Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Roddick and Hewitt suffer from the Venus Syndrome?

Asmus
03-16-2005, 03:36 AM
The Venus Syndrome is where a player who is used to dominating is suddenly eclipsed by a player who is marginally better and starts winning all of their big matches. This player remains #2 for awhile, dominating the rest of the field, before gradually losing confidence and trying to retool their game and then before they know it they're losing to everyone. Andre Agassi post-1995 US Open final is another good example. I think Roddick might already be going through this, as evidenced by his recent losses to Hewitt (but perhaps ever since last year's Wimbledon final), particularly at the Masters Cup where he was disastrously trying to come to the net, and it's probably a matter of time before Hewitt goes downhill, as he has now lost three consecutive big finals. This is the answer to the question "is Roddick losing it mentally?"

Dirk
03-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Asmus I don't think Hewitt is suffering from it. He has bounced back and could really mark out his territory as the steady number 2 in the world. I agree with the Roddick part. That Wimbly final loss could have been his Andre USO 95 final loss. I do think the Pim Pim USO qrt did more damage to his ego though.

Smankyou
03-16-2005, 04:14 AM
It's not a syndrome. It's just a matter of a better player (ie. Roger) beating them.

Roddick might fall apart mentally (if his arm doesn't rip off first). But Lleyton's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Auscon
03-16-2005, 04:14 AM
Asmus I don't think Hewitt is suffering from it. He has bounced back and could really mark out his territory as the steady number 2 in the world. I agree with the Roddick part. That Wimbly final loss could have been his Andre USO 95 final loss. I do think the Pim Pim USO qrt did more damage to his ego though.

all of them will go downhill in time, some may fall and then bounce back, but I seriously doubt that neither Roddick nor Lleyton will suffer from the 'venus syndrome'.....definitely not Hewitt.

tennischick
03-16-2005, 04:15 AM
It's not a syndrome. It's just a matter of a better player (ie. Roger) beating them.

Roddick might fall apart mentally (if his arm doesn't rip off first). But Lleyton's not going anywhere anytime soon.
change Roddick to Duck and i agree with you :worship: ;)

nkhera1
03-16-2005, 05:30 AM

Why are people under the assumption that his serve causes so much stress on his arm? I mean it does a little, but not that much more than a normal serve. He just hits the ball as hard as he can, but the technique isn't too bad.

Chloe le Bopper
03-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Hewitt is tough as nails. You could shoot him 10 times and he'd still get back up again. He'll be fine :p

bad gambler
03-16-2005, 07:51 AM
roddick and hewitt will remain in the top 10 for a many years to come

iliketennis
03-16-2005, 08:36 AM
I think that Hewitt is playing as good as he ever has. Roddick will regain confidence if he has a good winning streak.

bad gambler
03-16-2005, 08:45 AM
hewitt is in the best form of his career - simply fed has raised his game 5 fold since the days when hewitt brushed aside all comers

Action Jackson
03-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Hewitt will be near the top for as long as he can keep his speed up, once he loses that bit of acceleration then it'll get much harder for him.

Dirk
03-16-2005, 01:22 PM
Hewitt makes more errors now than he did years ago. He is suffering from the Chang Syndrome. That is when a great defense player changes his game to become more offensive and gradually does worse yet fails to see it. Still he can be a steady number two and win another slam for sure.

Roger-No.1
03-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Hewitt makes more errors now than he did years ago. He is suffering from the Chang Syndrome. That is when a great defense player changes his game to become more offensive and gradually does worse yet fails to see it. Still he can be a steady number two and win another slam for sure.

I agree.

I think Hewitt doesn't belong here, in this thread... Not yet.

Dirk
03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Well Roger no.1 I don't see Marat being consistent enough to be number two although if he wins another slam this year that should insure that. I don't see Andy doing better than Hewitt throughout this year. Hewitt can actually get points during the clay season so that hurts Andy right there. I could see Hewitt as number 2 at the end of this year.

Roger-No.1
03-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Well Roger no.1 I don't see Marat being consistent enough to be number two although if he wins another slam this year that should insure that. I don't see Andy doing better than Hewitt throughout this year. Hewitt can actually get points during the clay season so that hurts Andy right there. I could see Hewitt as number 2 at the end of this year.
Yeah, I think Hewitt will be No. 2. We'll see...

alfonsojose
03-16-2005, 05:13 PM
Andy will win RG, beating Coria 6-2,6-4,6-1

Black Adam
03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
If that ever happened I would have the biggest party ever :) :yeah:

Asmus
03-16-2005, 05:18 PM

Right... and he'll beat Federer in four sets in the semis! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

alfonsojose
03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Right... and he'll beat Federer in four sets in the semis! :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:
2-6,6-2,7-6(0),6-1 :o

BlackSilver
03-16-2005, 06:11 PM

I don't think that really matter that Hewitt isn't as regular as he was in past.
He is surely a better offensive player and a much better server. Both things compensated this and now he is a better player than he ever was. Besides this, probably in the next 2-3 years Hewitt will start to lose his muscular explosion and physical resistance and will need other tricks if he wants to continue in the top 10

mangoes
03-16-2005, 06:17 PM
I don't see Hewitt going anywhere, I see Hewitt retaining his No. 2 status for a while. I don't think Hewitt is suffering from the anything. Andy on the other hand, something is going on with him. Marat, while a top 5 player, will not remove Hewitt from the No. 2 seat. Hewitt is mentally stronger than Marat.

heya
03-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Hewitt was destroyed in the French Open, so it's not that hard to see Federer losing early once again.

Skyward
03-16-2005, 07:17 PM
If you cut off Hewitt's head, he grows two new ones. Just like that, lol.

hewittfan123
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Hewitt's mental game is different thatn Roddick's... When Roddick breaks down during a match u can really tell. Hewitt usually looks more focused even though he may not be

joske
03-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Roddick might fall apart mentally (if his arm doesn't rip off first)

:lol:

neways I don't think this is sth like a law in the science of tennis... some players stay on top, some don't that's just the way of the world.. people always make statistics and stuff but what do they really mean there'll always be exceptions to the rules people make up

Havok
03-17-2005, 01:20 AM
Venus is sucking for the most part now because her technique is awful and she has absolutely zero confidence. I don't think a whole lot of it lingered over her owning the field and then suddenly being #2. I highly doubt Hewitt and Roddick will follow her path in being extremely pathetic in Slams, taking them what 18-20 months in between top 10 wins, as Venus has, and being miserable when it counts.