Whose serve is the best to copy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Whose serve is the best to copy?

nkhera1
03-13-2005, 09:38 PM
I want to change my serve a bit and I'm wondering who has a really good stroke to follow. I was thinking about using Andy Roddick's. Does anyone have any suggestions for me. That would be greatly appreciated. Also when i mean copy i mean whose is the mose effective and effecient because i've heard that Roddick's serve isn't a good one to copy. I was also thinking of using Roger Federer's serve. Thanks in advance.

ae wowww
03-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Don't try either. Roddick's is deceptive (his chest plays a BIG role) and Roger's is complicated, but looks simple.
Just change little bits of your current serve. E.g. throw a little higher, cross feet etc.
Could try Lleyton's-more straightforward to copy.

mitalidas
03-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Sampras's

Sjengster
03-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Unless you have a very lively serving arm and strong knees then I wouldn't try copying Roddick's, the toss is so fast and the racket-head speed is just impossible to replicate. Hewitt's serve looks rather cramped and awkward to me. Federer's is probably the best technically out of all the top players, but he himself said it's always best for young players not to try and directly imitate the technique of the pros on any shot, but to find what works best for them.

With the service motion, the simpler the better in most cases. I have a Bjorkman-like capacity for imitating players' actions, which is fun for a little while but means I can never settle on a single one and use it all the time.

nkhera1
03-13-2005, 09:51 PM
Sampras's

do you have a video of his serve?

Domino
03-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Don't try and copy anyone's, it's too complicated and you'll end up improving on one day and trying forever to repeat it, but because you copied a technique you'll be striving to do it perfectly, which is nearly impossible. Try instead, a basic swing and a low toss. Swing fast and fluid and adjust a little to your liking. You'll soon develope your own stroke that you will do by instinct, and not have some image of another doing it in your head the whole time.

robinhood
03-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Never Hewitt's. You'll get a foot-fault call all the time.

GermanBoy
03-13-2005, 10:20 PM
Elena Dementieva`s... :devil:

macbaq
03-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Elena Dementieva`s... :devil:

hehe. i'm with you :devil: :devil:

erik-the-red
03-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I think you should try to mentally visualize a pro's serve you really like BEFORE you actually serve. Roddick, Federer, Safin, and Moya all have pretty "textbook" serves. Sampras and Kafelnikov are two retired players who also had "textbook" serves, especially the former.

Just remember to toss the ball in front of you, not to your left if you're right-handed, utilize a shoulder turn (ie. use your whole body, not just your arm), and transfer weight from your back foot to your front.

But, most of all, keep it simple!

To answer your question, though, Sampras's service motion was so fluid. His serve had everything. Since he's retired it's a bit hard to watch him now.

Roddick's serve might not be the "traditional" format, but there is nothing wrong with it. He does everything the traditional server does; he just does it faster. If you watch the juniors play, you'll notice a lot of them are opting to do it Roddick's way (viz. Monfils, although he's ATP now).

Federer's is also good. I'm sure it's more complicated than it seems, but it is a great one to visualize.

Safin's shoulder turn is so obvious; watch it!

mitalidas
03-13-2005, 11:43 PM
do you have a video of his serve?
if someone else doesn;t beat me to it, i will link you to one

(i *have* seen one --its on a site that is linked on the Torrents thread, just don't remember more)

416_Life
03-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Well, with Roddick's serve (without copying him I have a similar motion) it usually involves a TON of power from the legs and a hard, clobbering snap of the wrist. But when you pull your hands out from your body, right before the toss, you make sure they are not nearly as far as some other pros. It's difficult to generate much power unless you can adequately take advantage of harnessing your lower body's power.

Dirk
03-14-2005, 12:12 AM
Try Roger's. :) Safin has nice smooth one too.

Ruski
03-14-2005, 12:21 AM
Federer's.
Smooth and Natural service motion! Produces different angles with the same ball toss!

tennischick
03-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Ducky torques his body and shoulders too much -- no-one should copy that serve.

as a club player myself i prefer to copy the journeymen as i won't be pro anytime soon. like Rainer's or Kafelnikov's (no offense intended to either), i.e., your good everyday garden-variety serve.

erik-the-red
03-14-2005, 01:17 AM
The thing about Kafelnikov's serve was that he had such an easy, flowing motion.

It's like he barely had to exert any force at all but could still produce 100+ mph serves.

He is 6'3", yes, but still, the motion is so relaxed.

alfonsojose
03-14-2005, 01:54 AM
I know this forum it's about men's tennis but i strongly recommed Davenport's serve to learn form. It's really beautiful and simple, with great technique. As a club player i think JesusFed's serve would be too much for me, so i chose Lindsay a few months ago. It has been really :yeah:

tennischick
03-14-2005, 02:04 AM
Fonz: i agree. Lindsay has an awesome serve and it is also very smooth. ;)

Kristen
03-14-2005, 02:27 AM
Do you know the German, Karsten Braasch?
If not... good. avoid him! Though he might be a good example of "Just do what feels natural for you"!

Fumus
03-14-2005, 03:11 AM
Gael Monfils won 3 junior gs after he copied Roddick's serve, so yea definitly don't copy that one...lol...

I will let Roger Federer answer this question...

"I never tried to copy anyone. I think that's what the kids also should know. You know, okay, some techniques are good, but maybe there's something else also than the technique that makes your favorite player win the match. This sometimes kids don't see."

-Roger Federer

To continue Roger's thought, understanding the key aspects of the form is all the is important. How it looks and how stylish it is...that's unimportant.

Dirk
03-14-2005, 03:15 AM
Yeah but the long term health effects could destroy any pro's career. I think it was a lot more than just his serve motion that won him 3 junior slams.

Fumus
03-14-2005, 03:20 AM
Yeah but the long term health effects could destroy any pro's career. I think it was a lot more than just his serve motion that won him 3 junior slams.

I think Roger would agree if you read that quote I posted. All I was saying is that Roddick's motion is as good as any as far as playability goes.

The issue with the serve is that modern day tennis is tramatic on the elbow, shoulder, and wrist. It cannot be said that any motion is more dangerous to ones body. Rather it is whether one is injury prone or not that effects whether one becomes injured or stays healthy. To prove causality in health effects on something so technically complicated as the serve is nearly impossible. Who is to say they would not have been injured anyways... :rolleyes:

Dirk
03-14-2005, 03:25 AM
Tell that to Rafter who has a similiar motion to Roddick's. Roger meant that nobody wanting to be in the pros should copy motion but club players looking to improve yeah I don't think he would object to it.

tennischick
03-14-2005, 03:34 AM
Tell that to Rafter who has a similiar motion to Roddick's.
and has a totally messed up shoulder to show for it. that's exactly my point.

this is not a debate over the effectiveness of the Duck's serve. it's a question of which serve should a club-level player copy.

jole
03-14-2005, 03:54 AM
I've always had a very strong liking for Safin's serve. It is relatively straight forward and such, but he can do quite a bit with the ball. Him being really strong makes it work out nicely for sure though. He creates so much torque when he rotates his hips, arches his back, then springs up.

I've got to admit Guga really did prove you can produce a ton of pace and bite on the ball with mainly sheer racquet speed, and not a ton "muscle wise". Refering to his entire game.

Neely
03-14-2005, 06:26 AM
I think PimPim's serve is a good one to copy. Setup, ball toss, service motion. For sure one of the most fluid motions you can watch at the moment.

Becarina
03-14-2005, 06:50 AM
rotates his hips, arches his back, then springs up

hmmm.....imagination going wild :devil:

Ferrero Forever
03-14-2005, 07:54 AM
pim-pims for just a great serve, and melzer for a pretty serve. I could just watch jurgen serve all day long, it's so pretty.

Ferrero Forever
03-14-2005, 07:55 AM
Ones i wouldn't suggest to copy is Hrbaty because you'd sustain a neck injury trying to see where you've tossed the ball, and Mirnyi because it's just so weird.

RonE
03-14-2005, 09:58 AM
Sampras's

Only problem is, you can't learn that service motion- you need incredible flexibility, dexterity and balance to be able to excute it. If you don't have those traits forget it, just try keeping it as simple as possible don't copy any player's motions.

Remember these players have developed their motion after years of practice starting when they were small children. Just figure out what works best for you by trial and error and eventually you will develop a motion that will suit you.

Bilbo
03-14-2005, 11:19 AM
I would copy Joachim Johansson's serve.

With this serve you will remain unbroken in your career as a club player.

Horatio Caine
03-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I use an action copied from Rusedski. However, it does tire your shoulder out by the 4th / 5th set. It is quite difficult to read from the other side of the net i have been told - I win service games with a lot of unreturnable serves. However, I don't serve and volley! :lol:

JennyS
03-14-2005, 12:48 PM
and has a totally messed up shoulder to show for it. that's exactly my point.

this is not a debate over the effectiveness of the Duck's serve. it's a question of which serve should a club-level player copy.

There are plenty of players with the traditional service motion who have bad shoulders. I actually think the shorter motion is more natural. I don't like the long windup, but everyone should do the one they are more comfortable with. Most people who do the so-called Roddick serve won't be serving like him at all. The only thing similar will likely be that they just put the racquet head up instead of loop it around.

Black Adam
03-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Taylor Dent.......you hardly need to jump and can hit as hard as you want.......the problem is about precision :devil:

tennischick
03-14-2005, 04:43 PM
There are plenty of players with the traditional service motion who have bad shoulders.
very true. but Rafter himself admits that his shoulders got messed up by his serving motion. i'm sure the Android blowing a hole thru his racket didn't help though ;)

Rex
03-14-2005, 07:06 PM
why copy- make up your own serve action- serve how you would feel comfortable. Whats the point of serving all your games- aiming to set your opponant of balanced, when half the time your off balanced from a serve your not comfortable with.

misyou25
03-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Amelie's serve is good (for you back) and effective; or try just the I'll-beat-that-ball-as-hard-as-I-can-with-such-speed-way of roddick;) hope you succeed!

misyou25
03-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Taylor Dent.......you hardly need to jump and can hit as hard as you want.......the problem is about precision :devil:
and about the look... :lol:

shaoyu
03-14-2005, 09:01 PM
I wonder how many of you have tried to copy some pro's service motion and how difficult is it to master the new serve and how effective is the new serve.

I believe Roger speaks the truth. I like his serve very much but for me lifting the serving arm at the same time of the toss is somewhat unnatural to me so I keep my serving arm under at the ball toss. But I did follow his stance at the serve.

I think you really need to practice a lot if you want to have an effective serve similar to a pro. The price to pay is likely unprecedented amount of double faults in the beginning :P

nkhera1
03-14-2005, 10:29 PM
I would copy Joachim Johansson's serve.

With this serve you will remain unbroken in your career as a club player.

too bad i would need to grow about another 6 to 8 inches as well :sad:

Domino
03-14-2005, 10:42 PM
I wonder how many of you have tried to copy some pro's service motion and how difficult is it to master the new serve and how effective is the new serve.

I believe Roger speaks the truth. I like his serve very much but for me lifting the serving arm at the same time of the toss is somewhat unnatural to me so I keep my serving arm under at the ball toss. But I did follow his stance at the serve.

I think you really need to practice a lot if you want to have an effective serve similar to a pro. The price to pay is likely unprecedented amount of double faults in the beginning :P

For the longest time I Tried to emulate Becker's, and I could never get it right. when I returned to a more intuitive style for me, I ended up with a very effective serve. I repeat what I said earlier about copying serves.

wipeout
03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
What about Goran's serve?

erik-the-red
03-15-2005, 01:34 AM
As I said before, I think you should visualize a pro's serve you really like before you serve. But, you don't have to copy it 100%! Pick what you like from it, and develop your own.

The only thing in common motion-wise between the serves of Rafter and Roddick is that neither goes "down" in the preparation; they go "up."

Rafter's service motion was very fluid and very beautiful. He had a nasty kick to back up the elegance, too.

Poljud
03-15-2005, 07:53 AM
What about Goran's serve?

As a Croatian i tried to copy his serve for a while. It gets great angle but unless you're atleast 6'4 theres no way it will be as effective as others. I am too short to execute it effectively like he did. Goran uses a lot of wrist so its difficult.
Pimpim is the same. Most of these beanpoles have huge serves based around their height.
If anyones, copy Mario Ancic. A lot of power with little effort.

Horatio Caine
03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
Wayne Arthurs - so fluid you could watch it all day. Arvind Parmar has a smooth action. Whatever you do - don't copy Alex Bogdanovic! :tape:

Nan Cu
03-15-2005, 04:29 PM
Serena Williams. I know many would say, but Venus has a horrible serve...SERENA. This IMO is the serve to copy. She once got 100% first serves in at the 2001 USO, hitting every corner in the boxes and averaging 100mph. Plus, she's only 5'8", a height most of us can correspond with.

alfonsojose
03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Nobody's has mention LenaD's killer slice delivery. It's the best thing to kill .. yourself out there :worship: :tape: But she's improving

PaulieM
03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Nobody's has mention LenaD's killer slice delivery. It's the best thing to kill .. yourself out there :worship: :tape: But she's improving
now that's who i modeled my serve on...