And the bottom half of the draw gets weaker..(8)Nalbandian loses to ferrer 6-7 1-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

And the bottom half of the draw gets weaker..(8)Nalbandian loses to ferrer 6-7 1-6

Elranzo
03-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Wowzas

Alvarillo
03-27-2005, 10:49 PM
DvD :worship: :eek: :woohoo:
Now Ferrero vs Ferrer , good luck JCF :)

lucashg
03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
That's unbelievable :eek:
I think it might be possible that Ferrero will meet Federer in the final and beat him, wasn't he the last one to defeat Roger in a final?

Nacho
Ferrero might reach the semifinals! :eek:

(QF vs either Hrbaty or Monfils)

El Legenda
Go Ljubo...this is kind getting handed to you...JUST BEAT NADAL.

gravity
03-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Yeah but what the hell happened to Nalbandian? Did anyone see the match? Was he carrying any sort of injury or did he just tank after blowing the first set?

jazz_girl
03-27-2005, 10:53 PM
Just pathetic :mad:

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Just pathetic :mad:

Really, really, really pathetic. :fiery:

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah but what the hell happened to Nalbandian? Did anyone see the match? Was he carrying any sort of injury or did he just tank after blowing the first set?

I'm going with the tank. That's all I'll say for now.

Alvarillo
03-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Really, really, really pathetic. :fiery:

why? Ferrer has beaten Nalbandian in 4 of 5 times they've played ....

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 10:59 PM

I am aware of that, but the surface was clay-a surface that David F. has a clear advantage on. I would've thought that David N. would've shown more game on this surface than today's effort.

jazz_girl
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
They were on clay, but David has been playing like crap all year. He was even serving for set here, and lost it. And only played well 1 game not to be bageled. For me, that's pathetic...

jole
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
Nalbandian had chances, no clue how he didn't at least win the first set.

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Nalbandian had chances, no clue how he didn't at least win the first set.

Of course, when he's serving for it, he loses it. I never understood that.

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:02 PM
They were on clay, but David has been playing like crap all year. He was even serving for set here, and lost it. And only played well 1 game not to be bageled. For me, that's pathetic...

Really, really pathetic. I don't understand what happened here. David....get help...today....

NATAS81
03-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Nalbandian gets 82% of his first serves in on the 2nd set and comes away with 1 game.

Can't say I sympathize with someone as ripped as him.

CassL
03-27-2005, 11:08 PM
This is like a walk to the final for Ljubicic.

BlackSilver
03-27-2005, 11:12 PM
I think that Nalbandian is just going through a bad fase in his carrer, it happens to everybody. I personally don't really care if he plays bad now, I prefer much more too see him playing bad tennis now than in the clay season :)

nkhera1
03-27-2005, 11:20 PM

Isn't the Nasdaq 100 open on hardcourt.

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Isn't the Nasdaq 100 open on hardcourt.

That was the point she was trying to make. Different surfaces should've yielded a different result, but I guess we were mistaken.

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:24 PM
I think that Nalbandian is just going through a bad fase in his carrer, it happens to everybody. I personally don't really care if he plays bad now, I prefer much more too see him playing bad tennis now than in the clay season :)

Unfortunately, I don't see those results improving in clay season. You're welcome to prove me wrong, however.

nkhera1
03-27-2005, 11:27 PM
That was the point she was trying to make. Different surfaces should've yielded a different result, but I guess we were mistaken.

I misunderstood the post. Thanks for clearing it up.

nkhera1
03-27-2005, 11:28 PM
Can someone explain David's game to me. I've heard his serve is very weak but is it because it is slow or not placed well. Also how is his movement, volleys, forehand, backhand, return of serve, etc.

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:35 PM
Can someone explain David's game to me. I've heard his serve is very weak but is it because it is slow or not placed well. Also how is his movement, volleys, forehand, backhand, return of serve, etc.

Watch a match of his, and you can draw your own conclusions. Of course, you won't get to see much of David here unless he plays an American, but hey....

nkhera1
03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Watch a match of his, and you can draw your own conclusions. Of course, you won't get to see much of David here unless he plays an American, but hey....

thats the problem

sigmagirl91
03-27-2005, 11:38 PM
thats the problem

The solution...get the Tennis Channel....

nkhera1
03-28-2005, 12:10 AM
The solution...get the Tennis Channel....

They don't have it in my area.

erik-the-red
03-28-2005, 12:26 AM
I saw a Mercedes-Benz Play of the Week clip of him against Jarkko Nieminen and my conclusions are as follows:

1. Nalbandian has solid groundstrokes.
2. Nalbandian's footwork is fine.
3. Nalbandian has difficulty finishing points; his shots are safe, not penetrating.

Number three may be it.

ugotlobbed
03-28-2005, 12:30 AM
im making no more prediictions on nalbandian......he let me down......but i really wanted him to get into top 5....poor nalby

Scotso
03-28-2005, 12:32 AM
Daviddddddd :banana:

Scotso
03-28-2005, 12:33 AM
Ferrer that is :angel:

Gigan
03-28-2005, 01:12 AM
it's not nice David, again lost to no name...why?
We will wait for your good next tournament!

Billabong
03-28-2005, 01:14 AM
:eek:

sigmagirl91
03-28-2005, 01:15 AM
They don't have it in my area.

They don't have it here either.

ftd999
03-28-2005, 01:46 AM

At his best, Nalbandian is very fit and very consistent off his groundies. He grinds people mentally, but not really in the way you'd normally think of an Argentine. His groundies seem flatter to me than your typical South American player, hence his ability to to well on other surfaces. He's definitely a counter puncher, and so maybe he's comparable to Hewitt. As for his serve, I don't really remember too much there. He seems to have a very good return, and his matches are fun to watch. A lot of long rallies and very tough fighting. He seems like an intense guy, and when his groundies are on he just doesn't seem to miss.

At the AO, Nalbandian looked like he may have been a bit overweight. Against Hewitt, I thought for a while that Nalbandian just didn't have enough on his ball. I thought he should have been going for more of a shot when he had the chance, he seemed tentative. But hey, it turned out to be 10-8 in the fifth, so can't really complain.

nkhera1
03-28-2005, 01:47 AM
They don't have it here either.

So what exactly is your point?

Daniel
03-28-2005, 01:49 AM
David :banghead: :smash: :silly:

sigmagirl91
03-28-2005, 01:50 AM

My point is: you may get to see more of him on the Tennis Channel than on ESPN.

Ace Tracker
03-28-2005, 01:57 AM

the match started out very poorly, with both players making tons of unforced errors...after trading early breaks, the game settled down with each player playing to his best strengths... Nalbandian does have a more effortless stroke, but Ferrer compensates that with a "never give-up" attitude and superb fitness... Nalbandian still looks to be a bit overweight, and even though he seems to be generally fit, his speed and movement become suspect the longer he plays...

Ferrer's tendency to run around his backhand even if displaced to the outskirts of the court, presented Nalbandian with countless opportunities to hit a down-the-line backhand shot to catch Ferrer out of position... Ferrer kept himself in the match on pure heart and adrenalin and counterbalanced Nalby's safe shots with a more risky and "aim at the lines" approach... Nalby was getting increasingly annoyed and sluggish the longer the set lasted, almost if he wasn't expecting that kind of struggle from Ferrer, and , despite the large contingent of Argentines in the stands, it was the Spaniard who was getting pumped up...

Serving for the first set at 6-5, Ferrer completely choked that game away, with an easy backhand unforced error and three double faults... but he redeemed himself in the tie-breaker, where he would run like a maniac leaving Nalbandian gasping for air and for any gift from the Spaniard, which wouldn't come his way...

After a dispirited perfromance in the tie-breaker, Nalbandian went on a sleep mode and found himself down 4-0 very quickly... the crowd urged him on, and one could see that he really wanted to make it a match even though he was spraying his shots wide and long... Nalby decided to play more aggressively and he was quick up 40-love... after a long baseline exchange, Nalby found himself at the net with an easy put-away volley, with Ferrer scrambling desperately on the right corner... Nalbandian didn't hit a well paced volley, and Ferrer, who was able to guess the right side punished him with a beautiful down-the line forehand passing shot... it was like deflating a balloon, or more aptly, like sucking out all of Nalby's confidence and desire... Confidence that now Ferrer sported at ease, and most of his hard hit shots were painting the lines by that moment... After playing a tight first set for 1:00 hour, the score was Ferrer 5-0 after only 26 minutes of second set...

Nalbandian still managed to avoid the bagel, but even with the public's incentive, couldn't stop the unforced errors to doom his chances while Ferrer served the match out...

nkhera1
03-28-2005, 01:59 AM
My point is: you may get to see more of him on the Tennis Channel than on ESPN.

I just asked someone to give me their impressions of his play because I can't see him play. If I could see him play, I wouldn't have asked how he plays.

lucashg
03-28-2005, 02:01 AM

I was gonna ask, but that's between you two. :p

It's just a shame that Nalbandian got ripped, really. Nalbandian/Ferrero could've been an interesting match to see. But now that the bottom half of the draw looks quite open, we'll get to see new faces advancing further into such a big tournament. Moya is the biggest name in this draw, but I don't see him doing that well. He had matchpoint against him when he played Blake and is looking for a three sets victory against T. Johansson.

In Federer's part of the draw, I guess Zabaleta, Mayer, Haas and Ancic can challenge him, if they meet (Zabaleta will, so we'll see). If he advances, it would be nice to see a match-up against Coria or Gaudio, but he'll likely meet Agassi in his semifinal. But there have been so many upsets, I don't really know.

ftd999
03-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Nice post, Ace Tracker. These kind of posts really help us poor folk who only got to see S. Williams trounce her opponent on ESPN. Now, if someone could enlighten us on the Ljubicic, Nadal, and Monfils matches in similiar fashion, things would be good.

Chloe le Bopper
03-28-2005, 03:18 AM
DvD :worship: :eek: :woohoo:
Now Ferrero vs Ferrer , good luck JCF :)

Poor umpire :scared:

roisin
03-28-2005, 12:05 PM
I think it might be possible that Ferrero will meet Federer in the final and beat him, wasn't he the last one to defeat Roger in a final?
i thought feds had never lost a final :shrug: jc beat him in the madrid semis in 2003.

i thought nalby was gonna win this one, i went to bed and he was serving for the 1st set. tha part of the draw has opened up, i hope jc is the one to take advantage of it now ;)

Blaze
03-28-2005, 12:16 PM
The last final Federer lost was not to Ferrero but to Jiri Novak at Gstaad 2003

roisin
03-28-2005, 12:24 PM
The last final Federer lost was not to Ferrero but to Jiri Novak at Gstaad 2003

novanora
03-28-2005, 01:59 PM
the match started out very poorly, with both players making tons of unforced errors...after trading early breaks, the game settled down with each player playing to his best strengths... Nalbandian does have a more effortless stroke, but Ferrer compensates that with a "never give-up" attitude and superb fitness... Nalbandian still looks to be a bit overweight, and even though he seems to be generally fit, his speed and movement become suspect the longer he plays...

Ferrer's tendency to run around his backhand even if displaced to the outskirts of the court, presented Nalbandian with countless opportunities to hit a down-the-line backhand shot to catch Ferrer out of position... Ferrer kept himself in the match on pure heart and adrenalin and counterbalanced Nalby's safe shots with a more risky and "aim at the lines" approach... Nalby was getting increasingly annoyed and sluggish the longer the set lasted, almost if he wasn't expecting that kind of struggle from Ferrer, and , despite the large contingent of Argentines in the stands, it was the Spaniard who was getting pumped up...

Serving for the first set at 6-5, Ferrer completely choked that game away, with an easy backhand unforced error and three double faults... but he redeemed himself in the tie-breaker, where he would run like a maniac leaving Nalbandian gasping for air and for any gift from the Spaniard, which wouldn't come his way...

After a dispirited perfromance in the tie-breaker, Nalbandian went on a sleep mode and found himself down 4-0 very quickly... the crowd urged him on, and one could see that he really wanted to make it a match even though he was spraying his shots wide and long... Nalby decided to play more aggressively and he was quick up 40-love... after a long baseline exchange, Nalby found himself at the net with an easy put-away volley, with Ferrer scrambling desperately on the right corner... Nalbandian didn't hit a well paced volley, and Ferrer, who was able to guess the right side punished him with a beautiful down-the line forehand passing shot... it was like deflating a balloon, or more aptly, like sucking out all of Nalby's confidence and desire... Confidence that now Ferrer sported at ease, and most of his hard hit shots were painting the lines by that moment... After playing a tight first set for 1:00 hour, the score was Ferrer 5-0 after only 26 minutes of second set...

Nalbandian still managed to avoid the bagel, but even with the public's incentive, couldn't stop the unforced errors to doom his chances while Ferrer served the match out...
Very very good report :worship: :worship: Thanks so much, AT. Ferrer always treats Nalby patiently with his "never-give up attitude", his stopless running and positive struggling can easily make Nalby annoyed, plus that hot humid weather that he dislikes to play with and later unsured liver disease....

His serving is terrible, but 5 serving games has been broken is still shocking. And i can't believe he even made 48 unforced errors in only 20 games :eek: well, the 6 double faults don't surprise me..... :rolleyes:

And thanks for telling the details of his only missing volley in total 9 ones :lol: still always good to see he would like to try approaching the net :)

Well, the match is undoubtedly a sad one, but it's not an end. Get well soon from that liver disease, Nalby :bounce: though i am still not clear what this disease is......

Sjengster
03-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Ferrer has a good game to play Nalbandian, it's not hard to see why he's beaten him three times on clay in straight sets given that he is very quick and has more topspin, therefore more margin for error, on his shots. Nalbandian's sole victory at the AO this year was extremely hard-fought, and that was on a hardcourt; it's match-ups like this that really expose his lack of a major weapon, either on the serve or off the ground, to put someone like Ferrer away. Just think, were it not for the X-Man's mental vacation then Naba would probably be in the last 16 by now...

holagirl56
03-28-2005, 03:48 PM
Well, now that the bottom half is incredibly weaker, it seems that JCF might actually have a chance to get his ranking up.

Roger-No.1
03-28-2005, 09:57 PM
Ferrer is a difficult player for Nalbandian.

David beat him for the first time in Australia 05...