gonzalez is braindead [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

gonzalez is braindead

federer express
03-16-2005, 11:12 PM
talented yes, but have never seen anyone play like such an idiot on a tennis court. at any level.!! the guy has no idea how to build a point or what shot to play. he has the tennis sense of a monkey!! and a stupid monkey at that. he is gifting roddick this match at the moment....painful to watch

cartmancop
03-16-2005, 11:21 PM
Yeh, I've always wondered what a player like him would do if he had someone like Brad Gilbert or Lungdren to teach him about playing the right shots and playing smart tennis. It's kinda hard to believe that someone who plays w/o any thought has made it so far.

adeegee
03-16-2005, 11:24 PM
its the way he plays, he wouldn't be the same player if he didn't play like this. and there's absolutely no stopping roddick when he's serving at 84% first serves in, not even fed could deal with this i'd suggest

federer express
03-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeh, I've always wondered what a player like him would do if he had someone like Brad Gilbert or Lungdren to teach him about playing the right shots and playing smart tennis. It's kinda hard to believe that someone who plays w/o any thought has made it so far.

i agree. he could be so much better if he had the sense most people are born with. his play is shocking at times for a top pro. people moan about hewitt roddick and coria (why i have never understood), but watch this crap and justify it to people who have paid and travelled to watch him. at least the other 3 i mentioned always give their best. if i was fernando's coach i would quit!!

federer express
03-16-2005, 11:27 PM
its the way he plays, he wouldn't be the same player if he didn't play like this. and there's absolutely no stopping roddick when he's serving at 84% first serves in, not even fed could deal with this i'd suggest

fed has always dealt with roddick...except on one occasion! and he would again because he is the other end of the spectrum from the dumbass gonzalez. roger knows how to play the game!

adeegee
03-16-2005, 11:36 PM
fed has always dealt with roddick...except on one occasion! and he would again because he is the other end of the spectrum from the dumbass gonzalez. roger knows how to play the game!

there's not much you can do when roddick serves like that. no doubt about it roger would get more balls back in play than gonzo did but andy is still gonna hold serve 98% of the time. also, its likely the pressure of federer at the other end of the court would bring down andy's 1st serve %. it'll be interesting if they meet in the final, andy's gotta win sometime :rolleyes:

federer express
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
there's not much you can do when roddick serves like that. no doubt about it roger would get more balls back in play than gonzo did but andy is still gonna hold serve 98% of the time. also, its likely the pressure of federer at the other end of the court would bring down andy's 1st serve %. it'll be interesting if they meet in the final, andy's gotta win sometime :rolleyes:

wont be interesting cuz federer will win again. and roddick wont make the final anyway! :)

federer express
03-16-2005, 11:38 PM
but back to gonzalez.....****ing ****!!! there was a thread not long ago titled tennis strategy. i think that was actually created by gonzalez. similar level of knowledge displayed anyway!

PaulieM
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
gonzo is extremely frustrating :mad:

RonE
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Absolutely agree- all brawn and no brains :banghead:

It was hilarious listening to the commentating on ESPN- they didn't cut away to commercials and PMac and Cliff were ordering sandwiches and chewing loudly over the mic. At one point PMac said to Cliff "I am going to chew this piece of gum maybe it will stop me from eating" To which Cliff responded "I doubt it". :lol:

After the match they interviewed Roddick who sat with headphones and said "I fell on my ass- ass on pavement" this regarding a point where he lost his footing and just fell like a brick. And PMac goes to Cliff "you know you don't have to eat when you interview Andy" and he asks Andy wether it was bothering him. So Andy says "yes, I know you are eating I can hear you chewing". To which Cliff respnded by yawning loudly. Charming :haha: :o

You'd think they would cut away to a commercial break while stuffing their faces :o

Fergie
03-16-2005, 11:50 PM
gonzo is extremely frustrating :mad:
You're right ... But is so cool when Feña play good and destroy the rivals :lol:

mangoes
03-16-2005, 11:55 PM

I think Fed dealt with it at Wimbledon.

MissMoJo
03-16-2005, 11:59 PM
Absolutely agree- all brawn and no brains :banghead:
You forgot to mention his big mouth :( How can he think about shot selection? he's too busy deciding what he's gonna yell in spanish when he loses the point :rolleyes:

Turkeyballs Paco
03-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Argh! Gonzalez... :mad:

Roger-No.1
03-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Good bye Gonzo.

Scotso
03-17-2005, 12:04 AM
so what's new?

KarstenBraasch#1
03-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Hasn't he always been? :)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:31 AM
The thing is Gonzo can actually play quite thoughtfully and have seen it happen on the rare occasions. When he beat Agassi that wasn't just brawns it was brains as well, plus when he is playing for his country he is usually more responsible.

I am not sure whether Gonzo could be called the epitome of tactical excellence.

federer express
03-17-2005, 12:33 AM
The thing is Gonzo can actually play quite thoughtfully and have seen it happen on the rare occasions. When he beat Agassi that wasn't just brawns it was brains as well, plus when he is playing for his country he is usually more responsible.

I am not sure whether Gonzo could be called the epitome of tactical excellence.

if he can then that just makes todays performance even more shocking though. it was equivalent to throwing the match. everyone has a B game. he desperately needs one too.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:36 AM
if he can then that just makes todays performance even more shocking though. it was equivalent to throwing the match. everyone has a B game. he desperately needs one too.

I've seen him take pace of shots, hit very good drop shots to thrown players off balance, but he is moody it's that simple. On his best days he could beat anyone, on his worst he could lose to lars Burgsmuller.

federer express
03-17-2005, 12:38 AM
I've seen him take pace of shots, hit very good drop shots to thrown players off balance, but he is moody it's that simple. On his best days he could beat anyone, on his worst he could lose to lars Burgsmuller.

anyone can have a bad day. but when having a nightmare u have to be able to tough it out a bit. the shots he goes for take the piss.

KarstenBraasch#1
03-17-2005, 12:38 AM
That bad! :eek:

Lee
03-17-2005, 12:40 AM
but when having a nightmare u have to be able to tough it out a bit.

Not a lot of players, even in top 100, manage that.
:p

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:41 AM
anyone can have a bad day. but when having a nightmare u have to be able to tough it out a bit. the shots he goes for take the piss.

I am not defending the guy, sometimes they go in and other times they don't. It's not easy to watch him play at times and yes I have seen him lose matches to some absolute muppets.

Gilbert wouldn't be able to handle him.

federer express
03-17-2005, 12:41 AM
On his best days he could beat anyone, on his worst he could lose to lars Burgsmuller.

on his worst he could lose to tati rascon!

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:42 AM
on his worst he could lose to tati rascon!

Tati Rascon flows off the tongue and has a fluidity that Lars Burgsmuller doesn't.

federer express
03-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Tati Rascon flows off the tongue and has a fluidity that Lars Burgsmuller doesn't.

lol. very true. shame his game doesn't flow. actually it does i guess....but its still very very bad. but respect to tati anyway for getting into the madrid masters last year. very impressive for someone that i thought i could have beaten when i saw him play!

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 12:28 PM
:haha: :haha:

Fed Express - hope you didn't burst too many blood vessels there!

Bilbo
03-17-2005, 12:30 PM
not even fed could deal with this i'd suggest

don't think so

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:34 PM
That bad! :eek:

Yes, that bad.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
If Andy serves as well as he did against Gonzo...Fed will lose the final 7/6 6/7 7/6 7/6. He will win many points off the Roddick serve..but not 3, 4 in a row. It would be almost impossible.

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Tati, the spanish philippoussis

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 12:51 PM
Andy would have to serve at 100% of 1st serves to beat Roger ( for those Ducks) this is not a serious post.

RonE
03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
If Andy serves as well as he did against Gonzo...Fed will lose the final 7/6 6/7 7/6 7/6. He will win many points off the Roddick serve..but not 3, 4 in a row. It would be almost impossible.

The difference is, Roger will get enough of his serves back and get into rallies that Roddick will be under pressure and feel compelled to hit his serves even harder resulting in a lower 1st serve %.

Gonzo was just not putting Andy's ground game under enough pressure by playing consistenly. He was trying to blast winners off every shot including huge serves that came at him, taking a full swing at them and missing them instead of blocking the return with a shorter backswing and working his way into the rally.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Andy would have to serve at 100% of 1st serves to beat Roger ( for those Ducks) this is not a serious post.

I think 80% is high enough ;)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 01:00 PM
I think 80% is high enough ;)

Considering when they play Rogi outaces the ace machine and the fact that he reads his serve much better than Gonzo and has a better shot selection and will use that to the advantage taking away the one advantage Andrew has over him.

You are letting the hype get the better of you.

Bilbo
03-17-2005, 01:02 PM

don't think so. he could serve at 100% and still lose. pretty sure about that. tennis is not all about serve. if so karlovic would be #1.

federer never has problems with andy's 1st serve. he doesn't need to worry of how good andy is serving on that day. 40% or 80% doesn't make a difference for him.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 01:07 PM
don't think so. he could serve at 100% and still lose. pretty sure about that. tennis is not all about serve. if so karlovic would be #1.

federer never has problems with andy's 1st serve. he doesn't need to worry of how good andy is serving on that day. 40% or 80% doesn't make a difference for him.

That is complete CRAP - if Roddick served at 100% you know, and everyone knows...that he just can't be beaten. It is 99.999999% unlikely he would ever lose.

Karlovic doesn't even have his powre or a start. When the ball comes back he has far fewer chances than Andy to win the point because Karlo is useless at everything else.

Fed would break Andy's serve a maximum of once in one set if he served at 80% - probably not at all. In a tiebreak,m Andy often cranks up the serve more. All it would take is one minibreak. Fed is human and makes mistakes.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Federer beats Duckboy in breakers most of the time or have you missed that jez.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand I wish Gonzo could play on the tour like he does when he is playing for Chile in team competitions. He grows taller and plays with much more concentration in these circumstances.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Federer beats Duckboy in breakers most of the time or have you missed that jez.

That was before Roddick started serving at 80% 1st serves ;)

If Andy serves THAT well...he is the favourite to beat fed in tiebreaks. He wouldn't win every tiebreak...but in a best of 5 set match, I would favour Roddick to win 3 of the 5 tiebreaks available.

Horatio Caine
03-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Anyway, back to the subject at hand I wish Gonzo could play on the tour like he does when he is playing for Chile in team competitions. He grows taller and plays with much more concentration in these circumstances.
Yeah I hope he plays like that too - there is a marked difference in his performance and attitude. He could be top 12 if he played as well as that.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah I hope he plays like that too - there is a marked difference in his performance and attitude. He could be top 12 if he played as well as that.

He lost a tough match on a very fast carpet surface in Moscow against Safin in DC, and he could be a top 10 player for sure. His serve is quite good, well the backhand is a liability, though when he feels in the mood it can be a dangerous shot.

I remember when Agassi bagged him in Washington, then Gonzo came out and beat him and outmanouevered him, not just outblasted him, it was good to see.

Jogy
03-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Gonzalez was total dominated by Roddick, no chance for Gonzo! :yeah:

Fumus
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
In order for Andy to beat Fed he's going to have to do alot more than just serve 80%+, I watched the Kooyong(not Dubai, but you knew what I meant GWH) match where Andy served like that and Fed still broke him and won 6-4, 7-5.

Andy's shots from the baseline will have to be awesome, and he can't sqaunder break points like he did in this match. I still think if Andy plays to his potential he can beat Federer, his serve and forehand are just that good. It's just a matter of meeting on the right day. ;)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 01:58 PM
When has Andy played in Dubai? Come on Fumus you can do better than that.

Neely
03-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Fumus, talking about Andy beating Federer would require a "mission impossible" miracle until he proves otherwise. But I also think that he can do it one time, you never can say how the players develop in the future. But right now, I don't see it if both keep their level up and if none drops (Federer) or raises (Andy) his level significantly should they meet in next time.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 02:07 PM

woopsie, it's alittle early here, I meant that warm up for the Aussie...what's that called....Kooyong...right Kooyong...Dubai...same thing.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:09 PM
woopsie, it's alittle early here, I meant that warm up for the Aussie...what's that called....Kooyong...right Kooyong...Dubai...same thing.

Australia and Qatar are not similar and it was Doha.

Warm up matches in non-sanctioned tournament don't mean much.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Australia and Qatar are not similar and it was Doha.

Warm up matches in non-sanctioned tournament don't mean much.

oh whatever, the point is the same even if the location is not.

It means enough, the players are still playing to win. The point I was trying to make is 80+ serving isn't enough. Until Andy can win points in the backcourt against Federer...you can forget Andy beating him.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
No, I was right the second time it was Kooyong not Doha.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
No, I was right the second time it was Kooyong not Doha.

It's alright you were right with Kooyong and once it clicked I knew what you meant, just making sure the locations were accurate.

I see your initial point and would only agree with it to a certain extent, it's still an exhibition, but at the same time I don't think Andy is smart enough tacitcally to beat Federer consistently, in addition to the points you made, and this has been confirmed more than enough when it was on the line.

kabuki
03-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Back to Fernando, that drop shot on set point was just a total brain cramp. I do wonder tho, what would happen if someone could convince him to take 20% off his shots and only go for the big one on short balls, or the right shot...

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:27 PM
Back to Fernando, that drop shot on set point was just a total brain cramp. I do wonder tho, what would happen if someone could convince him to take 20% off his shots and only go for the big one on short balls, or the right shot...

If you watched the match which he choked against Coria in Miami last year there is your answer, that was up until he was serving for it.

He has done it before and his consistency has actually got better than it was, that says something in itself.

Jogy
03-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Yes, Hitler. And you can do better than picking little locations tournaments errors.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
It's alright you were right with Kooyong and once it clicked I knew what you meant, just making sure the locations were accurate.

I see your initial point and would only agree with it to a certain extent, it's still an exhibition, but at the same time I don't think Andy is smart enough tacitcally to beat Federer consistently, in addition to the points you made, and this has been confirmed more than enough when it was on the line.

Andy's not a dumb guy it's just constructing points for him isn't as natural as it is for Federer. That's why people like Hewitt, Agassi, and Federer tend to burn him because they do have the talent to construct points/play good defense.

I think if they meet on grass/super fast hc a few more times that will be Andy's best shot win. Like I said in my earlier post, it's not something Andy can expect to do consistantly until he gets better, at the moment it's just a thing where they have to meet on the right day.

kabuki
03-17-2005, 02:34 PM
If you watched the match which he choked against Coria in Miami last year there is your answer, that was up until he was serving for it.

He has done it before and his consistency has actually got better than it was, that says something in itself.

What a waste.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
Yes, Hitler. And you can do better than picking little locations tournaments errors.

:bounce: :bounce: you da man brother.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:36 PM
What a waste.

Well many people say that about Rios, but for different reasons. Gonzo will always be capable and have big wins, but he won't be consistent.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:41 PM
Andy's not a dumb guy it's just constructing points for him isn't as natural as it is for Federer. That's why people like Hewitt, Agassi, and Federer tend to burn him because they do have the talent to construct points/play good defense.

I meant he is no tactical wizard, then again with his game, he hasn't had to be, but now he is getting shown up. I mean they are players lower in the rankings who are much better at thinking out points than Andy ever could dream of being, but you have answered the other part as to those 3 players in particular who can do that and have the extra game to expose him.

I think if they meet on grass/super fast hc a few more times that will be Andy's best shot win. Like I said in my earlier post, it's not something Andy can expect to do consistantly until he gets better, at the moment it's just a thing where they have to meet on the right day.

He has played him virtually on every surface and the 2004 Wimbledon was his best chance, but even then I din't panic at all as somehow I don't know why but I just saw Federer getting out of that match with the win.

cobalt60
03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Haven't read all the posts here but in Gonzo's defense there is a lot of crap going on in Chile against his coach. Since he is an emotional player it has to be affecting him.
And he isn't in the top 20 for nothing- he just might never make it into the top ten.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
Haven't read all the posts here but in Gonzo's defense there is a lot of crap going on in Chile against his coach. Since he is an emotional player it has to be affecting him.
And he isn't in the top 20 for nothing- he just might never make it into the top ten.

He has his Chilean citizenship now. What crap are you talking about? It could be a few things, but what specifically?

Actually not all of us are having a go at him.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I meant he is no tactical wizard, then again with his game, he hasn't had to be, but now he is getting shown up. I mean they are players lower in the rankings who are much better at thinking out points than Andy ever could dream of being, but you have answered the other part as to those 3 players in particular who can do that and have the extra game to expose him.

Yea, that's a really good way of putting it. He's slowly learning what he has to do to change his game. I think he's gotten better at taking his time with points and moving opponents around. I mean, he was beating Gonzo from the bl in that match. The score would have been alot more one sided had Andy converted on any of the 9 bps he missed....which is another problem :rolleyes: .

The point is if Andy can get good enough to consistantly challenge the best on their service games by breaking every now and then; he will beat able to Hewitt, Federer, Agassi more consistantly because he won't be so dependant on the serve.

He has played him virtually on every surface and the 2004 Wimbledon was his best chance, but even then I din't panic at all as somehow I don't know why but I just saw Federer getting out of that match with the win.

Oh yea, I think Andy should have won that match. You know if Andy gets a couple of those bps early in the second or it doesn't rain like it did in the third when Andy was up a break...who knows? Yea he lost it's over but that match is sorta proof to me that Andy can still beat Roger when he plays his best.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Yea, that's a really good way of putting it. He's slowly learning what he has to do to change his game. I think he's gotten better at taking his time with points and moving opponents around. I mean, he was beating Gonzo from the bl in that match. The score would have been alot more one sided had Andy converted on any of the 9 bps he missed....which is another problem :rolleyes:

I didn't see the Gonzo match, so I can't comment on that, the only thing I know is that he won. The thing is to change his game, he has to do a lot of other things as well which I have mentioned on other threads, but these 2 tournaments are of the highest importance as once Miami is over, he is not in the running until Queens starts.

Problem with Gonzo is that you don't know which one will show up, but look at what has happened the times Gonzo has played to his level against Andy, Gonzo got the money that day, but this time the right guy won.

The point is if Andy can get good enough to consistantly challenge the best on their service games by breaking every now and then; he will beat able to Hewitt, Federer, Agassi more consistantly because he won't be so dependant on the serve.

The thing is Andy is still one-dimensional and for example he can't or won't hit a heavy moonball against Hewitt to get it out of his range, he doesn't have the backhand down the line to trouble Agassi. With Federer is different, you can tell Roger doesn't really fear Andy that much, I mean he has a fairly good read on his shots and can handle him. I mean there are others, but these are the main three rivals.

Oh yea, I think Andy should have won that match. You know if Andy gets a couple of those bps early in the second or it doesn't rain like it did in the third when Andy was up a break...who knows? Yea he lost it's over but that match is sorta proof to me that Andy can still beat Roger when he plays his best.

You play and know about sport. What ifs don't cut it. He used the rain delay against Ancic to his advantage, but it doesn't always work. You got to take the chances Federer was sluggish and ready to be taken, but he failed to do it when it was there.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 03:32 PM
The thing is Andy is still one-dimensional and for example he can't or won't hit a heavy moonball against Hewitt to get it out of his range, he doesn't have the backhand down the line to trouble Agassi. With Federer is different, you can tell Roger doesn't really fear Andy that much, I mean he has a fairly good read on his shots and can handle him. I mean there are others, but these are the main three rivals.

Yea but it's not the shots he's lacking. It's not like he needs to go out learn how to hit this or do that. It's just a change in mentality, he needs to be willing to do stuff besides bash forehands to win points. I mean, Andy against Hewitt is not something I am worried about. I think Andy will find the way to beat him because it seems like everytime they play Andy blows it. Andre can be beaten if Andy serves in that 70-80 first serve area and Andy comes to net more like he does when he beats Safin.

You play and know about sport. What ifs don't cut it. He used the rain delay against Ancic to his advantage, but it doesn't always work. You got to take the chances Federer was sluggish and ready to be taken, but he failed to do it when it was there.

Oh yea, for sure. I just can take alot away from that match. Andy outplayed Roger for the better part of three sets but managed to still lose the big points, much like Andy did in the Joachim USO 2004 match.

My point with bringing up that match is Andy playing his best can beat Federer(sides the time he did in Canada but that was before Fed became god). He was only a couple "what ifs" away in that match from winning his second grand-slam.

intikab
03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Yea, that's a really good way of putting it. He's slowly learning what he has to do to change his game. I think he's gotten better at taking his time with points and moving opponents around. I mean, he was beating Gonzo from the bl in that match. The score would have been alot more one sided had Andy converted on any of the 9 bps he missed....which is another problem :rolleyes: .

I kinda feel Roddick's game has actually declined since Wimbledon and Toronto finals. I don't know if it's an attempt to be more patient in rallies, but he seems to be more defensive/counterpunching in return games. This is enabling him to break more often against lesser players but not so much against top players. The backhand has become a very, consistent solid stroke, but there is still not much threat of him hitting a winner (except some nice bh passes) or opening up the court. He used to be ultra aggressive with the forehand, now it doesn't seem so imposing (except the inside-out one) - and it is more prone to breaking down making errors. This is what enabled Hewitt to get the better of him in their last two matches. He is coming to the net much more, but it is more of the bluffing variety.

His aggressive, take-no-prisoners approach he was using last year almost beat Fed at Wim. If he plays like that, and not try to bluff his way to net, play defensive he won't lose to players like Agassi and Hewitt, and will have a chance to beat Fed (who is human and will have some off days).

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Yea but it's not the shots he lacking. It's not like he needs to go out learn how to hit this or do that. It's just a change in mentality, he needs to to willing to stuff besides bash forehands to win points. I mean, Andy against Hewitt is not something I am worried about. I think Andy will find the way to beat him because it seems like everytime they play Andy blows it. Andre can be beaten if Andy serves in that 70-80 first serve area and Andy comes to net more like he does when he beats Safin.

I'll try and tie all this in, but here is something quick. Hewitt eats pace and lives for it. Andy gives it to him, if he didn't give it to him all the time, that is a tactical change as you know that would work better in that regard. I still see Hewitt getting the better mainly because his return of serve is very good and the fact tha Andy doesn't have the subtlety, that doesn't mean the ability to change it up consistently.

Well Agassi won't be around for much longer, but the only time he has got him was on a grass court and that is the same with Hewitt, so there is a definite problem there a combined 3-18 against 3 of his top opponents is something that needs examining. The Safin ones are interesting they have virtually been shootouts which you'd think suggest there isn't much between them, but with the others there are definite problems, tactical solutions and a different fitness regime is needed as well.

To relate this to Gonzalez whose lack of brain this thread is about, the main difference between these 2 players is that Gonzo is better on clay and while they have similar games Andy is a lot more consistent.

One last thing to that last point Ljubicic did make a very good point. He felt he knew exactly what Andy is going to do in that DC match and with his increased confidence, instead of blowing his chances, he took them. That's the thing he's easy to read, but the player has to be good enough to beat him on that day.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
I'll try and tie all this in, but here is something quick. Hewitt eats pace and lives for it. Andy gives it to him, if he didn't give it to him all the time, that is a tactical change as you know that would work better in that regard. I still see Hewitt getting the better mainly because his return of serve is very good and the fact tha Andy doesn't have the subtlety, that doesn't mean the ability to change it up consistently.

Well Agassi won't be around for much longer, but the only time he has got him was on a grass court and that is the same with Hewitt, so there is a definite problem there a combined 3-18 against 3 of his top opponents is something that needs examining. The Safin ones are interesting they have virtually been shootouts which you'd think suggest there isn't much between them, but with the others there are definite problems, tactical solutions and a different fitness regime is needed as well.

To relate this to Gonzalez whose lack of brain this thread is about, the main difference between these 2 players is that Gonzo is better on clay and while they have similar games Andy is a lot more consistent.

One last thing to that last point Ljubicic did make a very good point. He felt he knew exactly what Andy is going to do in that DC match and with his increased confidence, instead of blowing his chances, he took them. That's the thing he's easy to read, but the player has to be good enough to beat him on that day.

Yea those are all good points, I just think Roddick is more talented than Hewitt and he has bigger weapons. Only time will tell but I think Roddick will start notching wins against him. Federer had similar problems against Hewitt too but he figured Hewitts game out. Roddick will figure out Hewitt's game too. If Roddick's game is predictable, Hewitts game is super predictable(hell he hits the same two shots over and over again). :cool:

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Yea those are all good points, I just think Roddick is more talented than Hewitt and he has bigger weapons. Only time will tell but I think Roddick will start notching wins against him. Federer had similar problems against Hewitt too but he figured Hewitts game out. Roddick will figure out Hewitt's game too. If Roddick's game is predictable, Hewitts game is super predictable(hell he hits the same two shots over and over again). :cool:

Federer has more overall to hurt Hewitt than Roddick, but don't forget Federer while he has a slower serve, he does place it better. Sure Roddick has great power, but it takes more than power to beat Hewitt, Roger got patient as well, something Andy hasn't done, once he decided to get patient and also Federer varies the heights and spins of shots which takes a fastcourt counterpuncher out of his comfort zone then he is able to impose his game on Hewitt.

The last 2 times Hewitt had Roddick beaten in the mind, Andy if he is serious won't bother trying to outpsyche Hewitt, he should concentrate on other aspects and until he does that I seriously see quite a big domination though not to the Federer extent.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Federer has more overall to hurt Hewitt than Roddick, but don't forget Federer while he has a slower serve, he does place it better. Sure Roddick has great power, but it takes more than power to beat Hewitt, Roger got patient as well, something Andy hasn't done, once he decided to get patient and also Federer varies the heights and spins of shots which takes a fastcourt counterpuncher out of his comfort zone then he is able to impose his game on Hewitt.

The last 2 times Hewitt had Roddick beaten in the mind, Andy if he is serious won't bother trying to outpsyche Hewitt, he should concentrate on other aspects and until he does that I seriously see quite a big domination though not to the Federer extent.

Yea that's where I disagree, I mean the AO semi-final, and USO 2001 Roddick blew mentally. That's what I mean though, Andy has got to hold it together against Hewitt because once he does that he can start to beat him. Roddick's record against Hewitt isn't as bad as what it looks like. One loss Roddick retired and the other was when Roddick was a baby on tour in Miami 2001. So really Andy is 1-3 against Hewitt and 1-2 in the last three years. He will figure Hewitt's game out but not in the same way Federer did obiviously.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Yea that's where I disagree, I mean the AO semi-final, and USO 2001 Roddick blew mentally. That's what I mean though, Andy has got to hold it together against Hewitt because once he does that he can start to beat him. Roddick's record against Hewitt isn't as bad as what it looks like. One loss Roddick retired and the other was when Roddick was a baby on tour in Miami 2001. So really Andy is 1-3 against Hewitt and 1-2 in the last three years. He will figure Hewitt's game out but not in the same way Federer did obiviously.

TMC he got smashed that can happen when one of the best players it's their day that happens. Actually that was his best performance on clay until he seized up in the legs. The thing is if comes to the net, his volleying isn't that great and also if he moves too close, he'll get stung with the lobs, so he needs to very careful. The thing is that he has certain strengths, but tacitcally he hasn't got it to use it to his advantage.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
TMC he got smashed that can happen when one of the best players it's their day that happens. Actually that was his best performance on clay until he seized up in the legs. The thing is if comes to the net, his volleying isn't that great and also if he moves too close, he'll get stung with the lobs, so he needs to very careful. The thing is that he has certain strengths, but tacitcally he hasn't got it to use it to his advantage.

Yea, I mean the TMC match was embarassing but I just don't think they have played enough recently to say Hewitt is soo much better with this or that. You can say that with Federer and Roddick. With Hewitt it's different, it's much closer and at AO I definitly think Andy blew that one. TMC Hewitt was really on but, Andy took the wrong strategy.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
The gap between the two isn't as large and that can't be disputed. Sure he has handled Coria a similar type of player, but Hewitt is more aggressive now than he was, but he handles pace and Roddick gives him the stuff that he likes.

Basic tennis if you know what your opponent doesn't like, give it to them as much as possible though not lose the strengths of his own game. He could take off some pace, it's not like Roddick's forehand lacks penetration and you know the backhand to backhands are 99,9 per cent crosscourt, but he needs to think a bit differently than he has in the past.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 04:55 PM
The gap between the two isn't as large and that can't be disputed. Sure he has handled Coria a similar type of player, but Hewitt is more aggressive now than he was, but he handles pace and Roddick gives him the stuff that he likes.

Basic tennis if you know what your opponent doesn't like, give it to them as much as possible though not lose the strengths of his own game. He could take off some pace, it's not like Roddick's forehand lacks penetration and you know the backhand to backhands are 99,9 per cent crosscourt, but he needs to think a bit differently than he has in the past.

Yea, I agree for the most part...you know Roddicks game very well :worship: . He needs a DNL backhand very badly and alittle change of pace with some big loopers would be a good a idea too. Yea only a matter of time til he beats Hewitt on a HC.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:02 PM
Yea, I agree for the most part...you know Roddicks game very well :worship: . He needs a DNL backhand very badly and alittle change of pace with some big loopers would be a good a idea too. Yea only a matter of time til he beats Hewitt on a HC.

I mean I do watch tennis and I am not just a racist, nazi, xenophobic bastard who hates hard hitters you see.

I have seen enough of his matches, the thing is his backhand has come a long way from what it was, but this is the hard bit it does need that extra improvement and that's harder now.

It's a technique thing on the backhand which makes it harder for him to hit DTL, that would help. I mean with the loopers we are not talking 5m clearance over the net as funny as that would be, but with doing that, his footwork would need to improve tenfold as he would need to adjust to varying positions on court and not just behind the baseline, but near it once he hits those shots.

On a hardcourt you'd think he'd have to beat him once, but very silly things happen in this game.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I mean I do watch tennis and I am not just a racist, nazi, xenophobic bastard who hates hard hitters you see.

I have seen enough of his matches, the thing is his backhand has come a long way from what it was, but this is the hard bit it does need that extra improvement and that's harder now.

It's a technique thing on the backhand which makes it harder for him to hit DTL, that would help. I mean with the loopers we are not talking 5m clearance over the net as funny as that would be, but with doing that, his footwork would need to improve tenfold as he would need to adjust to varying positions on court and not just behind the baseline, but near it once he hits those shots.

On a hardcourt you'd think he'd have to beat him once, but very silly things happen in this game.

You know Brad Gilbert 0-16 against Lendl you'de think he would have gotten one too.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:08 PM
You know Brad Gilbert 0-16 against Lendl you'de think he would have gotten one too.

Lendl was a few steps above what Gilbert ever could be.

Sometimes winning Ugly isn't enough. :)

willie
03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
talented yes, but have never seen anyone play like such an idiot on a tennis court. at any level.!! the guy has no idea how to build a point or what shot to play. he has the tennis sense of a monkey!! and a stupid monkey at that. he is gifting roddick this match at the moment....painful to watch

:LOL:, Great post. all you said is true. i always said he was a monkey.:lol:

Fumus
03-17-2005, 05:11 PM
Lendl was a few steps above what Gilbert ever could be.

Sometimes winning Ugly isn't enough. :)

Yea, sometimes you win some and some times you lose some, and some you just lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...lose some...

just ask Vince Spadea... :o

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:12 PM
:LOL:, Great post. all you said is true. i always said he was a monkey.:lol:

Would you like him if he was Argentinian?

Fumus
03-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Who doesn't like Gonzo already, he definitly entertainment incarnate you can't deny that.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:20 PM
Who doesn't like Gonzo already, he definitly entertainment incarnate you can't deny that.

There are a few out there who don't like him for various reasons.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 05:23 PM
There are a few out there who don't like him for various reasons.

I know about fans not liking players for stupid reasons...I am a Roddick fan ;)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
I know about fans not liking players for stupid reasons...I am a Roddick fan ;)

I've got mine for not liking him, but at least I can talk about his game.

Fumus
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Yea, well you seem to be pretty insightful about his game. You don't like him but, you understand/respect his game?

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Yea, well you seem to be pretty insightful about his game. You don't like him but, you understand/respect his game?

I like the game of tennis and that means I have to watch all sorts of players and then be able to form my own views from what I see. I can seperate the personal views, the reason that is through previous employment that I had, plus it doesn't help. The personalities have to be seperated if I am talking about someone's tennis it's the same for Hewitt/Agassi, it's the same for players I like.

The thing is people see what they want to see and can get too caugt up in the moment.

willie
03-17-2005, 05:40 PM

no, i dont think so, calleri is the argentinean with the most similar game to gonzalez, i dont like him.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:41 PM
no, i dont think so, calleri is the argentinean with the most similar game to gonzalez, i dont like him.

El Gordo is a good guy though. At least he plays well in Davis Cup.

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:44 PM
El Gordo is a good guy though. At least he plays well in Davis Cup.

OK, I finally get to the level in my Spanish to know what gordo means :p Why's the nickname?

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:46 PM
OK, I finally get to the level in my Spanish to know what gordo means :p Why's the nickname?

Calleri is a big guy and he used to carry a bit of excess weight before, so they gave him the nickname El Gordo.

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Calleri is a big guy and he used to carry a bit of excess weight before, so they gave him the nickname El Gordo.

worse than Nalbandian once was?

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM

This thread has gone in about 20 directions.

Gonzo is a nimrod on court.
Roddick's win
The match itself
Fed vs Roddick
Hewitt/Agassi/Fed vs Roddick
Roddick's game
Why people dislike Gonzo
What does El Gordo mean

I think it's great.

He was beefy that's all I will say.

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM

Roddick's win
The match itself
Fed vs Roddick
Roddick's game
Why people dislike Gonzo
What does El Gordo mean

I think it's great.

We can further redirect this to all those South American players. ;)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM
If I can find some old Calleri pics I'll let you know.

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:24 PM
watching Gonzo is like watching the william sisters, dont enjoy his game.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:27 PM
watching Gonzo is like watching the william sisters, dont enjoy his game.

You must like watching Gonzo and Calleri then?

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:29 PM
No, unless they play someone I dislike intensely, like Roddick, then I cheer for them, but otherwise I dont like them.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
No, unless they play someone I dislike intensely, like Roddick, then I cheer for them, but otherwise I dont like them.

How is old Squillari going?

Btw, off topic I put something with Chesnokov and Gustafsson in the oldies thread.

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I think he isnt even playing challengers, I guess he will anounce his retirement later this year.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Too bad I liked the big guy with the huge forehand.

adeegee
03-17-2005, 06:36 PM
i remember franco squillari producing the most remarkable display to lose to richard gasquet

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:38 PM
This thread has taken another direction.

I remember Squillari when he was going for broke against Agassi for 2 sets, baldy had no clue for the other 3 Franco was missing everything.

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:39 PM
His game is so outdated, he plays three/four mts behind the baseline, and refuses to play near the baseline, in fact he is one of the few players strong enough to hit winners consistently from that position.

Lee
03-17-2005, 06:40 PM
This thread has taken another direction.

Just following the direction I mentioned earlier.

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Baldy said Franco had the heaviest forehand he had ever seen, I saw Franco killing Marc Lopez live last year, rah.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
His game is so outdated, he plays three/four mts behind the baseline, and refuses to play near the baseline, in fact he is one of the few players strong enough to hit winners consistently from that position.

The king of Munich and also winning Stuttgart.

I had a soft spot for him for sure and it was a great forehand.

Brinyi
03-17-2005, 06:43 PM
El Muster de las Pampas!

TennisLurker
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Brinyi, I will buy a new computer within the next 4 days, I will visit the cult soon.

Hurley has a thing for fat argie men who play like muster, he likes Calleri and Franco

Brinyi
03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi Lurker -- the place is pretty dead but it seems to be filling up from people who were banned from here, or something like that. Anyway I lurk here and at Riley's for your wit and wisdom.

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Hurley has a thing for fat argie men who play like muster, he likes Calleri and Franco

Not fat, big eating all those quality Argentine steaks.

Gumy and Mancini forever.

Lee
03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
And Brinyi is here too! :eek:

Aleksa's Laydee
03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
so what's new?

:haha: :haha:

Brinyi
03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't say Calleri plays like Muster, but he is an Argy and he is fat. :)

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't say Calleri plays like Muster, but he is an Argy and he is fat. :)

Not as fat as he was, though Joan Balcells was a bit on the big side.

Brinyi
03-17-2005, 07:10 PM
Who the hell is Juan Balcells? Mwahahahaha!

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 07:11 PM

I should ignore you for quoting Worthless. :)

Lee
03-17-2005, 07:15 PM
We love Worthless!! Where can we find topics to whine about when it's not clay seaon?

AND DON'T CALL CALLERI GORDE. I saw some of his pic and our physique is similar, just that he's extra-large size and I'm small. Soy no gorde!!!!!!

Action Jackson
03-17-2005, 07:27 PM
That's the thing he is not fat anymore especially when he had the name El Gordo, though they still call him that among the Argentines.

Neely
03-17-2005, 11:25 PM
You better not mention this name, I get nightmares because of him :o :(

nkhera1
03-18-2005, 12:33 AM

Roddick's win
The match itself
Fed vs Roddick
Roddick's game
Why people dislike Gonzo
What does El Gordo mean

I think it's great.

Lol this is great GeorgeWHitler.

To answer most of the questions yes Gonzo may be the worst tactical player out there. He would be so much better if he could actually think.

Roddick played really well and actually should have won by more than he did.

Federer is able to break Roddick 1 or 2 times which is enough for the win. Roddick just can't hit a backhand down the line and i don't see him hitting that many winners of his forehand any more, though maybe i need to watch him more. He needs to develop a good down the line backhand and maybe flatten his forehand a little if possible. Also a reason why Fed is so good is because he is such a good defensive player becuase of his slice, movement, and running forehand. Roddick needs to become better as a counter puncher meaning he can hit a few defensive shots and then go for the momentum changing shot to put him on top in the rally. I think he needs to work on his movement a little and stamina so he can last in a 5 set match.

If Roddick works on the things mentioned above he will be able to beat Hewitt and Agassi. Oh yean and 1 more thing to add is that he has to place his serve well (like Federer) rather than just hit it as hard as he can to get more free points off of his serve.

I mentioned Roddick's game above.

I don't know why people dislike Gonzo.

El Gordo means he fat or the fat.

willie
03-18-2005, 05:52 AM

jajaja :lol:
nalbandian was for tennis category +100kg last year.

ftd999
03-18-2005, 06:04 AM

Yeah, he always does this. He's pure energy on the court, but he only has one gear. I was surprised Roddick played as solid as he did since guys like this completely destroy your rhythm. But it sounds like he had a good warm up for this match with Verdasco in the first round.

yonexforever
03-18-2005, 06:29 AM
I agree Gonzalez plays BONEHEAD tennis!!!
What a shame!!

Experimentee
03-19-2005, 02:46 PM
I remember Gonzo played Mark P at WImby, he lost a set 6-1 and was just hitting everything as hard as he could without thinking about it. His 2nd serves were faster than his 1st serves, and he was just trying to hit everything for a winner :retard:

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 06:22 PM
We love Worthless!! Where can we find topics to whine about when it's not clay seaon?

AND DON'T CALL CALLERI GORDE. I saw some of his pic and our physique is similar, just that he's extra-large size and I'm small. Soy no gorde!!!!!!
Agustin is kinda cute :drool: are u like him :inlove: ;) ?

Lee
03-19-2005, 06:31 PM
Agustin is kinda cute :drool: are u like him :inlove: ;) ?

:smash: You are not interested in woman

There's why I feel so free to :smooch: you :devil:

I'm cute according to my hubby ;)

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 06:37 PM
:smash: You are not interested in woman

There's why I feel so free to :smooch: you :devil:

I'm cute according to my hubby ;)
Who knows :devil: ?. Fee tempted me in the past , but i'm strong :angel: No breasts in this planet can beat Rainer's derriere :bowdown:

Saumon
03-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Gonzo is braindead but hot!! :drool: :devil:

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Gonzo is braindead but hot!! :drool: :devil:
I agree. Who needs a brain with those hairy legs, chest and butt . Bring him to our place, Sauna Monster. Rainer and I will be waiting :cool: :drool: ;)

Saumon
03-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I will bring Safin and Tommy TheButt too ;) :lick: ok? :aplot:

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
I will bring Safin and Tommy TheButt too ;) :lick: ok? :aplot:
Safin+Gonzo+Haas+Rainer+You+Me CUM On :drool:

Lee
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
That's quite a derailment of the thread ;)

Saumon
03-19-2005, 07:11 PM
i was talking about robredo but well, let's bring the german tommy too :angel:

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
That's quite a derailment of the thread ;)
:eek: *cough* Eh, yes guys, as i was saying, Gonzo lacks strategy while playing. He should work with another coach, DE La Peña can't bring anything else to the table :shrug: Maybe Pasos? :angel:

alfonsojose
03-19-2005, 07:13 PM
i was talking about robredo but well, let's bring the german tommy too :angel:
No Sauna can handle Robredo's and Rainer's low back muscles :angel: at the same time. We all could die suffocated ;)

savfan104
03-20-2005, 02:47 AM
Yeh, I've always wondered what a player like him would do if he had someone like Brad Gilbert or Lungdren to teach him about playing the right shots and playing smart tennis.

He'd listen, and then fire them and ignore what they said ;-p

From what I heard, he had a couple of coaches before De La Peña, ones who actually tried to get him to play strategically. They didn't last - De La Peña stayed because he basically resigned himself to not even trying to prevent Gonzo from flaling at everything, and working on other things.

Or at least that's from what I've heard...

*Viva Chile*
03-20-2005, 04:06 AM
He'd listen, and then fire them and ignore what they said ;-p

From what I heard, he had a couple of coaches before De La Peña, ones who actually tried to get him to play strategically. They didn't last - De La Peña stayed because he basically resigned himself to not even trying to prevent Gonzo from flaling at everything, and working on other things.

Or at least that's from what I've heard...

You're totally right savfan104 :yeah:

tennisman.
03-20-2005, 04:19 AM
I like Gonzo,he plays with a big heart and gives everything he has,and thats why i like him

federer express
04-15-2005, 12:23 AM
I like Gonzo,he plays with a big heart and gives everything he has,and thats why i like him

well he definitely showed that against federer. his game is hit-and-miss and probably always will be. maybe its what he does best....

Daniel
04-15-2005, 12:31 AM

:o

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 03:53 AM
well he definitely showed that against federer. his game is hit-and-miss and probably always will be. maybe its what he does best....

Welcome back controversial one, that's the way Gonzalez is, the unpredictability makes him what he is, but he does play more responsibly when he plays for Chile.

*Viva Chile*
04-15-2005, 03:56 AM
Gonzo did a good job today, he played well, but Federer is Federer, thats all.

Fernando generally plays well against top ten players (remember... vs. Hewitt, Agassi, Ferrero when he was n° 1)...

Action Jackson
04-15-2005, 04:01 AM
I had no problem with the way Gonzalez played and he gave Federer something to think about.

WyveN
04-15-2005, 05:04 AM
cant expect gonzo to outfinesse his opponents, its either a cm inside the line or 20 meters beyond the line.

Rex
04-15-2005, 12:37 PM
gonzalez- only knows to ply the way he does, he is great player by nature, he puts body,mind and soul into every shot. So if he loses everything for the rest of his life, he can say that he tried hard.

tennischick
04-15-2005, 03:10 PM
De La Pena doesn't seem to have any problems with how Gonzo plays. on the contrary he is seeking Chilean citizenship so that he can help Gonzo become even better at being Gonzo. i think his game is physically risky but he seems to have faith in his coach.

Fergie
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
Feña was ill yesterday and still played a great match ... I love the way that he play, all or nothing ;)

federer express
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
i take this thread back! this performance against coria is incredible! :)

Neely
05-03-2005, 01:49 PM
Very tough match at the moment and he survived critical situations!
So his brain is working today ;)

federer express
05-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Very tough match at the moment and he survived critical situations!
So his brain is working today ;)

and a win for keifer too...how happy must u be!

Neely
05-03-2005, 01:55 PM
and a win for keifer too...how happy must u be!
not so happy when I see that Kiefer has to play one of these two in the next round ;) :o

*Viva Chile*
11-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Great time to resucitate this thread. I'm really dissapointed with Feña's performance today. :mad:
I hope that must will be his last choke moment against argentines.

sigmagirl91
11-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Sorry that you're upset, but shit happens sometimes.

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Sorry that you're upset, but shit happens sometimes.

Those who like David know well that.. :wavey:

NYCtennisfan
11-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Horribly tough match for Gonzo fans. :(

Sparko1030
11-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Great time to resucitate this thread. I'm really dissapointed with Feña's performance today. :mad:

I am very sad he lost too when he should have won but it sounds like you're even more upset because he lost to an Argentine. That I can't know about since I'm not Chilean but in Fernando's defense he did beat Nalbandian and Coria this year. :) The moment was just too big for Nando this time-I'm confindent that the next time he finds himself in such a postion he will be tougher. He's smart=he will learn.

+alonso
11-18-2005, 04:34 PM
OMG ppl STOP!!!!!
I've been sad, and almost in tears for hours...
you suck..
I hjate this f*ckin thread

R.Federer
11-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I am really sorry for Gonza today, he played pretty good I watch the match there were some good winners
But congratulations for gaston, he really did show that he is not mental weakness

uNIVERSE mAN
11-18-2005, 04:37 PM
He's smart=he will learn.

:haha:

celia
11-18-2005, 04:38 PM
i started feeling badly for Gonzo when Pat and Cliff started ragging on him and predicting his bad play. the worst point was when he was down break-point in the last set and went for the second serve ace. and as he was about to serve, Cliff predicted "watch him go for the ace". and sure enough he did -- and missed by a mile. i felt bad for the dude.

plus his coach was openy coaching him. they caught him on camera doing it. but Gonzo lost anyway. it was just not his day. there was too much on the line for him to play so carelessly.

Action Jackson
11-18-2005, 04:39 PM

http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/smilies/notworthy.gif http://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/smilies/notworthy.gif

shotgun
11-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I am very sad he lost too when he should have won but it sounds like you're even more upset because he lost to an Argentine. That I can't know about since I'm not Chilean but in Fernando's defense he did beat Nalbandian and Coria this year. :) The moment was just too big for Nando this time-I'm confindent that the next time he finds himself in such a postion he will be tougher. He's smart=he will learn.

I guess that he's not upset because Feña lost to an argentine, but because of the argentine he lost to. :p

*Viva Chile*
11-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Yeah, maybe. I always will be a Fernando's fan, but I have to say when I'm dissapointed with him. Fernando lost all his brain after lost his serve and the 3 match points and that's all :( It was the opportunity to be top 10, he got it and then miss the train. He is smart, I know... but he might to retain his brain in this type of moments. And that was my final post in this thread.

Sparko1030
11-18-2005, 04:42 PM
OMG ppl STOP!!!!!
you suck..

:hug: Yeah, there are always the vultures on the MTF ready to pick every player apart. Players are going to lose and posters are going to enjoy being mean. Probably makes them feel better about themselves to put a pro athlete down lol! Fena has worked his way up to #11-pretty good for somebody that's braindead! :lol:

celia
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
I guess that he's not upset because Feña lost to an argentine, but because of the argentine he lost to. :p
maybe it's both. these inter-country rivalries can be fierce. :lol:

Sparko1030
11-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Yeah, maybe. I always will be a Fernando's fan, but I have to say when I'm dissapointed with him. Fernando lost all his brain after lost his serve and the 3 match points and that's all :( It was the opportunity to be top 10, he got it and then miss the train. He is smart, I know... but he might to retain his brain in this type of moments. And that was my final post in this thread.

:hug:

NicoFan
11-18-2005, 04:45 PM
OMG ppl STOP!!!!!
you suck..

I know how you feel Alonso. :hug:

Life Lesson #1 - Just ignore the assholes of the world. I know its hard to do ... there are so many of them. ;)

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 04:50 PM
I think Gonzalez's fans should not be so tragic... It's undeniable he has some mental problems (as Coria does, as Gaudio does, as Safin does, as Nalbandian does to a greater or smaller degree). Apart from Federer, Nadal and Hewitt, most players have some mental problems in key moments. It's not easy to close matches, players are subjetct to extreme pression. . But Gonzales is a consistent top 20 player in the world (with a top ten potential if he hires a good coach).

adee-gee
I prefer Massu bashing its more fun. I like Gonzo :sad:

Gimme a hug Alonso :hug:

lau
Am I allowed to say that this thread was bumped by a Gonzalez fan? ;)

adee-gee
11-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Am I allowed to say that this thread was bumped by a Gonzalez fan? ;)
No :p

RonE
11-18-2005, 04:54 PM
I don't think it's fair to call Gonzalez braindead.

He goes for unconventional shots at times but he just couldn't overcome the self doubt of never having beaten Gaston.

lau
11-18-2005, 04:55 PM
No :p
Sorry for that :o
(This is the kind of thread a fan should never bump) :p ;)

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 05:00 PM
OMG ppl STOP!!!!!
you suck..

I hate the weasel hunt thread... But one must get used to it...

adee-gee
11-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Sorry for that :o
(This is the kind of thread a fan should never bump) :p ;)
We need to find more amusing threads to bump, GM is a snorefest at the moment :zzz:

*Viva Chile*
11-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Even though I don't like Gonzalez for his off-court behaivour (he talks too much for my personal taste) I think his fans should not be so tragic... It's undeniable he has some mental problems (as Coria does, as Gaudio does, as Safin does, as Nalbandian does to a greater or smaller degree). Apart from Federer, Nadal and Hewitt, most players have some mental problems in key moments. It's not easy to close matches, players are subjetct to extreme pression. . But Gonzales is a consistent top 20 player in the world (with a top ten potential if he hires a good coach).
I always complain about your comments Julio. But I have to say is a good pleasure to discuss with you. Gonzo really didn't talk so frecuently to the press, so I don't think 'he talks too much' like as you said. Maybe he is the kind of person who is less talking but when he pronnounced, he is polemic for some person.

And I hope this was my last post in this thread.

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
I always complain about your comments Julio. But I have to say is a good pleasure to discuss with you. Gonzo really didn't talk so frecuently to the press, so I don't think 'he talks too much' like as you said. Maybe he is the kind of person who is less talking but when he pronnounced, he is polemic for some person.

And I hope this was my last post in this thread.

Maybe my comment was off-topic and unnecessary this time. Sorry.

*Viva Chile*
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Maybe my comment was off-topic and unnecessary this time. Sorry.
;)

Action Jackson
11-18-2005, 05:07 PM
We need to find more amusing threads to bump, GM is a snorefest at the moment :zzz:

Amusing threads in GM stop taking the piss.

As for Gonzo being braindead, well of course it's easy to say that cause he lost a match he should have won, but it seems that one vital thing has been missed, he only had 4 unforced errors in the 1st set, go watch Verdasco, Horna or Acasuso (players I like) if you want to see players with mental problems.

Gonzalez has had his best year overall, yet still not good enough.

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Amusing threads in GM stop taking the piss.

As for Gonzo being braindead, well of course it's easy to say that cause he lost a match he should have won, but it seems that one vital thing has been missed, he only had 4 unforced errors in the 1st set, go watch Verdasco, Horna or Acasuso (players I like) if you want to see players with mental problems.

Gonzalez has had his best year overall, yet still not good enough.

You could add PHM.....

Action Jackson
11-18-2005, 05:13 PM
You could add PHM.....

He has his own GM thread with friends. :)

celia
11-18-2005, 05:24 PM
i don't think Gonzo choked. i think he played the way he always plays which is to hit big on every shot and go for broke. he has no lower gears. and when he tries -- like his attempt at a drop shot towards the end of the third set -- he failed miserbaly. but to say that he choked is terribly unfair IMO.

adee-gee
11-18-2005, 05:31 PM
You could add PHM.....
Leave poor Paulo alone :(

http://yelims5.free.fr/Violence/Violence34.gif

DrJules
11-18-2005, 06:02 PM
He does on a week by week basis play more sensibly than he used to. He is making some progress on the mental side, but still has a long way to go.

Julio1974
11-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Leave poor Paulo alone :(

http://yelims5.free.fr/Violence/Violence34.gif

I like Paulo too!

adee-gee
11-18-2005, 06:20 PM
I like Paulo too!
I know, I was just kidding http://yelims1.free.fr/Amour/Amour35.gif

TheBoiledEgg
11-18-2005, 07:55 PM
today he had the mother of all brainfarts :retard: :help:

Lee
11-18-2005, 10:52 PM
i started feeling badly for Gonzo when Pat and Cliff started ragging on him and predicting his bad play. the worst point was when he was down break-point in the last set and went for the second serve ace. and as he was about to serve, Cliff predicted "watch him go for the ace". and sure enough he did -- and missed by a mile. i felt bad for the dude.

plus his coach was openy coaching him. they caught him on camera doing it. but Gonzo lost anyway. it was just not his day. there was too much on the line for him to play so carelessly.

PMac made the prediction.

almouchie
11-18-2005, 10:55 PM
its such a bad draw that any1 & every1 can either play great or just pure bad. Peurta, gaudio, coria,gonzales all playing eratic

celia
11-18-2005, 10:57 PM
PMac made the prediction.
are you sure? i could have sworn it was Cliff. bottom line tho - they were both ragging badly on the poor guy.

Lee
11-18-2005, 11:09 PM
are you sure? i could have sworn it was Cliff. bottom line tho - they were both ragging badly on the poor guy.

I just watch it as ESPN was showing the match again. I have it taped too so I can go through it again. ;)

Yes, PMac said he's going for the ace (in a tone asking Cliffy) and Cliffy answered of course and boom, the ball was out by a mile.

celia
03-27-2006, 07:45 AM
today he had the mother of all brainfarts :retard: :help:
well said. :mad:

Action Jackson
05-15-2006, 06:01 AM
The alleged braindead one has made it to the top 10 and has made the semis in Monte Carlo and the quarter finals in Rome and lost to the 2 top players.

The problem is if Gonzalez played too conservatively, then he wouldn't be Gonzo, but I mean for a guy that's braindead on court. He tried to play more tactically against Nadal, but he didn't serve well enough and it cost him.

Verkerk said "I also want to congratulate Fernando on his week here. I'm really jealous of his forehand, I'm going to watch his next matches and try and copy it."

zicofirol
05-15-2006, 06:20 AM
Verkerk said "I also want to congratulate Fernando on his week here. I'm really jealous of his forehand, I'm going to watch his next matches and try and copy it."

Yeah, I was there in Amersfoort when he said it :D That match was very frustrating to watch, Gonzalez was 0-40 up at 2-1 and then 40-0 at 2-2 in the 3rd set and literally gave those games away by just hitting retarded shots. It was a good game though.

Gonzalez just got (I will murder his name now so be adviced) stepanfaski or something like that lol to coahc him, anyway Im not sure how much of a tactical coach he is or how good he is I personally wanted Gonzalez to get Gilbert, everytime I heard Gilbert commenting it seemed he watned to yell at Gonzalez for being such a moron.

Action Jackson
05-15-2006, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I was there in Amersfoort when he said it :D That match was very frustrating to watch, Gonzalez was 0-40 up at 2-1 and then 40-0 at 2-2 in the 3rd set and literally gave those games away by just hitting retarded shots. It was a good game though.

Verkerk can play on the stuff, but that is the thing about Gonzo, he can spectacular at times and he can be very erratic. That match could have gone either way.

Gonzalez just got (I will murder his name now so be adviced) stepanfaski or something like that lol to coahc him, anyway Im not sure how much of a tactical coach he is or how good he is I personally wanted Gonzalez to get Gilbert, everytime I heard Gilbert commenting it seemed he watned to yell at Gonzalez for being such a moron.

Stefanki well he would try and stifle the personality and that is something that won't work. He doesn't have a coach at the moment and that's OK, but he will have one soon enough.

This whole Gilbert bandwagon thing is a bit much, he has never developed a player at a younger stage. He only comes in when everyone else has done the main work and he rides off the coattails of that.

Gonzalez can play tactically, it's just infrequent when he does it. I mean when he serves, he doesn't just serve bombs and the forehand is quite a safe shot relatively speeaking, but Gilbert is not the answer.

Ivanatis
05-15-2006, 06:33 AM
aw. just got a shock reading this headline (for the first time) at the main menu

ZurdoMagico
05-15-2006, 06:35 AM
federer express is mad because fernando did some "things" whith his sister's mouth.... you know.

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 02:15 AM
I think that is mean.

FelipeMIA89
10-22-2006, 02:22 AM
WOW a thread about Gonzalez not being tactical... umm hes winning the matches and thats what counts..

rofe
10-22-2006, 04:48 AM
I think that is mean.

Why are you bumping old posts? Don't you get enough of a kick by starting new ones everyday? :rolleyes:

That poster probably doesn't even post anymore.

bad gambler
10-22-2006, 04:49 AM
I think that is mean.

Why are you searching through old meaningless threads and bumping them? :confused:

+alonso
10-22-2006, 04:54 AM
I smell something bad!

Damn!

+alonso
10-22-2006, 04:54 AM
Close the thread asap Prabu! :lol:

Just Cause
10-22-2006, 06:30 AM
Why are you searching through old meaningless threads and bumping them? :confused:

I only bump threads when I find them meaningful.
I dont want to start too many threads in one day.
==> I dont think Gonzalez plays the style I like either, so I just went searching for teh most popular and relevent thread on that.

Fed-Express
10-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I cannont POSSIBLY tell you how relieved I am that federer express is gone ;)

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 11:17 AM
WOW!! Gonzalez non tactical??? Did u see the way he played against berdych yesterday?:eek: Practically every point looked like it was planned out!

Action Jackson
10-22-2006, 11:30 AM
WOW!! Gonzalez non tactical??? Did u see the way he played against berdych yesterday?:eek: Practically every point looked like it was planned out!

Please look at the date of the first post.

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Please look at the date of the first post.

sorry ive never posted here

Action Jackson
10-22-2006, 11:44 AM
sorry ive never posted here

It will just explain the context better and it's an old thread and the date explains that.

Allstar
10-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Stefanki has done a great job taming the animal. The old tactic of 'im losing im just going to try and hit it even harder' was usually the wrong thing to do and whilst there are still moments of his old self (start of 3rd set vs Djok) he seems to have changed mentally.

FluffyYellowBall
10-22-2006, 11:55 AM
It will just explain the context better and it's an old thread and the date explains that.

I know! U didnt need to explain that! I just apologfized for posting in an old thread ;)

Action Jackson
10-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Stefanki has done a great job taming the animal. The old tactic of 'im losing im just going to try and hit it even harder' was usually the wrong thing to do and whilst there are still moments of his old self (start of 3rd set vs Djok) he seems to have changed mentally.

So far it has worked and there are less manic moments, but they will never leave Gonzalez completely. It's just he is using his brains more often than before, it will be interesting to see how he plays today.

NicoFan
10-22-2006, 01:24 PM

Stefanki has done a great job. I watched him with Fernando a lot this summer in practices. Was enjoyable to see what drills Larry was doing with Fernando. And they were tough hard practices too.

But...

I think that Fernando's change in attitude has a lot to do with his game. I think he always had the game but refused to change for a long long time.

Also Horacio de la Pena has to be given a lot of the credit too. A lot of these changes took place before Fernando let him go. Fernando started to change his tactics back in 2005.

Of course, I think the coaching change was good - Fernando needed a new outlook.

tangerine_dream
10-23-2006, 10:28 PM
:wavey:

Hard-Hitting Gonzalez No Longer a One-Trick Pony
URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/42042
BY TOM PERROTTA
NYSun
October 23, 2006

Before this year, Fernando Gonzalez was a novelty on the professional tennis tour. Every tournament, the Chilean could be counted on for a few victories, lots of grunts and groans, and many, many tennis balls struck at speeds one might think unreachable without the aid of an aluminum baseball bat.

Gonzalez still strikes his forehand as powerfully as anyone in the world, but these days he does much more. Since he began working with Larry Stefanki — the former coach of Marcelo Rios, Yevgeny Kafelnikov, and John McEnroe — this spring, Gonzalez has become a more patient player. He worries less about hitting backhands, his weaker stroke, and slices quite effectively. His serve, predictably flat and hard in the past, now often slices and kicks, preventing his opponents from finding a rhythm.Most impressive of all, he often sneaks forward for a volley.

For Gonzalez, Stefanki could not have come along at a better time. At 26 years old, the Chilean could have played four or five more years on the tour as a one-trick pony, perhaps adding a few titles to his current total of seven. He would have almost no chance, though, of competing at the most prestigious tournaments, as he has done consistently this year (he has reached three semifinals at Masters events, and one final, under Stefanki's tutelage).

Yesterday, the new Gonzalez put on a fine display for a set against Roger Federer in the final of the Madrid Masters, the first Masters final of Gonzalez's career. A day earlier, he dumped Tomas Berdych, the 6-foot-5 Czech who plays like the old Gonzalez: all power, no panache. Berdych's slugging worked well enough against Rafael Nadal, whose habit of retreating five feet behind the baseline gave Berdych too much time to unleash his strokes, which are unwieldy at times. Gonzalez played him close and upset his timing, winning 6–3, 6–1.

Federer arrived in the final after a 6–4, 6–0 drubbing of David Nalbandian (more on the disappointing, and increasingly annoying, Nalbandian below). He started slowly yesterday, however, and neither player faced a break point until Federer converted his second one to win the set 7–5 (Gonzalez saved the first with a fine volley as Federer gave his fans a scare when he rolled over on his right ankle; he did not sustain an injury).

A 7–5 set: that was the good news for Gonzalez. The bad news? Federer remains miles and miles ahead of him. The world no. 1 won the last 11 games of the match, finishing off his 10th title of the year by the score of 7–5, 6–1, 6–0. He is the first man to win 10 titles in a season for three consecutive years.

While Federer was near flawless in the final two sets yesterday (surprise, surprise), Gonzalez played with little confidence and seemed to believe that he was not fit enough, physically or mentally, to recover (he also received treatment for an arm injury). Stefanki will undoubtedly be upset by a score that should not have been so lopsided. His pupil now has an outside chance of qualifying for the season-ending Masters Cup, despite not having won a title this season. His performance last week put him in ninth place, 33 points behind Tommy Robredo and 34 behind James Blake, who has withdrawn from this week's tournament in Basel, Switzerland (Federer's home town) because of tonsillitis. Gonzalez is the defending champion in Basel (Federer injured his ankle last year and did not play); if he wins again, he would collect 40 points. Another 100 points are up for grabs at the Paris Masters the following week.

If the final of this event lacked drama, the rest of the week did not. Several top players, including Nadal, Ivan Ljubicic, Blake, and Andy Roddick, were upset. Nadal told the Spanish press that Berdych was "stupid" for asking the partisan crowd to quiet down (that's what home fans are for, Nadal said). More entertaining still, Nalbandian fought off two near upsets against Marat Safin and Tim Henman and continued his recent habit of running his mouth.

The match against Henman included several questionable calls (it was not played on a court with instant replay). On one, a Nalbandian first serve that was called out, Nalbandian asked Henman if he thought the ball was good (yes) and if he would agree to replay the point (no).The score was 5–5,15–30, in the third set, and an angry Nalbandian rose to the occasion and won, saving two break points in that game. But he stooped low after the match, saying that Henman's reputation as an honorable sportsman was bogus, and calling the Brit "the worst rubbish."

Please. Professional tennis is played by the calls made on court, and no player should be expected to overturn a bad call on his own (Roddick did just that last year in a more comfortable situation — up triple match point — and the tennis Gods taught him a lesson by allowing Fernando Verdasco to score an improbable victory). It wasn't unsporting for Henman to say no; it was unsporting for Nalbandian to ask for a favor in the heat of a close match.

Nalbandian talked a lot of trash during the Davis Cup semifinal against Australia, and he backed it up. Considering the year he's having, however, he's in no position to brag. Many believed the Argentine would at last blossom this season after he won the Masters Cup last year in five sets over Federer. Instead, he failed to deliver in the semifinals of two Grand Slams this year (he lost in the second and third rounds of the other two) and he remains out of shape (observe his potbelly).

Gonzalez, if he qualifies for the Masters, would be the perfect player to take Nalbandian down a peg before Argentina travels to Russia for the Davis Cup final. Here's hoping his right arm is not too tired for Basel.

GlennMirnyi
10-24-2006, 01:29 AM

:haha: the worst about that is that it's true.

revolution
10-24-2006, 01:34 AM
The thread starter was quite a cockhead, the lack of rep option proves this...but he's kinda right.

Sparko1030
10-24-2006, 01:46 AM
:yeah: Thanks for posting the article tangerine dream. Its nice to see that its being recognized that Fernando has changed his game and its paying off.

*Viva Chile*
10-24-2006, 01:50 AM
:haha: the worst about that is that it's true.

I still think that you remained in the past :o

zine56
10-24-2006, 01:53 AM
thank god i have GlennMirnyi on my Ignore List and i can't see his hate posts :o...

GlennMirnyi
10-24-2006, 01:54 AM
I still think that you remained in the past :o

The guy gets to a final to take a 6/1 6/0 beating? C'mon, he can do better than that.

*Viva Chile*
10-24-2006, 01:57 AM
The guy gets to a final to take a 6/1 6/0 beating? C'mon, he can do better than that.

Agree, of course he can do better than that, Feña was only a shadow of who was he in the past 2 weeks in that 2nd and 3rd set. Fed was spectacular and Gonzo still have too much respect for Roger, as he said in his interviews.

GlennMirnyi
10-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Agree, of course he can do better than that, Feña was only a shadow of who was he in the past 2 weeks in that 2nd and 3rd set. Fed was spectacular and Gonzo still have too much respect for Roger, as he said in his interviews.

I know he's playing a lot smarter, but you can't defeat guys like Berdych and Djokovic to take a 6/1 6/0 beating... ;)

tangerine_dream
10-24-2006, 05:54 PM
:yeah: Thanks for posting the article tangerine dream. Its nice to see that its being recognized that Fernando has changed his game and its paying off.
Absolutely. I used to call him a meathead too (back when he really played like one) but I can clearly see that is no longer the case the with him and I have nothing but admiration for the changes and improvements that he's made to his game and his re-dedication to physical fitness (he's lost a lot of weight).

I admire any player who can change up their game and be successful at it; not many players are willing to do it. Most are like, "I'm just going to play my game and win or lose on that." I think that kind of attitude will put most players on the hamster wheel going nowhere.

krakenzero
10-24-2006, 08:09 PM
Gonzo's "Play of the Week":

Viña del Mar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJBPLYywyYA
Toronto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3JUUrWXJAg
Cincinnati: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0XBLSNPVCg
Madrid 2005: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4z-nFKmjv4

:eek: :eek:

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 04:48 PM

Gonzo has come a long way in a short time!

*Viva Chile*
01-24-2007, 04:51 PM
a big LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL and :ras: to this thread nowadays :haha:

Thanks god that the idiot who create it disappear forever from this forum :D

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM
a big LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL and :ras: to this thread nowadays :haha:

Thanks god that the idiot who create it disappear forever from this forum :D

Some things change....

And some things don't.

*Viva Chile*
01-24-2007, 04:54 PM
This thread is past, admins should close it ;)

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
This thread is past, admins should close it ;)

Lol. So you think his days of playing like a :retard: are completely behind him?

We cannot change our basic nature....

Adapted from words in the Book of Jeremiah: 'Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?'

Jimnik
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
That's harsh. If we bumped up every thread where people got it wrong then half of MTF would be embarrassed.

FluffyYellowBall
01-24-2007, 05:06 PM
That's harsh. If we bumped up every thread where people got it wrong then half of MTF would be embarrassed.
yea but just coz he doesnt have a fancy game plane so hes gonna lose.
Nothing embarassing about it!

*Viva Chile*
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
Lol. So you think his days of playing like a :retard: are completely behind him?

We cannot change our basic nature....

Adapted from words in the Book of Jeremiah: 'Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?'

Maybe the basic nature can't change, but the human being is called for evolution. He has learned so much along this years and mature in all sides of him... sportingly, emotively, the complete work has shown results this days and us, our fans understand him and we were how he has progressed all this time. So if your intention for resucitate this thread is only for bashing, shame for you. I don't believe you know more Feña than me, but at least I was following his career since he was junior and take care that he improved a lot since the time this thread was created.

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Maybe the basic nature can't change, but the human being is called for evolution. He has learned so much along this years and mature in all sides of him... sportingly, emotively, the complete work has shown results this days and us, our fans understand him and we were how he has progressed all this time. So if your intention for resucitate this thread is only for bashing, shame for you. I don't believe you know more Feña than me, but at least I was following his career since he was junior and take care that he improved a lot since the time this thread was created.

If I was bashing him, why would I have just said in another thread that I will always love him. :confused:

AND I said in that same thread that he was better than Nadal on this surface, prior to their match!

*Viva Chile*
01-24-2007, 05:13 PM
If I was bashing him, why would I have just said in another thread that I will always love him. :confused:

AND I said in that same thread that he was better than Nadal on this surface, prior to their match!

sorry for misunderstanding you... :hug:

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 05:21 PM
sorry for misunderstanding you... :hug:

Better on rebound ace than Nadal presently...

Federer
Roddick
Davydenko
Gonzalez
Blake

So how does losing to an out-of-sorts Nadal put Murray ahead of these guys?

Thats ok. I am sure it will happen less now, but am just saying that Fernando will always have brain-freeze moments and play some silly matches. And I hope he does...it's part of the charm.

Sjengster
01-24-2007, 05:34 PM
betterthanhenman and federer express are kindred spirits, if I can put it like that.

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 05:35 PM
betterthanhenman and federer express are kindred spirits, if I can put it like that.

Appreciating your turn of phrase.

Your verbiage may not be to everyone's liking, but it's fine by me.

Sjengster
01-24-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, we did have that interesting discussion about Dr. Johnson, Murraymania and Paolo Lorenzi's Oil on the eve of the US Open one year.

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Well, we did have that interesting discussion about Dr. Johnson, Murraymania and Paolo Lorenzi's Oil on the eve of the US Open one year.

You have the memory of a sea lion!!

Sjengster
01-24-2007, 05:51 PM
If so then only a memory of the salient points, in much the same way a sea lion recalls the jagged rocky outcrops in an otherwise smooth ocean vista. Ahem.

betterthanhenman
01-24-2007, 05:52 PM
If so then only a memory of the salient points, in much the same way a sea lion recalls the jagged rocky outcrops in an otherwise smooth ocean vista. Ahem.

Action Jackson
05-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Hahaha

Well, not sure if he is braindead tactically, he is just having problems performing well in finals.

Forehander
05-14-2007, 06:14 AM
I've seen someone as braindead as he is or possibly much worst. He's the world known Juan Carlos Ferrero, especially in the finals of US open when he got absolutely demolished by Roddick when he turned number one in the world lol.

Merton
05-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Very interesting thread, Gonzalez has certainly come a long way since early 2005.

Action Jackson
05-14-2007, 06:54 AM
For sure, he left the coach who always sounded like he swallowed 1kg of helium and gone onto big Larry.

Merton
05-14-2007, 06:58 AM
The question is whether he can go even further than he has, to be honest 2 years ago I would say that at best he touches the top-10, so Gonzalez has overachieved already in my eyes, I think it is realistic now for him to make the TMC if he stays healthy, he was already very close last year.

Action Jackson
05-14-2007, 07:00 AM
He has heaps of points to defend in the second half of the season, but if he is not injured and can do well in the Slams, then he should be there.

VolandriFan
05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Nothing.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-14-2007, 11:07 PM
not again...