Burnout on the atp/wta tour? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Burnout on the atp/wta tour?

joeb_uk
03-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Hi there ;) i have just started my uni assignment and for the pyschological topic i have decided to discuss the concept of burnout. I have a few books/journal articles about burnout, but i was looking for some stories/names of players who suffered burnout (either atp or wta). Thanks guys :yeah:

liptea
03-22-2005, 11:09 AM
For my major assignment, I'm doing it on the Hokey Pokey. And dance fads through the years.

I would say Ferrero, but I'm not sure if it was due mostly to chicken pox or a worn body.

Angle Queen
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
I know this is MTF...but...

Jennifer Capriati

...comes to mind. She turned pro at 14...had a few good years...then dropped...and dropped and dropped. Check out her season-ending rankings (according to the wta site):

2004-10
2003-6
2002-3
2001-2
2000-14
1999-23
1998-101
1997-66
1996-24
1993-9
1992-7
1991-6
1990-8

'96 thru '98 were very, very lean times for her. She was busted for drugs and almost dropped out of tennis all together. To her credit...she has staged a comeback...and might make a good case study for you.

Can't really think of anyone on the mens side who's gone through a protracted mental meltdown. Perhaps it's because they're older when they turn pro (current crop notwithstanding)...and don't seem to be as pushed by their parents to succeed (this is why I believe it crucial for Hewitt to ditch his parental tag-alongs).

Good luck with your assignment.

Auscon
03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
one that comes to mind is Lleyton, only after his ranking drop in 2003, and limiting his tournaments played, every commentator seemed to be saying had been suffering from burnout after having such big years in 2001/2002

Anouk10
03-22-2005, 12:04 PM
Ferrero, Hewitt, Philippoussis, Safin..

Auscon
03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
would be interesting to look into Sampras.....in many interviews he goes into the toll it took on him to continue playing at such a high level for so many years, without ever really dropping off........which has plenty to do with why he says he's hardly even picked up a racquet since he retired

Auscon
03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Ferrero, Hewitt, Philippoussis, Safin..

with Philippoussis at least, things would probably be more related to his injuries and the struggle to keep trying to claw his way back after each set-back, as opposed to being burnt out

Jim Jones
03-22-2005, 12:15 PM
Daniel Elsner RIP

Auscon
03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Bjorn Borg maybe?

I know his leaving the sport at an early age probably had much to do with McEnroe starting to takeover their rivalry, but I'm sure it wouldve played a part

Puschkin
03-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Ferrero, the saddest example, because the full recovery is still to be done. He travelled like crazy across the oceans in late 2003, his schedule was horrible. Then he played the French in 2004 before being fully fit again and was cruelly punished. I can't prove it, but sometimes I feel he works too hard and is overtrained, just to compensate for missing results instead of being patient. But that is easier said than done I assume.

Having said all this, I sincerely want him back :wavey: .

joeb_uk
03-22-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys! atp/wta is welcome, i just needed some examples to discuss. Ive also found some studies related to burnout (and the effects it has on performers).

joske
03-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Justine and Kim... they played so intensively the last years that they got ill and/or injured

Kim seems to be back now tho, but I've heard some bad news about Justine who was training with Amelie and the press saw it and said Justine was shit :rolleyes: not that I care :)

Truc
03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I guess you already know this article, I found it interesting:
The top 10 tennis burnouts (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1533053,00.html)
(Borg, Hingis, Austin, Jaeger, Rios, Norman, Kournikova, Capriati, Medvedev, Dokic)

federer_roar
03-22-2005, 02:32 PM
Ljubo will soon burnout if keeps playing so much.

joeb_uk
03-22-2005, 02:34 PM
I guess you already know this article, I found it interesting:
The top 10 tennis burnouts (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2094-1533053,00.html)
(Borg, Hingis, Austin, Jaeger, Rios, Norman, Kournikova, Capriati, Medvedev, Dokic)
Superb!! thanks so much

joske
03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
yeah great article! thanks very much :yeah:

KarstenBraasch#1
03-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Jim Courier.

Auscon
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
Ken Rosewall....advocate for anti-burnout cream

jrm
03-22-2005, 03:47 PM
In other sports they say 'burnout syndrom' to cover up the depression

NATAS81
03-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Ljubicic is on pace :haha:

alfonsojose
03-22-2005, 05:23 PM
Courier

adeegee
03-22-2005, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't have said Bjorn Borg burnt out, he just was happy with what he achieved and fell out of love for tennis a little bit.

I'd say the main ones are Hingis (sadly) and Capriati before her renaissence

Richard Gasquet anyone??????.......A case could be made on why younger players should be shielded from the spotlight until their truly ready? Donald Young might be able to have a say.

tennis elbow
03-22-2005, 05:32 PM
I think the most notorious cases of an early burn-out are Tracy Austin and Andrea Jaeger...:sad:

I mean, these young ladies were on their way to achieve great feats before flaming out of the game in their early 20's...

boliviana
03-22-2005, 05:37 PM
I think the schedule is too much for the players . . . physically, mentally, emotionally . . .

Fee
03-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Austin had a back injury that she never recovered from, not sure she was really a burnout case.

Justine has begun admitting that part of her absence last year was due to burnout. Hicham Arazi said he didn't want to play anymore because of the travel, then came back at IW, so he might be worth looking into. Clijsters was a legitimate injury, so I don't know if that was burnout. That's about all I can think of.

TennisLurker
03-22-2005, 06:26 PM
Sabatini´s career was pretty much over in 1993, she had spent the least 5 6 years in the top 5 missing and choking chances to make it to number 1 and winning slams, she had a big choke against Mary Joe Fernandez at the french open that year losing after leading 61 51, and never recovered, started losing to players she previously owned, retired two years later in 1996 being 26 years old after barely playing that year.

boliviana
03-22-2005, 06:36 PM
re: clijsters . . . may not have been burnout but she's been pretty open about the fact that she enjoyed not playing for awhile and taking a break.

the very % of injuries has to be related to the pace . . . your body can only take so much.

Jenrios
03-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I'd agree on afew others that have been mentioned here - Hingis, Capriati for example.
I'd also add Rios, in that in 98, he played to exhaustion while suffering a back fracture, and this seems to have impacted on his later career and eventual retirement. He was the first player to have both groins operated on - an injury at the time most associated with football players. The likes of Rios, Hingis and Henin are small players playing a powerful game. In this case, talent can do nothing for them.

Bilbo
03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
Agassi wo was playing challenger in 1997 (or 1998?) and came back to win a few more Grand Slams and be the oldest #1 in history of tennis. Best comeback ever!

hola
03-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Burnout Syndrom it is not just that the palyer begin to play bad or fall in the rankings, it is illness, which must be heal by the doctors and where sportsmen must take some medicaments and can't compete at all. They are allways tired, don't believe in themselfs, that can happen because of the big pressure that was put on them. So I doubt, that all the names you listed have it, especially not Ferrero, who just had injuries. Ups and downs are nomal for sport. The example from tennis are obviously Justin Henin-Hardenne( I read it somewhere). In Germany for example Sebastian Deisler (from Bayern Munich) had it, and he spend some month in the clinic and worked with the psychiatrist. The same problem had and has it still now for more than a year Sven Hannawald, the ski jumper and he can't compete at all. So it is a mental illness.

joeb_uk
03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Yeah, people do think of burnout differently. Well here is the best definition i could find:

Burnout is defined as “An exhaustive psychophysiological response exhibited as a result of frequent, sometimes extreme and generally ineffective efforts to meet excessive training and competitive demands. In essence, burnout involves a psychological , emotional, and sometimes physical withdrawal from a formerly enjoyable activity in response to excessive stress or dissatisfaction over time” (Smith, 1986).

-ernie-
03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
Justine Henin told the Tennis Channel half the time she wasnt that sick she was just BURNT OUT. lol

jole
03-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Richard Gasquet d. Jeroen Masson 6-3 6-3.

alfonsojose
03-22-2005, 11:28 PM
re: clijsters . . . may not have been burnout but she's been pretty open about the fact that she enjoyed not playing for awhile and taking a break.

the very % of injuries has to be related to the pace . . . your body can only take so much.
She played too much singles and doubles. No other top ten player did it. I think the injury ould be an opportunity for her

Roger-No.1
03-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Sabatini´s career was pretty much over in 1993, she had spent the least 5 6 years in the top 5 missing and choking chances to make it to number 1 and winning slams, she had a big choke against Mary Joe Fernandez at the french open that year losing after leading 61 51, and never recovered, started losing to players she previously owned, retired two years later in 1996 being 26 years old after barely playing that year.
Sabatini, :tears:

joeb_uk
03-23-2005, 12:31 PM
ps does anyone know the rules/restrictions to prevent younger players playing too many tournaments? how many tournaments are they allowed to play on the junior circuit and the atp/itf circuit?
Also what are the minimum number of events a pro has to play? and the maximum?

thanks guys!

joeb_uk
03-23-2005, 12:40 PM
I have just found a VERY VERY useful article:
http://web.isp.cz/jcrane/IB/Athletic_burnout.pdf

I had the abstract from the gould study, but that was only 8 lines or so (journal article wasnt avaliable). But this website has some more info on the article which is very interesting:

In the in-depth interviews, one player said: ‘I just never wanted to practice anymore-.Thebiggest thing, though was lack of energy and lack of motivation, you know. I couldn’t getmyself to, you know, give 100 percent. Physically I wouldn’t feel that tired, but I guessmentally and emotionally I’d feel really drained.

uNIVERSE mAN
03-23-2005, 03:56 PM
kournikova never did anything to be burned out from.