Flipper gets wild card into Miami... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Flipper gets wild card into Miami...

henree
03-13-2005, 01:41 PM
I hope he makes better use of it than at Indian Wells. Being that he is taking an oppprtunity away from some youngster, he better at least make it pass the 1st rd.

MissPovaFan
03-13-2005, 01:45 PM
Totally agree with you! What a waste of a wild card :rolleyes:

Experimentee
03-13-2005, 01:50 PM
He doesnt deserve the WC and will probably lose first round. Like in IW they probbaly gave it to him because he is at least a name that is known, and that fans would come to see, so i dont blame them there. But if he is serious about getting back he should be playing qualifying.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 02:13 PM
This is so annoying :rolleyes:

Maxpowers
03-13-2005, 02:23 PM
I sat right behind him last year. He looked just terrible.

joeb_uk
03-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Just let him spend time with his little groupie, dont waste wildcards on someone who obviously isnt too bothered with tennis atm.

Socket
03-13-2005, 02:53 PM
He'll continue to get WCs as long as his name recognition remains high, so I don't question the judgment of the tour organizers in giving him one. They just want to sell tickets. But I do question the wisdom of Mark's management in advising him to ask for and accept the WC. As others here have said, he desparately needs match practice, so he should be playing qualifying or challengers. But Mark never seems to have gotten good advice, or to have listened to what good advice he actually got. It's sad, but he'll probably go down in tennis history as one of the biggest unrealized talents.

smucav
03-13-2005, 03:08 PM
He'll continue to get WCs as long as his name recognition remains high, so I don't question the judgment of the tour organizers in giving him one. They just want to sell tickets.Agreed. As I've said in other threads, he is one of the few non-Americans who is enough of a "name" to move tickets in the U.S. (particularly in California & Florida).

Horatio Caine
03-13-2005, 03:55 PM
I seriously think Andy Murray should be given one. Monfils has been given at least half a dozen this season. Murray has huge potential also - please give him a chance.

jrm
03-13-2005, 04:08 PM
At this time it would had been better to play qualies!

Nimomunz
03-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Why bother???
:rolleyes:

tennisace
03-13-2005, 04:45 PM
I'm not that up on whose been given a WC for Miami, but just read on Tennis-x that Mark has taken a WC into a challenger event, which starts Tuesday, in Sunrise, FL.

Horatio Caine
03-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Why do they give ANOTHER one to Young? He is just not ready to play the pros yet - everyone cna see it. He will only win if there is a retirement or a walk over. Give the WC to someone who is more developed physically.

CooCooCachoo
03-13-2005, 05:59 PM
:woohoo:

Someone will have an easy draw.

:woohoo:

Socket
03-13-2005, 08:03 PM
I'm not that up on whose been given a WC for Miami, but just read on Tennis-x that Mark has taken a WC into a challenger event, which starts Tuesday, in Sunrise, FL.
Good luck, Mark! My parents live very close to Sunrise, I'll have to see if they'll want to go now.

Socket
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
Why do they give ANOTHER one to Young? He is just not ready to play the pros yet - everyone cna see it. He will only win if there is a retirement or a walk over. Give the WC to someone who is more developed physically.
You're right, and his getting WCs is another example of how the tour simply doesn't put the best interests of the players first. But that's to be expected. What isn't expected, and what is truly depressing, is that his management company and parents allow him to take the WC. I guess they really want the first round prize money.

Rex
03-13-2005, 08:14 PM
its true- its much better to give the wc to someone who is much better in a physical way.

Scotso
03-13-2005, 08:38 PM
I would LOVE to go to the Sunrise challenger. They have a great field.