At their best who is better Federer or Safin? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

At their best who is better Federer or Safin?

martinaHforever
03-21-2005, 12:10 AM
At their best who is better Federer or Safin?

I say Safin, just too much power in all departments. And I think Safin is a better fighter in 5-setters.

tennisman.
03-21-2005, 12:16 AM
Federer

lucashg
03-21-2005, 12:19 AM
Federer. If he plays his best, he won't need five sets to defeat Safin.

El Legenda
03-21-2005, 12:22 AM
Roger

mangoes
03-21-2005, 12:25 AM
Federer, without a doubt.

Oh, and the next time Safin faces Roger on the court, I don't think it will be the same result. Roger has something to prove...........................poor safin.

PaulieM
03-21-2005, 12:26 AM
ROGER!!

Becarina
03-21-2005, 12:28 AM
MARAT!!!!

NATAS81
03-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Rogi definitely won't be in a good mood after the AO final. I predict 4 sets MAX on Fed. Last time I bet on "oaf" as I understandably see him called 'round these parts proved fatal to the precious v$.

NYCtennisfan
03-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Fed leads the all-time series 6-2 with some very decisive victories. Safin beat him 9-7 in the fifth. Fed also served something like 53% first serves that entire match. He started out the match serving poorly, and ended it that way. Fed also won the first set when Marat served about 80% of his first serves in.

mangoes
03-21-2005, 12:36 AM
Fed leads the all-time series 6-2 with some very decisive victories. Safin beat him 9-7 in the fifth. Fed also served something like 53% first serves that entire match. He started out the match serving poorly, and ended it that way. Fed also won the first set when Marat served about 80% of his first serves in.

Thanks for reminding everyone of that. I think sometimes that is forgotten. I think I am one of the few that doesn't feel that Safin truly learnt the "secret" to beat Roger. On some levels, I feel as though Roger handed the match to Safin. Nevertheless, it was a great match.

Art&Soul
03-21-2005, 12:55 AM
If ROGI is on fire then one, two, three.... seven Maraters can't do anything :D :devil:

Darkheart
03-21-2005, 01:30 AM
This poll has a flaw. You can select both. :p

Anyway, Fed is near untouchable at his best and Safin is not far behind, but I give Fed the edge.

martinaHforever
03-21-2005, 02:02 AM
It is 6-2 in favor of Federer head-to-head but what is the head-to-head in slams? We all know Safin values slams a lot more than other tournaments.

martinaHforever
03-21-2005, 02:03 AM
This poll has a flaw. You can select both. :p

Anyway, Fed is near untouchable at his best and Safin is not far behind, but I give Fed the edge.

You are allowed to select both if you can't make up your mind or special cases such as multipool personality/Goran1,2 etc. :devil: :angel:

jacobhiggins
03-21-2005, 02:09 AM
No doubt about it, Federer by a long shot. Federer at his best (game wise, not accomplishment wise), I think might be the greatest player that has ever played the game. His form at last years USO was amazing. Safin is very good too, but not as good as Federer.

Havok
03-21-2005, 02:09 AM
I'd give it to Federer pretty easily actualy. Safin at his best is scary, but Federer's level is just that much higher.

Fergie
03-21-2005, 02:47 AM
Rogi ;)

BlackSilver
03-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Who cares? Unlike you all think, it's improbable that Federer will let Safin play his best or safin will let Federer play his firts class tennis to allow us to know the answer. This also depends on the surface

undomiele
03-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Borg could have beaten them both. ;) :p

intikab
03-21-2005, 03:00 AM
It is 6-2 in favor of Federer head-to-head but what is the head-to-head in slams? We all know Safin values slams a lot more than other tournaments.

Is that why he won his 2nd slam 41/2 years after winning his first.

drf716
03-21-2005, 03:01 AM
i don't care!
just kiddin'
but i don't care for roger so basically it's half true

undomiele
03-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Is that why he won his 2nd slam 41/2 years after winning his first.

I think the question of who he beat to win the most recent GS is more important at this point than asking how long its been. Beating Federer fair and square in a GS means he can do it again. Thats what matters.

intikab
03-21-2005, 04:01 AM
I think the question of who he beat to win the most recent GS is more important at this point than asking how long its been. Beating Federer fair and square in a GS means he can do it again. Thats what matters.

Yes Safin can certainly win more slams. I was just responding to the original poster who said that Safin values only slams. I referred to the long gap between his two slams to show that he has just been as inconsistent at slams as at lesser tournaments.

mickymouse
03-21-2005, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't even think twice. At their best, Safin does not even come close to Federer. It took Safin at his best to defeat Federer who isn't at his best, but Federer at his best can easily bagel World No 2 and 3 players in major tournaments.

CassL
03-21-2005, 04:12 AM
I wouldn't even think twice. At their best, Safin does not even come close to Federer. It took Safin at his best to defeat Federer who isn't at his best, but Federer at his best can easily bagel World No 2 and 3 players in major tournaments.

Safin at his best? Marat was missing some very easy shots! He could play much better. And when did Roger easily bagel Roddick in a major tournament? Thailand final? Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

raphael
03-21-2005, 04:14 AM
federer.

plus i dont like safin especially when he tank matches...hes a mouth breather too...probably from smoking too much

mickymouse
03-21-2005, 04:18 AM
Safin at his best? Marat was missing some very easy shots! He could play much better. And when did Roger easily bagel Roddick in a major tournament? Thailand final? Uh-huh. :rolleyes:

Umm, a lot of people would agree that Safin did play his best at the AO, but I guess in the end, that subjective. Perhpas you can give me a better example of Safin at his best?
I was just giving an example to show what Federer can do at his best, I wasn't thinking of Hewitt or Roddick. But since you brought it up, I do remember that Hewitt was the No 2 player at last year's USO and well, Federer did bagel him.

World Beater
03-21-2005, 04:27 AM
This will never happen. When was the last time you saw two top 10 players play their best against each other. Please someone give me an example. Anyone in the top 10 can beat federer at their best. Please dont use that wimbledon final where roddick played his best and federer presumably played his worst. Roddick played was hammering forehands left and right and forced federer into errors as a result of his great plays. Federer played very well the final two sets and roddick's level dipped. If moya or nalbandian or coria are playing their best, it would certainly preclude roger from playing his best.

What's important is the standard and ability of players to reproduce good performances, and fed is head and shoulders above Safin. Safin may be much better on his day, but when that day doesnt come often, who cares?

Aussie_Astrid
03-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Roger for sure

foul_dwimmerlaik
03-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Umm, a lot of people would agree that Safin did play his best at the AO, but I guess in the end, that subjective. Perhpas you can give me a better example of Safin at his best?You needn't look any farther then his AO quarterfinal against Hrbaty. It wasn't Marat's absolute best (the serve sucked), but he played much cleaner, far less nervous match, 'cause, naturally, the opposition wasn't much. Hrbaty, basically, allowed him to have his way throughout the match - not so against Fed. Marat was nervous, choked and missed makeable shots. Ditto Roger.
But since you brought it up, I do remember that Hewitt was the No 2 player at last year's USO and well, Federer did bagel him.Well, Safin did bagel Hewitt when Hewitt was the #1 player in the world, so what? Tennis doesn't work that way. You can't evaluate player's respective worth on the basis of whom they bagel and how often. Overall, I agree that Roger is a better player, simply 'cause he achieved more so far. But as someone said above we'll likely never see them at their peaks *against each other* to settle this argument once and for all.

robinhood
03-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Federer, of course!!!!

WyveN
03-25-2005, 11:43 AM
How can you judge when someone is playing their best? All we can do is judge them by their careers, what ifs dont mean much.

Rex
03-25-2005, 12:25 PM
the fat hippo- good amount of power from all departments, good off the ground and net- and a good serve.

Experimentee
03-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I think that in their last meeting Safin was at his best, and Roger played really well too, taking into account that its impossible for anyone to play their best when their opponent is playing that well. Federer wasnt at the level we are used to seeing from him just because he wasnt allowed to play like that because of Safin's power. So I'd say Roger is not definitely better. Usually when both play their best they have tight matches, so it is pretty close, at least closer than what some of you are saying.

Shadow
03-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Umm, a lot of people would agree that Safin did play his best at the AO, but I guess in the end, that subjective. Perhpas you can give me a better example of Safin at his best?

nope he didnt play his best at the AO. There were some GLIPSES of his best in some of the matches there, especially in the Federer match... but at the same time he had miserable periods and chocked at the matchpoints in that semifinal. In the first set he was even not really there in the match. So, there was still a lot of room for Safins best tennis.
With Safin its always a bit difficult, because in many Grand Slam matches he has some brilliant sets and one BAD set in the same match.

perrygreen
03-25-2005, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure how to measure who's better at their best. Some of you said that at that AO match Safin was at his best while Federer was not. People said that because they hadn't seen the best matches Safin played in 2000 when his forehand was also deadly and his movement was much better. Look at his poor forehand at AO, far far away from his best. As to Federer, he was clealy not at his best too as seen from those easy misses. From this match, the conclusion is when both of them are not at their best, they are close. Though Safin won the match, I would still say Federer actually had the edge of winning it, which is due to his mental toughness. As I have never seen them play with both at their best, I can just guess from the matches they played that Federer will have a MENTAL edge over Safin who is too fragile mentally.

CueroCoria
03-25-2005, 01:33 PM
Safin has more sheer talent but Federer is so much more mentally tough than Safin that it isn't even funny. So at their best physically and mentally Federer is better.

Billy Moonshine
03-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Safin at his best would outpower and outserve Roger and smack those returns for winners. He would volley sublimely and hit into the corners the most outrageous forehand and backhand winners.
Roger at his best would unleash his backhand to produce some of the most remarkable winners from all over the court, would run safin ragged,would deceive safin with his fine touch and wrong footing, would serve impeccably and any second serves would be punished.
However, playing at their best, their would be no weak second serves and so Safin would win i think because of his power and sheer weight of shot. Not saying that Roger isn´t powerful, but safin outguns him in that department and would win more cheap points.
It would be one hell of a match! the crowd would go crazy, tennis fans all over the world would rejoice!
Please, let me see it dear God! :worship:

Billabong
03-25-2005, 01:49 PM
I say Rogi:)!

alexito
03-25-2005, 03:50 PM
the question is very stupid, off course federer, safin win 1, loose 10, federer win 10 loose 1.

hablovah19
03-25-2005, 04:01 PM

:yeah:

And the match sure wasn't handed to him; he won it!! ;) :p

I vote for Marat! :angel:

hablovah19
03-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Safin at his best would outpower and outserve Roger and smack those returns for winners. He would volley sublimely and hit into the corners the most outrageous forehand and backhand winners.
Roger at his best would unleash his backhand to produce some of the most remarkable winners from all over the court, would run safin ragged,would deceive safin with his fine touch and wrong footing, would serve impeccably and any second serves would be punished.
However, playing at their best, their would be no weak second serves and so Safin would win i think because of his power and sheer weight of shot. Not saying that Roger isn´t powerful, but safin outguns him in that department and would win more cheap points.
It would be one hell of a match! the crowd would go crazy, tennis fans all over the world would rejoice!
Please, let me see it dear God! :worship:

Don't we wish this all! :wavey:

the cat
03-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Safin rarely plays at or near his best tennis while Federer often plays at or near his best tennis. :tennis: The question should be at their best who is better between Federer and Laver or Borg or McEnroe or Sampras?

erik-the-red
03-25-2005, 04:11 PM
To me, Safin is the only player who can defeat Federer when Federer is playing at the "inhuman" level.

When Safin is cool and calm, he can just play with so much explosive power and pace while minimizing errors.

All in all, I still voted for Fed, but Safin is the man who can outgun Rogi.

intikab
03-25-2005, 04:15 PM
the question is very stupid, off course federer, safin win 1, loose 10, federer win 10 loose 1.

kudos to alexito for being very objective - even though (s)he despises Federer, knows how obvious the answer to this question is.

A more apt comparison would be Safin vs Roddick or Ferrero.

jacobhiggins
03-25-2005, 04:56 PM
When people are that good, talent knows know bounds. I think you have to go off accoplishments and who has won in there meetings. I will say this though, when I watch Federer some of his shots are so amazing, it makes you go :eek: . Safin has incredible shots, but not like Federer's. That's the difference between the too....not the shots...but the winning.

holagirl56
03-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Federer, because he clearly wasn't playing his best at the AO 2005 match.

Bibir
03-30-2005, 09:24 PM
Are you sure that Marat was at his best?? I don't think so.

Maybe Federer was not at his best because Safin didn't allowed him to be at his best.

jrm
03-30-2005, 09:47 PM
Guys/girls who voted for Safin really haven't got a clue ... Roger at his best is from another planet!!!

DeccyB123
03-31-2005, 07:03 AM
Federer!

Becarina
03-31-2005, 07:10 AM

Maybe Federer was not at his best because Safin didn't allowed him to be at his best.

exactly. If Roger hadn't fell on his butt it may have been a different outcome...but I'm g;ad it wasn't ;)

syd
03-31-2005, 07:14 AM
Marat

NYCtennisfan
03-31-2005, 07:26 AM

When has he played better?

MariaV
03-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Roger at his best is from another planet!!!

That's true. JesusFed at his best is just soooo breathtaking. :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
So clear vote for him here.

Marat can be amazing too but only for so long and it's always so nerve-wrecking with him, even comfortably winning I always wonder if something might still go wrong (after the smallest distraction or whatever). I know Marat is too personal for me.

El Legenda
03-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Rogerer

Shadow
03-31-2005, 07:34 AM
When has he played better?

many times. Did u watch some tennis in 2000?

syd
03-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Federer, because he clearly wasn't playing his best at the AO 2005 match.
I think Roger was at his best when i see how he has beaten all his other opponents (agassi,...)
It's rather Marat who wasn't always at his best when Roger beated him 6 times (except may be in Houston where they were both playing great tennis)

Art&Soul
03-31-2005, 10:42 AM
Guys/girls who voted for Safin really haven't got a clue ... Roger at his best is from another planet!!!
Totally agree, he is the alien :)

syd
03-31-2005, 10:52 AM
we love him, How can we vote against him
I think they are both the best for the moment,
Marat needs regularity, he is playing great when he wants !!! :wavey:

mandoura
03-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Rodger definitely. There is no doubt in my mind about this.:worship:

That said, Safin is pretty mighty too.:bigclap:

Should Roger be beaten, I will only hurtfully swallow his defeat if it is by Safin or my rising star Nadal. :)

gooner88
03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
That's easy. Fedex :)

joske
03-31-2005, 12:49 PM
probably Roger..

Neely
03-31-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't have to hesitate a long time here when chosing my answer for this question: without any doubt it would be Safin for me

Problem is that Safin can not often enough show "his best", what Federer was able to do more often, therefore Federer is #1 in the rankings since long time and Safin not.

misyou25
03-31-2005, 01:18 PM
marat:yeah:

Denise
03-31-2005, 03:40 PM
MARATTTTTT :D:D although he's not being himself latelly dahh :retard:

intikab
03-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Let's hear what Safin has to say about this:

"I'm not like Roger, he's way too high," he insisted. "He has all the skills. Even when he is not playing well he has enough feeling, enough talent to be able not to show it. Me, when I'm not playing well I just suffer a little bit more and my game suffers because my game - most of the time - it's a risk. When you're not in shape you miss a lot."
http://tinyurl.com/47hrx

Exodus
03-31-2005, 04:01 PM
yes you are right but when playing at their "best" Safin and Federer are pretty much equals

intikab
03-31-2005, 04:13 PM
yes you are right but when playing at their "best" Safin and Federer are pretty much equals

As Safin himself said, his game has an element of risk to it meaning that lot of things have to be in sync for him to produce his best. So far he has been able to do that only 3 times in 5 years in big matches (2000 USO Final, 2002 AO 4th round vs Sampras & 2005 AO vs Federer). That is in no way comparable to Federer who can produce his best or near best at will.

Furthermore, Safin hasn't done well on grass or clay (better than grass but no TMS), the two extreme surfaces, whereas Fed has back-to-back Wimbledons and two TMS titles on clay.

Exodus
03-31-2005, 04:18 PM
yes ofcourse Federer is way more consistent but im talking about when both play their best then they are pretty much equals

holagirl56
03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
yes ofcourse Federer is way more consistent but im talking about when both play their best then they are pretty much equals

But I think that you do have to be realistic. You can't have Marat playing consistent tennis the whole time if there was a match like that going on. It's not possible for him.

Because of Federer's consistency during a match Federer would probably have the advantage.

But shot making skills, in some aspects they're pretty equal.

jacobhiggins
03-31-2005, 09:56 PM
I think Federer might be the most talented player in the history of the sport. He's got more shots then Safin, better all around game and a better serve. The only thing Safin has over Federer is probablly a little more pop, that's really all I can think of. I'm not saying Safin dosen't have those other things, just not as good as Federer. That's why Federer is constantly winning. He has much more variety. What would you say Marat's best performence was? Compare that to Federer's, who do you think would win?