Donald Young lost but had the chance to serve for the 2nd set... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Donald Young lost but had the chance to serve for the 2nd set...

Tennis Fool
03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
According to the stats, he broke Lisnard 3 times :eek:

Player 1 2 3
Jean-Rene Lisnard 6 7
Donald Young 4 5
Elapsed Time By Set 34 49

Statistics: Match • Set 1 • Set 2
Match Summary Lisnard Young
1st Serve % 49% 59%
Aces 2 2
Double Faults 8 0
Winning % - 1st Serve Pts. 24 of 35 = 69% 22 of 39 = 56%
Winning % - 2nd Serve Pts. 19 of 36 = 53% 10 of 27 = 37%
Winners (including service) 19 15
Unforced Errors 33 37
Break Point Conversions 5 of 13 = 38 % 3 of 3 = 100 %
Net Approaches 12 of 18 = 67 % 7 of 16 = 44 %
Total Points Won 77 60

CooCooCachoo
03-24-2005, 07:47 PM
I was almost excited that he took a set off that prick Lisnard :)

tennis elbow
03-24-2005, 07:51 PM
Donald is still too young and can be easily overpowered by the more experienced players... His game is very fluid and his movement superb, but his strokes lack sting and penetration for now, something that will naturally get adjusted the older and stronger he gets... Lisnard is not particularly a very powerful player, that's why I think Donald could hang on very close with him...

mishar
03-24-2005, 07:56 PM
For all the criticism (rightly) about his wild cards, this was an impressive effort by Donald. Obviously he won't play a MD event until at least the hard court summer -- I hope they don't give him too many. He's obviously not ready yet.

Jim Jones
03-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Young should do like Monfils. He played on the futures tour before ugrading to the challenger & main tour. At the futures level, Young has a chance of hetting a few matches under his belt & boosting his confidence. Having said that, though Donald lost nw at Miami, he played a strong match against Lisnard.

jackieglover
03-24-2005, 08:10 PM
His best showing yet, he'll be just fine in the future, can't expect too much too early

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2005, 08:12 PM
He'll be fine in the future if he's well managed and they don't burn him out first. I wish him the best of luck ad hope he continues developing his game in the juniors or at the challenger/future level :)

SwissMister1
03-24-2005, 09:15 PM
I had been betting against Young in every match (easy money) but I just couldn't bring myself to bet money on Lisnard, because there is no way I could sit there and root for Lisnard to win a match.

tennischick
03-24-2005, 09:20 PM
nicely done The Donald :hatoff:

and i agree with all the concerns expressed. his father seems a bit intense. not as bad as Yuri (no-one is as bad as Yuri) but pretty intense nonetheless.

adeegee
03-24-2005, 09:31 PM
Donald if you've got any sense you'd go back to the juniors now and build up some confidence. It's no good continually losing in straight sets to mediocre ATP Tour players. Your time will come, but you're not quite ready yet I'm afraid

NATAS81
03-24-2005, 09:37 PM
Break Point Conversions 5 of 13 = 38 % 3 of 3 = 100 %

And this is all he needs to focus on. He broke when he has his chances. Just needs to work on the service game. :yeah: Don

ys
03-24-2005, 09:44 PM
From what I've heard, he is lefty, meaning he has no chance to succeed in modern topflight tennis..

adeegee
03-24-2005, 09:46 PM
From what I've heard, he is lefty, meaning he has no chance to succeed in modern topflight tennis..

There's plenty of good lefty's with huge futures, Nadal and Verdasco especially

ys
03-24-2005, 09:52 PM
There's plenty of good lefty's with huge futures, Nadal and Verdasco especially

No future apart from claycourts.

I saw Nadal receive serve from Roddick at US Open last year. The mechanics of a lefty are simply not designed for that motion against a superpower shots.. Completely innatural. By the time he managed to lift his racket the ball was already slamming into the wall behind him.. If he tries to succees against power hardcourters, he will only get injured again and again.. And there is no guarantee that it is not going to be the same when power players are finally back in business on clay.. Federer, Safin, Ferrero..

Sjengster
03-24-2005, 09:54 PM
ys and his crap lefty theories are back! Woo-hoo!

adeegee
03-24-2005, 09:58 PM
No future apart from claycourts.

I saw Nadal receive serve from Roddick at US Open last year. The mechanics of a lefty are simply not designed for that motion against a superpower shots.. Completely innatural. By the time he managed to lift his racket the ball was already slamming into the wall behind him.. If he tries to succees against power hardcourters, he will only get injured again and again.. And there is no guarantee that it is not going to be the same when power players are finally back in business on clay.. Federer, Safin, Ferrero..

Verdasco was extremely close to beating Roddick on hard last week. Nadal beat Federer on hard when he was 17, reached the Australian Open 4th round and almost knocked out Hewitt on his own turf, reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon when he was 17. How can you say he can only play on clay? No doubt about it Roddick dominated him at the US Open, but it'll be a lot closer should they meet in the 3rd round in Miami

ys
03-24-2005, 09:59 PM
ys and his crap lefty theories are back! Woo-hoo!

The "crap lefty theories" are around for almost two years already.. And have they been disproved yet? :lol: Two years ago it was not a theory, it was a hypothesis.. Now, as it has passed the test of time, you are right, its status should be elevated to a theory status.. :bigclap:

ys
03-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Verdasco was extremely close to beating Roddick on hard last week. Nadal beat Federer on hard when he was 17, reached the Australian Open 4th round and almost knocked out Hewitt on his own turf, reached the 3rd round at Wimbledon when he was 17. How can you say he can only play on clay? No doubt about it Roddick dominated him at the US Open, but it'll be a lot closer should they meet in the 3rd round in Miami

Who cares about Miami? It is not even a warmup, it is completely meaningless.. It is worse than IW even.. That's why Federer tanked it last year.. And pushing Hewitt on RA is no big deal really.. When he does it on grass or decoturf, then we talk..

adeegee
03-24-2005, 10:08 PM
Who cares about Miami? It is not even a warmup, it is completely meaningless.. It is worse than IW even.. That's why Federer tanked it last year.. And pushing Hewitt on RA is no big deal really.. When he does it on grass or decoturf, then we talk..

what the hell are you talking about. Outside the GS, Miami is one of the tournaments the players care about the most. It's a Masters Series. Do you actually think Federer tanked the match? Did you see it or are you just making sweeping statements to back up your argument? Pushing Hewitt at the Australian Open is no big deal for a just turned 19 year old? Considering he 'can't play on hard' I would've said its a pretty good effort. The kid is 19, he was brought up in Spain how often do you think he played on grass? He needs time to get used to it, bear in mind he gets to play on it about 2 weeks a year. And anyway, he's played at Wimbledon once when he was 17 and beat the supposed grass-court expert Mario Ancic, before losing to Srichaphan in the 3rd round. I don't think that's too bad :rolleyes:

ys
03-24-2005, 10:21 PM
what the hell are you talking about. Outside the GS, Miami is one of the tournaments the players care about the most. It's a Masters Series.

Jouneymen care. Great players only care about Slams. And Miami is meaningless in terms of Slam preparation.

Do you actually think Federer tanked the match? Did you see it or are you just making sweeping statements to back up your argument?

Sure.. I saw that match as well as his match against Davydenko before that. He tried hard, he just could not find a way to lose match to Davydenko in a decent way.. Nadal is better than Davydenko so it was easier.

Pushing Hewitt at the Australian Open is no big deal for a just turned 19 year old? Considering he 'can't play on hard' I would've said its a pretty good effort. The kid is 19, he was brought up in Spain how often do you think he played on grass? He needs time to get used to it, bear in mind he gets to play on it about 2 weeks a year. And anyway, he's played at Wimbledon once when he was 17 and beat the supposed grass-court expert Mario Ancic, before losing to Srichaphan in the 3rd round. I don't think that's too bad :rolleyes:

It's all good... When he starts making Slam semis ( which, I think, will probably never happen ) then we talk.. Talking about someone beating "experts" and then losing in 3rd-4th rounds is not an area of my interest.

adeegee
03-24-2005, 10:29 PM
:haha: journeyman care about Miami....so is Federer going to tank his match against Olivier Rochus then? Why don't you put a lot of money on Rochus seeing as Federer obviously doesn't care :rolleyes:...also, seeing as great players only care about GS, its funny that Federer (who is obviously a great player) has won many tournaments already this year, which are a lot smaller than Miami.

I won't bother responding properly to your "He tried hard, he just could not find a way to lose match to Davydenko in a decent way. Nadal is better than Davydenko so it was easier." That just smacks of stupidity

Nadal has just turned 19, there's not many people that age that make Grand Slam semi's already. Yes there are a few but not many, plus Rafa has had a few injuries and is yet to play at the French Open which is most probably his best chance at this moment. Don't count him out of the other slams in the near future though.

ys
03-24-2005, 10:35 PM
:haha: journeyman care about Miami....so is Federer going to tank his match against Olivier Rochus then?

He won't lose to Rochus. But he won't win Miami.

Why don't you put a lot of money on Rochus seeing as Federer obviously doesn't care :rolleyes:...also, seeing as great players only care about GS, its funny that Federer (who is obviously a great player) has won many tournaments already this year, which are a lot smaller than Miami.

He is nuts.. He'll pay for it.. Just as he paid for it in Australia..

Nadal has just turned 19, there's not many people that age that make Grand Slam semi's already. Yes there are a few but not many,

That's not a point.. There are dozens or so other 19 yo who haven't made GS semis yet. The question is.. whether they'll make it at all..

plus Rafa has had a few injuries

The way the things are .. he'll have more of those..

and is yet to play at the French Open which is most probably his best chance at this moment.

At any moment.

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Don't mind ys. He's still a bit bitter over that time that he got his ass kicked by a lefty on the playground :devil:

ys
03-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Don't mind ys. He's still a bit bitter over that time that he got his ass kicked by a lefty on the playground :devil:

Becca, why do you always have to spoil everything? :lol:

bad gambler
03-24-2005, 10:40 PM
yo adeegee - nadal is a shit player with no furture whatsoever deal with it ok? :p ;)

Chloe le Bopper
03-24-2005, 10:41 PM
Becca, why do you always have to spoil everything? :lol:
I don't spoil things. I give them flavour!

adeegee
03-24-2005, 10:41 PM
You really don't have a clue mate

Federer had played 1 tournament this year before the Australian Open, the reason he lost wasn't due to him playing too many matches it was due to an inform Safin who played a great match. And if he doesn't care about Miami why not lose to Rochus? Why bother playing matches in tournaments he doesn't care about and tiring him out.

Name me 1 other teenager that has achieved as much as Nadal has thats around at the moment. 3 titles, a Davis Cup win, and commonly known as a huge talent. There have been others in the past who have won slams by the time they turn 20 but it just doesn't happen often these days. You'll be hard-pressed to find a teenager with as much potential, only Monfils comes close I'd say.

The French will probably be his best chance of a slam, I'm confident he'll win it at least once in his career. But that doesn't mean to say he can't play on hard. Ferrero's best surface is clay, he's reached the US Open Final and Australian Open Semi Final. Who says Nadal can't do the same?

adeegee
03-24-2005, 10:42 PM
yo adeegee - nadal is a shit player with no furture whatsoever deal with it ok? :p ;)

Your just winding me up, this other muppet is being serious I think, although its hard to believe with some of the stuff he's coming out with

Sjengster
03-25-2005, 12:22 AM
adeegee, it would be wise not to take ys too seriously. This is the genius who created the "Generation N" thread that I ran into during my first weeks at ATPWorld, over two years ago now, slating the New Balls for not living up to their potential and suggesting that we should look to the generation after them for Slam champions instead. 2003 proved him utterly wrong, he'll most likely be proven wrong about Nadal as well. I don't really like Nadal that much, but every post ys makes wants me to cheer him on all the way to the top.

Fee
03-25-2005, 12:40 AM
Thank you YS, for these posts. Just when I was beginning to miss the sheer idiocy of Coleburg... Wait, are you Coleburg?

darnyelb
03-25-2005, 04:06 AM
I was keeping track of the live scores. I was impressed he went up a break quickly in both sets and nearly took the second.

Keep at it, Donald.

Scotso
03-25-2005, 05:12 AM
This is less so an impressive effort by Donald and moreso typical Jean-Rene. He never wins easily... 6-4 7-5 is pretty routine for him.

CooCooCachoo
03-25-2005, 08:54 AM
I had been betting against Young in every match (easy money) but I just couldn't bring myself to bet money on Lisnard, because there is no way I could sit there and root for Lisnard to win a match.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Statement of the day.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-25-2005, 11:05 AM
This shows what Bollitieri's picks mean, the stupid bastard can't make a non-biased pick in his life.

WyveN
03-25-2005, 12:32 PM
Two years ago it was not a theory, it was a hypothesis.. Now, as it has passed the test of time, you are right, its status should be elevated to a theory status

It becomes a theory when you can name talented players who haven't succeeded simply because they are lefties. Fact is, there have been no left handed players talented enough to be at the very top of the game over the past decade, but this is just a coincidence and soon enough they will be there again.

WyveN
03-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Jouneymen care. Great players only care about Slams. And Miami is meaningless in terms of Slam preparation.

Everyone cares about slams more but that doesn't mean you tank TMS titles, notice how average players dont win them often.

He is nuts.. He'll pay for it.. Just as he paid for it in Australia..

So Federer lost at AO because he played to much tennis?

Lets see; between USO and AO:

Federer played 15 matches.

Safin played 29 matches.

hmmmmm.

adeegee
03-25-2005, 12:44 PM
Don't bother argueing, your wasting your time the guy hasn't got a clue

Alvarillo
03-25-2005, 12:48 PM
Donald should play Futures, Challengers and then try to play ATP MD but i think he will be another Richard Gasquet, he recieved a lot of WC, he used them, played some good matches and then ......... now he does well in a Challenger from time to time, this week he's playing well in Barletta but look at Nadal, he played the Futures circuit (won a lot of titles in Spain), next year played Challengers and reached some finals, and then he began to play ATP Qualys and MD. Now is seeded at Miami, has won a DC, 3 ATP Titles and he still has to play European clay court season on his favourite surface so ...
if i were Donald i would follow Nadal's example !

Experimentee
03-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Good effort, its the most games he's won in ATP so far and hes shown hes got the mindset to take his chances and try to hang with top 150 players. A year or two later he will probbaly beat someone like Lisnard with more experience.

I suppose Donald Young wants to play main draw ATP to get experience against the big guys and also to get the big paychecks, so that he can fund his future tennis training. Thats fine but I would say he shouldnt just be playing these events, he should mix it up with some Futures.

adeegee
03-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Donald should play Futures, Challengers and then try to play ATP MD but i think he will be another Richard Gasquet, he recieved a lot of WC, he used them, played some good matches and then ......... now he does well in a Challenger from time to time, this week he's playing well in Barletta but look at Nadal, he played the Futures circuit (won a lot of titles in Spain), next year played Challengers and reached some finals, and then he began to play ATP Qualys and MD. Now is seeded at Miami, has won a DC, 3 ATP Titles and he still has to play European clay court season on his favourite surface so ...
if i were Donald i would follow Nadal's example !

Agreed. Rafa has been given very sound advice, he got criticised for pulling out of IW last week but it was a good decision, he needs to make sure he doesn't burn out.

I'm not sure that Young is as strong physically or mentally as Rafa, though he's definitely got time on his side. He should reject the next WC he gets and stick to futures and challengers for the next year or 2

TennisLurker
03-25-2005, 01:38 PM
Poor Ys,The loss of Myskina to clay courter Martinez on hardcourts probably affected him badly + Masha not winning 1 game against Davenport..

SwissMister1
03-31-2005, 03:35 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CooCooCachoo again.

Oh well, props to being the only other Lisnard hater I've seen. And I'm half French, so it takes a lot for me to dislike him. But I do.