Federer destroys kiwi 6-4 6-1

willie
03-18-2005, 06:06 AM
another simple match for fed. :o

Roger-No.1
03-18-2005, 06:08 AM
Congrats Roger!!!

Kiwi, great tournament!

The Swiss star is beginning to be viewed as a god of his game. Last night at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden, he was opposing Nicolas Kiefer, who was about as hot as a tennis player can be, having surrendered only eight games in three previous matches at the Pacific Life Open.

Federer, continuing to play the sort of tennis that has benumbed 23 of his 24 opponents this season, handled Kiefer 6-4, 6-1 in 66 minutes in sweeping into the tournament's semifinals.

Federer clearly is in a dominant position in this tournament. In the other half are Carlos Moya, Andy Roddick, Andre Agassi and Lleyton Hewitt, all of whom have held the No. 1 ranking in the men's game.

oneandonlyhsn
03-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Roger defeated kiwi despite playing horribly in th first set. I dont think Roger could play any worse than he did in the first set, but still pulled it off. Now for the semis the real Rogi better show up.

Carolinita
03-18-2005, 06:09 AM
well done Roger!! :yeah: ...kiwi jam for you :banana:

PaulieM
03-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Roger defeated kiwi despite playing horribly in th first set. I dont think Roger could play any worse than he did in the first set, but still pulled it off. Now for the semis the real Rogi better show up.
God I hope so... Congrats fed :worship:

lucashg
03-18-2005, 06:11 AM
It was simple, but it pleased me to see that he truly can raise his level of play basically anytime he wants to. He played a crappy first set and came back on fire in the second. Kiefer wasn't as good as he could be, far from that, but still I don't believe he could have beaten Roger.

I hope there's no "shaky" start against Cañas.

ftd999
03-18-2005, 06:12 AM
It was simple, but it pleased me to see that he truly can raise his level of play basically anytime he wants to. He played a crappy first set and came back on fire in the second. Kiefer wasn't as good as he could be, far from that, but still I don't believe he could have beaten Roger.

I hope there's no "shaky" start against Cañas.

Federer - Canas better be televised

mangoes
03-18-2005, 06:13 AM

I'm sure he will. Ljubicic required a lot of mental energy last night. Roger needed a mental break tonight, hence his terrible playing. Everyone needs a little break here and there :) :) :)

mangoes
03-18-2005, 06:14 AM

It will not be televised. Well according to the schedule.

MissMoJo
03-18-2005, 06:15 AM
:( Yes, that's the next concern isn't it. Rogi :worship: Only 2 away now :bigclap: :bigclap:

NYCtennisfan
03-18-2005, 06:20 AM
HOw good is a someone who plays poorly, which Fed did in the first set, and still beat down a very good hard court player who had been on fire of late? Just plain scary....

ftd999
03-18-2005, 06:21 AM
:( Yes, that's the next concern isn't it. Rogi :worship: Only 2 away now :bigclap: :bigclap:

Some people are reporting that it won't be on :sad:

I'm having trouble believing that though.

mangoes
03-18-2005, 06:22 AM
Some people are reporting that it won't be on :sad:

I'm having trouble believing that though.

ftd999, I keep saying it is just a mistake made by the person who typed the schedule :angel: :angel: :angel: Just a mistake.........

mangoes
03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
HOw good is a someone who plays poorly, which Fed did in the first set, and still beat down a very good hard court player who had been on fire of late? Just plain scary....

I know. I remember people making that same statement about Sampras.......wowow.

Art&Soul
03-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Roger did not do much to have the win today. Kiefer was hot before he met ROGI. If you don't have the big serve no way you can beat ROGI today! Its not an intersting match like yesterday coz Kiefer coudn't find anyway to make ROGI trouble. Keep it up baby, Canas is the next!

yanchr
03-18-2005, 06:27 AM
He couldn't have played worse than he did in the 2nd service game he lost, totally idiotic :o But he raised his level right into the next game of Kiefer's. Watch that bh pass the 1st set point from him :eek::worship: The 2nd set was great :)

Roger-No.1
03-18-2005, 06:34 AM
But he raised his level right into the next game of Kiefer's. Watch that bh pass the 1st set point from him :eek::worship: The 2nd set was great :)
That's Roger!

ftd999
03-18-2005, 06:38 AM
Roger did not do much to have the win today. Kiefer was hot before he met ROGI. If you don't have the big serve no way you can beat ROGI today! Its not an intersting match like yesterday coz Kiefer coudn't find anyway to make ROGI trouble. Keep it up baby, Canas is the next!

Canas actualy beat Federer on hard courts in their only meeting, but it was in 02. Meaningless now, I think. I have a lot of respect for Canas, he's a damn warrior on court, but can he really do any better than Kiefer? Won't Federer just blow him off the court?

MissMoJo
03-18-2005, 06:40 AM
... Watch that bh pass the 1st set point from him :eek::worship: The 2nd set was great :)
Unfortunately i couldn't :( and probably won't see his semis either :mad:

star
03-18-2005, 07:13 AM
another simple match for fed. :o

Kiwi came out to the court on fire. Federer served first and Kiwi hit three straight amazing winners and broke Fed at love. It was amazing. The crowd was laughing.

Kiwi broke Federer again too.

Fed was making some strange wild errors.

So the win was not so simple and easy as it might seem from the score. True, after, playing his best, and not being able to really dent Federer, Kiefer got very discouraged and of course Federer gained confidence, hence the second set score.

Mrs. B
03-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Roja! :yeah:

Art&Soul
03-18-2005, 08:58 AM
Canas actualy beat Federer on hard courts in their only meeting, but it was in 02. Meaningless now, I think. I have a lot of respect for Canas, he's a damn warrior on court, but can he really do any better than Kiefer? Won't Federer just blow him off the court?

Yup, Federer will blow Canas off the court with his sensational backhand like he did with KIWI today :D :p :D

Smankyou
03-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Light work for Roger.

MariaV
03-18-2005, 10:28 AM
He couldn't have played worse than he did in the 2nd service game he lost, totally idiotic :o But he raised his level right into the next game of Kiefer's. Watch that bh pass the 1st set point from him :eek::worship: The 2nd set was great :)

Well, he had a little lapse losing his service game for the 2nd time, silly indeed, but how he raised his level when needed after that!! :worship: Now that's Rogi!!!! I would say overall he looks better than in Rotterdam or Dubai. The 2nd set was like the good old Rogi from last year. :worship: :worship: :worship:

uNIVERSE mAN
03-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Uh oh. Canas is 1-0 against him. Did he need that motivation?

Smankyou
03-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Universe Man, when did they last meet?

Neely
03-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Only the first set was a good and close set. Kiwi played good tennis there and he was able to break Roger twice, but as I said the problem is that he still gets broken himself too often :banghead: :o

In the 2nd set, there wasn't much resistence anymore.

Anyway, it was a good tournament of Kiwi and I would say he did the maximum that was possible for him: getting that far until facing Federer :) Love you, Kiwi! :angel:

uNIVERSE mAN
03-18-2005, 11:07 AM
2002 Toronto TMS, Hard, R64 Toronto, Canada

Hard R64

Canas def Federer 7-6 7-5

uNIVERSE mAN
03-18-2005, 11:10 AM
Roger has little points to defend in his next three masters series, Miami, Monte Carlo and Roma, this could be very interesting to see how he does in these events, maybe pick up even a bigger lead in the rankings.

lucashg
03-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Only the first set was a good and close set. Kiwi played good tennis there and he was able to break Roger twice, but as I said the problem is that he still gets broken himself too often :banghead: :o

In the 2nd set, there wasn't much resistence anymore.

I disagree with you on that. I don't know if you're saying that the first set was good because it actually had good level of play or solely because it was close. If the first, I missed any good plays then. Kiefer played an amazing first game and that was it. Federer had a couple of "Federer Shots" nearly the end, but both didn't play well at all, IMO.

The second set was better. Kiefer still played nothing, but Roger stepped up and showed us how good he is. I hope he plays like that against Cañas.

He couldn't have played worse than he did in the 2nd service game he lost, totally idiotic But he raised his level right into the next game of Kiefer's. Watch that bh pass the 1st set point from him The 2nd set was great

Kiefer just stood there and got a game for free, that was something :eek: And yes, the second set was great :worship: :p

I think his semifinal will be televised here, yay! ;)

Billabong
03-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Well done Rogi, keep it up:banana:!!!

Neely
03-18-2005, 11:43 AM
I disagree with you on that. I don't know if you're saying that the first set was good because it actually had good level of play or solely because it was close.
No, I was just saying that because it was close and because it's a good sign that Kiwi was able to break Federer twice (but bad that he was broken three times). A 6-4 scoreline against Federer looks better than a 6-1 for me, that's it.

Fergie
03-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Well done Rogi :banana:

But try to play better against Cañas in semis ;)

KarstenBraasch#1
03-18-2005, 12:30 PM
:)

undomiele
03-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Ive been watching Kiefer play in this tournament and the Kiefer that showed up for this match wasn't the Kiefer of before. He looked nervous throughout the match and suffered from what I thought was an increasingly obvious case of a lack of confidence in himself. In the last half of the 1st set he couldnt capitalize on Roger's chokes and made a lot more UE's than he had been making before this round. Oh and after the first set he had a total confidence meltdown when Roger raised his game. I don't know if it was lack of experience of playing in later rounds, nerves, respect for Federer, but Kiefer really had bad mental day of it yesterday. It was really, truly disappointing considering how awesome he played against Nalbandian.

All the same congratulations to Roger and :smash: to Kiefer.
I know that Canias at the bare minimum will not have any kind of mental problem whatsoever (quite the opposite) and that he at least will capitalize on any kind of choke Roger has been making unlike Kiefer. So that alone should make it interesting. I hope there will be an obvious contest of wills in that match --when it practically became nonexistent in this one.

wimbledonfan
03-18-2005, 01:19 PM
It is no surprise to me that kiefer lost the match . I remember last year on the hard courts , he had an amazing season but would always lose to Andy Roddick in the finals or somewhere along the line . There was a lot of expectations for this player when he was a youngster , but it sounds to me like he is not a big time player .

Puschkin
03-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Oh and after the first set he had a total confidence meltdown when Roger raised his game. I don't know if it was lack of experience of playing in later rounds, nerves, respect for Federer, but Kiefer really had bad mental day of it yesterday. It was really, truly disappointing considering how awesome he played against Nalbandian.

What you describe is part of the aura Roger managed to create, robbing opponents the final belief to win. And Kiefer is particularly prone to this kind of mental weakness. If he had strong nerves, sufficient self-belief (and no injuries) he definitely would be a constant top ten player himself.

Canas is another calibre, I agree. It will be the better tennis deciding the outcome not the stronger mind.

undomiele
03-18-2005, 01:30 PM
There was a lot of expectations for this player when he was a youngster , but it sounds to me like he is not a big time player.

I agree, tennis is very much a game of psychology. Your self-confidence and ability to believe in yourself has everything to do with your ability to capitalize on your talent. If you don't start developing stamina qualities after a while on the tour, along with a great deal of determination, you might never know what you're really capable of. I hope Kiefer will develop a thicker skin, he certainly has the game to go far.

SuperFurryAnimal
03-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Damn... I was hoping I could tease my date - who is a Rogi-fan - with some nice result from this match (nice in my way to look at it... ;)). Unfortunately, Kiwi lost big time so now my date's probably gonna tease me with this tonight... :p

Rex
03-18-2005, 01:51 PM
did we expect any less?

alexito
03-18-2005, 02:03 PM
this is bore, atp is bore, federer win indian well. I hope federer injure for 2 years.

Puschkin
03-18-2005, 02:07 PM
this is bore, atp is bore, federer win indian well. I hope federer injure for 2 years.

Just shut up, please. If you don't like tennis watch formula 1, football or ski-jumping :p

undomiele
03-18-2005, 02:08 PM
What you describe is part of of the aura Roger managed to create, robbing opponents the final belief to win. And Kiefer is particularly prone to this kind of mental weakness. If he had strong nerves, sufficient self-belief (and no injuries) he definitely would be a constant top ten player himself.

Canas is another calibre, I agree. It will be the better tennis deciding the outcome not the stronger mind.

Undoubtedly. But the mental game is so much a part of the real physical game. Im just hoping for a battle thats all. I know Canias is the underdog here tennis-wise but at least he's a dog that can bite and doesnt give a damn about auras. Unlike Kiefer who just rolled around and played dead. (Which sux.) ;) :p And I don't believe Roger is as mentally tough as people say he is. He's just so good that he hardly has to have his will tested. But he's got chinks in that mental armor. That free game he gave away to Keifer, for example, was just unexplainable. It was more than a choke --it was bizarre. It was so bad I even thought Roger was doing it on purpose. I think if Roger keeps it together he'll win, but if he self-destructs at any point Canas will undoubtedly use that to his advantage. Thats the reality here folks. Roger can play waaaay better tennis than Hewitt, and most likely Canas, but those two will always be mentally stronger than him --and if Roger lets his guard down, which he eventually will --and yes, I really do believe Hewitt will at least beat him once-- it will be to their outstanding credit as players who don't like to give up.

I really hope it will be a close match but if Canias loses at least Ill know he played his best that day. Unlike Kiefer. Thats all any fan could ask for really. ;) Go Canas!!! :D

RonE
03-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Congrats to Rogi :banana:

Canas will be a tougher hurdle - I do not think Roger will blast him off the court as some have been suggesting. But if Roger maintains patience and composure and finds the right moment to go on the offensive the he will be in control :yeah:

uNIVERSE mAN
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Congrats to Rogi :banana:

Canas will be a tougher hurdle - I do not think Roger will blast him off the court as some have been suggesting. But if Roger maintains patience and composure and finds the right moment to go on the offensive the he will be in control :yeah:

Canas normally doesn't play matches against top players on his terms, the fate of the match is in the hands of his opponent, we know what he brings to the table, short compact strokes, consistency, tenacity and wheels, not unlike most baseline grinders.

It's easy to see why people like Nalbandian, Canas, Coria, Gaudio, Robredo etc. don't rack up titles, you can't go through fields with this kind of play, when someone has an "on" day this type of play has no plan B, and in any tournament they always run into someone who is.

tennisman.
03-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Feds will destroy Canas

undomiele
03-18-2005, 03:54 PM
It's easy to see why people like Nalbandian, Canas, Coria, Gaudio, Robredo etc. don't rack up titles, you can't go through fields with this kind of play, when someone has an "on" day this type of play has no plan B, and in any tournament they always run into someone who is.

Canas won TMS Toronto after defeating some awesome players on his own terms. Plan A or B, he has the game to win a TMS tournament. He just didn't get lucky that time around in Toronto. He earned it. And he's had to fight injuries since. He has a really good record as a player and its incredibly unfair of you to call that a fluke. :mad:

And lumping Nalbandian, Canas, Coria, Gaudio etc into one type of category when theyre all pretty individualistic players with their own type of game is just plain stupid. Coria has won 8 singles titles and has made it far in a lot of non-clay tournaments. Nalbandian is an awesome player who's been in the top 10 for a while now and who's long proven he's not a one-hit wonder. And both are still pretty young. Youre just nuts if you think theyre losers.

You just don't like the latins admit it. :rolleyes:

Dirk
03-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Coria is awesome talent and can do a lot more as Gaudio can but only on the clay for him. David is too injury prone to accomplish great things in his career. His mentality is severely questionable at this point as well.

Dirk
03-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Undomiele Canas I agree with. No luck in winning Toronto. He has a very good year last year too. He will be Roger's biggest test no doubt.

Rogiman
03-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Canas is an excellent player, and his run for the Toronto title was one of the most impressive I remember, but I have the feeling this time he'll be blown off the court by Federer's shots.
I hope it'll be a great match though.

PaulieM
03-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Damn... I was hoping I could tease my date - who is a Rogi-fan - with some nice result from this match (nice in my way to look at it... ;)). Unfortunately, Kiwi lost big time so now my date's probably gonna tease me with this tonight... :p
good thing roger won, otherwise i don't know about yout getting a second date;)

PaulieM
03-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Kiwi came out to the court on fire. Federer served first and Kiwi hit three straight amazing winners and broke Fed at love. It was amazing. The crowd was laughing.

Kiwi broke Federer again too.

Fed was making some strange wild errors.

So the win was not so simple and easy as it might seem from the score. True, after, playing his best, and not being able to really dent Federer, Kiefer got very discouraged and of course Federer gained confidence, hence the second set score.
:sad: oh poor roger

RogiFan88
03-18-2005, 04:39 PM
2002 Toronto TMS, Hard, R64 Toronto, Canada

Hard R64

Canas def Federer 7-6 7-5

Yep, I was there... remember it well, the first time I ever saw Rogi live... huge disappointment for all... but Canas DID win the title after beating so many tough guys, incl. Safin. It was 42C, hot, humid and smoggy... yukky!

undomiele
03-18-2005, 04:40 PM
:sad: oh poor roger

Poor Roger??? :spit: He won!

Poor Canas for having to take him on next actually. :sad: Not that he believes in self-pity. ;) :p

RogiFan88
03-18-2005, 04:48 PM
Just shut up, please. If you don't like tennis watch formula 1, football or ski-jumping :p

:worship:

RogiFan88
03-18-2005, 04:58 PM
Canas normally doesn't play matches against top players on his terms, the fate of the match is in the hands of his opponent, we know what he brings to the table, short compact strokes, consistency, tenacity and wheels, not unlike most baseline grinders.

well, even top guys like Pandy or Lleyton can play well and still lose to Rogi

I wouldn't slam the "Latinos" so much... :rolleyes:

Neely
03-18-2005, 05:25 PM
On some parts I agree with this statement above, on some I disagree.

I agree:
- Nalbandian does not rack up titles, BUT he did well in all four Grand Slams and in lots of TMS so far, justified top 10 player over long time for sure.
- Canas has some titles, but he fails to do well in the really big events, Grand Slams and TMS: one TMS, quite bad Grand Slam record considering his ranking (one career QF Grand Slam; not more, nothing higher). That's the reason so far why he is outside Top 10 if you compare that to the other players inside top 10.

I disagree:
- Coria "racked up" titles in the past
- Gaudio did the same this year (won two clay titles), I expect him to win many more titles

oneandonlyhsn
03-18-2005, 05:33 PM

I can understand you not liking a player because he wins matches but wishing someone an injury is a disgrace on your part as a human being. Shame on you. Its not Rogers fault that when he steps out on the court he wants to win and gives it his all.
If more players gave it their all like Roger, Hewitt, Ljubo and I even adore Canas's tenacity then Mens tennis would be a more fantastic sport.
Maybe you should be cursing the players that you fancy for not raising their game level.

PaulieM
03-18-2005, 06:43 PM
I can understand you not liking a player because he wins matches but wishing someone an injury is a disgrace on your part as a human being. Shame on you. Its not Rogers fault that when he steps out on the court he wants to win and gives it his all.
If more players gave it their all like Roger, Hewitt, Ljubo and I even adore Canas's tenacity then Mens tennis would be a more fantastic sport.
Maybe you should be cursing the players that you fancy for not raising their game level.
couldn't have said it better :)

Dirk
03-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Yep of course if Alexit's favorite player was doing what Roger is doing then he would have no problem with the tour. These jealous hypocrites amaze me. :rolleyes:

oneandonlyhsn
03-18-2005, 09:12 PM
couldn't have said it better :)

Hey Paulie darlin, what happened to the cute James avatar that you had. I mean Henry is not bad but James is the man.

Scotso
03-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Nicolas :(

MissMoJo
03-18-2005, 09:45 PM
:wavey:
You are a dumbass, though i'm sure you already knew this