Elranzo
03-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Good, i hate that cheating argentine :)

Aleksa's Laydee
03-28-2005, 04:31 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: TAYLOR!!!

Alvarillo
03-28-2005, 04:33 PM
i saw some games and Taylor played excellent tennis!
congrats :)

jazz_girl
03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
He's been doing some serious damage this year: Safin, Hewitt, Coria, Nalbandian...

holagirl56
03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
Coria's game has really gone down in a hurry ever since that French Open final.

ugotlobbed
03-28-2005, 04:37 PM
go rafa!

RonE
03-28-2005, 04:39 PM
This is uncanny :eek:

How many seeded players will make it through to the quarterfinals at this rate? :tape:

Chloe le Bopper
03-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Yeah. You'd almost think he sat out for 6 months with an injury :eek:

Good job, Taylor. This is not a surprise. You never know what you're going to get with Dent :)

User ID 4783
03-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Don't forget he missed a lot of the last season due to injury

Chloe le Bopper
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Don't forget he missed a lot of the last season due to injury
No! His game has just gone downhill! That was an excellent, accurate summary of the State of Coria.

tennischick
03-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Coria a puzzle (to non-Latins)

By Ian Katz
Staff Writer
Posted March 28 2005

KEY BISCAYNE ˇ It was late afternoon the Sunday before the start of the Nasdaq-100 Open, and a shirtless, bulked-up Guillermo Coria wouldn't stop chattering.

Except for a couple of matter-of-fact observations as his stadium court practice was winding down -- "I can't hit a serve into the court" -- Coria's monologue to his coach and a few friends was about his favorite tricks.

Holding his racket perpendicular to the ground, Coria balanced a ball on the side of the racket frame for several seconds, thrust the ball into the air, quickly grabbed the racket by its head and hit the ball nearly out of the stadium with the racket grip. "Ahi esta." There it is, Coria said in Spanish.

This was not the quiet, slight Argentine who is an enigma to many tennis fans. The fifth-ranked Coria, last year's losing Nasdaq-100 finalist (to Andy Roddick), is little known outside Latin America in part because he is the rare top player who does not speak to reporters in English.

Among those who follow tennis, Coria is El Mago, the magician, for his speed and touch. Andre Agassi, on the tour since 1986, calls the 5-foot-9 Coria "the fastest I've ever played against," including speedsters Michael Chang and Lleyton Hewitt.

To casual fans, Coria, 23, is the guy who let last year's French Open slip away. In fact, more than any men's player, Coria has demons to erase.

At last year's French on slow red clay, Coria was on his way to one of the event's most impressive runs. Going into the final against countryman Gaston Gaudio, Coria had lost just one of 19 sets in his six matches.

After taking a 6-0, 6-3 lead, Coria "became nervous," he said after the match. "I couldn't control [it]." The nerves gave Coria leg cramps, and Gaudio equaled the match at two sets. In the fifth set, Gaudio saved two match points -- almost hitting a couple of shots out during those points -- and won 8-6.

Coria was devastated. "I had the match in my hands," he said.

Argentine tennis cognoscenti believe that Coria has recovered.

"I think he's over it," said Franco Davin, who once coached Coria and now coaches Gaudio. "He's such a great player and competitor, he'll be fine."

Gustavo Flores, a sports writer with Clarin, Argentina's largest newspaper, said Coria is learning not to take losses so hard. "He's maturing," Flores said.

Guillermo Salatino, a tennis journalist with Fox Sports, is emphatic: "Coria will win the French this year."

Coria, for his part, said after his second-round victory over Italy's Davide Sanguinetti at the Nasdaq on Saturday that he is "hungry" for the clay-court season that starts after the Nasdaq and culminates in the French Open in June.

He said he has gained seven pounds of muscle since January, though he still weighs 150, light for a top player. Against Sanguinetti, Coria regularly cracked first serves over 125 mph, several miles an hour faster than last year.

To become better known in this country, Coria will probably have to speak English. Though he understands the language and speaks reasonably well, he isn't comfortable speaking it with the media. Typically after a match, he gives a brief press conference for English-language media during which his answers are roughly translated.

Then he gathers with Argentine journalists, many of whom follow Coria to tournaments and have known him for years. The result is a huge gap between what Latin American sports fans and the rest of world know about Coria.

For example, the English transcript of Coria's news conference Saturday included: "It's very humid. It's not easy to play when it's so humid."

But Coria was more interesting with Spanish-speaking reporters. He told them he thought that bad line calls favored him and cost Sanguinetti a few points and that he suffered an upset stomach early in the second set after drinking an orange-flavored electrolyte liquid used by many of the top Spaniards.

Though not as introspective as Agassi or as comedic as Marat Safin, Coria is forthcoming and articulate. But to fans north of the border, El Mago remains a mystery.

source: sun sentinel

User ID 4783
03-28-2005, 04:43 PM
No! His game has just gone downhill! That was an excellent, accurate summary of the State of Coria.
Absolutely ;)

squirrel
very good match from Dent

alfonsojose
Dent :yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
03-28-2005, 04:46 PM
I'm under the impression that Coria prefers not to use his English with the media because he doesn't want to risk saying the wrong thing or being misquoted. I may have him confused with somebody else, though.

CooCooCachoo
03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
Taylor :D

Bibir
03-28-2005, 04:53 PM
This is uncanny :eek:

How many seeded players will make it through to the quarterfinals at this rate? :tape:
The Miami Cemetery registry : Roddick, Coria, Moya, Nalby,Safin, Pim Pim, Robredo,Canas....

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~randolph/arts_html/rip-cemeteries.jpg

NATAS81
03-28-2005, 04:58 PM
Taylor Dent was surrrrfinnnn...

Surfin Mi-Am-Ayyyyyy

:singer:

Golfnduck
03-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Great job Taylor :hug:

PaulieM
03-28-2005, 05:50 PM
really good win for taylor!keep this up :D poor coria :sad:

Fergie
03-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Coria :smash:

RonE
03-28-2005, 06:20 PM
:haha: Bea you never fail to deliver :worship:

liptea
03-28-2005, 06:22 PM
Oh no Coria lost to a good player. Is it all over for Guillermo...:rolleyes:

Tennis Fool
03-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Why don't we just hand Fed the trophy and discuss the clay season...

Chloe le Bopper
03-28-2005, 06:40 PM
Oh no Coria lost to a good player. Is it all over for Guillermo...:rolleyes:
Yup, time to pack it in.

tangerine_dream
03-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Why don't we just hand Fed the trophy and discuss the clay season...

No, because the great and powerful Fed-killer Ivan Ljubicic is still alive and kicking and he'll handily beat Roger because he got close to him a few times before and one time he almost beat him.

foul_dwimmerlaik
03-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Wah, Coria, WAAAHHHHH.

Congrads Taylor, he's on a roll.

RogiFan88
03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
No, because the great and powerful Fed-killer Ivan Ljubicic is still alive and kicking and he'll handily beat Roger because he got close to him a few times before and one time he almost beat him.

You assume that Rogi will make the final and that Rafa will lose to Ivan... anything's poss in this wacky tourney... what next? A hurricane? :p

*Ljubica*
03-28-2005, 07:33 PM
I was very impressed with Dent tonight - I'm not normally a fan of him or his serve and volley style, but he seems to have really improved and worked on other areas of his game in the last few months. When I saw him lose to David in Madrid last October he was truly awful, and I couldn't see how he justified his ranking ar all. Then, in February - I saw him beat David in Marseille - I thought he was better than before but admit I thought the result was more down to David's bad play than anything else. But he really was excellent tonight - his speed around the court amazed me for such a big, heavy guy. Good luck to him.

KCVH
03-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Well done Taylor terrific.

Sjengster
03-28-2005, 09:32 PM
The conditions helped him a little, and Coria's rather rusty play - although one probably caused the other - but Dent played smartly from the baseline and made far fewer errors than I expected; indeed, by the end of the first set he had half the UE of his opponent. He didn't really try to chip-charge and attack on Coria's serve, but got the ball back in play and remained consistent in the rallies, knowing that Coria couldn't hurt him that much, and he pulled off some remarkable diving volleys. That said, Coria's passes in the wind were rather high at times, giving Dent easy putaways, and he hardly used the lob at all.

Coria really couldn't get onto Dent's serve at any stage, which shows how Dent has managed to improve this year because he can lose serve with alarming regularity when you don't expect him to. The best chance Coria had was 0-30 at 2-1 in the second set, and he was over-anxious on a passing shot at 15-30 and hit it long. I just hope Dent can start converting these big wins into good runs at the major tournaments, as he himself said afterwards. Last 16 places aren't really good enough anymore.

Roger-No.1
03-28-2005, 09:43 PM
I was very impressed with Dent tonight - I'm not normally a fan of him or his serve and volley style, but he seems to have really improved and worked on other areas of his game in the last few months. When I saw him lose to David in Madrid last October he was truly awful, and I couldn't see how he justified his ranking ar all. Then, in February - I saw him beat David in Marseille - I thought he was better than before but admit I thought the result was more down to David's bad play than anything else. But he really was excellent tonight - his speed around the court amazed me for such a big, heavy guy. Good luck to him.
True

Serve and volley.... Dent is playing better than expected