Canas OUTGUNS Henman 7-6(1) 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Canas OUTGUNS Henman 7-6(1) 7-5

Bilbo
03-18-2005, 12:30 AM
He ripped Henman a new one. Semifinal of the 5th biggest tournament in the world. Props to you Willy :yeah:

Henman tried to escape but didn't worked this time for the lucky brit.

Neely
03-18-2005, 12:31 AM
OUTGUNS!! ;) .... and congrats for your won bet, Bilbo! :yeah:

Yes, well done for Canas this time!

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 12:32 AM
wow i'm really suprised by the result :D

Fergie
03-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Well done Willy!!! :worship:

willie
03-18-2005, 12:37 AM
Great match of cañas!!!!

|-Safin_Coria-|
03-18-2005, 12:41 AM
awesome match by both!
:sad: for Henman......

euroka1
03-18-2005, 12:50 AM
Truly awesome, indeed. My kind of spectator tennis. Restores one's faith in professional tournaments when one can see play like that.

undomiele
03-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Great match. Some games lasted for an eternity. Very close, very well-fought. Love you Canias!! You're the best! :worship: :worship:

NYCtennisfan
03-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Henman didn't win a really good % of his first serves in play and didn't win too many points off of Canas' serve overall. It seems doubtful that Tim can even contend for a big title from here on out.

oneandonlyhsn
03-18-2005, 12:55 AM
Truly awesome, indeed. My kind of spectator tennis. Restores one's faith in professional tournaments when one can see play like that.

Amen to that, I love Canas style of play. I hope he meets Federer in the semis it would be a great match I think. Anyway props to Canas for playing a great match, Henman I feel could have played better, feel bad for the Brit. I like having him around he is such a nice guy, and I like old fashioned serve and volley players.

Pea
03-18-2005, 12:57 AM
Awesome match by Guillermo!!! Great passing shots all through the match!

BiancaUL
03-18-2005, 01:04 AM
:sad: Tim.

Congrats to Guillermo. He played great from what I saw of the match.

Auscon
03-18-2005, 01:06 AM
damn you Verminous! I was hoping for a Henman/Federer semi

euroka1
03-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Amen to that, I love Canas style of play. I hope he meets Federer in the semis it would be a great match I think. Anyway props to Canas for playing a great match, Henman I feel could have played better, feel bad for the Brit. I like having him around he is such a nice guy, and I like old fashioned serve and volley players.

Yes indeed. It brought back memories of the Stefan Edberg years.

Sjengster
03-18-2005, 01:42 AM
It certainly was a great and absorbing contest, largely because both men had to work so hard for their points... and therein lies Henman's problem against Canas. A player of his style should be, in fact has to be, winning cheap points regularly against someone like Canas, and neither the serve nor the forehand have enough pace or margin for error to get the Argentinian off balance on a consistent basis. Canas may huff and puff and wince in agony at bad calls and shout at the sky despairingly from time to time, but you can tell he's loving the challenge of constantly scraping back another ball - Henman is not enjoying the challenge of getting it past him somehow. And that slice backhand has absolutely no impact on Canas' game whatsoever.

My commentators observed that Gumy was evidently being bothered by flies in the player's box, considering the amazing number of gestures he was making towards his man, but he didn't need to bother since Henman gifted him the final point. Winning 5 points off the mighty Canas delivery in a set and a half is little short of appalling.

tennisman.
03-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Henman :smash:

Sjengster
03-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Yes, that sums up the match better than words ever could. It is amazing how someone can be forced to play nine consecutive service games that go to deuce, hold the first six and then lose one for the first time right after breaking their opponent.

Lee
03-18-2005, 01:59 AM
wow i'm really suprised by the result :D

Cañas lead Henman 5-1 in H2H :p and he won the last 5 meetings, including this one. ;)

Sjengster
03-18-2005, 02:02 AM
I think bad gambler might have been using sarcasm there... I'd much rather watch Henman against Hewitt. At least he never even has a chance in the first place in those matches.

Carolinita
03-18-2005, 02:02 AM
:banana: ¡Willy! :banana:

Smankyou
03-18-2005, 02:35 AM
It was expected.

Poor Timmy. Good work Willy.

Sjengster
03-18-2005, 02:39 AM
I do find this quite amusing, from the IW website: "Tough Argentine Guillermo Canas won a gitty 2 hr., 18 min. battle with Tim Henman 7-6 (1), 7-5 to reach the men's semifinals."

I've no doubt Henman finds Canas a real git when they play each other.

Golfnduck
03-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Henman you are a :retard:
Canas deserved to win, he outplayed Tim.

Hendu
03-18-2005, 02:55 AM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

A HUNDRED BANANAS FOR WILLY!!!!!!

I couldn't watch the match... but I don't care because I'm going to watch Cañas in semis!!!! ;)

Well done Guillermo, now fight for the final... :mad:

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 02:57 AM
I'd much rather watch Henman against Hewitt. At least he never even has a chance in the first place in those matches.

you are like Whitler - want to bring more misery to poor timothy, shame on you :p

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 02:59 AM
Well done Cañas you showed why you own Henman.

MissMoJo
03-18-2005, 03:01 AM
Timbo :sad: :(

Havok
03-18-2005, 03:03 AM
IW is most certainly not the 5th biggest tournament, but well done to Canas. I only got to see the middle of the 2nd set onwards, and Canas was playing very well. Henman definitely aided Guillermo with his win with retarded play, but Canas came up with the good when it mattered the most. Nice match.:)

Rogiman
03-18-2005, 03:05 AM
IW is most certainly not the 5th biggest tournament.

I think he meant in terms of number of participants :confused:

willie
03-18-2005, 03:06 AM
Cañas is 1-0 in his head to head with federer......

Havok
03-18-2005, 03:08 AM
So then the Nasdaq has 2 rounds of BYE's for the seeded players?;)

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 03:09 AM

Miami has the same number, but whatever it's not the 5th biggest tournament.

It doesn't matter this is a great result and just as I explained to the Henmaniacs yesterday I didn't have any doubt about Cañas winning and luckily it was true.

Havok
03-18-2005, 03:12 AM
If you had no doubt, why use the word "lukily" then?:p

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 03:15 AM
If you had no doubt, why use the word "lukily" then?:p

Read the preview thread of this match and you'll see that I called the winner of this match and why. Would you have prefered that I use the word thankfully or preferably?

Hendu
03-18-2005, 03:17 AM
I don't care if its the 5th biggest tournament or the 13th.... its a Masters Series Tournament... and its about time Guille wins his second title of this kind ;)

Havok
03-18-2005, 03:21 AM
Read the preview thread of this match and you'll see that I called the winner of this match and why. Would you have prefered that I use the word thankfully or preferably?
Oh, there's a whole other thread pertaining to your choice of words then. Nevermind, couldn't be bothered to go through a thread to get an answer.:)

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 03:23 AM
Oh, there's a whole other thread pertaining to your choice of words then. Nevermind, couldn't be bothered to go through a thread to get an answer.:)

You never answered the 2nd half of the original question. So should I have said thankfully instead of luckily he won.

erik-the-red
03-18-2005, 03:57 AM
This was the first time I saw Canas play.

I'm now a fan :)

Dirk
03-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Naldo the Cup is the 5th biggest tournament. Miami isthe same as all the other masters. Cup has more ranking points and the biggest purse of all in tennis.

Hendu
03-18-2005, 04:02 AM

Great!!! :yeah:

Cañas has the biggest heart in the Tour...

:wavey:

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 04:13 AM

Well this is good to see.

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 04:15 AM

:)

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 04:16 AM
:)

Shouldn't have we been paid already for the Cañas win?

undomiele
03-18-2005, 04:17 AM

Thats right. ;)

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Shouldn't have we been paid already for the Cañas win?

i'm just counting the zeroes as we speak ;)

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 04:19 AM
i'm just counting the zeroes as we speak ;)

I should hope so, but that's not the point. I would like to see jez to make sure he's ok. The preview thread was fun and the result even better. :)

Hendu
03-18-2005, 06:05 AM
Ok Willy, if someone is going to beat Federer it is YOU!!!!

Come on!!! You can do it...

I can't wait for that match... I am sure Willy is going to put up a great fight :mad:

Wulfram
03-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Poor, Tim. You need to play better at Miami

joeb_uk
03-18-2005, 08:23 AM
Great win for canas, he was rarely losing points on his serve and henman didnt mount a challenge against serve apart from 1/2 games. Canas's forehand passing shots were amazing, and it was great to see him ripping winners past tim continually. Cant wait for the federer canas match! should be excellent.

Horatio Caine
03-18-2005, 09:33 AM
I should hope so, but that's not the point. I would like to see jez to make sure he's ok. The preview thread was fun and the result even better. :)

I'm just recovering now after drowing my sorrows last night!! Nah - I'm okay! Tim didn't play as well as he needed to. If he had kept the break in the second set...things might have got interesting. Well played Willy - Tim clearly wasn't good enough :tears: :bigcry:

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm just recovering now after drowing my sorrows last night!! Nah - I'm okay! Tim didn't play as well as he needed to. If he had kept the break in the second set...things might have got interesting. Well played Willy - Tim clearly wasn't good enough :tears: :bigcry:

Good to see you show the example, that's the thing Tim wasn't good enough to win on the day and Willy is in headspace for sure.

Adman
03-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Well Done Guillermo but bad luck to Tim the unlucky Brit who always comes second. (In matches not finals!)

Horatio Caine
03-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Good to see you show the example, that's the thing Tim wasn't good enough to win on the day and Willy is in headspace for sure.

I'm not so sure Canas will unduly trouble Roger though - it is one thing to play well against Henman...it is quite another to have to raise your game further just to stay with the best player in the world.

In a way I'm glad Tim lost based on that performance...the scoreline he would have been dealt at the hands of Fed doesn't even bear thinking of!! Canas ought to be a better prospect...but the score will still be something like 6/4 6/3.

Action Jackson
03-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Cañas isn't favoured, but it has been quite a lot of years since they've played and I can't lose as whoever wins the match, the result is good with me.

Aphex
03-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Canas is the man, Henman is the henman.

deflori
03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
VAMMMMOS!!!!!!!!!! GUILLEE!!!!

One of the biggest Fighters out there,go on willy!!

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Canas is the man, Henman is the henman.

LOL how long did it take for you to come up with that?

Bilbo
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
IW is most certainly not the 5th biggest tournament

Together with Miami it is but I give the edge to IW because it has the 2nd biggest tennis court in the world after Arthur Ashe.

Angle Queen
03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
Truly awesome, indeed. My kind of spectator tennis. Restores one's faith in professional tournaments when one can see play like that.Exactly. My husband, who cannot stand tennis, actually stood there, mouth open...and watched several games with me. And his final comment before scooting out to his monthly poker game was...'honey, that Tim guy's games look like yours. All those deuces and stuff.' I was rolling on the floor.

Seriously, though, I thought it was an excellent...and entertaining...contest.

I'm now a fan :)I'll fit into that category too. Still wanted Henman to win...but the better man did. :hatoff: to Cañas.

jazz_girl
03-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Great match from both players, and congratulations to Willy! :worship:
I love how he fights for every ball and leaves his heart in the court. Thank you Willy!!!!
I hope they show the Federer vs Cañas match at a reasonable hour cause I wanna see it!!!! :)

Aguante_el_Gato
03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
CONGRATS TO WILLY!!!! :bounce: :banana:
I believe that it's clear that Henman don't like Cañas's Game. He feels uncomfortable.
I only saw until the 4th game of 2nd set, and it was clear that Henman didn't play his habitual tennis, he was much more cautious to go to the net.
Cañas not only have an enormous heart, in addition he's a great counterstroker and he feels comfortable playing in this way. :hatoff:
(sorry for my bad english)

Rex
03-18-2005, 01:49 PM
well done guillermo- bet he is happy

RonE
03-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Good match :yeah:

TennisLurker
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
-I dont think he has a chance against Fed, Fed is going to rip backhands down the line when Guillermo leaves all that open space to hit his forehand.

Hendu
03-18-2005, 02:15 PM
-I dont think he has a chance against Fed, Fed is going to rip backhands down the line when Guillermo leaves all that open space to hit his forehand.

yes, I know... :sad:

But Willy will fight till the end... if Federer has a bad day, then Cañas has a chance... (I know Federer has a bad day once in a year).

TennisLurker
03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I think in all his loses last year except against Henman and Guga, Fed was having a bad day, so, if he has a bad day Guillermo could win.

Hendu
03-18-2005, 02:36 PM
If Cañas wants to win then he has to get to the next level... the level he showed in Toronto TMS some years ago...

The thing is, I think his backhand is not looking as good as it used to (before his injuries).

the forehand has always been his strongest shot, but some time ago he didn't "hide" his backhand this much.

Anyway, he is going to have to serve really well, and attack every time he has the chance... and give everything he has inside of him, as always... ;)

fco253
03-18-2005, 04:28 PM
The thing is, I think his backhand is not looking as good as it used to (before his injuries).

the forehand has always been his strongest shot, but some time ago he didn't "hide" his backhand this much.

Exactly mi view.

I am even more amazed at the results he has gotten since his last injury, because as his backhand and his serve are nowhere near the level they were in 2002, he's doing it backed only with his super-heart and his counter punching (that's why he still struggles more on clay and against players that don't attack him)..

Cañas of 02 was more imposing from ground strokes, I feel this Moya court stance is a result of his lost confidence with the BH .. I really hope he gets the full package back, that way he could place himself steadily in the top 8 at least and be a real threat for the circuit first tier...

He surely deserves it.

Rogiman
03-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Exactly mi view.

I am even more amazed at the results he has gotten since his last injury, because as his backhand and his serve are nowhere near the level they were in 2002.

That's true!
I remember him hitting something like 3 consecutive aces to close out his match against Roddick in the final - not that Duckboy could ever be suspected for being a good returner.

Did he hit a single ace yesterday against Henman?

Aleksa's Laydee
03-18-2005, 06:23 PM
:yeah:

TennisLurker
03-18-2005, 07:37 PM
I dont remember him hitting a single ace, I also remember Wertheim calling Guillermo something like a guy who has great firepower with his two wings , three years ago, and that is no longer true, I dont remember the last time I saw him hitting a backhand down the line winner (not passing shot).

He was a lot better before his injury

Space Cowgirl
03-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Damn German tv for not showing any of these matches :mad:

Hendu
03-18-2005, 08:43 PM
I dont remember him hitting a single ace, I also remember Wertheim calling Guillermo something like a guy who has great firepower with his two wings , three years ago, and that is no longer true, I dont remember the last time I saw him hitting a backhand down the line winner (not passing shot).

he was better but I don't know if a lot...

but the funny thing is that his best season was last year... after the injury... (he said that, and his ranking backs him up).

anyway, I hope he is a top ten at the end of the year... he can certainly do it, with or without his "old" backhand. :)

bad gambler
03-18-2005, 08:45 PM
... and give everything he has inside of him, as always... ;)

regardless of the result against fed at least this is guaranteed - great heart and reason why he has many fans outside sth america :)

Horatio Caine
03-18-2005, 09:23 PM
If Cañas wants to win then he has to get to the next level... the level he showed in Toronto TMS some years ago...

Anyway, he is going to have to serve really well, and attack every time he has the chance... and give everything he has inside of him, as always... ;)

Canas will have to the match of his life. His win in Toronto, although oustanding is not enough. He would have to play better than that too.

adeegee
03-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Canas was absolutely fantastic yesterday. He really outplayed Henman and should've won by a lot easier scoreline. An interesting fact (I don't know if its already been posted), Henman was either broken or taken to deuce in his last 9 service games! As much as Canas impressed me, I really can't see him beating Federer. Getting everything back was good enough against Henman, but Federer can probably hit through Canas in a similar way he has done against Hewitt in recent matches. Henman's game just matches up really badly against Canas/Hewitt, both are such good returners, and love a target at the net. They also make very few errors which is crucial against the likes of the erratic Henman, 1 great point then 3 poor ones.

Action Jackson
03-19-2005, 02:21 AM
regardless of the result against fed at least this is guaranteed - great heart and reason why he has many fans outside sth america :)

Cañas is a warrior and I agree he has a lot of fans outside South America. I know this guy who isn't a huge tennis fan, but when I tell him Cañas is playing on TV, he's there and loving it.

Action Jackson
03-19-2005, 02:24 AM

Interesting summary Lurker, from the matches I saw in Australia he wasn't hiding the backhand say like Moya well not as much as Moya anyway, but I see your point.

Before the injuries I would say he was better, but not that much, and I like the fact that Gumy is his coach a guy who relied on his courage and not so much talent, just like the guy he is coaching.

I hope he can make a match of it with Federer.