Is Andy in a slump? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Andy in a slump?

Fumus
03-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Falling to number 3, losing 1st rnd in DC, two big losses to Hewitt, two injuries....and only two semifinals and a title.

Is it a slump or is just mediocrity?

Basically what I am asking is, where do you think Andy should be?

Golfnduck
03-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Hard question to answer. I don't think he's in a slump, he's just not playing to his potential. The injuries suck, but he's in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Hopefully he'll play better during the clay season.

blosson
03-28-2005, 07:40 PM
I also think he is playing better than ever ( a bit unlucky with injuries ) but other players have also raised the bar for sure. I bet Andy was not thinking about Ljubo last year...I hope it's a transition phase where he is getting to try new things and will come back stronger during the grass season.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
:shrug: I picked option 2.

Fumus
03-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Hard question to answer. I don't think he's in a slump, he's just not playing to his potential. The injuries suck, but he's in the best shape I've ever seen him in. Hopefully he'll play better during the clay season.

btw, that is the cutest avatar ever.

Yea, I agree mostly. He's not playing to his potential but at the same point he's not having the kinda slump that Hewitt, Agassi, or Safin had, ya know dropping out of the top ten, not competing for majors anymore. If it is a slump it's a small one.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 07:48 PM
Ryan, did you see what T-Dent said about Andy and this topic? I'll repost it.

Q. Can you assess Andy's game? Did he get too much too soon?

TAYLOR DENT: Everybody has a little slump every so often. This may be Andy's, this may not be Andy's; I don't know. Obviously, Lleyton had his slump a couple years ago. So, you know, it's nothing to worry about. It's nothing to even, you know, nod your head about. He's still 3 or 4 in the world ‑ I don't know what he is right now ‑ but, gosh, that's darn good. He's always competing for titles. Last week he was in the semis of one of the strongest tournaments in the world.

If he's dropped off at all, it's a hair and it will easily come back.

Q. From where you sit (inaudible)?

TAYLOR DENT: I don't know. It's a tough question because the way I look at it is how do you hold serve? In men's tennis, I think that's the biggest thing. How Andy holds serve and 99% of the guys out here, they hit a big first serve or a nice second serve, and they rip a short forehand. You know, either the guy doesn't get it or they're coming in and hooking a volley off like that. That's how Andy is at his best.

So I think that he may be an all‑around player if he learns to come in more, but I think he'd be a worse player for it.

Q. You know him well. If the worst‑case scenario turns out to be true and Federer is just one of those immortals and Andy never again is No. 1 and never again is a guy out there winning more than just an occasional major here and there, is he satisfied with that career?

TAYLOR DENT: I don't ‑‑ geez, I never talk to Andy about that. We don't talk about tennis all that much. But I'd have to say no. I don't think anybody's really satisfied with that. I mean, you want to go out there and you want to win every week; that's what we're here playing for. I mean, although it may not happen now, you're always saying, "Okay, let's plan it out, how am I going to get to that point?"

So like you say, if Andy is dominated by Federer and a couple other guys, then I'd say, yeah, he'd be a little disappointed.

Q. Because he knows what it's like to be No. 1?

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, he's tasted it. I'm sure if you had him on the couch, he'd say he honestly believes ‑ and everybody else does as well ‑ that he can be and has the potential to be No. 1, winning Slams all the time.

Q. Do you think part of Federer's edge with Andy is how he handles Andy's first ground stroke?

TAYLOR DENT: The matches I've watched those two play is Federer wins an awful lot of baseline points ‑ I mean, an awful lot. Normally when you're playing at this high level, it's like 55/45, 60/40 at worst, but Roger just seems to win a lot. I wouldn't dare to guess a percentage, but it's high.

Q. When you talk about holding serve by hitting that first hard forehand ground stroke...

TAYLOR DENT: Yeah, it just seems like a typical point would be Andy hit a bomb first serve, Federer would float it back deep, Andy would rip the first ball, and then Roger would fight off that one, maybe another one, and then the point kind of starts even and then Roger just ‑‑ I mean, in my opinion, he's got the best forehand in the game. Once he gets hold of a forehand, he's got Andy on the defensive. When you are on the defensive on your own serve, it's not a good sign.

Fumus
03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Yea, I saw that and that's kinda what I started this poll-thread, because I wanted get everyones opinion on this.

With Andy situation right now, I feel like he's a step away from breaking through to compete excellence or crashing out to complete nothingness. It can't stay this way, either Andy will be friggin awesome or he will spiral out...hoping it's the first option.

Golfnduck
03-28-2005, 07:53 PM
btw, that is the cutest avatar ever.

Thanks. I think Andy and the little girl are adorable.

blosson
03-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks. I think Andy and the little girl are adorable.

Isn't she the same girl he holds crying in that infamous dramatic clip from AR.com?

Cutie. :)

tangerine_dream
03-28-2005, 08:13 PM
^^

What Taylor said. :worship:

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 08:20 PM
Isn't she the same girl he holds crying in that infamous dramatic clip from AR.com?

No, I don't think so. The clip from Andy's site is a boy (he's wearing a tie!) and I think it's his cousin. This is just a girl at the hospital in Memphis

and yeah, what Taylor said, very well-said I think.

Golfnduck
03-28-2005, 08:30 PM

What clip is that? I've been looking for it.

blosson
03-28-2005, 08:36 PM
What clip is that? I've been looking for it.

here but Debs says that's a boy.

http://www.andyroddick.com/av_summary.php?audvid_id=159

Fumus
03-28-2005, 08:42 PM
I think Taylor made some good points but if he really thought Andy was in a slump he wouldn't say it...lol...yea guys...Andy is sucking big right now...lol..

Golfnduck
03-28-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the clip :hug:

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 08:46 PM
It's definitely a boy, he's wearing a tie! LOL

blosson
03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
Andy hasn't lost a match to a nobody this year. He lost an exhibition to Roger, lost to Hewitt x 2, DC to Ljuby and got hurt x2. That's not so bad. All players he lost to are good top players.

You can't say that it's really bad, maybe just not good enough.

adeegee
03-28-2005, 08:54 PM
I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago. I think he's in a minor slump, nothing too serious he'll be back to win a slam in the near future and prove a lot of people wrong.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 09:07 PM
I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago.

The more I think about this, the more I agree. He needs to have FUN out there again.

Fumus
03-28-2005, 09:16 PM
The more I think about this, the more I agree. He needs to have FUN out there again.

Red shorts and visors...Red shorts and visors...high fives for the crowd, silly antics, and rediculous trick shots for no reason. :D

blosson
03-28-2005, 09:21 PM
just a little interlude here

yay andre made it to the next round!

Tytta!.
03-28-2005, 09:24 PM
I watched that match... He actually had 12 aces :eek:

J. Corwin
03-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I choose the 2nd option. He's definitely underachieving in terms of results but he's literally been a few points away from having a great year. I know this may be assuming too much, but he really could have won the AO: He was up on Lleyton and if he had kept his normal cool in the TBs he could have won that...and then he has a decent record against Marat who could have OAFED enough for Andy to win (not that Andy can't beat a fully-mentally stable Safin ;)). We would then be talking about what an amazing year Andy has had lol.

So I think the results have been deceiving and Andy isn't in a slump. But his brain might be in one. :o Mentally he looks pretty bad and he hasn't turned that corner to bring back his confidence...which IMO won't happen until he gets that big win. ;)

adeegee- Great point! It's like he expects the wins to come to him now and he's used to it...

Dent - :yeah:;)

ellehutton
03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
the cure for a roddick slump?
bring back the VISOR back already, you know he loves it it so suited him and his personality...i dont know why he ever took it off i really did like brad gilbert but when he told andy to lose it he shold of told him to fuck off, you dont take fashion advise from someone who chooses to only ever wear black, that the rule come on metallica is not a fashion statment, i thought the visor was very fashion forward! (can u tell i miss it?:sad: )

J. Corwin
03-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Red shorts and visors...Red shorts and visors...high fives for the crowd, silly antics, and rediculous trick shots for no reason. :D

That's what made me an Andy fan in the first place! :D

He toned it down in the 2nd half of 2003 but at least he was still winning mucho. lol :cool:

Carito_90
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I wish a visor would get me to win GSs, beat Roger and play some amazing tennis... damn. :p

Just one thing, I don't really think the DC loss was his fault really. If there was anyone to blame I'd say the Bryans but... :rolleyes:

I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago.

Agreed

I choose the 2nd option. He's definitely underachieving in terms of results but he's literally been a few points away from having a great year. I know this may be assuming too much, but he really could have won the AO: He was up on Lleyton and if he had kept his normal cool in the TBs he could have won that...and then he has a decent record against Marat who could have OAFED enough for Andy to win (not that Andy can't beat a fully-mentally stable Safin ;)). We would then be talking about what an amazing year Andy has had lol.

So I think the results have been deceiving and Andy isn't in a slump. But his brain might be in one. :o Mentally he looks pretty bad and he hasn't turned that corner to bring back his confidence...which IMO won't happen until he gets that big win. ;)

Have I ever told you how much I love you Jace? :lol:
:worship:

tangerine_dream
03-28-2005, 10:06 PM

The pressure to remain No. 1 is enormous; more so than trying to get to No. 1. People say he's in a slump now because he's down to No. 3. Career's over he should just pack it in, right?

Once you reach the top, a whole new set of pressures and problems arise. He probably never saw it coming and the adjustment has been tough. I'm more concerned that his game is improving (which it has); his pizza love handles disappearing (which they have); and he stays healthy (2 injuries, eh, at least they're not serious). But as we saw at AO, Andy clearly does not believe in himself or his game as much as he used to.

I can only imagine the turmoil Roger must be in. He's winning but he's still not looking like his old self out there.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Well then Andy has to find some way to put the pressure out of his head, because when he plays loosely with no expectations he plays freely. The one tournament he's played like that at, as far as I can tell, in the past couple years, is Thailand last year. And it makes sense - he was just honoring a commitment and was so jet-lagged that he had no expectations for himself so he ended up just swinging freely and made the finals. He's gotta be able to do that.

I think his slump is minor and it's all mental. I still believe it has partly to do with the fact that his game has come a long way that he is not fully confident in it yet. If this really is the case, his will come along shortly, when he keeps putting the new stuff into play in big matches, he will believe in it more and at the big moments he will come through.

adeegee
03-28-2005, 10:19 PM
Oh god no I didn't mean bring back the visor.

Just that recently I haven't seen him get properly pumped up like he used to. I liked it when he used to get properly emotional, have arguments with umpires, fist pumping, playing through injuries etc.

About a year ago I would've said I had never though Andy had tried anything less than 100% during a match. Now I'm not so sure.

Matches like Mutis at the French Open where he really should've won easily, then seemed to get himself in a bit of a rut and just didn't seem to bother in the 5th set. Johansson at the US Open, I would've expected him to get extremely excited about coming back from 2 sets down to 2-2, but then he just seemed to lie back and somehow managed to lose the match. Then the DC Final, he seems so passionate about it but then against Nadal he seemed to stop chasing balls for long periods. I understand he gets frustrated on clay but I never thought I'd see it.

I want more of the old Roddick back, like the Chang match at the French Open 99 I think. Or the Hewitt at the 2001 US Open. Or the Nalbandian 2003 US Open. To be honest, if Andy went 2 sets down against anyone I just wouldn't fancy his chances, I'm not sure if fitness is a worry (I don't think so but last year he lost 5 setters in 3 of the slams) I just don't see the fighting spirit as strong as it used to be. There were signs he was back to his old self against Hewitt last week though.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 10:27 PM
Oh god no I didn't mean bring back the visor.

Thank Carlos! :lol:

Just that recently I haven't seen him get properly pumped up like he used to. I liked it when he used to get properly emotional, have arguments with umpires, fist pumping, playing through injuries etc.

I know what you mean, I agree. It's that razor-sharp look in his eyes, the killer instinct type of thing. he doesn't always have it anymore :( He doesn't have the tall, confident swagger either :(

About a year ago I would've said I had never though Andy had tried anything less than 100% during a match. Now I'm not so sure.

:sad:

Matches like Mutis at the French Open where he really should've won easily, then seemed to get himself in a bit of a rut and just didn't seem to bother in the 5th set. Johansson at the US Open, I would've expected him to get extremely excited about coming back from 2 sets down to 2-2, but then he just seemed to lie back and somehow managed to lose the match. Then the DC Final, he seems so passionate about it but then against Nadal he seemed to stop chasing balls for long periods. I understand he gets frustrated on clay but I never thought I'd see it.

Not much to say about the Mutis and Johansson matches except gee, thanks for dragging them up again :o:o:p.... the DC Final, I think he really had nothing left to give in that match, he was cramping a little, it was very cold, the clay was very slow, I do think he was physically tired in that match. From all accounts, he didn't give up there, he just had nothing more to give. That was just my take on that particular match. I think the fact that he fought very hard in the Hewitt match at IW is a good sign, at least, I hope it is.

I want more of the old Roddick back, like the Chang match at the French Open 99 I think. Or the Hewitt at the 2001 US Open. Or the Nalbandian 2003 US Open. To be honest, if Andy went 2 sets down against anyone I just wouldn't fancy his chances, I'm not sure if fitness is a worry (I don't think so but last year he lost 5 setters in 3 of the slams) I just don't see the fighting spirit as strong as it used to be. There were signs he was back to his old self against Hewitt last week though.

It was 2001 French Open, but I know what you mean. But then, he had nothing to lose... now he does, and tangy made good points in that respect. Somehow he has to find a balance. The thing with the Johansson match at the USO is that he NEVER should have even BEEN down 2 sets to love. Once he started playing to his capabilities hew blew Johansson away in the two sets he had won - if he had come out like that from the start, he would've won that match in 3 or 4 sets relatively easily. I don't think fitness is a factor for him at all, not physical fitness anyway. That one DC match aside, I don't remember the last time I've seen him on court looking physically tired.

Like you said, let's just hope the fight he showed at the Hewitt match (and also the Moya match, after a weird tiebreak like that, the older immature Andy probably would've spazzed out at that... and also the way he fought through some of the smaller matches in San Jose where he was really struggling!) is a sign that he's taking a step in the right direction

Winston's Human
03-28-2005, 10:32 PM
I don't know if I would pick any of these options.

Is Andy playing as well as he or we would like? Clearly, the answer is no.

Are his results worse than last year? Other than his retirement this week in Miami and the Davis Cup loss, the answer is again no.

Compare last year with this year:

Australia: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
San Jose: Victory vs. Victory
Memphis: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
Indian Wells: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals

Havok
03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
The option I want is an inbetweenie of 1 and 2. Yes he is in a slump, but things don't look grim. This slump is a minor one, not something huge. I seriously don't see Andy falling out of the top 4/5 during this slump of his. He needs to clear his head and get back that attitude of "nobody's gonna beat me" and go out there and win matches he should be winning, and beat players he should be beating (Hewitt for fucking example :tape: ). He seems to not go into matches believing that he'll come out the winner for sure. The ONLY player he shouldn't be feeling about that way is vs Federer, and even at that he could be a little more upbeat when he faces him.

adeegee
03-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Oh I forgot to say, I completely agree with Andy's decision to start coming to the net a lot more during matches. I just wish he'd change his racquet though its so hard to volley with that racquet, he doesn't need the most powerful racquet around anyway he can generate enough pace of his own

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 10:37 PM
Compare last year with this year:

Australia: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
San Jose: Victory vs. Victory
Memphis: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals
Indian Wells: Quarterfinals vs. Semifinals

This is quite true, and easy to forget. The results are also above his 2003 points at this time, too. But, the losses this year have mostly been soooo tough.... that it's easier to focus on those :( Last year at Australia, he probably had chances to beat Marat but Marat was sort of like blessed that tourney - Andy didn't leave with any regrets and actually took a lot of positives from it. Compared to this year, where he basically lost the match for himself and then basically tanked the 4th set... that's rough. the IW losses were both bad, but again, I think this year's was a little worse. Memphis was the same - he was injured both times. San Jose was a big one for him this year because he came in there with very very little confidence and ended up playing very well in his last 2 matches. I hope he can keep THAT momentum and the fighting momentum from IW as he goes into clay season.

I agree with you too, Naldo - that killer look in his eyes, that's what he's gotta get back. He still has it once in a while but he needs it on a consistent level. That "if you wnna win, you're really gonna have to BEAT me" look.

Adam, I agree with you about his racquet.... but I don't see him leaving his Babolat any time soon. I think he's got a pretty sweet contract with them for starters, and he seems to really love it.

blosson
03-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Adam, I agree with you about his racquet.... but I don't see him leaving his Babolat any time soon. I think he's got a pretty sweet contract with them for starters, and he seems to really love it.

Doesn't Babolat have a different type of racquet? Nadal uses a different type.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Doesn't Babolat have a different type of racquet? Nadal uses a different type.

Yeah they have a few different types for pros, I think... but they're all still mostly about power, as far as I know. And there are plenty of players who use the same racquet as Andy and can get good touch at the net.... and once in a while Andy can do it when he feels like :lol:

blosson
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
ok got the full list here, who can volleying in this lot?

Andy*RODDICK* Pure Drive Team + [USA]
Carlos*MOYA* Pure Drive Team [ESP]
Nicolas*MASSU* Pure Storm Team [CHI]
Ivan*LJUBICIC* Pure Drive Team + [CRO]
Fernando*GONZALEZ* Pure Storm Team [CHI]
Feliciano*LOPEZ* Pure Drive Team + [ESP]
Luis*HORNA* Pure Control Team [PER]
Rafael*NADAL* Aeropro Drive [ESP]
Igor*ANDREEV* Pure Drive Team + [RUS]
Ricardo*MELLO* Pure Drive Team [BRA]
Julien*BENNETEAU* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Gilles*MULLER* Pure Control Team [LUX]
Jan*HERNYCH* Pure Control Team [CZE]
Kenneth*CARLSEN* Pure Control Team [DEN]
Lars*BURGSMULLER* Pure Control Team + [GER]
Wayne*ARTHURS* Pure Drive Team + [AUS]
Arnaud*CLEMENT* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Flavio*SARETTA* Pure Control Team + [BRA]
Alex*CORRETJA* Pure Drive Team + [ESP]
Alejandro*FALLA* Pure Drive Team [COL]
Mariano*PUERTA* Aeropro Drive [ARG]
Justin*GIMELSTOB* Pure Control Team [USA]
Albert*PORTAS* Pure Drive Team [ESP]
Harel*LEVY* Pure Drive Team [ISR]
George*BASTL* Pure Control Team + [SUI]
Peter*LUCZAK* Pure Control Team + [AUS]
Sebastien*DE CHAUNAC* Pure Drive Team [FRA]
Wayne*BLACK* Pure Drive Team [ZIM]
Luciano*VITULLO* Aeropro Control [ARG]
Julien*MAIGRET* Aeropro Control [FRA]
Brian*DABUL* Pure Control Team + [ARG]
Franco*FERREIRO* Aeropro Control [BRA]
Martin*VILLARUBI* Aeropro Drive [URU]
Brian*MAC PHIE* Pure Storm Team [USA]
Marcel*FELDER* Pure Drive Team + [URU]
Scoville*JENKINS* Pure Storm Team [USA]
Yari*NATALI* Aeropro Drive [ITA]

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
LOL wow..... These are the people who, to my knowledge, can volley at least decently, I would imagine there are more. Plus there are some women's players who use the racquet and can also volley (Kimmy Clijsters comes to mind)

Carlos*MOYA* Pure Drive Team [ESP] (this might be debatable, but I think he's ok)
Ivan*LJUBICIC* Pure Drive Team + [CRO]
Feliciano*LOPEZ* Pure Drive Team + [ESP] (serve-volleyer)
Wayne*ARTHURS* Pure Drive Team + [AUS] (serve-volleyer)
Arnaud*CLEMENT* Pure Drive Team + [FRA]
Justin*GIMELSTOB* Pure Control Team [USA]
Wayne*BLACK* Pure Drive Team [ZIM] (one of the top doubles players, I assume he can volley ok)
Brian*MAC PHIE* Pure Storm Team [USA] (good doubles player, I assume he can volley ok)

zoltan83
03-28-2005, 11:08 PM
I choose the option 2 too... For the same reason than the majority of others people here. ;)

Breaker
03-28-2005, 11:12 PM
Is the pope catholic?

blosson
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Is the pope catholic?

No the pope is part of Carlosism - Carlos the great who lives in queen kell's bedroom.

Deboogle!.
03-28-2005, 11:33 PM
Just a friendly reminder.....

http://www.broadbandreports.com/r0/download/456874~fd4ef98aa75c3bb430fc8f3514143e03/donotfeedtrolls.gif

snaillyyy
03-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Deb :worship: but omg I must be worse off than I thought cause that pic made me laugh more than anything today :lol: :retard:

Katdiva7
03-28-2005, 11:45 PM
For me it seems nearly all mental, but he seemed to be moving past it a little before he got injured (hence fighting with Hewitt the whole way at Indian Wells). But only time will tell. I think once he beats someone in a really physical and mental match, he will get his stride back. Hopefully he has a good (or atleast better) clay court season to lead into the grass and hard court stuff. Oh and if he could freaking beat Hewitt that would probably help.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 01:18 AM
PMac and Cliffy are talking during Roger's match about how great players, when they're up a set and on serve in the second, will really step it up at 3-3 or 4-3 or so in the second to put the match away. Andre did it earlier today and they are talking about Federer doing it right now.

This is something Andy really could improve upon, don't you guys think? So many times, Andy will pull out a first set and then have either a much closer 2nd set or even lose it. He's not the best at just putting down the hammer.

snaillyyy
03-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Agreed Deb. He seems to have lost confidence in his ability to just step up and close out at game. Major mental/confidence issues to be worked through. IMO doesnt seem to completely believe that the improvements in his game can guarantee he can pull out a tough win.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 01:29 AM
well even when he was at the top and high confidence, he was never really great at just sort of tightening the noose in the second set. But I agree, it's worse lately.

Carito_90
03-29-2005, 01:31 AM
:lol: Carole I just realised you have the same quote in your siggy as me :lol:

Okay, So I see how many of you want the old Andy back, but there are many things the old Andy didn't have that the actual one does. So I think the perfect Andy would be a combination of a lot of things during these last 2 years, but then again, any player would be at his/her best if you got all of his/her good things combined :lol: But what I mean is that we still haven't seen THE Andy, I mean, the Andy that is mentally and physically at his BEST (at the same time, of course). Maybe he has been close, but not quite THERE... I don't know if you get what I mean :lol: but then again, that's kinda off topic.

I don't think Andy has been playing bad, he showed some amazing tennis in IW and apparently in the match against Ancic in DC. His wrist injury was obviously dissapointing for everyone, I think he would have gone far if he hadn't got that but... what can you do, it certainly wasn't something he can be blamed for. Now, some people would say "he should have fought through the injury"... yes, you can do that if you're 50, 60 in the world and you have nothing to lose, but not if you are #3 in the world and you have lots of points to defend or win ahead. Its easier to drop 30 spots in the ranking when you're 50 in the world and gain them back, but its something completely different to drop 6 when you're #3 and be able to gain them back.
So I guess he can fight through an injury AS LONG as someone tells him or he knows he can't make it worse (which is not very likely). So yeah that's what I think as far as injures and the other stuff i talked about :p

I know I didn't make a whole lotta sense but... I don't know maybe someone can get my drift at least :sobbing:

snaillyyy
03-29-2005, 01:36 AM
:lol: Carole I just realised you have the same quote in your siggy as me :lol:

Great minds Caro ;) ;)

Golfnduck
03-29-2005, 01:43 AM
PMac and Cliffy are talking during Roger's match about how great players, when they're up a set and on serve in the second, will really step it up at 3-3 or 4-3 or so in the second to put the match away. Andre did it earlier today and they are talking about Federer doing it right now.

Roger just choked. He was serving for the match at 5-3 and choked it away. He just lost the 2nd set 7-5

Iheartandy&roger
03-29-2005, 02:21 AM
I'm scared where Andy is going this year so far it's really bad luck and it's hurting him for sure!

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 02:25 AM
Roger just choked. He was serving for the match at 5-3 and choked it away. He just lost the 2nd set 7-5

Roger is 43-1 since last August, I think he's entitled to have a rough match once in a great while. Doesn't change the point that Andy OFTEN has a tough time raising his level and putting a match away in the 2nd set.

Golfnduck
03-29-2005, 02:38 AM
That is true. Hopefully Andy watched this match. Roger isn't that unbeatable.

euroka1
03-29-2005, 02:49 AM
Even the best of us can choke but some of us do it more often than others. That was a pretty tense match.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 03:10 AM
I meant to reply to this post before and forgot :smash:

Okay, So I see how many of you want the old Andy back, but there are many things the old Andy didn't have that the actual one does.

2005 Andy's game with 2003 Andy's head... can we do that? ;)

I don't think Andy has been playing bad, he showed some amazing tennis in IW and apparently in the match against Ancic in DC.

This is quite true. (I finally got the Ancic match on tape from my parents and watched it, such a different view than in person :lol: but yes, he played very well in that match and mentally recovered nicely after losing the first set). It's just the big matches that have been a problem :awww:

So I guess he can fight through an injury AS LONG as someone tells him or he knows he can't make it worse (which is not very likely). So yeah that's what I think as far as injures and the other stuff i talked about :p

Andy has a great team around him. Dougie is the best in the business, or certainly among the best - and Dean certainly knows how to deal wth an injured player if he dealt with Todd Martin for 8 years:lol: Andy doesn't seem to take unnecessary risks, he seems to know when he should continue to play and when he should not.

He could've continued to play the match against Fernando but he would probably have lost, and he could possibly have done more damage - he absolutely did the right thing by retiring and he absolutely did the right thing by pulling out of his Memphis match. Let's just be thankful the injuries both ended up to be minor and won't really affect him THAT much, at least not in the long-term. At least they were unlucky flukeish things and nothing chronic/serious/due to poor fitness.

Yea it sucks b/c he almost definitely probably would've won Memphis and most likely would have won at least a few rounds at Miami, but I'm just trying to believe that it will all happen for a reason and I'm just trying to have faith that Andy will be smart and use the time where he can't play to do other things that will benefit his results on court.

I know I didn't make a whole lotta sense but... I don't know maybe someone can get my drift at least :sobbing:

You definitely did make sense!!!

Fumus
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Blarg...wow...I just finished all the back reading. Yea I was kidding about the visor, silly shots, etc. I think he's grown up and he's gotten past that, even though that was alittle more entertaining to watch, what was his record like when he acted that way?

I think Andy's game now is good enough to beat anyone. He just needs to serve better in tbs, convert bps more often and suddenly alot of the matches Andy has been losing that he shouldn't be, he will be winning. I think winning big matches for big titles is the only he will be confident again.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 03:40 PM
There's an article called "What's wrong with Roddick?" here: http://www.nysun.com/article/11331

but you have to pay to get access. :ras:

Fumus
03-29-2005, 04:36 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/03/22/tennis.mailbag.5/

Tennis mailbag, with CNN's Candy Reid

Q. Hi, first of all I love your presentation of world sport keep up the good job. What's wrong with Andy Roddick? I personally think he's the best male tennis player but he seems unfocused.
Thanks, Josephine Daudu

A. Well Josephine, firstly I'm glad you enjoy the show. Secondly I don't think Roddick is un-focused but it does look like he's trying to work on a few things at the moment and it always takes time (unless of course you have the natural ability of Roger Federer, who it seems can hit any shot at any time!)

Roddick is approaching the net much more than he has in the past because he knows it will help him in the long run. But as any athlete knows, you can work on something in practice, but confidence will only come by executing it in competition.

Put it this way, the two people Roddick has terrible records against are the two players who are ranked above him, Federer and Hewitt, so in order to get back to number one he has to do a few things differently.

blosson
03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
I think Roger was underestimating Zabaleta. He usually doen't choke when playing top players. I'm sure he was thinking 6/2 6/2 before the match.

I'm also sure Zabaleta is very happy for taking a set from The Fed.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Zabaleta was fearless and never accepted defeat, he just kept going at Roger and attacked his FOREHAND! If the top players could play Roger like that, they'd win more often.

Fumus
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
Zabaleta was fearless and never accepted defeat, he just kept going at Roger and attacked his FOREHAND! If the top players could play Roger like that, they'd win more often.

Yea, if Roger shanked his backhand like that and commited 5846156 errors in matches more often against the top players they might actually grab a couple wins.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 04:51 PM
But Ryan, he was forced out of his element by Zabaleta's relentlessness. It got into his head. You could see that. I mean sure the wind was making him mishit some balls but the DF on the break point and stuff... he was affected and part of that was the way Zabaleta just fearlessly went after him.

Carito_90
03-29-2005, 04:55 PM
:lol: No kidding Carole! ;)

2005 Andy's game with 2003 Andy's head... can we do that? ;)

I wish we could :lol: But then again, I'm sure Andy's mentality still wasn't GREAT back in 2003 so that's what I mean when I say Andy hasn't reached his best. Maybe we still have to wait.

This is quite true. (I finally got the Ancic match on tape from my parents and watched it, such a different view than in person :lol: but yes, he played very well in that match and mentally recovered nicely after losing the first set). It's just the big matches that have been a problem :awww:

Yes, definitely. Though he really impressed me in the match against Hewitt and Moya. Especially the Moya one I'd say. 2002/2003 or even 2004 Andy would have completely lost his mind after losing a TB like that (a bad call by the chair umpire) yet he didn't and even raised his level. Quite impressive. The same in the Hewitt match. That wouldn't have happened before though he last TB was dissapointing. But he did play some great tennis through the whole match.

Andy has a great team around him. Dougie is the best in the business, or certainly among the best - and Dean certainly knows how to deal wth an injured player if he dealt with Todd Martin for 8 years:lol: Andy doesn't seem to take unnecessary risks, he seems to know when he should continue to play and when he should not.

He could've continued to play the match against Fernando but he would probably have lost, and he could possibly have done more damage - he absolutely did the right thing by retiring and he absolutely did the right thing by pulling out of his Memphis match. Let's just be thankful the injuries both ended up to be minor and won't really affect him THAT much, at least not in the long-term. At least they were unlucky flukeish things and nothing chronic/serious/due to poor fitness.

Absolutely agreed.

Yea it sucks b/c he almost definitely probably would've won Memphis and most likely would have won at least a few rounds at Miami, but I'm just trying to believe that it will all happen for a reason and I'm just trying to have faith that Andy will be smart and use the time where he can't play to do other things that will benefit his results on court.

Woah... is that Deb being... positive?! I'm so proud of you :lol:

Anyway, Andy does need to start winning big matches again, start beating top players, or players he hasn't been able to beat lately. That, and constantily playing very good tennis is going to make him gain confidence, little by little.

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Woah... is that Deb being... positive?! I'm so proud of you :lol:

:nerner:

blosson
03-29-2005, 05:00 PM
The lower ranked players can have a go at it as they have nothing to lose. Do you remember the Japanese player who made Roger work harder earlier this year?

However i still think Roger underestimate these lower ranked players until he finds himself in trouble.

I guess the top players need to watch these exciting matches and learn a thing or two.

Carito_90
03-29-2005, 05:01 PM
:lol:

Deboogle!.
03-29-2005, 05:03 PM
The lower ranked players can have a go at it as they have nothing to lose. Do you remember the Japanese player who made Roger work harder earlier this year?

However i still think Roger underestimate these lower ranked players until he finds himself in trouble.

I guess the top players need to watch these exciting matches and learn a thing or two.

He might underestimate them a little, sure. But he had also lost to Zabaleta at this very tournament, so he knew what his opponent was capable of. The thing is, against Roger, the top players don't even have anything to lose anymore. Whether it's Hewitt at #2 or Suzuki wherever he's ranked.... Roger's still way way better, so it doesn't matter :lol: Anyone who plays Roger is expected to lose, so there is not a whole lot more expectation on Lleyton or Andy or Andre or whomever than anyone else, IMO. They just need to get into that mindset for themselves, though.

Fumus
03-29-2005, 05:25 PM
But Ryan, he was forced out of his element by Zabaleta's relentlessness. It got into his head. You could see that. I mean sure the wind was making him mishit some balls but the DF on the break point and stuff... he was affected and part of that was the way Zabaleta just fearlessly went after him.

That's right Zabaleta was relentless with the elements, he controls the wind and the rain...and he made it soo windy it forced Fed out of his element, just like Andre did at USO but sadly Fed is god and above the elements although they can piss him off from time to time.

!!MIGHTY ZABALELTA!! http://www.hilton-imaging.co.uk/photofantasy/pics/litening.jpg

blosson
03-29-2005, 05:30 PM
hahaha great one.

How can Roger be 43/1 ? Is this a record or is there anyone else who did even better?

Swiss milk must be really good. Can we get some for Andy?

Havok
03-29-2005, 07:45 PM
speaking of choking, Hype lost her huge lead vs Christine and it looks like it's going to 3 sets.:lol:

thelma
03-29-2005, 07:53 PM
!!MIGHTY ZABALELTA!! http://www.hilton-imaging.co.uk/photofantasy/pics/litening.jpg

:lol:

Too bad it is not work at all

Fumus
03-30-2005, 05:03 AM
hahaha great one.

How can Roger be 43/1 ? Is this a record or is there anyone else who did even better?

Swiss milk must be really good. Can we get some for Andy?

Hes not playing playing well...and hes still winning... :sad:

Fumus
03-30-2005, 05:05 AM
speaking of choking, Hype lost her huge lead vs Christine and it looks like it's going to 3 sets.:lol:

Naldo...I am in love with your avatar...:hearts:

blosson
03-30-2005, 07:34 AM
Dokic dressed as Kounikova?

Fumus
03-30-2005, 03:44 PM
Dokic dressed as Kounikova?

alas there is a Dokic thread now....