ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal: the true rival ?

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 06:43 AM
If both Nadal and Federer reach the finals, that could be interesting: Nadal has won their first encounter and has not been yet "federerized" like Hewitt and Roddick.
Could he be the true rival of Fed in the coming years ?
-he's quite versatile, getting good results on hard courts
-his favourite surface is clay, which allows him to build confidence outside Fed's territory like in South America
-He's a fighter like Hewitt but attacks much more and has a lethal weapon in his forehand
-He's much steadier mentally than a Safin
-He likes big events' pressure and big crowds as we've seen in DC
-force or weakness? he can still develop areas in his game like his service
-He's highly motivated by Wimby, meaning he's ready to do whatever needs to be done to do well there

Overall we can hope a good H2H battle between the two, starting maybe by a final in Miami.
What do you think ? ;)

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 06:44 AM
1-0 Nadal

bad gambler
03-31-2005, 06:44 AM
not yet

robinhood
03-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Yeah, too early to tell. But it will be very interesting to see how he plays against Fed, should both reach the finals.

~EMiLiTA~
03-31-2005, 06:48 AM
possibly in the coming years...but Rafa's weakness is his fitness...as long as he can stay fit, who knows what can happen!

Smankyou
03-31-2005, 07:02 AM
In the years to come, yes.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 07:07 AM
no not yet..He needs to play Roger 4 times in 1month...3 times in a final and lose all 4...then its a rival. :)

Puschkin
03-31-2005, 07:08 AM
I agree with mdhubert's analysis. Nadal is certainly on his way up and he has great potential and he doesnot look like a classic claycourter to me. However, it is a different story to get to the top and to stay there. So, only time will tell...

Argentine girl
03-31-2005, 07:20 AM
Let pray for Fed and Rafa reach the final first, then we will have many things to discuss.
I will hire someone to kidnap Ferrer.

NYCtennisfan
03-31-2005, 07:24 AM
possibly in the coming years...but Rafa's weakness is his fitness...as long as he can stay fit, who knows what can happen!

His weakness is also his serve. Rafa's big problem against Federer will be that Federer will be getting almost all the serves back and be in the point. If he is on (like usual) he dominates the play. This is what happens to Hewitt. Fed gets the ball back in play and then dominates. Rafa would have to hold serve many times when Federer is threatening at 30 or at deuce. Should be interesting if both get to the final.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Rafa will be tested on true TMS hardcounts over summer. can't wait to see how young wipper snaper does at Toronto and Cincy this year and the Open)

Nacho
03-31-2005, 07:45 AM
someone HAS TO stop roger's amazing run at the finals (was it 17 wins in a row?) so I'm hoping rafa will sooner or later :angel:

CocoT_Do
03-31-2005, 07:51 AM
yes a thrue rival but especially in RG

Becarina
03-31-2005, 07:52 AM
not yet

agreed. He's not ready yet

syd
03-31-2005, 07:52 AM
someone HAS TO stop roger's amazing run at the finals (was it 17 wins in a row?)
Great if nadal could do it !!!!!
Good luck rafa ! :yeah:

chocc0
03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
time will tell I HOPE SO!

mandoura
03-31-2005, 08:24 AM
I agree with most of your post, md. But I think, even if Nadal wins the final, it will still be pre-mature to call it a rivalry.

As BG said, not yet. But eventually, yes by all means. They bare both terrific somewhat "stable" players.

Auscon
03-31-2005, 08:29 AM
way too early to call......maybe in the future...he definitely has alot going for him, except on serve, but that can always be improved

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 08:40 AM
In this perspective, I think Roland Garros is gonna be explosive this year...
the remaining Slam for Club Fed, the best chance and potential breakthrough slam for Rafi :drool: :yippee:

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
If Rafa wins Miami I will eat my hat. IF he was to meet Fed in the finals, Fed will even up the score between them.

In the future I hope that something can develop between the two, but that will require a lot of work on Rafa's part. I think he's up to it, but be patient :)

Rex
03-31-2005, 11:41 AM
would be a good final- i hope it happens. But nadal will be a great player in the coming years- he doesnt have the greatest serve, but he can compensate very well for it. So if his serve got better- i reckon he could be miles ahead.

onewoman74
03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
I think Nadal is so talented...He will get hardware in the future-that's for sure!!! I also love his attitude...no bs!!!

Fumus
03-31-2005, 01:30 PM
Nadal could beat Federer the way Fed has played his last couple matches *shank*, yep Federer just shanked another forehand in practice somewhere.

But seriously Nadal is playing great and he certianly has a shot because he beat Ivan on HC and that no easy feat even for Federer. The keys to that match would be Nadal's fh v. Fed bh and can Nadal do enough damage with his fh to really bother Fed. Nadal won't hold serve easy against Fed because he doesn't have a big bomber to keep Fed at bay, so Fed will be in every service game.

Exodus
03-31-2005, 01:32 PM
Nadal is just a another Hewitt clone, so he really doesn't stand a chance against Federer. He got no raw power to even come close to defeat Fedex :o

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Nadal isn't a Hewitt clone, considering Nadal actually has a weapon apart from foot speed and a tough mentality that already seperates him from Hewitt.

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Nadal could beat Federer the way Fed has played his last couple matches *shank*, yep Federer just shanked another forehand in practice somewhere.

But seriously Nadal is playing great and he certianly has a shot because he beat Ivan on HC and that no easy feat even for Federer. The keys to that match would be Nadal's fh v. Fed bh and can Nadal do enough damage with his fh to really bother Fed. Nadal won't hold serve easy against Fed because he doesn't have a big bomber to keep Fed at bay, so Fed will be in every service game.
good analysis :yeah:

Fumus
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
Nadal is just a another Hewitt clone, so he really doesn't stand a chance against Federer. He got no raw power to even come close to defeat Fedex :o

clearly you know nothing about tennis. Nadal and Hewitts games are nothing alike. 1, Hewitt his the same two flats shots again and again. 2, Hewitt is a retriever and just keeps getting stuff back until his has an oppertunity.

1. Nadal is an artist off of both sides and is a master of spin. That's what makes Nadals game interesting because he doesn't hit the same shots alot he comes up with incredible winners.

2. Nadal controls points with his killer fh and although he's very speedy it's more of an offensive speed, he can retrieve but Nadal would rather go for a winner than be run around(all things being the same i.e. not a match point or sometime when he needs to keep the ball in play etc.).

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
... and a tough mentality that already seperates him from Hewitt.
Stop smoking George, Hewitt has many drawbacks but not this one !

Exodus
03-31-2005, 01:39 PM
Really what kind of weapons? The only thing Nadal is better than Hewitt may only be his forehand.

Dirk
03-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Does Nadal take the ball early on the BH? If not then that side is not as strong as Hewitt's. That is Hewitt's best side off the ground. Hewitt is a damn good volleyer too when he goes to the net. I would put his volleying skills over Nadal. In the future Nadal will probably surpass Hewitt in skills.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Stop smoking George, Hewitt has many drawbacks but not this one !

Coming from the delusional Federer fan that is rich. I made a typo considering Hewitt's mentality, foot speed and defensive play are his strengths. Nadal is more forceful and has a better forehand as a weapon.

What's wrong with you? You spoke about someone besides Federer.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 01:46 PM
Really what kind of weapons? The only thing Nadal is better than Hewitt may only be his forehand.

It's a completely different game, Hewitts fh and bh are more neutralizing shots, they stay low, they aren't that fast and they are very consistant. Basically Hewitt makes his groundies hard to attack and in away can control points like that.

Nadal has more weapons, he's more offensive off of both sides. He's looking to control the point and give himself the upperhand in a rally as oppose to Hewitt who is looking to neutralize until he gets a short ball or some kind of shot he's looking to attack. All in all Nadal is just alot more offensive, he's looking to make shots.

Puschkin
03-31-2005, 01:47 PM
Nadal is just a another Hewitt clone,

I don' think so. The similarity is the fighting spirit, the difference is that Nadal goes much more for his own dominance, he wants to hit the clean winners himself.

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 01:50 PM
Coming from the delusional Federer fan that is rich. I made a typo considering Hewitt's mentality, foot speed and defensive play are his strengths. Nadal is more forceful and has a better forehand as a weapon.

What's wrong with you? You spoke about someone besides Federer.

No no no, you say : "a tough mentality that already SEPARATES him from Hewitt", don't try to change your own quotes...
And I spoke about Nadal as the rival, so always Fed around, sorry !! ;)

Exodus
03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
But you guys must be joking when you talk about Nadal "the true rival". Maybe Nadal can beat many top players but against Federer he doesn't even come close. Again no weapons to threaten Fedex

Fumus
03-31-2005, 01:54 PM
But you guys must be joking when you talk about Nadal "the true rival". Maybe Nadal can beat many top players but against Federer he doesn't even come close. Again no weapons to threaten Fedex

You know when Nadal and Fed have played, Nadal has won 100% of the time.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
You know when Nadal and Fed have played, Nadal has won 100% of the time.

Maths was your strong point I can tell. :)

Fumus
03-31-2005, 01:56 PM
No no no, you say : "a tough mentality that already SEPARATES him from Hewitt", don't try to change your own quotes...

Holy crap, who cares! Is that really something to drive it home about. Yea Hewitt and Rafa have a similar never say die mentality. I would however say Rafa is more so because he is younger.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 01:57 PM

You must be a clown if anyone thinks Hewitt has a problem in mentality.

Just for you I'll quote it bold it and explain it.

Nadal isn't a Hewitt clone, considering Nadal actually has a weapon apart from foot speed and a tough mentality that already seperates him from Hewitt.

Read what was bolded and what does that tell you? If not this says Nadal has a weapon apart from foot speed and a tough mentality, so how does that say that Hewitt doesn't have foot speed or a tough mentality?

Exodus
03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
They only played against each other once, so that doesn't really count besides Federer wasn't playing good. Try at the Miami final IF Nadal wins against Ferrer im sure Fedex gonna give him a lesson he never forget

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 02:00 PM
You must be a clown if anyone thinks Hewitt has a problem in mentality.

Just for you I'll quote it bold it and explain it.

Read what was bolded and what does that tell you? If not this says Nadal has a weapon apart from foot speed and a tough mentality, so how does that say that Hewitt doesn't have foot speed or a tough mentality?
didn't see the apart actually, give me some herb :o

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Maths was your strong point I can tell. :)

haha..yea, well I used a quite complicated forumula to figure that one out. :)

Let X = The times Rafa beat Fed

Let Y = The times when Federer has beaten Rafa

X/Y * 100/3.14232(100)^2 = 100% win percentage

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:08 PM
They only played against each other once, so that doesn't really count besides Federer wasn't playing good. Try at the Miami final IF Nadal wins against Ferrer im sure Fedex gonna give him a lesson he never forget

Gosh darn it you are right! Well a win is win against Federer...last year no one in the top ten could manage that (sides Tim) so what does that tell you.

Action Jackson

Cool, I'll be using that in future calculations. :)

TheMightyFed
Gosh darn it you are right! Well a win is win against Federer...last year no one in the top ten could manage that (sides Tim) so what does that tell you.
And Tim was not in top10 at the time !

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:12 PM
And Tim was not in top10 at the time !

Yessum and Nadal beat the number 2 guy last year too. Yea, so Nadal already beat the unbeatable and I will make a wager that if Roger and Rafa started to compare biceps Nadal would win that one too. :D

TheMightyFed
03-31-2005, 02:18 PM
Yessum and Nadal beat the number 2 guy last year too. Yea, so Nadal already beat the unbeatable and I will make a wager that if Roger and Rafa started to compare biceps Nadal would win that one too. :D
And if they do a contest on "who is best at digging his cheese" Nadal would win easily as well !! :devil:

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:24 PM
And if they do a contest on "who is best at digging his cheese" Nadal would win easily as well !! :devil:

Although I think if they compared head size, Roger has a bigger head... ;) :o

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Roger would win biggest nose.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:31 PM
Roger would win biggest nose.

I think they would tie for most metro-sexual hair and outfits.

Deivid23
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Those who think Federer will win for sure on Sunday (still they have to win their matches, none of them are easy ones) are wrong. Despite what many people can think about Nadal not being ready Federer indeed knows that he´s a tough (and I mean TOUGH) rival for him (you can read between lines in one of his last interviews) so I expect Roger to show at his near best on the finals. Nadal´s style (topspin ball, quickness and forehand including with his improvement at serve -told u also after Davis Cup-) do hurt Roger. I´m really looking forward to see that final, hope they can go through and give us a great tennis match on Sunday.

PD: Quite and calm Rafa, I said it a lot of times before, the kid will prove wrong all the people that understimated him sooner or later. Now win against Ferrer and try your luck against Roger.

Angle Queen
03-31-2005, 02:38 PM

X/Y * 100/3.14232(100)^2 = 100% win percentageHmmm...not too sure this equation would fly.

Since Y is zero in this case...it's an illegal operation so the whole thing blows up. :p

sigmagirl91
03-31-2005, 02:40 PM

Math is clearly not your strong suit, huh?

Fumus
03-31-2005, 02:47 PM
haha...yea it was a joke but if you want to take the time to figure out that it all comes out to 0 ok.

RogiFan88
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM

I'm hoping that Rafa's already starting to take more care of his fitness this year and that's why he's won 2 titles so far. Fingers crossed! Not playing I Wells was a smart move! ;)

rue
03-31-2005, 02:55 PM
I think the fact that Nadal is a lefty does change things, cos you really can't compare him with Hewitt. I remember the last time that Nadal and Federer played, he kept on attacking Roger's forehand which is unusual cos lots of pple tend to want to attack his backhand. I don't know if he can pull off an upset, but he surely is a determined person and will give it his all. They both still need to get to the final first.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
I can't believe the ridiculous topspin Nadal puts on the ball, it's like it bounces to a second storey before it gets to his opponent.

RogiFan88
03-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Rafa will be tested on true TMS hardcounts over summer. can't wait to see how young wipper snaper does at Toronto and Cincy this year and the Open)

Montreal this year

I hope he comes but he has to defend Sopot the week before... Rafa is fun to watch live!

RogiFan88
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
I think the fact that Nadal is a lefty does change things, cos you really can't compare him with Hewitt. I remember the last time that Nadal and Federer played, he kept on attacking Roger's forehand which is unusual cos lots of pple tend to want to attack his backhand. I don't know if he can pull off an upset, but he surely is a determined person and will give it his all. They both still need to get to the final first.

Exactly! Lefties give Rogi probs. Rogi already thinking about last yr's loss to Rafa when he played Zabaleta! And yes, Rogi first has to beat Tim, then either Taylor or AA first to even make the final and Rafa has to beat Ferrer also.

And it's far too early to talk about Rafa as Rogi's rival anyway... give him at least this year but Rafa's progress has been impressive esp this tourney.

Angle Queen
03-31-2005, 03:05 PM
haha...yea it was a joke but if you want to take the time to figure out that it all comes out to 0 ok.Eh-e-easy now, Fumus. I actually thought the "concept" was :haha:. Rafa's winning percentage over Fed is...indeed...100%. ;)

Pssst...the answer's not 0 (nor is it '1')...it really is an illegal operation. You just can't divide by zero. Nerd here. Sorry. :)

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:08 PM
Eh-e-easy now, Fumus. I actually thought the "concept" was :haha:. Rafa's winning percentage over Fed is...indeed...100%. ;)

Pssst...the answer's not 0 (nor is it '1')...it really is an illegal operation. You just can't divide by zero. Nerd here. Sorry. :)

Actually it would be undefined or inifinity there chicky but that's ok. I will settle for a laugh, and a high five for my attempt to be funny as you fail to see the humor my equation. :o

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
It's alright Fumus I got the joke and appreciated it.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
It's alright Fumus I got the joke and appreciated it.

:worship: :worship:

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:13 PM
:worship: :worship:

I see your seducing that Canadian Nadal lover.

Anyway, it'd piss some people off if Ferrer made the final.

Angle Queen
03-31-2005, 03:14 PM
I...got...the joke too. ;)

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:15 PM
I see your seducing that Canadian Nadal lover.

Anyway, it'd piss some people off if Ferrer made the final.

correction, *seduced* ;)

Don't worry I know that's your future wife but, I will just borrow her for a bit. :D

Ferrer!! Yea it would piss me off too. I want Fed to lose buddy, and I don't care how, so I am always rooting for the better players to move on.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:16 PM
I...got...the joke too. ;)

:kiss:

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:17 PM
correction, *seduced* ;)

Don't worry I know that's your future wife but, I will just borrow her for a bit. :D

Ferrer!! Yea it would piss me off too. I want Fed to lose buddy, and I don't care how, so I am always rooting for the better players to move on.

Thanks for the correction and I am impressed that you are aware of my future plans. :)

In other words you want someone else to win but Federer.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the correction and I am impressed that you are aware of my future plans. :)

In other words you want someone else to win but Federer.

I am jelious she's awesome.

haha..yea, I would like to see alittle parody in tennis.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:23 PM
I am jelious she's awesome.

haha..yea, I would like to see alittle parody in tennis.

I am very surprised that you know this, even though you are more studly than me.

Yes, it's a matter of time before Nadal will win a big title. I am not sure if it'll be here though.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:27 PM
I am very surprised that you know this, even though you are more studly than me.

Yes, it's a matter of time before Nadal will win a big title. I am not sure if it'll be here though.

Touche. You know I did read your posts occasionally before you and I ever chated.

I hope so, I like Nadal alot, for alot of reason. Right now I would say the number 1 reason is out of everyone in his friggin destroyed draw he has the best chace of beating RogFed.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:33 PM
Touche. You know I did read your posts occasionally before you and I ever chated.

Cool, and I am not sure whether the Canuck Nadal fan knows whether these plans will be successful or not and if there is deflowering then there could be some problems. :)

I hope so, I like Nadal alot, for alot of reason. Right now I would say the number 1 reason is out of everyone in his friggin destroyed draw he has the best chace of beating RogFed.

I can understand that point of view. I just hope that Nadal is actually handled well I mean he does have a huge star potential and considering he couldn't say hello a year ago in English, his skills have come a long way.

He has a lot to improve, but he has a good attitude and that should help him and doesn't fear playing the top guys.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Cool, and I am not sure whether the Canuck Nadal fan knows whether these plans will be successful or not and if there is deflowering then there could be some problems. :)

I can understand that point of view. I just hope that Nadal is actually handled well I mean he does have a huge star potential and considering he couldn't say hello a year ago in English, his skills have come a long way.

He has a lot to improve, but he has a good attitude and that should help him and doesn't fear playing the top guys.

Yea, I don't know too much about her, we just talked on the telephone once and I just make blatent flirtatious remarks to her all the time.

Yea, Nadal is great I watched 'no strings' with Nadal, (a behind the scenes show where a camera crew follows Nadal). He didn't speak English at all but he said some funny stuff in Spanish. He talked about a girl a night club and he asked her to kiss him.

"Why will you not give me a kiss, I asked" - Nadal
"Because I don't know" - Girl
"Just give me a kiss, it'll be fun" - Nadal
"I don't know" - Girl
"In the end, I told the girl, a kiss from me would be better than a kiss from you" - Nadal :haha: :lol:

adeegee
03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Just seen the post. As much as I like him I think it's a bit early to say Rafa will be Roger's rival. I agree with what someone said in a previous post, Rafa would be unable to get many cheap points off the serve whereas Roger is likely to have 1 or 2 a game. Big advantage. However, Rafa's main strength against Roger is the fact that he can put a lot of topspin on his forehand cross court, making it very hard for the single handed backhand to constantly deal with, as Ljubicic found. Another plus for Rafa is that he keeps extremely good depth on his groundies, we've all seen that whenever Roger is given a short ball, especially on the forehand he puts it away 99% of the time. I'd love to see them meet in the final, Roger would obviously be firm, firm favourite and as much as I'd like Rafa to win it'd be very tough. At the moment I think I'd fancy him to beat any other player the way he's playing, even Roddick/Agassi/Hewitt/Safin etc but I'm just not quite sure he's ready to be beating Roger consistently, although in a one off final you just never know.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
Yea, Nadal is great I watched 'no strings' with Nadal, (a behind the scenes show where a camera crew follows Nadal). He didn't speak English at all but he said some funny stuff in Spanish. He talked about a girl a night club and he asked her to kiss him.

"Why will you not give me a kiss, I asked" - Nadal
"Because I don't know" - Girl
"Just give me a kiss, it'll be fun" - Nadal
"I don't know" - Girl
"In the end, I told the girl, a kiss from me would be better than a kiss from you" - Nadal :haha: :lol:

Thanks for that and why doesn't this surprise me at all. :)

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Some more about Nadal this was when he was interviewed by Chela.

Chela: So rafa, do you have a girlfriend?
Nadal: not even crazy!
Chela: Why not?
Nadal: Nobody loves me
Chela: I think you don't love anyone! So, how do you release all your energy?
Nadal: By myself (laughs)

Juan asked him about the Argentine crowd, and he said: they were nice (laughs)
Chela: did they insult you?
Nadal: some of them
Chela: when was that?
Nadal: when I was playing Gastón?
Chela: "boludo", what do you expect? do you wanted them to cheer for you? Please!!! I guess all the Spanish crowed cheered for Roddick in the DC, right? (laughs)

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Thanks for that and why doesn't this surprise me at all. :)

Cuz Nadal is like alittle pimp, his outfits on court should include lots of rings, a top hat, diamond encrusted racquet, a cane, fur coat and boa. Well it's kinda hot maybe he could pull a Serena and just warm up with it.

adeegee
03-31-2005, 03:47 PM
When was this? What's the ultra cool Rafa doing hanging out with Chela :confused:

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
Some more about Nadal this was when he was interviewed by Chela.

Chela: So rafa, do you have a girlfriend?
Nadal: not even crazy!
Chela: Why not?
Nadal: Nobody loves me
Chela: I think you don't love anyone! So, how do you release all your energy?
Nadal: By myself (laughs)

Juan asked him about the Argentine crowd, and he said: they were nice (laughs)
Chela: did they insult you?
Nadal: some of them
Chela: when was that?
Nadal: when I was playing Gastón?
Chela: "boludo", what do you expect? do you wanted them to cheer for you? Please!!! I guess all the Spanish crowed cheered for Roddick in the DC, right? (laughs)

:haha: Nadal is soo cool :cool:

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 03:49 PM
When was this? What's the ultra cool Rafa doing hanging out with Chela :confused:

Chela is on Zabaleta's TV show and Chela interviewed him. Anyway did you enjoy the dialogue?

Fumus
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM

Maybe they were having a spitting contest :confused:

adeegee
03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Chela is on Zabaleta's TV show and Chela interviewed him. Anyway did you enjoy the dialogue?

Yeah it was pretty funny. I haven't heard enough of Rafa being interviewed, I'd like to know if he's as cool as he appears :p

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
Yeah it was pretty funny. I haven't heard enough of Rafa being interviewed, I'd like to know if he's as cool as he appears :p

He is still a kid and he seemed alright when Chela was interviewing him and the other times I have heard him.

Go to the Davis Cup site if you want audio in English.

adeegee
03-31-2005, 04:03 PM
He is still a kid and he seemed alright when Chela was interviewing him and the other times I have heard him.

Go to the Davis Cup site if you want audio in English.

Thanks boss, on my way there now!

ys
03-31-2005, 04:04 PM
True rival .. for nobodies.. Otherwise .. just a lefty with a heavy topspin..

adeegee
03-31-2005, 04:06 PM

Hey the knowledgable poster is back. :wavey:

Are you not feeling sick off all the humble pie you've eaten after your recent comments about Nadal. Or are you just going to keep posting nonsense like the above and continue to make an ass out of yourself :rolleyes:

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
I wish more people would make comments like this. Helps sort out the people who know jack shit better. Welcome to the ignore list.

Action Jackson
03-31-2005, 04:07 PM
ys, the lefty lover is back.

Fumus
03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
I wish more people would make comments like this. Helps sort out the people who know jack shit better. Welcome to the ignore list.

Yea, you just sorted yourself out. ;)

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 04:25 PM
Yea, you just sorted yourself out. ;)
Lucky me.

Scotso
03-31-2005, 04:30 PM
If both Nadal and Federer reach the finals, that could be interesting: Nadal has won their first encounter and has not been yet "federerized" like Hewitt and Roddick.
Could he be the true rival of Fed in the coming years ?
-he's quite versatile, getting good results on hard courts
-his favourite surface is clay, which allows him to build confidence outside Fed's territory like in South America
-He's a fighter like Hewitt but attacks much more and has a lethal weapon in his forehand
-He's much steadier mentally than a Safin
-He likes big events' pressure and big crowds as we've seen in DC
-force or weakness? he can still develop areas in his game like his service
-He's highly motivated by Wimby, meaning he's ready to do whatever needs to be done to do well there

Overall we can hope a good H2H battle between the two, starting maybe by a final in Miami.
What do you think ? ;)

Excellent post. I do think that Nadal can become Federer's main rival in time, but perhaps not yet. But who knows? If they both make the finals, I guess we'll see.

I do think it would be fun to see them go head-to-head on clay. I think I'd bet on Nadal there.

Still, there are many other up-and-coming players that could potentially challenge Federer in the future. But right now, it looks like his grip is pretty solid.

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 04:32 PM
Nadal, can, and will be Roger's true rival. Rafael is the best young player out there, and has lots of time to improve his whole game. Even as it is now, I give him a great chance to defeating Federer in this tourney.

And it should go without saying, that Nadal will naturally have him owned on clay in years to come.

ys
03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Hey the knowledgable poster is back. :wavey:

Are you not feeling sick off all the humble pie you've eaten after your recent comments about Nadal.

What humble pie? :confused:

adeegee
03-31-2005, 04:50 PM
What humble pie? :confused:

Well you commented about 2 weeks ago that Nadal would become a journeyman and is crap on anything but clay. You also said great players like Federer don't care about Masters Series they only care about Grand Slams (that was your reasoning as to why Nadal beat Federer in Miami last year). You said Federer tanked the match, he appears to have tried in both Masters Series events this year has he not? I'd say you've got pretty much everything wrong :o

alfonsojose
03-31-2005, 04:52 PM
No with those Capris :spit:

SwiSha
03-31-2005, 04:57 PM
I ll guess the answer to the question is that the time will show....RAFA has grown very much here in 2005...but to really challenge Fedex on a consistent basis i think there is still a way to go...neverthenless great RAFA keep improving!!!

I can just laugh @ all the hataz who thought that KID is only a clay court player ...:haha:

ys
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
Well you commented about 2 weeks ago that Nadal would become a journeyman and is crap on anything but clay.

Has he even won a tournament not on clay yet?

You also said great players like Federer don't care about Masters Series

Federer is nuts. Apart from him, all players who are Slam contenders are out of this tournament for quite a while. Why waste time..

You said Federer tanked the match, he appears to have tried in both Masters Series events this year has he not?

As I said, he appears to be nuts.. His AO loss seemed to really get under his skin and now he wants to win everything.. He'll pay for it. He won't win a Slam this year.

adelaide
03-31-2005, 05:02 PM
No with those Capris :spit:
the 'pris are awesome. ;)

back to the topic, it's too early to say. not yet. he's only 18 but he's been on the pro circuit for quite some time, right? i guess it's safe to say he's a great talent, and he's going to have a good career, but it's too early to say that he's going to be Roger's true rival. they've only met once... (100%! gasp.)

If they do meet in the final, we'll have more to talk about... :)

Adman
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
If Federer continues with this amazing standard of wining then I think that Nadal is going to be a top 5 player if not number 2 in the world.

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 05:03 PM
If only he'd wear those Capri's ab-high JMac style, then he'd lock up numerous clothing contracts for sure.

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 05:41 PM

I *wish* Nadal had Hewitt's return of serve.

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 05:43 PM
...Nadal would rather go for a winner than be run around(all things being the same i.e. not a match point or sometime when he needs to keep the ball in play etc.).

That's more or less what Nadal himself said when he was compared to Hewitt in Australia. He has nothing but good things to say for Hewitt's game, but he doesn't like being compared to it :shrug:

uNIVERSE mAN
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Nadal, can, and will be Roger's true rival. Rafael is the best young player out there, and has lots of time to improve his whole game. Even as it is now, I give him a great chance to defeating Federer in this tourney.

And it should go without saying, that Nadal will naturally have him owned on clay in years to come.

You can't be a rival until you consistently dominate the rest of the ATP tour, there's no point if you can't get to the match in order to play him (are you listening to this Safin?). It's way too early for Nadal, the tour hasn't zoned in on Nadal's game yet, it happens with all newcomers, then when the pressure and expectation is there and the other player's really come to play and have studied you, then it will be seen how good he is. Hype is nothing without the results.

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Holy crap, who cares! Is that really something to drive it home about. Yea Hewitt and Rafa have a similar never say die mentality. I would however say Rafa is more so because he is younger.

I give it to Hewitt moreso because he is more experienced. Hewitt could probably get shot three times during a match and would still continue ;)

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 05:50 PM
You can't be a rival until you consistently dominate the rest of the ATP tour, there's no point if you can't get to the match in order to play him (are you listening to this Safin?). It's way too early for Nadal, the tour hasn't zoned in on Nadal's game yet, it happens with all newcomers, then when the pressure and expectation is there and the other player's really come to play and have studied you, then it will be seen how good he is. Hype is nothing without the results.
Well Nadal is a lock for this final, so for Federer's sake, he had better take out Dent/Aggasi/Henman.

Miami - Phase I of the Rafael "Franchise" Nadal era

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 05:51 PM
"Who [Roger] Federer predicts will succeed him as No. within three years: 17-year-old Spaniard Rafael Nadal." - Inside Tennis (June 2004)

;)

(ripped that from vamosrafael.com)

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 05:52 PM
"Who [Roger] Federer predicts will succeed him as No. within three years: 17-year-old Spaniard Rafael Nadal." - Inside Tennis (June 2004)

;)

(ripped that from vamosrafael.com)
0wned. Lock this thread now. Court is adjourned.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Final is best of 5. I'm not sure who that favours. Don't people always say that over a five set match the better player is much more likely to win?

Cervantes
03-31-2005, 06:45 PM
Needs to develop his serve (although last time I've seen him was against Hewitt in Australia, so maybe he's already done so). For me the win last year was a bit of a fluke after Federer played a lot of matches and was due for a loss at the time (Roger barely won 1st round 7-5 in the 3rd against Davydenko). Nevertheless Nadal could be a rival in the future mainly cause he's a got great spirit and he's a lefty, which is always difficult to play against.

Only time will tell I guess.

erik-the-red
03-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Because Nadal has not yet won a major title (viz. Roland Garros), he's still a contender for EVERYTHING.

Currently, he gets pumped easily, doesn't tank matches, and has a nice and penetrating forehand.

I just think his backhand is a bit weak...or at least it was last year.

tennismaster882001
03-31-2005, 07:01 PM
not yet, but in future for sure! Nadal - Federer, perfect finale!

Fumus
03-31-2005, 07:26 PM
I give it to Hewitt moreso because he is more experienced. Hewitt could probably get shot three times during a match and would still continue ;)

only three?

adeegee
03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
Because Nadal has not yet won a major title (viz. Roland Garros), he's still a contender for EVERYTHING.

Currently, he gets pumped easily, doesn't tank matches, and has a nice and penetrating forehand.

I just think his backhand is a bit weak...or at least it was last year.

His backhand is certainly the weaker wing, but I wouldn't say its a major weakness. It does have days when it can look pretty bad and he can struggle to get much penetration on it but in general its a solid shot.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 08:47 PM
When Nadal start wearing shorts during matchs :)

Chloe le Bopper
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
His backhand is certainly the weaker wing, but I wouldn't say its a major weakness. It does have days when it can look pretty bad and he can struggle to get much penetration on it but in general its a solid shot.
Indeed. People around here underrate his backhand, and I don't really understand why. Yes, it's the weaker wing, but it's not crap. Hewitt himself had some good things to say about the Nadal backhand, and he should know.

adeegee
03-31-2005, 09:00 PM
When Nadal start wearing shorts during matchs :)

Rafa's too cool for shorts ;)

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 09:02 PM
Rafa's too cool for shorts ;)

I think it looks ridicolous...over summer my little bro had a pair...we went to play tennis.. got there before him..when he came and i saw them...i got my keys walked to car and went home...without saying ANYTHIng it was funny..he kept saying what!!!

adeegee
03-31-2005, 09:25 PM
I think it looks ridicolous...over summer my little bro had a pair...we went to play tennis.. got there before him..when he came and i saw them...i got my keys walked to car and went home...without saying ANYTHIng it was funny..he kept saying what!!!

:haha: poor kid, surely he's not as cool as Rafa though!

How can you think they dont look cool :p

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
:haha: poor kid, surely he's not as cool as Rafa though!

How can you think they dont look cool :p
Pull them up ab-high so they look like normal shorts, and they'll be the tennis world rage when he kicks ass in them.

He will be the Payne Stewart of the ATP.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 09:29 PM
They just look funny on guys with big calf muscle like me.

adeegee
03-31-2005, 09:32 PM
They just look funny on guys with big calf muscle like me.

Mate if yours are bigger than Nadal's I'd be impressed. I think Roberto Carlos (Brazil and Real Madrid soccer player) takes the trophy for the biggest though

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 09:33 PM
i squad 700lbs..= 62kg in 100lbs= so about 430kg

and yeah Carlos has HUGE CALFS

adeegee
03-31-2005, 09:38 PM
i squad 700lbs..= 62kg in 100lbs= so about 430kg

and yeah Carlos has HUGE CALFS

:eek: :eek: :eek: Are you :bs: ?

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 09:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: Are you :bs: ?

Im not...im 6'4 215.lbs...well probly more around 225now...

adeegee
03-31-2005, 10:00 PM
Im not...im 6'4 215.lbs...well probly more around 225now...

are you a clone of ivan :haha:

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 10:01 PM
are you a clone of ivan :haha:

Ivan is 6'4 180...and Ivan's mom is my dads sister. :)

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Makes sense.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Makes sense.

my dad is 6'4....Ivan mom is kind of tall maybe 6 and his dad is about 6'2

adeegee
03-31-2005, 10:05 PM

Really? Tell Ivan he should concentrate on his tennis and not bother playing a part in an Australian soap (see picture) :p

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 10:05 PM
my dad is 6'4....Ivan mom is kind of tall maybe 6 and his dad is about 6'2
Ivanovic is tall at 6' and still growing. I'm sure you knew that. hehe

You and your :hearts: with her :angel:

NATAS81
03-31-2005, 10:06 PM
Really? Tell Ivan he should concentrate on his tennis and not bother playing a part in an Australian soap (see picture) :p
Ivan = Moby

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 10:06 PM

i saw that before...dont really look like him.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 10:08 PM
I will see Ivan maybe in May..i might go to Croatia..after school...if not then after TMS Cincy he stop in St.Louis before USO

Scotso
04-01-2005, 02:15 AM
:lol: @ RDucky being related to Ivan and benching 700lbs.

:lol:

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2005, 02:19 AM
If Rducky actually is related to Ivan... doesn't he owe to his cousin to do him a little more justice? I find it hard to believe that somebody would go out of their way to troll and make people hate on a member of their family, but hey... that's just me.

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 05:41 AM
:lol: @ RDucky being related to Ivan and benching 700lbs.

:lol:

never said i benched 700lbs i said squad..learn how to read

If Rducky actually is related to Ivan... doesn't he owe to his cousin to do him a little more justice? I find it hard to believe that somebody would go out of their way to troll and make people hate on a member of their family, but hey... that's just me.

and here pic of Ljubo in front of my house with me and rest of the family....should get some new ones in right after TMS Cincy he stop by St.Louis before USO
http://img46.exs.cx/img46/5831/hh9zt.th.jpg (http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=hh9zt.jpg)

bad gambler
04-01-2005, 05:43 AM
which one are you big fella?

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 05:44 AM
behide ljubo...i think that was in 2001

bad gambler
04-01-2005, 05:47 AM
u seem to have changed a lot duckman since then and now

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 05:48 AM
u seem to have changed a lot duckman since then and now

well 2001- 2005...people grow ;)

ill look so more. 2moro.

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2005, 06:24 AM
never said i benched 700lbs i said squad..learn how to read

and here pic of Ljubo in front of my house with me and rest of the family....should get some new ones in right after TMS Cincy he stop by St.Louis before USO
http://img46.exs.cx/img46/5831/hh9zt.th.jpg (http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=hh9zt.jpg)
I didn't say that it wasn't true. I just find it mind boggling that you troll in such a way to bring negative energy his way. I can't imagine doing that to a member of my family. I realize it's just a messageboard and who the Hell cares what anybody here says.... but still :shrug:

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 06:26 AM
I didn't say that it wasn't true. I just find it mind boggling that you troll in such a way to bring negative energy his way.

what do i do thats so bad?

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2005, 06:26 AM
^^ Anyways, thanks for the picture. You must all be very proud.

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2005, 06:27 AM
what do i do thats so bad?
You irritate people by trolling which results in some of them hating on him :shrug:

As I said... it's just a messageboard, who cares. I just can't imagine I would do it. That's all :p

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 06:30 AM
You irritate people by trolling which results in some of them hating on him :shrug:

As I said... it's just a messageboard, who cares. I just can't imagine I would do it. That's all :p

lol...so should i tell people how nice he is...

how he got me x-box and like 20games 2years ago ;)

Chloe le Bopper
04-01-2005, 06:33 AM
That was nice of him, yes.

El Legenda
04-01-2005, 06:37 AM
That was nice of him, yes.

he's nice guy...he really got a bad rep after 2003 USO...also really good at Madden Football games..or i just suck lol.

adeegee
04-01-2005, 04:19 PM
he's nice guy...he really got a bad rep after 2003 USO...also really good at Madden Football games..or i just suck lol.

it was his own fault really, it was a bit of an unnecessary thing to say about roddick. i think he's probably a nice guy though. you'd know better than me though :p

TheMightyFed
04-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Seemed yesterday he could REALLY challenge Federer, but Rog reads his game pretty well now, let's hope Nadal hasn't been "federerized"... interesting to see how Rafa will react, maybe during the clay season. ;)

syd
04-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Well done to Nadal, but Roger still stays unbeaten since the AO even when he plays bad, fantastic Roger how you turn the match in your favour (well done),

tennisman.
04-04-2005, 01:50 PM
Roger too good

babsi
04-04-2005, 02:20 PM
wait and see

__________________________________________________ ______________________
Here comes the rain again,falling from the stars - drenched in my pain again,becoming who we are (Billie Joe Armstrong)

Cervantes
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Only time will tell I guess.

And time did tell. Nadal proved himself on Sunday and has eaten a big chunk out of Roger's dominance. I'm not even sure if Roger would be favorite should they meet again in the clay season. Nadal also showed his lefthanded heavy-topspin forehand is a big weapon against Federer, cause it kicks up to the backhand. We all know Roger likes pace (Agassi, Roddick for example), but Nadal just gives him spin and the ball really bounces high, so Roger can't really do that much with the backhand. Now it's up to Roger to come up with a different game plan next time they play.

TheMightyFed
04-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Now it seems we have two dominant forces on the tour, both quite versatile, although with their favorite surfaces. Aren't other players in deep s**t for a while ?

^Sue^
04-25-2005, 10:26 AM
NADAL Definitely NOT THE RIVAL!
I think Roger Federer is the best player!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for That Little R.Nadal, sorry, i truly dislike him...SORRY:)

^Sue^
04-25-2005, 10:30 AM
That is only my opinion, nothing harm him.

Puschkin
04-25-2005, 10:39 AM
There is no doubt that Roger and Nadal have been the forces in mens' tennis this year. I'd add Marat for his AO title, even if he has not shown much since then.

It is obvious that Nadal draws a lot of attention, he is young, strong and has momentum, he is on the rise. Roger in 2005 is on the defence, a different challenge. Becoming nr 1 and staying there are two totally different issues, the second much harder than the first.

A rivalry between the two? Well that depends what you consider a rivalry. If it is their current race positions, then yes, if you go for a series of interesting matches (Sampras/Agassi) no.

As for personal preferences, they will always remain. I don't shy away from stating that Roger's tennis appeals more to me, he does not grunt after all ;) but that does not prevent me from appreciating Nadal's capabilities.

Action Jackson
04-25-2005, 10:41 AM
What rivalry?

WyveN
04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
The next Federer-Nadal match will be fascinating, clay, hardcourt or even grass. Probably even more so then the next Federer-Safin match.

TheMightyFed
04-25-2005, 12:37 PM
The next Federer-Nadal match will be fascinating, clay, hardcourt or even grass. Probably even more so then the next Federer-Safin match.
Agree, the pressure is up...

onewoman74
04-25-2005, 01:04 PM
I think we're lucky as fans to have great tennis players showing off what they can do. Nadal is coming into his own, Federer is still Federer and Safin is still a headcase, but w/ so much talent...Let's just enjoy the ride!!

TheMightyFed
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Federer is still Federer and Safin is still a headcase
Looks like a great sig ;)

onewoman74
04-25-2005, 02:20 PM
Looks like a great sig ;)

You think? lol ;)

TheMightyFed
07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I hope we will see the two against each other during the hardcourt US season, I'm a bit frustrated by the 2 last encounters: In Miami there's been a questionable call against Nadal, and in Roland Garros Federer was way too nervous to play his normal game... let's see that :p

Maratfan
07-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Ah, come on guys. Nadal is a true rival on clay and maybe sometimes on hard, but potentially Safin is a much stronger opponent. Look at how the last matches between him and Federer were, they had a real rivalry. The match between Federer and Nadal at the FO was not that good.
I don´t think Nadal would have a real chance against Federer in topform on a quicker surface.
Because he´s mentally so tough and dedicated, he has that success, not because he´s such a brilliant tennis player.

prediction of mine: If Djokovic stays healthy, he´s gonna become a topten player.

TheMightyFed
07-14-2005, 02:13 PM
but potentially Safin is a much stronger opponent.
The thing is that rivalry=minimum consistency, a word that does not exist in Marat's world... ;)

topspin_baby
07-14-2005, 02:14 PM
I am a nadal fan, but there's no rivalry there yet (YET!!) but the hard courts season would be a good gauge
for me roger's real rival is "good" safin. without a doubt, if safin's having a great day he can beat anybody on any surface..too bad he doesn't realize that...