The existence of a running double-handed backhand [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The existence of a running double-handed backhand

erik-the-red
03-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Does this shot actually exist in tennis for a right-hander?

By exist, I mean, can it be reproduced faithfully, to a certain extent?

One of Sampras's many trademarks was his running forehand WITH pace. When I saw Baghdatis play against Rogi at this year's Australian Open, I noticed he's got a good running forehand, as well.

But, since I'm having difficulty adding a slice to my game, I was wondering if I could just try to develop a running backhand... :D

jole
03-18-2005, 03:04 AM
Yes, it totally exists. Sometimes it can be difficult due to the timing needed, and it doesn't feel as natural as hitting a forehand totally on the run.

Hendu
03-18-2005, 03:10 AM
Does this shot actually exist in tennis for a right-hander?

By exist, I mean, can it be reproduced faithfully, to a certain extent?

One of Sampras's many trademarks was his running forehand WITH pace. When I saw Baghdatis play against Rogi at this year's Australian Open, I noticed he's got a good running forehand, as well.

But, since I'm having difficulty adding a slice to my game, I was wondering if I could just try to develop a running backhand... :D

all players hit running forehands... some better than others (f.e. Nalbandian has a great running forehand).

I don't think you should spend time developing a running two-handed backhand.... work on your slice... which can be used as a great defensive weapon.

ftd999
03-18-2005, 03:27 AM
all players hit running forehands... some better than others (f.e. Nalbandian has a great running forehand).

I don't think you should spend time developing a running two-handed backhand.... work on your slice... which can be used as a great defensive weapon.

Here are my thoughts:

I agree with the post above. If you're still young, work on the slice when you're pulled out wide on the run. If you ever start playing very high level players, you'll be glad you did, as it will extend your reach, and it's much easier to hit when you're pulled side to side at full run. It will also help when someone hits an extreme kick serve out wide, which can be difficult to return deep with a two-hander.

Having said that, you also need to be able to hit the two hander on the run sometimes, especially if someone is going to close into the net when you're pulled out wide. In those cases, use the straight take back motion (i.e. no loop) with a short back swing (and possibly an open stance, if possible), almost a block type motion as you don't have time for a full swing. Maybe think of Agassi's short backswing (or maybe Coria or Hewitt) when he's returning or pulled out wide.

It's a difficult shot that is mostly timing, balance, and footwork. Have someone feed you balls to practice the shot. Start at the center line and have them feed you a basic forehand where you have to move slightly to the right. Then have them pull you way out wide with a feed. Hit the shot as noted above, and make sure you move back toward the center as quickly as possible to get ready for the next shot.

savfan104
03-18-2005, 04:32 AM
The shot exists. I've seen Hewitt use it, both for passing shots and for lobs; I saw Canas use it against Henman. I remember plenty of them being hit at various times when watching the WTA.

It's nowhere near as natural a shot as a running forehand though.

joseluismb
03-18-2005, 04:40 AM
I can hit excelent on-the-run backhands... well not really on the "run", but while sliding on clay...