Matress Mac: US Davis Cup team would not have lost to Crotia in Houston [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Matress Mac: US Davis Cup team would not have lost to Crotia in Houston

JennyS
03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/ten/3083470

Angle Queen
03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
The loss that upset him was Bob and Mike Bryan falling to Ivan Ljubicic and Mario Ancic in the doubles. That put the Americans in a 2-1 hole starting the final day, and Andy Roddick then was beaten by Ljubicic, the hottest player on the ATP Tour save for Roger Federer.He's right about the doubles loss being the key to the loss...but it wasn't a problem with the surface. The second sentence said it all. Ljubicic was HOT...and I don't think surface, time or place would have mattered.

Action Jackson
03-14-2005, 01:54 PM
Surface wise the Croatians matched up well with the Americans. Agassi isn't a force on clay anymore, Ljubo and Karate Kid are at worst competent on the surface and I doubt Ducky would have won 2 matches on clay either.

They were outplayed and that's the bottom line.

smucav
03-14-2005, 04:11 PM
Surface wise the Croatians matched up well with the Americans. Agassi isn't a force on clay anymore, Ljubo and Karate Kid are at worst competent on the surface and I doubt Ducky would have won 2 matches on clay either.
They were outplayed and that's the bottom line.I don't think he's saying they should have played on clay; the Westside Tennis Club has all four surfaces (designed by the same four designers of the Grand Slam courts).

sigmagirl91
03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Oh, Mack, shut the fuck up.

pryss
03-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh, Mack, shut the fuck up.
ditto.

Chloe le Bopper
03-14-2005, 07:08 PM
If Ivan somehow makes the Masters Cup this year, part of me will be just a little bit sad that it's not being held in Houston ;)

fedpras
03-14-2005, 09:42 PM
"All I know is," he said, "for $120 million (the USTA's annual budget, according to McIngvale), how do you lose to Croatia? I guarantee you they don't beat us here."

Mattress Mac is a bit of a creep (it might be the ears :devil: ). Obviously Croatia had the better team. I think it’s very rude of him to detract from Croatia’s win (especially Ljubicic) by saying the US would have won at a different location and by seeming to belittle Croatia. I mean, it's one thing to be patriotic, but it's totally different to be condescending to other countries because they aren’t as big or as rich.

Neely
03-14-2005, 10:32 PM
It's normal. Mac is just trying to promote his venue. There's nothing I could blame him for saying that and after such a loss there will be always people who are saying this or that and things like that.

*M*
03-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Mattress Mac is a bit of a creep (it might be the ears :devil: ). Obviously Croatia had the better team. I think it’s very rude of him to detract from Croatia’s win (especially Ljubicic) by saying the US would have won at a different location and by seeming to belittle Croatia. I mean, it's one thing to be patriotic, but it's totally different to be condescending to other countries because they aren’t as big or as rich.My sentiments exactly!

adeegee
03-14-2005, 11:18 PM
he's such a dick, i refuse to even read the article

Socket
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
I don't think he's saying they should have played on clay; the Westside Tennis Club has all four surfaces (designed by the same four designers of the Grand Slam courts).
I didn't know that. Impressive.

Socket
03-14-2005, 11:26 PM
It's normal. Mac is just trying to promote his venue. There's nothing I could blame him for saying that and after such a loss there will be always people who are saying this or that and things like that.
Yeah, he's just promoting his baby.

nkhera1
03-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Ljubicic would have won on any surface with the way he was playing as well as roddick and agassi. However, doubles may have been a different story and that may have helped them win it in the end but Andy isn't really a master at clay.

Scotso
03-15-2005, 12:27 AM
:lol:

sierra91
03-15-2005, 04:59 AM
Oh, Mack, shut the fuck up. he's such a dick, i refuse to even read the article :yeah: DITTO, DITTO :yeah:

darnyelb
03-15-2005, 05:36 AM
If Ivan somehow makes the Masters Cup this year, part of me will be just a little bit sad that it's not being held in Houston ;)

bwha! loved this comment! :worship:

Smankyou
03-15-2005, 07:03 AM
I don't think he's saying they should have played on clay; the Westside Tennis Club has all four surfaces (designed by the same four designers of the Grand Slam courts).
Mac's issue isn't about the surface. He's ranting about crowd atmosphere.

We've got the best fans, the best atmosphere in the world out there. No way we wouldn't have pulled them through.
Apparently Texan's do everything better.

smucav
03-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Mac's issue isn't about the surface. He's ranting about crowd atmosphere.That's what I was trying to say. Others thought he meant they should have played on clay in Houston (mostly because they may have been unaware there are other surfaces there).

boliviana
03-15-2005, 03:16 PM
It's such a load of crap . . . the US lost becasue there's no talent here . . . crowd or no crowd men's tennis in the US is at a pretty serious low. I love Agassi but we won't have him much longer and Roddick may or may not have the goods to be a long-time contender. Personally I doubt it . . . I don't see him staying that focused and willing to grind it out on tour the way Agassi has over the years. And the rest of them just cannot break through (Fish, Blake, Dent)