Larri Passos is not more Guga's coach !!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Larri Passos is not more Guga's coach !!!!!

brazuca5copas
03-14-2005, 09:16 PM
I can't believe, but it's true. I just watched on tv. :confused: :eek: :bigcry:

Tytta!.
03-14-2005, 09:18 PM
I just posted it in the other thread... I'm as shocked as you are :crying2: :eek:

brazuca5copas
03-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Someone traslate , please !

14/03/2005 - 18h04
Guga anuncia fim da parceria de 15 anos com Larri Passos
Da Redação
Em São Paulo

O tenista Gustavo Kuerten anunciou nesta segunda-feira o fim da parceria com o técnico Larri Passos, que o acompanha desde o início da carreira. Em nota oficial divulgada por sua assessoria de imprensa, o jogador justifica a decisão como uma "vontade de ter uma experiência diferente".

"Foram 15 anos de muitas conquistas no circuito e só tenho a agradecer por ter tido o Larri ao meu lado. Mas depois de todo esse tempo, senti a vontade de ter uma experiência diferente e viajar sem técnico", disse Guga na nota oficial.

Ao lado de Larri, Guga ganhou 20 títulos no circuito internacional, entre eles o tricampeonato de Roland Garros e a Copa do Mundo, em Lisboa. O brasileiro também liderou o ranking da ATP (Associação dos Tenistas Profissionais) por 43 semanas.

"Com certeza no começo vou sentir muito a falta do Larri, vai ser uma coisa nova. Mas mesmo não tendo ele ao meu lado no dia a dia, tudo o que eu fizer vai ter a mão do Larri, pois foi ele quem me descobriu e me fez jogador. E apesar de não termos mais um relacionamento profissional, o carinho e a amizade vão existir sempre, porque o Larri é como um pai para mim. Tomara que a gente continue a ter sucesso, cada um no seu caminho", disse Guga.

"Foram 15 anos maravilhosos juntos. Para mim o tênis é uma religião e vou continuar trabalhando com tênis competitivo. Aceitei a decisão do Guga e acho que ele está maduro para seguir o próprio caminho", completou Larri.

Atual número 86 do mundo, Guga continua um processo de recuperação da cirurgia sofrida no quadril no ano passado. O tenista voltará a jogar no Torneio de Valência, na Espanha, no mês que vem.

brazuca5copas
03-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I just posted it in the other thread... I'm as shocked as you are :crying2: :eek:

Yes, I'm shocked !!!!!!! I can't understand why ... :sad:

Tytta!.
03-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Uh...

Guga said he needs new experiences, that he'll miss Larri in the beginning but that he's like a dad for him and that he wishes all the best for him... Larri said Guga's mature enough to make this decision and that he'll keep working with tennis...

I'm still too shocked :crying2:

Lee
03-14-2005, 09:30 PM
This is so unbelievable!

Good luck Guga and Larri!

Tytta!.
03-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm so shocked cos like, I NEVER EVER thought that would happen if that makes sense :shrug:

blosson
03-14-2005, 09:34 PM
WOW after 15 years! Is Guga coming to RG with no coach a la Roger?

Cris
03-14-2005, 09:44 PM
:sad: I'm shocked.
The commentator said Guga will travel without a coach. To be honest, I can't see anyone replacing Larri. Anyway, wish all the best to both!

Billabong
03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm also very very shocked by these news:eek: don't know what to think... is it good or not??

Tytta!.
03-14-2005, 09:49 PM
I agree, Cris!

A la Roger blosson :lol: Well if he plays as good as him that's great ;)

BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH!!!

Cute Babi
03-14-2005, 11:29 PM
I'm so socked ... I just got home and saw the news ....

Just want to wish GUGA GOOD LUCK

tall_one
03-15-2005, 12:10 AM
wow i did not see that coming, i hope this is a good thing http://www.freegaia.com/smileys/etonnes/etonnes6.gif
http://www.freegaia.com/smileys/etonnes/etonnes3.gif

brazuca5copas
03-15-2005, 12:39 AM
from atptennis.com

NEWS
March 14, 2005
Kuerten and Long Time Coach Part Ways

Former World No. 1 Gustavo Kuerten has announced that he and his long time coach Larri Passos will no longer work together.

The 15-year relationship garnered the Brazilian three Roland Garros titles, five ATP Masters Series shields and the 2000 Tennis Masters Cup Lisbon title.

Kuerten will travel without a coach and for the moment has no intention of replacing his long time friend and mentor. He will be traveling without a coach to Valencia – his first tournament back after a six-month injury layoff - Rome, Hamburg and Roland Garros.

Wojtek
03-15-2005, 07:08 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

but i hope he knows what he is doing

star
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM
This is very sad news, and of course I wonder what it is all about.

I've been in the midst of the tournament, and didn't even hear about it until just now.

amethyst
03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
:eek: I just read it on the atp site and I´m still shocked. I really didn´t exspect this to happen. And to split at this point of Guga´s career seems rather strange to me.

brazuca5copas
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Guga Passes On Passos

By Tennis Week
03/15/2005

Bouncing to the beat of the drums Brazilian fans bang on during his matches, Gustavo Kuerten has long been a virtuoso performer who inspires collaboration from accompanists. But the former No. 1 will return to tournament tennis as a soloist next month.

The 28-year-old Kuerten announced he will travel the ATP Tour without coach Larri Passos, concluding a 15-year partnership that saw Kuerten claim 20 tournament titles, including three Roland Garros crowns, the Tennis Masters Cup championship in Lisbon and secure the top spot which he held 43 weeks.

Thanking Passos for his contributions to his career and life, Kuerten said he wants "a new experience traveling without a coach.''

"We had 15 years of many victories and accomplishments on the tour, and all I have to do is thank Larri for being on my side," Kuerten said in a statement. "But after all this time, I felt like having a new experience and traveling without a coach. For sure it will be tough in the beginning and I will miss Larri, it will be something new for me."

Crediting Passos for his belief and support that helped him rise to the top of tennis, Kuerten said the pair will remain close friends.

An extremely loyal person, Kuerten's support team features family members and close friends. Kuerten's mother, Alice, is president of the Gustavo Kuerten Institute. His older brother, Rafael, helps lead his management staff. His father, Aldo, passed away in 1985 while umpiring a junior match and Passos served as a surrogate father figure to Guga. Kuerten deliberated over his decision for some time before informing Passos of his desire to travel alone.

"But even not having him by my side, on the day-to-day life, everything I do will have Larri’s 'hand', because it was him who first believed in me and made me the player that I am," Kuerten said. "And even though we don’t have the professional relationship anymore, the love and friendship we have for each other will remain. He is like a father to me and I hope we both keep succeeding in our careers."

Passos provided a strong supportive emotional presence as coach, friend and mentor. The man whose trademark habit of pointing toward the heavens when Kuerten reached match point said in a joint statement he supports Guga's decision to part company.

"They were 15 wonderful years. I have accepted Guga's decision and I think he is mature enough to follow his own path,'' said Passos, who will continue to run his academy, Larri Passos Tennis Pro, in Santa Catarina as well as his social project, "Kids Happy on Court, Happy at School", while considering his coaching options. "We had 15 wonderful years together. For me tennis is like a religion and I will keep working with competitive tennis. I took Guga’s decision and I think he is mature enough to follow his own path."

The three-time Roland Garros champion plans to return to tournament tennis on April 4th on red clay in Valencia.

Kuerten underwent arthroscopic surgery on his hip on September 21st at the Center of Sports Medicine in Pittsburgh. Bone spurs blocking Kuerten's hip movement were removed and the anterior capsule of the hip was tightened to strengthen the joint’s stability. Dr. Marc Philippon, a member of the surgical team that conducted the procedure, prescribed a rehab program that could span four to six months.

"The surgery was successful. We were able to remove all the injuries that were causing pain and blocking the movement," said Dr. Philippon said at the time.

Kuerten has undergone two hip procedures in the past two and a half years.

On May 26th, 2002, Kuerten underwent arthroscopic hip surgery in Nashville and returned to tournament tennis two months later. Though he went on to win his first career title in Brazil on hard court in September of 2002, the man many players regard as the premier clay-court player of his generation has not surpassed the quarterfinals in nine Grand Slam events since his surgery.

He has won three tournament titles — Auckland and St. Petersburg in 2003 and his second career Costa Do Sauipe championship last year — in the past two years and was runner-up to Lleyton Hewitt in the 2003 Indian Wells final.

His best Grand Slam result since his initial surgery came last spring when the charismatic Kuerten beat top-ranked Roger Federer en route to the Roland Garros quarterfinals where he suffered a 2-6, 6-3, 4-6, 6-7(6) setback to David Nalbandian. In the aftermath of that match, Kuerten conceded he was not 100 percent healthy. He has been practicing at home in Florianopolis and hopes to complete the upcoming clay-court season.

Magnus Norman, Kuerten's opponent in the 2000 Roland Garros final, retired after spending recent years struggling with hip problems. While Norman's hip injury is thought to be more severe than Kuerten's, Guga is proceeding with caution and does not want to rush the risk re-injury.

Billabong
03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the article Vanessa:kiss: I understand better now:)

Cydia
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
as all of u,I'm in shocked,how come this happened,I never thought they'll be apart,hope he can show us this is good for him!

sol
03-16-2005, 11:05 AM
I was in shock :eek: last Monday night when I heard the new in Sportcenter. :shrug:

Larry! :sad: :scratch:

Good luck to them!

deflori
03-16-2005, 10:37 PM
iam shocked too,its so a sad news:( Goodbye Larry,hope we cu back on the atp...

Will guga travel alone now,or will he work with a new coach?

Billabong
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Guga wants to travel alone it seems... he knows he'll probably miss Larri a lot at the beginning, but certainly hope to have success à la Rogi;)!

RogiFan88
03-17-2005, 04:57 PM
I already mentioned sth in the GM thread, but I respect Guga's decision and Larri has accepted it and Guga knows what he wants to do and needs to do. All the best to Guga!

Larri will be missed for sure... his smiling fatherly face!

Hmm... perhaps someone else s follow Guga's lead... ;)

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Hmm... perhaps someone else s follow Guga's lead... ;)

Any hint?

Tytta!.
03-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Larri said he wants to coach some french talent and help him to win Roland Garros but he didn't say who :shrug:

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Larri said he wants to coach some french talent and help him to win Roland Garros but he didn't say who :shrug:

Someone mentioned he's Gasquet.

RogiFan88
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Lee, maybe another player w a longtime coach. ;)

Lee
03-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Lee, maybe another player w a longtime coach. ;)

:p I know there are some but don't tell me it's someone on my avatar.

Tytta!.
03-17-2005, 07:07 PM
I don't know whether it's Gasquet or not... Another option would be Monfils, but just God knows about who he was talking about

the cat
03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm glad Gustavo and Larri had an amiable parting. I hope Gustavo finds his game and again and can enjoy playing tennis again. And I hope Larri get another very good player to work with.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
03-19-2005, 02:59 PM
Not a bad choice, :clap2: he needs the new coach to teach him. :rocker2:

holagirl56
03-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Maybe it's a good thing, because then Guga can see things from a whole new perspective.

I'm sure that Guga knows what he's doing. And maybe it's for the best.