Federer destroys Canas 6-3,6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer destroys Canas 6-3,6-1

RonE
03-20-2005, 12:05 AM
What an amazing match. Rogi you are sublime :worship:

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 12:06 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050320/capt.camt11203200023.indian_wells_camt112.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050320/capt.ksd11703200101.indian_wells_ksd117.jpg
Amazing, Roger!

Total awe and admiration!

A great match from beginning to end...

Canas fought and fought.... and you put him down!

There are not enough words to describe this wonderful feeling....

Thank you, thank you!

Canas, what a fighter!

It was similar to the Santoro match USO 04....

Fabrice would win points in each game,

but the games would go Rogi's way.

That's what makes him so great.

BTW 600th post!!!!!

jazz_girl
Congratulations Roger, please win tomorrow!
Well done Willy!!!! Amazing week and great first set! :worship:

PaulieM
:bounce: :bigclap: :aparty: :banana: Good Job Roger:smooch:

Bilbo
03-20-2005, 12:08 AM
He didn't destroy Willy. The match was much closer as the result is showing.

some facts:

Total Point won

Federer 62
Willy 46

Willy has also won 38% receiving points. Only a hand full of players can do that.

His serve is just not good enough to allow a close match with Federer.

All in all he did the best he can do, reaching the Semifinals. That's good enough for a real top10 player like Willy.

lucashg
03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
Amazing win, Roger! Keep it up and win the title!
The second set was great! :eek: :bowdown:

RonE
03-20-2005, 12:09 AM
In the first set Roger was clearly a little anxious but played his way into it getting a break but immediately surrendering it. At that point you had to think "uh oh, Canas is doing what he does best". But then Roger broke again to take the set 6-3 and from that point on he was unstoppable.

He did to Canas what Canas often does to others- he wore Canas down mentally towards the end. He stayed in the rallies and despite the relatively high UE count in the first set from Roger in the end Canas felt compelled to go for more to put Roger out of the rallies and resulted in him making many errors himself. There were also many points with sublime angled winners, deep winners from every corner of the court. Roger also did what Canas often does and that is make sublime backhand passing shots. Canas just did not have anything with which to hurt Roger in this match.

Fergie
03-20-2005, 12:12 AM
Well done Rogi, you're amazing :worship:

And congrats Willy for this great tournament :yeah:

jtipson
03-20-2005, 12:13 AM
He didn't destroy Willy. The match was much closer as the result is showing.

Interesting comment, since you were the one who wrote "Canas rips Henman a new one" after a 7-6 7-5 win the other night....

Neely
03-20-2005, 12:14 AM
Damn, is Federer good!! :eek: :bolt:
I wouldn't have minded seeing Canas in this final at all... would have been a relatively new face in this sort of tournaments... but okay, if Roger is THAT good :shrug:

Special congrats to Canas, he did well the whole week!

Billabong
03-20-2005, 12:17 AM
YEAH GO Rogi, that was amazing:D! Continue thegreat job in the final:D!!!

Bilbo
Interesting comment, since you were the one who wrote "Canas rips Henman a new one" after a 7-6 7-5 win the other night....

when i say "rips a new one" it is meant to be ironic :rolleyes: it has not the same meaning as destroys because it's in good mood

rogertooogood
I was expecting a tight match but Roger came and set things right..............

Art&Soul
03-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Simply just amazing ROGI :worship: :bounce: :worship: , you outplayed Canas today :) Yup Canas is a good fighter and run like a machine, he played very well indeed but its not good enought to get a set from ROGI when he is on fire today :yeah: The second set is just incredible, the most impressive set of the week from ROGI, the way ROGI blow Canas off the court is just exceptional :worship: Who can beat you now the alien??? :p

gravity
03-20-2005, 12:19 AM
Heh the scoreline was a fair reflection on the match.

Canas could do nothing about Federer today. Despite showing great heart, especially in that first set, he was completely outclassed by the best player in the world. And there's no disgrace in that. ;)

willie
03-20-2005, 12:22 AM
cañas played his best match in the tournament(even better that against henman) and he only could win 4 games.

jtipson
03-20-2005, 12:22 AM
when i say "rips a new one" it is meant to be ironic :rolleyes: it has not the same meaning as destroys because it's in good mood

Oh really? That wasn't clear at all; for some reason it sounded like you were gloating that Canas won, and now Federer beat him pretty soundly you're not so happy about it. Just my perception, that's all.

Bilbo
03-20-2005, 12:23 AM
Heh the scoreline was a fair reflection on the match.

Nope, look at the stats. It was more like a 6-3 6-3 or 6-4 6-3 match. Federer's % of winning points on his 1st serve was also not too good (65% only).

The result definately doesn't reflect the match. Even Kiefer has won one game more and he did worse according to the stats.

robinhood
03-20-2005, 12:26 AM
I wish I could've watched the match!
Well done, Federer. Now win tomorrow. (What else is he going to do?)

Seraphim
03-20-2005, 12:28 AM

HELLO!

SAY IT AGAIN!

perrygreen
03-20-2005, 12:31 AM
1st set was exciting and interesting but the 2nd set was so one-sided:rolleyes:. Federer was so tough mentally as he didn't even play his best game but could win the 2nd set with such ease:worship:. I thought Cana had the ability to push Federer a litte bit more and hoped the match to be an exciting one:retard:.

Art&Soul
03-20-2005, 12:39 AM
Nope, look at the stats. It was more like a 6-3 6-3 or 6-4 6-3 match. Federer's % of winning points on his 1st serve was also not too good (65% only).

The result definately doesn't reflect the match. Even Kiefer has won one game more and he did worse according to the stats.

Yup it shoud be 6-2. 6-0 :D for the reflection of how Roger push Canas running around the court :) Credit to Canas but :bowdown: to FEDERER :worship:

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 12:42 AM
There were also many points with sublime angled winners, deep winners from every corner of the court. Roger also did what Canas often does and that is make sublime backhand passing shots. Canas just did not have anything with which to hurt Roger in this match.
:yeah:

Those sublime backhand passing shots gave him the fisrt set.

Simply amazing.

BTW, Kim Clijsters is back!

She beat Lindsay Davenport to win the Pacific Life Open...

yanchr
03-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Good win for Roger :yeah: But the match was not as good as was said here :confused: esp the 1 set...The 2nd set was great but I was denied coverage of the last 2 games, maybe the best 2 games from Roger :shrug:

Hendu
03-20-2005, 12:54 AM
The amazing thing is that Federer won without any problems, while Cañas was playing in a very good level...

Javier Frana (comments for ESPN) said something which I think is true... "if Cañas played like this against Roddick or Hewitt he would have had a good chance of beating them...."

You can't only look at the scores to grade a match... Cañas played better and gave more of a fight than Kiefer... the thing is that Federer played much better than against Kiefer...

There is no way to beat Roger when he plays like this...

Well done Guille!!! it was a good tournament, and a good game!!!

Keep fighting and you will reach your goal... play the Shangai Masters Cup!!!

Hendu
03-20-2005, 12:58 AM
Yup it shoud be 6-2. 6-0 :D for the reflection of how Roger push Canas running around the court :) Credit to Canas but :bowdown: to FEDERER :worship:

Federer all the time was in control of the match... but Federer certainly didn't push Canas running around the court repetedly... Cañas attacked every time he had the chance... so there weren't many long rallys...

ugotlobbed
03-20-2005, 02:05 AM
what station are u guys using to watch this match?

perrygreen
03-20-2005, 02:08 AM
Starsports

Art&Soul
03-20-2005, 03:01 AM
Javier Frana (comments for ESPN) said something which I think is true... "if Cañas played like this against Roddick or Hewitt he would have had a good chance of beating them...."

Yep, he really can beat Rod or Hewitt with the way they play today, but what a pity for him to meet Rogi :)

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 07:12 AM
what station are u guys using to watch this match?
They're probably talking about ESPN Deportes. Adelphia.

Mrs. B
03-20-2005, 07:34 AM
Well done, Roger! Good luck against Lleyton.
congrats Willy for a good tournament!

Cervantes
03-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Not really surprising this result, Guille just doesn't have a big enough serve to keep up with Roger. Great tournament for him though, another step closer to that top10 ranking.

Good luck to Roger in the final, may we see another couple of bagels please!!

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 08:56 AM
Not really surprising this result, Guille just doesn't have a big enough serve to keep up with Roger. Great tournament for him though, another step closer to that top10 ranking.

Good luck to Roger in the final, may we see another couple of bagels please!!
Yes, Canas a top 10 player! That would be great.

Roger-No.1
03-20-2005, 09:14 AM
BTW, Roger had some nice words about Nicolas Kiefer the other day:

He's got a dangerous game, you know, where he mixes up well. He's got definitely one of the best returns out there. I have the feeling he's playing very aggressive off the baseline now, not maybe pushing the ball as much as he used to. That might be a solution for him to come back in the Top 10. I mean, we all know and see his potential. If you want to get there, you got to play consistent or just win a big one. That's all it takes.

That's for us, Kiwifans.

MariaV
03-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Damn, is Federer good!! :eek: :bolt:
I wouldn't have minded seeing Canas in this final at all... would have been a relatively new face in this sort of tournaments... but okay, if Roger is THAT good :shrug:

Special congrats to Canas, he did well the whole week!

Yeah, congrats to Willy on a good week but Fed the GOD can be even better, believe me Neely! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Umm, will we get some bagels again vs Hewitt? :eek: