Miami WC for Donald Young [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Miami WC for Donald Young

Scotso
03-13-2005, 03:37 PM
how laughable. this kid is ruined, it's official.

not to mention this is a total waste of a WC that could go to an American who has a CHANCE to win a match (i.e. Paul Goldstein).

joeb_uk
03-13-2005, 03:40 PM
So its another joke selection, young and phillipousis, both dont have a chance of winning a match. Sure its good experience for young, but how is he going to feel confidence wise when he is getting so many wildcards to atp events and is getting hammered every single time.

nkhera1
03-13-2005, 03:59 PM
Young needs to go back to the juniors and first try to win a juniors grand slam, though at age 15 he isn't doing too bad.

smucav
03-13-2005, 04:02 PM
http://www.tennisreporters.net/commentary_JK_031205.html
Roddick: Young not ready for tour
Down to the 15-year-olds, where US phenom Donald Young was smoked again on Friday, this time by Arnaud Clement 6-3, 6-2. It was Young's third consecutive first-round loss – to Robby Ginepri, Paul Goldstein and Clement. Young, who won the '05 Australian Open Juniors, has only managed to snare 12 games in those contests. He looks very frustrated and is definitely pressing. He's also going to play the NASDAQ-100, but maybe he and IMG should take a pass.

Andy Roddick thinks that some wrong choices are being made. "I just think it's getting pushed a little fast, " Roddick said. "I'd love to see him take the time and really work on his game. I say that with the best possible intentions for him. I think he's insanely talented if you've seen him strike the ball and the way he naturally feels it. There's definitely something special there. But, is he ready to play week-in, week-out on the main tour? I don't think so. I hope I'm proved wrong.

"Maybe you start in qualies or in Challengers or maybe even the Futures first. I'd love nothing more than for him to come in and just start ripping people apart but I don't know if that's the case. I hope he knows that this should be going and enjoying the experience and if that's the way they're looking at it, go and try to build and see what you're up against so you know what you have to work on then that's kind of a great attitude to take into it. But I'm not really sure how they are going about it."

aceit
03-13-2005, 04:04 PM
It's a more useful WC than Philippoussis. :o

smucav
03-13-2005, 04:06 PM
It's a more useful WC than Philippoussis. :oNot from the perspective of the tournament organizers who are looking out for their bottom line. Flip is one of the few non-Americans who is a "name" in the U.S. & can move some tickets (particularly in California & Florida).

nkhera1
03-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Not from the perspective of the tournament organizers who are looking out for their bottom line. Flip is one of the few non-Americans who is a "name" in the U.S. & can move some tickets (particularly in California & Florida).

Actually for tournament organizers Donald Young is a good pick as well, becuase if i'm not mistaken the tournaments choose who gets the wild card. Most people would rather see a 15 year old kid who is hyped up than some low ranking other player in most cases.

ftd999
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
how laughable. this kid is ruined, it's official.

not to mention this is a total waste of a WC that could go to an American who has a CHANCE to win a match (i.e. Paul Goldstein).

Yes, I don't think it does any good to lose four matches in a row straight sets. You need to go and work on your game between each loss, fix the problems, and come back and try again. I don't believe this is the right route.

Still, let's hope for a positive. Maybe he'll draw a clay courter or something. Just want him to get that first win out of the way so we can stop listening to all the chatter about it. The reporters will really start hitting him soon if he keeps losing badly in straights. And regardless of what he says, that kind of stuff gets in your mind and creates more pressure.

:)

ftd999
03-13-2005, 04:12 PM
Young needs to go back to the juniors and first try to win a juniors grand slam, though at age 15 he isn't doing too bad.

He did, he already won AO04 juniors and final of the Orange bowl. No, he's better than junior tennis now, there's no point to being there, he must go somewhere that will force him to raise his level. I think the right route is to play a few futures or challengers, and occasionally take a wild card on the main tour to see where's he's at (in terms of the highest level).

Alvarillo
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
another Gasquet ..................

smucav
03-13-2005, 04:18 PM
Actually for tournament organizers Donald Young is a good pick as well, becuase if i'm not mistaken the tournaments choose who gets the wild card. Most people would rather see a 15 year old kid who is hyped up than some low ranking other player in most cases.No one except the real tennis fanatics knows who Donald Young is. Most of his publicity has been confined to tennis publications, not mainstream media. The tournaments know this too, since his matches have been confined to outside courts (unless his opponent is someone who belongs on center court). Far more people know who Flip is. No one was giving Tommy Haas all those wild cards in 2004 out of the goodness of their hearts. He's the rare non-American (particularly in the smaller U.S. tournaments) who can sell tickets in the U.S. Flip is even more well known then Haas.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 04:28 PM
He did, he already won AO04 juniors and final of the Orange bowl. No, he's better than junior tennis now, there's no point to being there, he must go somewhere that will force him to raise his level. I think the right route is to play a few futures or challengers, and occasionally take a wild card on the main tour to see where's he's at (in terms of the highest level).
Just because he's the top junior doesn't mean that he's too good to stay there. It doesn't seem to have hurt Monfils to stick juniors out through most of last year.

I agree with the rest of your post though :)

ftd999
03-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Just because he's the top junior doesn't mean that he's too good to stay there. It doesn't seem to have hurt Monfils to stick juniors out through most of last year.

I agree with the rest of your post though :)

Monfils didn't really stick Juniors out. He didn't play the Orange Bowl, and he basically only played four or five tournaments (the slams). Yeah, Young could still play the slams, but he's already reached the top of junior tennis. What's his motivation? More junior slams (who cares)? I think move on to bigger things, players that will force him to improve :)

Black Adam
03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Hope Young develops his game and can handle all the pressure being put on him.
Of those WC's Scud, Young, Monfils only Gael has got a reasonable chance of winning a match or 2 ;)
Scud lacks practise
Young needs to develop mor ehis game and prepare himself by playing challengers.

adeegee
03-13-2005, 05:07 PM
He's been hammered in every match and he's played 3 pretty average players. What is the point in him playing its going to shatter his confidence, he hasn't got a chance against any player in the draw (actually is Labadze playing?)

Maxpowers
03-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Doing well in the juniors is a lot different from doing well in the pros. I don't know why they keep putting him in tournaments where he doesn't belong. Let him try and earn a ranking.

Action Jackson
03-13-2005, 05:15 PM
A joke.

joeb_uk
03-13-2005, 05:18 PM
A joke.
:yeah:

Domino
03-13-2005, 05:24 PM
Also, all the good juniors basically graduated last year and the year before. From the current crop, very few look really good, and those who do have already adapted to the tour (Djokovic, for one). I honestly don't think that judging Young from his AO win to mean that he is too good for the juniors is right. If you look at the other juniors from last year, they're actually doing some impressive stuff. Andrew Murray in DC, Stakohvsky even made it to the third round in Milan, Monfils with challenger wins and impressive tour wins, and Brendan Evans (A lefty and American like Young) has had nice performances at the least (Taking a set off Ancic in Scottsdale).

What has young shown? He was smoked on all occasions, and to average players not even playing well. For once, I agree with Roddick; if Young really is that talented, he should be developing his game at the juniors, playing the occasional challenger, not ATP event, and definitely not a MS event.

tennischick
03-13-2005, 05:26 PM
Young gets a LOT of coverage on the Tennis Channel. Bolletieri markets him as HIS latest phenom. i suspect that there is some heavy influence behind the scenes to get these WCs. does he deserve them? why not. i'm all for him getting his chances to play with the big guys. if he can't hang with them hopefully he and his Dad will admit that to themselves and start playing some challengers.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Monfils didn't really stick Juniors out. He didn't play the Orange Bowl, and he basically only played four or five tournaments (the slams). Yeah, Young could still play the slams, but he's already reached the top of junior tennis. What's his motivation? More junior slams (who cares)? I think move on to bigger things, players that will force him to improve :)
He played 6 ;) Regardless, he still played them despite being "too good for the juniors" by your definition, and it doesn't seem to have hurt him ;) He played 10 the year before that, 2 of which were after the USO (and he stopped juniors after the USO lastyear, so that means he didn't really cut back his schedule from the year before all that much :p) It seems he's made an effort at the futures level since 2003, so I guess that woudl explain his "light" juniors schedule.

Anyways, he was winning futures last year... in April. And still played Junior slams. Young isn't even doing that. So I don't think that "too good for juniors" really applies to him. That's all ;)

I wish they would have Young do more of what Monfils did... stick with the juniors at least a little and make an effort in futures qualies and what not :shrug:

Horatio Caine
03-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Adegee - Labadze would nail him to the back fence with that serve! ;)

Nimomunz
03-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Young is far too young....(pardon the OBVIOUS PUN). :D
Too many WC =too much pressure!!

p.s. Betcha someone has already used that pu b4 coz its soo glaringly OBVIOUS!!!

Havok
03-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Get over it already. Face it any American given a WC will most likely lose, so why not give it to someone who might be a prospect in the future instead of other older Americans who might be better players, but have done fuck all in their careers?

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
Get over it already. Face it any American given a WC will most likely lose, so why not give it to someone who might be a prospect in the future instead of other older Americans who might be better players, but have done fuck all in their careers?
Blake might win his match ;) I don't think that you meant him though :D

Generally I agree. There are 29348308943 tournaments in the US. There are ample opportunities for US players to be awarded WCs. If there was one tournament in the US, I would understand the outrage at giving WCs to foreigners. Mind you, there is one tournament in Canada and I'd like to see us give two of our WCs to foreign players :shrug:

adeegee
03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
Would anyone be against having a Masters Series on grass? Preferably in Britain?

Saumon
03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
he is too young to get wild cards :tape:

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Would anyone be against having a Masters Series on grass? Preferably in Britain?
I'd be all for it. Lee Childs doesnt' get nearly enough WCs.

Action Jackson
03-13-2005, 06:26 PM

As long as they took away a TMS from the USA or a hardcourt one.

adeegee
03-13-2005, 06:28 PM
As long as they took away a TMS from the USA or a hardcourt one.

Absolutely, there's far too many American hardcourt ones. But they don't necessarily have to drop one, they could just make it 10 a season.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 09:49 PM
Still, let's hope for a positive. Maybe he'll draw a clay courter or something. Just want him to get that first win out of the way so we can stop listening to all the chatter about it.

I disagree. I think that's the worst possible thing that could happen. If he DOES win a match, they will all say "we told you he was a God" and blab about him more and more. Not to mention offer him more wildcards and such. No, I think having him get his ass kicked is the best thing for him. If he thinks that as a 15yo, no matter how talented, that he can take on the world's elite... he needs a reality check.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
If he thinks that as a 15yo, no matter how talented, that he can take on the world's elite... he needs a reality check.

I think that you're putting too much of the blame on Young's shoulders. He isn't the one arranging the WCs. He's not the one giving them out. There are a looot of people who would love to make a buck off Donald Young some day. They're the ones pushing for this. Yes, he's going along with it, but when you are 16 and have other people handling your career, I don't think that you are entirely accountable for what they decide to do with you.

I think that most of the people slamming the Young WCs can agree that he's obivously a very good junior, all things considered. To say he isnt' ready for the main tour isn't an insult to him, and shouldn't be perceived as such. If Young was all of a sudden kicking seirous ass I would think that was great. As it is, I'm concerned.

Socket
03-13-2005, 09:53 PM
There's no reason why there can't be a Masters on grass. All that's missing is a sponsor (or sponsors) willing to put up the cash.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
I think that you're putting too much of the blame on Young's shoulders. He isn't the one arranging the WCs. He's not the one giving them out. There are a looot of people who would love to make a buck off Donald Young some day. They're the ones pushing for this. Yes, he's going along with it, but when you are 16 and have other people handling your career, I don't think that you are entirely accountable for what they decide to do with you.

I think that most of the people slamming the Young WCs can agree that he's obivously a very good junior, all things considered. To say he isnt' ready for the main tour isn't an insult to him, and shouldn't be perceived as such. If Young was all of a sudden kicking seirous ass I would think that was great. As it is, I'm concerned.

I'm not insulting him. He might be just going along with it, but something tells me that he wants it. If he said "no," there's nothing they can do. My comments were general, not necessarily to him. Whoever is making the decisions to let him play these events needs the reality check.

Socket
03-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Absolutely, there's far too many American hardcourt ones. But they don't necessarily have to drop one, they could just make it 10 a season.
These events exist there because the US has sponsors who want to fund the event, fans who want to buy the tickets, and players who want to play the events. Thankfully, not even the ATP is dumb enough to drop a successful event just because of its location.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 10:00 PM
There's no reason why there can't be a Masters on grass. All that's missing is a sponsor (or sponsors) willing to put up the cash.

There are a lot of reasons why there can't be one on grass. There just isn't a demand for it. Players don't like grass much, it causes a lot of injuries, and it's just not much fun to watch.

I would be against it.... Wimbledon is fine, but putting another huge tournament on grass would be boring IMO.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 10:02 PM
What they need to do is lengthen the clay season by making Indian Wells and Miami earlier or later in the season, and put all the clay events from late Feb to Roland Garros. indoors events should be put after Roland Garros and Wimbledon should be made an indoor event :angel:

They should just have three seasons. August-January hardcourt season, February to May clay season, June-August indoor season.

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm not insulting him. He might be just going along with it, but something tells me that he wants it. If he said "no," there's nothing they can do. My comments were general, not necessarily to him. Whoever is making the decisions to let him play these events needs the reality check.

Thanks for clarifying :)

Chloe le Bopper
03-13-2005, 10:06 PM
There are a lot of reasons why there can't be one on grass. There just isn't a demand for it. Players don't like grass much, it causes a lot of injuries, and it's just not much fun to watch.

I would be against it.... Wimbledon is fine, but putting another huge tournament on grass would be boring IMO.

Grass causes a lot of injuries? Compared to what?

Nimomunz
03-13-2005, 10:36 PM
What they need to do is lengthen the clay season by making Indian Wells and Miami earlier or later in the season, and put all the clay events from late Feb to Roland Garros. indoors events should be put after Roland Garros and Wimbledon should be made an indoor event :angel:

They should just have three seasons. August-January hardcourt season, February to May clay season, June-August indoor season.
June-August indoor makes zero sense as its summer and the sun is out. Tennis follows the sun. Indoor is for dreary winter....

ftd999
03-14-2005, 01:54 AM

I think it's a great idea, but not in Britain. They already have enough. I think they should either have a grass court circuit (a month or two) or just dump grass all together. It's stupid to only play 1 or 2 two tournaments a year on a surface nobody ever plays on :)

ftd999
03-14-2005, 01:57 AM

I hope he wants it. If he doesn't want to play the best players, then there's something wrong. However, hopefully he'd rather earn it by winning some lower tournaments and getting his ranking to a decent spot :)

PaulieM
03-14-2005, 02:06 AM
what happens, happens. Good Luck Donald :)

Argentine girl
03-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Believe me, they will continue giving a wildcard to Donald Young until he can win his first ATP match. Then USTA will yell " Yes, Young will be better than Nadal in the next two years".

Scotso
03-14-2005, 04:03 AM
No one will ever be better than Nadal :fiery:

Chloe le Bopper
03-14-2005, 04:11 AM
No one will ever be better than Nadal :fiery:
;)

Nadal earned his way into the big events by playing and WINNING futures/challengers... when he was Donald's age. Nadal was physically mature already though, and that is probably why he was able to do it.

Scotso
03-14-2005, 04:26 AM
Nadal was a God when he was 2. Period.

Scotso
03-14-2005, 04:27 AM
I need 359 more posts.

Scotso
03-14-2005, 04:27 AM
Vamos post count.