serve backswing [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

serve backswing

Rex
03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
i need some serious help.
My coach has taught me a new backswing which most of the pros are using. I cant do it all that well, and i want a bit of proof. What i wanted to ask, is that if you kick your second serve is it very bad if its easy noticed compared to your first serve. I would also like some pictures of serve backswings, i mean when they are just about to hit the ball- when the racket is about their necks.

thanks

adeegee
03-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Firstly, I'd say if your not comfortable with it don't use it. There's no definitive way in which you should serve, look at Roddick he has a very unique serve and its probably the best in the word.

It doesn't overwhelmingly matter if its easy to spot that your going to kick the 2nd serve, most people do and most returners will expect a kick serve. If possible try and vary the 2nd serve though, throw in a few slice and flat serves every so often to keep them guessing.

Rex
03-21-2005, 05:37 PM
but the one my coach taught me is one for extra spin- kick or slice

adeegee
03-21-2005, 05:44 PM
but the one my coach taught me is one for extra spin- kick or slice

Your motion doesn't have to change depending on which serve you hit. Its the angle that you connect with the ball. Like for the kick serve you brush up through the back of the ball. You shouldn't have to change the motion. Obviously I might be wrong having never seen you serve, maybe it was necessary for your motion to alter it