Tips on playing a scrapper? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tips on playing a scrapper?

Sinnet
03-16-2005, 02:21 AM
We've all played them... they're the annoying buggers that aren't necessarily crafty or all-around skilled players, but they just get everything back, and with enough pace that forces you to play yet another shot.

I have a match coming up next week against a scrapper, and I'm looking for that strategy to beat him. I've already talked to a friend who plays tennis, and she recommended taking some of the pace off and going for sheer control and painting the lines. She said I have to be extremely patient, and not become too ancy to end the point, because chances are that's when I'll make the error.

Would you all agree? The kid's a pretty good player, but skill-wise I think I'm higher than him, an dI think I can pull this win off.

Domino
03-16-2005, 02:24 AM
Slice the ball low and short, force him to hit a penetrating shot, which he most likely wont, and take advantage of the reply he gives by taking it early before he can retreat back to the baseline. Mix this up with dropshots to actually bring him in and pass him and/or hit the ball right at him. Throw in a few lobs, and the match is yours. Scrappers lose their winning aspect when forced forward.

Paialii
03-16-2005, 02:41 AM
Slice the ball low and short, force him to hit a penetrating shot, which he most likely wont, and take advantage of the reply he gives by taking it early before he can retreat back to the baseline. Mix this up with dropshots to actually bring him in and pass him and/or hit the ball right at him. Throw in a few lobs, and the match is yours. Scrappers lose their winning aspect when forced forward.

I agree with pretty much everything that was said. Scrappers feed off of your pace and generally they're completely comfortable having to move side to side, but moving from back to front to perhaps back again may not be as smooth of a transition.

Slice is one of the best methods for throwing off another player's timing and rhythm. Jennifer Capriati used her one-handed slice against Serena Williams at the 04 US Open Quarters and it worked EXTREMELY effectively. There were a few times that Serena slapped the slice ball into the very bottom of the net or hit it twenty feet out. Of course, you should only use the slice if it's a shot you've developed well enough that you feel comfortable using.

Another funny (and somewhat cheap) shot is the random topsin lob shot. I was playing a girl last week that would smother anything in her strike zone, so I decided to keep the ball low (using slice) for one shot, and then every now and then throwing in a high topsin ball. She missed every single topsin shot I threw in there.

You seem like you know this "kid" pretty well. Think about his strengths and his weaknesses, and play to your advantage.

As for the advice your friend gave you, it's pretty good too. Patience is a huge part in playing a scrapper, because they usually don't give up a lot of errors and just get the ball back in play. When you take that against someone who wants to hit the ball hard and score winners off every shot, chances are the big-hitter is going to have more errors. It's whether or not they can hit more winners than errors that counts.

Lastly, be smart out there! Should you be down, analyze your game and what you've been doing and make the adjustment. I see too many players out there that blame their losing on them just "playing poorly," when 9/10 times its just poor planning and tactics. Stick to your weapons. If you truly do have better all-around skill, use it and you should beat him. Good luck! :)

nkhera1
03-16-2005, 03:20 AM
Does he have a glaring weakness such as maybe a not so good forehand or backhand or something like that. When i play some players i will just keep hitting it to their weakspot.

Prizeidiot
03-16-2005, 06:12 AM
Also try taking to the net after a forcing shot. If you've got them on the run, move in. Then they can't just float it back and recover, they're going to have to really do something with the ball. It puts them out of their comfort zone, and also, no one's fast enough to recover if you get an easy volley.

bad gambler
03-16-2005, 06:13 AM
blast them off the court with power

El Legenda
03-16-2005, 06:16 AM

You should told that to Pim Pim vs Santoro

bad gambler
03-16-2005, 06:17 AM
You should told that to Pim Pim vs Santoro

santoro is hardly someone you would call a scrapper

he is the slice and dice man

Peoples
03-16-2005, 10:07 AM
It's the typical wrong-tactic that people use against them :D

ManBoy
03-16-2005, 11:33 AM
Lot of good advice. When I play people like this, I try to imagine that the match is one long drill. Imagine that every shot he hits is a feed. It's super important that you play the ball and not the push. Pick targets and calmly hit them with as much power as you can spare without losing consistency. Tell yourself, "if he gets this one, too, then good... because he's running like a damn fool..." and then hit another ball to the other corner.

I used to play a Japanese guy in NYC that would beat players way more skilled than him because he'd just hit these top spin loopers all day long. The thing about this guy is he couldn't necessarily generate pace on passing shots, so if I opted to rush the net, I knew it was about, like above, staying calm, not letting his consistency panic me, and simply hitting the volley into the open court.

More than against regular players, playing a human wall is a mental game. Warm up wisely. Get into the mind set of drilling, and take a lot of overheads. Also, serve to their weaker side relentlessly and don't double fault. I know you never want to double fault but I've noticed that players like you're describing just LOVE it when people double fault, because they know that their strength is dissolving the mental resistance of the other player. Good luck.

bad gambler
03-16-2005, 11:34 AM
It's the typical wrong-tactic that people use against them :D

:p

now i know where i'm going wrong

Angle Queen
03-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Also try taking to the net after a forcing shot. If you've got them on the run, move in. Then they can't just float it back and recover, they're going to have to really do something with the ball. It puts them out of their comfort zone, and also, no one's fast enough to recover if you get an easy volley.Scrapper here. My teammates hate to practice (much less play) against me. Prizeidiot makes an excellent point. I sometimes get just a little too comfy back at baseline and totally miss them coming to net. By then, it's usually too late for me to really do something with it.

Also, another highly effective shot against someone who moves well...if you're controlling their movement...is to hit behind them. I move pretty well side-to-side and even back-to-front, but I can get burned if I over-anticipate where they're going with their ball (either the approach itself or the volley).

And never be afraid to throw in a little junk. Mix up the pace and placement of both your servers and groundstrokes.

Good Luck!

name_change
03-16-2005, 06:32 PM
well, i play scrappers all the time and it annoys me all the time. i once played this girl and she was really speedy. of course another distraction were a few boys watching were like "wow, this girl is fast!" and i was like wtf? i'm fast and no guys ever say that. "its usually something like nice legs vero" or something like that. anyway, all that pissed off energy didnt help when i tried hitting hard cuz she still got to every ball.and the worst part was that she hit it deep so it was hard to control. she won the first 6-3 and i figured out how to beat her in the 2nd. i played her game. i some loopy shots really deep and just mixed it up and she came up with the errors. i still lost 7-5 but that was only because i reverted back to my own style of playing.

anyway, the lesson? patience.