Roger wins Indian Wells : def Lleyton 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger wins Indian Wells : def Lleyton 6-2, 6-4, 6-4

Raquel
03-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Roger just too good :worship: :yeah: Hopp Rogi! :D

Not much else you can say, he just put in another great performance :)

Well done on making the final Lleyton :hug:

Billabong
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
Congrats Rogi, well done:cool:! That was awesome, continue:D!!!

PaulieM
03-20-2005, 08:37 PM
:woohoo: CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN!!!!

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Congrats Roger!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/afp/20050321/capt.sge.urs41.210305062218.photo00.photo.default-260x384.jpg

INDIAN WELLS, California (Reuters) - World number one Roger Federer produced another display to crush number two Lleyton Hewitt (news) 6-2, 6-4, 6-4, in the final of the Pacific Life Open on Sunday.

In a coolly efficient and often spectacular dismantling of the Australian, Federer never allowed Hewitt into the contest, controlling his opponent from both the backcourt and at the net.

"My game has a lot to do with footwork," Federer said. "When I'm moving well, I play well. This week I've played and felt fantastic."

In attempting to upset the number one, the usually steady Hewitt took risks but the strategy backfired.

He registered 31 unforced errors, the same as Federer, but the Swiss nailed 41 winners to only 18 from the Australian.

The Australian felt he struck the ball well, but couldn't put together proper game plan.

"Roger's a tough guy," he said. "I probably went for a little more than I needed to. But against a guy like Roger, his movement is superior.

"He makes you go for that little bit extra every time because he really does cut off the angles extremely well. It's a tough decision to make, how much to go for it and how much to pull back."

Federer did not drop a set during the tournament and leaves the event with a 26-1 match record in 2005. It was his 17th straight win in a final, a tour record.

"All the finals in a row, that's fantastic," Federer said. "I didn't have a great record in the beginning of my career in finals. I lost more than winning them.

I was very disappointed to have a bad one in the beginning of my pro career. Somehow I turned it around."

The 23-year-old Swiss has won four titles this year and now beaten Hewitt seven consecutive times, dropping only two of 20 sets.

roisin
03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
wow wow wow the dude is unstoppable :bowdown:

JeNn
03-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Pretty predictable, Fed is just :worship: Lleyton has absolutely NO weapons against roger, and as much as I love him, I can't see how he will ever beat him again. It's just a horrible match up for him. Roger barely gets out of second gear in most of their matches.

Great tourney Lleyt :worship:

AnnabelLee
03-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Congrats!!!

Mrs. B
03-20-2005, 08:42 PM
YESSS!!!! :banana:

jacobhiggins
Congrats Federer, he played really well. Lleyton needs to play a flawless game to beat Federer and that dosen't happend much. I just saw the aftermatch interview with Fed, how can anyone not like this guy. He's an all around good guy. Even when the commentators suggested he was getting bored out there, Roger was quick to give Hewitt props saying how Hewitt upped his game. He's a very likable guy.

babsi
Great job,Roger :)

He even tried to make it a bit more interessting in the end - not that I cared for that!

Well done Lleyton - a final after a though semi isn´t the easiest thing to handle :) - esspecialy if your personal nightmare is on the other side of the net.

__________________________________________________ ______________________
here comes the rain again,falling from the stars -drenched in my pain again,becoming who we are (Billie Joe Armstrong)

rwn
03-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Absolutely incredible Roger :worship: :worship:
your fourth title of the year :eek:
and now win in Miami :devil:

El Legenda
03-20-2005, 08:48 PM
wooohhoooo Roger!!!

adeegee
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok no doubt about it, Federer was just far too good again today and simply outclassed Hewitt in every department.

BUT................

I think its getting really bad for tennis, when the world no.2 who happens to be the ultimate competitor is walking onto a court which is his favourite surface, at one of his favourite venues and doesn't believe he has a hope in hell of winning the match. I never thought I'd say this but right from the 1st point you could tell from Hewitt's body language that he didn't truly believe he could win the match. I just can't see how anyone can beat Federer at the moment, it still surprises me that Safin did not so long ago. I just hope some of the other guys can catch up soon, because no matter how good Federer is, it's not a good thing for mens tennis if he becomes as dominant as he's threatening to.

alfonsojose
03-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Ok no doubt about it, Federer was just far too good again today and simply outclassed Hewitt in every department.

BUT................

I think its getting really bad for tennis, when the world no.2 who happens to be the ultimate competitor is walking onto a court which is his favourite surface, at one of his favourite venues and doesn't believe he has a hope in hell of winning the match. I never thought I'd say this but right from the 1st point you could tell from Hewitt's body language that he didn't truly believe he could win the match. I just can't see how anyone can beat Federer at the moment, it still surprises me that Safin did not so long ago. I just hope some of the other guys can catch up soon, because no matter how good Federer is, it's not a good thing for mens tennis if he becomes as dominant as he's threatening to.
Rainer is training hard to save us :sport: :tennis: :tape:

PaulieM
03-20-2005, 08:57 PM
17 consecutive finals...it's a wonderful thing :worship: :woohoo:

jazz_girl
03-20-2005, 08:58 PM
There was a point in this match that was unbelievable! And he lost it! Roger should have won it!!! :worship:

mangoes
03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Roger looked bored out there. Of course when asked, he denied it..........what else is he going to say, nice guy..............but he was bored. I think Roger gets more enjoyment from playing Ljubicic. At this point, I want to see Ljubicic against the other top players, because he is the only one that seems to scare Roger. Therefore, I'd like to see Ljubicic begin to make a serious move into the top 5.

Well I hope Roger does well in Miami, I'll be there, so I hope it's good!!!

euroka1
03-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Great play by Federer. He really has it all. Numbers 2 and 3, are comparatively limited each in his own way. I don't think Roddick would have done much better.

mangoes
03-20-2005, 09:00 PM
There was a point in this match that was unbelievable! And he lost it! Roger should have won it!!! :worship:

It was incredible play from both players. I think it required more from Roger, but great job by the two of them.

tangerine_dream
03-20-2005, 09:00 PM
Roger wins. Yay :bigclap: and yay :zzz: :lol: The least Lleyton could've done was show up.

Don't worry adeegee. I have it on good authority that the great and powerful Ivan "I almost beat Roger" Ljubicic will soon destroy all comers including JesusFed. :banana:

Sosa
03-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Yeah, well....Fed has pretty much worked out how to beat Hewitt easily. Even A-Rod can threaten Rogi more than Leyton. too bad but that's just the way it is. Hewitt has no weapons that could threaten Federer. Safin, on a good day, surely does.

Art&Soul
03-20-2005, 09:04 PM
:banana: ROGI :banana: No c'mon, no fighter spirit, Hewit was freezed in Roger's tennis. Actually, Rogi played below his best to beat Hewitt out of court, he choked a lot but still winning easily :bounce: Congrats Baby for 17 astonishing final consecutive victories, yep i can happily change my sig now, thanks to you :worship: :hug: :worship:

ugotlobbed
03-20-2005, 09:05 PM

lololol rainer rules!

aceit
03-20-2005, 09:06 PM
I'M SO SUPRISED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, but seriously, congrats to Roger.

NYCtennisfan
03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Rainer is training hard to save us

LMAO! alfonsojose has the BEST posts!

darnyelb
03-20-2005, 09:14 PM
CONGRATS HEWITT... for not getting bageled.

Seriously, I love the Ninja.

jmp
03-20-2005, 09:20 PM

:D

Saumon
03-20-2005, 09:22 PM
i love my new avy so much that i'll hug it :hug:

jmp
03-20-2005, 09:22 PM
Another great tournament, Roger! Another great victory! Congratulations! :D

Excellent play and tremendous fight, Lleyton! Congratulations on making another final! :)

lucashg
03-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Roger played really well, though he had some hard time serving in the 1st and 3rd sets and lost lots of opportunities - he could have bagelled Hewitt in the last set. There were great points in this match, but the best one Hewitt one, amazing!

And it's true that Hewitt seems to have no faith at all when playing Federer. I don't know how he'll be able to beat him again.

Congrats to both guys, especially to Roger! Now win Miami =P

jacobhiggins
03-20-2005, 09:35 PM
On that amazing BP point bewteen Roger and Lleyton, did you see Roger laughing and smiling while he was playing the point, then they cut to Lleyton and he looked scared to death lol, that was pretty cool. Awesome Point won by Lleyton.

Yashirobai
03-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Taht point won by Hewitt in the second set at something like 1-1 with the Australian serving and Federer with break point... that was just awesome, amazing

bad gambler
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
federer is truly a special player

anyone see the point played early in the second set when the two ahd that superb rally and at the end the crowd as one stood up to applaud - that's what tennis is all about

RonE
03-20-2005, 10:15 PM
Am I the only one who thinks in terms of quality this match didn't quite live up to it's potential?

I am of course delighted with the result but I must say I was disappointed by the level of play of BOTH today. 34 unforced errors from Federer, 37 from Hewitt. Federer played well enough sporadically in patches but he was mishitting a lot of his shots. He came out on court looking sluggish and Hewitt was playing even worse gifting him many free points he shouldn't have. How Hewitt broke him only ONCE during this match is still a mystery to me- I mean Roger played well on some of the breakpoints against him but for the most part it was stupid Hewitt errors that gave him a lifeline in those games. I think from the baseline Hewitt was more dominating than Roger, getting better length and power- Roger was not quite as nimble on his feet as he usually is and many of his shots hit at 3/4 court.

IMO the matches they played last year were far more entertaining and clean than this one was. Or have I just become too spoilt? :tape:

wipeout
03-20-2005, 10:15 PM
BUT................

Yeah, it's getting dull and yet it would be wrong for us to say it's Roger's fault. I think we can hold Andy and Marat responsible more than anyone else as they have big serves and some real weapons, particularly Marat.

Let's hope they can do something as I think Lleyton is trying his best already.

World Beater
03-20-2005, 10:17 PM
yes, apart from a few points...the match was positively sleepy...i love watching fed play, but lleyton was way too subdued

bad gambler
03-20-2005, 10:18 PM
federer is simply a poor matchup for hewitt until he starts to pull the trigger on his shots and more heat on them

his defensive play will be enough for everyone else in the world except for the fed express

c'mon on hewitt play some shots man, i know you can!!!

adeegee
03-20-2005, 10:27 PM
federer is simply a poor matchup for hewitt until he starts to pull the trigger on his shots and more heat on them

his defensive play will be enough for everyone else in the world except for the fed express

c'mon on hewitt play some shots man, i know you can!!!

he ain't got the power mate, never has never will. i agree his defence will work against virtually every player except federer, its tough to see how hewitt will ever beat federer unless roger has a major off day.

i'd say only roddick and safin look capable of making the necessary improvements to get close to roger in the near future :rolleyes:

Angle Queen
03-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Because of a VCR screwup (on my part) I only got to see the third set.

And I was shocked.

Seen Hewitt play many times. Never saw him as...resigned...as he was. He ran Roger around a bit...and even broke back...but he just wasn't there. Can appreciate where he is...where there's a player who has his number. And there's really no way out. But if anyone can climb out of that crevice...it would be him.

One could say he should be proud of his accomplishment to get to the final of this very contested event...but it's small consolation. Bridesmaid...and never bride. That's almost worst than just being a guest at the wedding. Then you've only to bring a gift...and not buy some dress you're never gonna wear again. :lol:

Oh well, congrats to Roger on a well-played tourney...and good luck to all in Miami.

NATAS81
03-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Nothing not to be expected, anyway. Fed has too much game and has separated himself from the field for some time. Not even Hewitt's relentless getting balls back could crop a set.

On a side note, couldn't believe the missed calls that swung A-Rod's way when ESPN played back the Semi.

TennisLurker
03-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Is there a point in making this thread, in reading it?

It feels like reading a thread about something obvious, like gravity making a stone fall.

I am removing Fed from my signature, yes, I know it is not going to make him cry, but he no longer needs my luck to win anyway.

I am quite sick of Fed, it feels like watching Steffi Graf on the mens tour, at least he is not beating his brother in all these finals I guess..

yawn

Irish
03-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Congrats Roger :worship: You made my day. ;)

tangerine_dream
03-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Am I the only one who thinks in terms of quality this match didn't quite live up to it's potential?

I am of course delighted with the result but I must say I was disappointed by the level of play of BOTH today. 34 unforced errors from Federer, 37 from Hewitt. Federer played well enough sporadically in patches but he was mishitting a lot of his shots. He came out on court looking sluggish and Hewitt was playing even worse gifting him many free points he shouldn't have. How Hewitt broke him only ONCE during this match is still a mystery to me- I mean Roger played well on some of the breakpoints against him but for the most part it was stupid Hewitt errors that gave him a lifeline in those games. I think from the baseline Hewitt was more dominating than Roger, getting better length and power- Roger was not quite as nimble on his feet as he usually is and many of his shots hit at 3/4 court.

IMO the matches they played last year were far more entertaining and clean than this one was. Or have I just become too spoilt? :tape:

I agree, Ron. Roger didn't really show up (he didn't have to) and Lleyton, as someone else pointed out, was already defeated as soon as he set foot on the court. He could've been tired from the SF match the night before and/or his foot bothering him but still, Lleyton usually has more fire than this, even when he's playing Roger.

Aside from that 45-stroke rally, this final was blah and boring and neither player played his best, imo.

Their stats :

Fergie
03-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Congrats Rogi, amazing tournament :worship: :worship: :worship:

erik-the-red
03-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I taped this match and I just saw THE point.

That was a great point.

Auscon
03-21-2005, 12:14 AM
someones gotta put a vid of that point on the net

Looks like Lleyton served ok in the first 2 sets but was back at 35% for the 3rd...surprised how many break opportunities he had in that set

congrats to Roger, again...too good, again

great tournament for Lleyton though

NATAS81
03-21-2005, 12:33 AM
The only match worth taping this week was the Hewitt/Roddick match just to see:

A) How many blatantly wrong calls went Roddick's way (Please get ShotSpot in here)

and

B) How the tennisbunnies shouted during Roddick's serve forcing him to lose 1st serve in the final point.

NYCtennisfan
03-21-2005, 12:36 AM
No, it was not a great match, but it was generally well played. A lot of the errors happened after the some nice rallying. You're not always going to get +30 differentials for both players in a final like this. Just not going to happen.

Becarina
03-21-2005, 12:37 AM
a couple calls went Hewitt's way also... :rolleyes: and yes those fans were pretty annoying in the end.

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 01:30 AM
They were both thinking about next week's tournament.

CassL
03-21-2005, 01:39 AM
LLeyton will never win against Roger. Mark my words. He lost even before the match started. Maybe it's just Roger's play or something, but Hewitt looked sooooooooo passive and unimpressive against Roger while he looked great against Roddick.

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 01:53 AM
LLeyton will never win against Roger. Mark my words.
He can, but several things must happen, like something wrong in Roger's foot again, easy opponents on Hewitt's side, etc......

And was it really that hot in Indian Wells? The heat seemed terrible....

Havok
03-21-2005, 02:07 AM
Yawn.

CassL
03-21-2005, 02:10 AM
I was happy lleyton won against Andy, but now I wish Andy had won so we could at least get a more competitive match.

ftd999
03-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Roger just too good :worship: :yeah: Hopp Rogi! :D

Not much else you can say, he just put in another great performance :)

Well done on making the final Lleyton :hug:

How many times is Lleyton going to have to lose 2,3, and 1 (or whatever) before he changes his game plan?

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 02:17 AM
How many times is Lleyton going to have to lose 2,3, and 1 (or whatever) before he changes his game plan?
What kind of changed, ftd?

ftd999
03-21-2005, 02:22 AM
Is there a point in making this thread, in reading it?

It feels like reading a thread about something obvious, like gravity making a stone fall.

I am removing Fed from my signature, yes, I know it is not going to make him cry, but he no longer needs my luck to win anyway.

I am quite sick of Fed, it feels like watching Steffi Graf on the mens tour, at least he is not beating his brother in all these finals I guess..

yawn

Roger is bored as well. Don't blame him, the game needs more players of substance. I can't wait for the red clay to get here :)

yonexforever
03-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Is it me or is that the UGLIEST DAMN TROPHY IN HISTORY?

RogiFan88
03-21-2005, 02:59 AM
it's you.

drf716
03-21-2005, 03:02 AM
Is it me or is that the UGLIEST DAMN TROPHY IN HISTORY?
it's the winner holding the trophy that's ... never mind. hehe

BlackSilver
03-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Boring tournament overall, only two exciting matches (Hewitt vs Roddick, Ljubicic vs Federer) and too much waited results. Weak tournament after all, I hope that Miami be way better (normaly is better :) )Anyway it's about two weaks until the beggining of the clay season :)

CassL
03-21-2005, 03:18 AM
it's the winner holding the trophy that's ... never mind. hehe

Haha, I agree! ;)

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 07:14 AM
Anyway it's about two weaks until the beggining of the clay season :)
wow! april....

Action Jackson
03-21-2005, 07:34 AM
I can't believe I missed the major upset of Federer winning a final.

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 07:38 AM
Keep it up, Roger!

More and more finals, :worship:

Art&Soul
03-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Keep it up, Roger!

More and more finals, :worship:

Yup and people keep moaning oh its so boring :D except Roger's fans :)

Roger-No.1
03-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Many, many Rogerfans, Art/Soul.

Go RogerFederer.com!

Truc
03-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Do you know a website where I could see the great rallye everybody is speaking about?
I already checked the video clip on the Eurosport website, but they don't show this point.

tangerine_dream
03-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Still no video online of The Amazing Point. Here's a short article about it from one of the local papers though. :)

Remarkable rally highlight of otherwise lopsided final

by Leighton Ginn, The Desert Sun
March 21, 2005

INDIAN WELLS - One of the few things that didn't go Roger Federer's way Sunday in his 6-2, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Lleyton Hewitt in the Pacific Life Open final was one thrilling point in the second set.

At first, it just looked like another point.

"It started off normal, just a regular rally, backhand cross-court, a couple of good shots. Crowd got into it. He starts drop-shotting," Federer said. "You're like, 'OK, this is getting interesting.'"

It got a lot more interesting as Hewitt pulled Federer into the net with a few drop shots, then sent him back with two lobs that the Swiss star retrieved.

"I just run back and I hope I stay in the rally," Federer said. "He gets an unbelievable angle on his kind of an overhead. This is when you really know, 'this is my chance to win the point.' It starts all over again. You have to run back.

"I really got surprised the way I got the second (lob) back, back towards the net."

Hewitt hit a forehand wide that Federer ran down. However, Federer's forehand was met with a diving volley from Hewitt, who finished the point and then fell to the ground, along with Federer. It capped a rally that took 45 hits.

"I really knew on the last forehand on the run, 'this is my last chance because I'm not coming back after this forehand,'" Federer said. "It was a 50-50 chance for him, and he took the right side. I hit it well. He could have missed it. He did well. That was a fantastic point, a lot of fun."

After the point, both players received a standing ovation, which surprised the Australian Hewitt.

"Maybe after you win a Davis Cup final or something, in five sets. That's about it. Not normally after a point, especially when neither of you are from America either," Hewitt said.

Socket
03-21-2005, 08:25 PM
If you check the discussion boards on tennis-x.com, somebody has a link up for a video of the point in question.

Denise
03-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Congrats Roggi :rolleyes:

RogiFan88
03-21-2005, 09:30 PM
I can't believe I missed the major upset of Federer winning a final.

Yes, a lot of UPSET people out there. ;)

blosson
03-21-2005, 09:35 PM
I don't think people are upset by Roger's victory.
Players and fans are after the number 2 spot - they gave up on the number 1....

jmp
03-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Nice article, Tangy. :D

Thanks for the link directions, Socket. :D