What Kind Of Raquet Do Youuuuu Use?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What Kind Of Raquet Do Youuuuu Use??

CivicLx
03-13-2005, 01:58 AM
Good evening, good morning and good afternoon noon...I was just wondering some questions soooooo in no particular order, here they gooooooo
1. What kind of raquet does everyone use? What kind of string do you have and what tension is your raquet strung at?

2. How many people use more than one raquet? If you use a different raquet, is it a different one or is it the same raquet just strung differently?

3. Would you consider investing in a ball machine?

4. How many of you belong to raquet clubs?

And that is all I will ask for now...so if you guys could answer my questions that would be suuuuuuuuuper thanks :)

aceit
03-13-2005, 02:07 AM
1. Babolat Pure Drive. I honestly don't know what tension/strings I use. We have like a billion in our basement because my dad used to string professionally for pros and he strings mine. So, yeah. I have absolutly no idea. :p Sorry.
2. I have 3 racquets. They are all the same type except one is 1/8th of a grip size larger. They are all generally the same tension unless I'm just trying something new out.
3. Do you have your own court? If so, I would. But of course it all depends on how much you are willing/can spend. If you don't have many people to practice with, that seems like a good idea.
4. I do. I belong to a country club for the summer. And in the winter I go to an indoor racquet club.

There you go. :)

CivicLx
03-13-2005, 02:10 AM
I'll post my answers or comments now.
1. I've used a couple cheap raquets from wal mart which were fine with me because I'm new and they all kind of seem the same to me. I had a Dunlop 800...I forget what kind of string I used and it was strung in the middle. I had a Prince Shark MP strung with Prince Orig Syn 16 and it was strung about 53 (middle) and now I have a Prince Shark MP strung at 52 with Prince Wrapsure. and if you're wondering why I've had so many raquets (about 4 in a little over a year) it's because I break them :o which is not something I'm proud of, but I just get upset sometimes sorry sorry :o

2.I was considering buying another raquet just like mine and having it strung with the same string but at a different tension. I just wanted to do this so I could see what kind of a difference it would make. I would either have it strung less or more depending on whether I wanted control or power. It's just that I'm so new to playing tennis that I can't really tell the difference between raquets. I mean yeah I can tell a weight difference between a 9.5 oz raquet and an 11 but I couldn't tell you it was head heavy or head light just by holding it. I wouldn't mind having another raquet (I like to collect things for some reason) but I wouldn't want to use two different raquets at the same time.

3. I've thought about getting a ball machine just for practicing off of, but I don't know how often I'd really use it. I would probably go for one that's in the $1000 range and I wouldn't want to spend that money and then only use it twice a month. The main reasons I'm considering getting it is to just be able to get a consistent feed everytime. Also a ball machine won't sleep with your girlfriend like a tennis partner might.

4. I don't belong to a raquet club but I've considered joining one here in town.

Guille_ElMago
03-13-2005, 02:19 AM
1. What kind of raquet does everyone use? Prince NXG Graphite Oversize What kind of string do you have and what tension is your raquet strung at? Synthetic Gut@67lbs

2. How many people use more than one raquet? Just one If you use a different raquet, is it a different one or is it the same raquet just strung differently?

3. Would you consider investing in a ball machine? Already own and used one, they are very good training tools

4. How many of you belong to raquet clubs? I used to belong to a racquet club in Jersey but now I just play at the public parks, I might join a club soon though

el_mago2
03-13-2005, 02:22 AM
1. I have 4 Wilson Hammer 6 racquets. All strung at 62lbs.

2. Same racquet with same tension. Except one racquet as slightly different tension for some reason.

3. I don't have a ball machine. But the tennis club I work/play at does have one that I use often. I lack people to play with most of the time (except for the people I work with) so I need the ball machine.

4. I belong to a tennis club in CT. I take private lessons for an hour every work and play in two different clinics for 1.5hrs(tennis has consumed my life....). I also work at the front desk of the club I play at so I'm involved in planning of tournaments, match play, stuff like that.

erik-the-red
03-13-2005, 03:49 PM
1. What kind of raquet does everyone use? What kind of string do you have and what tension is your raquet strung at?

My main stick is an oversize Prince Triple Threat Bandit. I use Gosen OG-Micro Sheep Synthetic Gut, either sixteen or seventeen gauge, strung at 62 pounds. I like a tighter tension.

2. How many people use more than one raquet? If you use a different raquet, is it a different one or is it the same raquet just strung differently?

I also have a Prince Force Three Titanium. It's similar to the Bandit, but lighter and more flexible (thus less power and control). I added lead tape to both racquets, though.

I don't have one, but they are indeed quite helpful.

I'm not a member of any.

And that is all I will ask for now...so if you guys could answer my questions that would be suuuuuuuuuper thanks :)[/QUOTE]

ugotlobbed
03-13-2005, 04:25 PM
NPS 95 BABY!!

adeegee
03-13-2005, 05:03 PM
1. I use the head liquidmetal radical. Used to work part time in a tennis shop so I had the luxury of trying out about 40 racquet's for free and that was the one I liked most. I used to string racquet's as well, so I'm pretty clued up about stringing, I used babolat pro hurricane for the mains and synthetic gut for the crosses, strung at 56lbs.

2. I have 6 of my head liquidmetals. I have some other old racquet's but I don't take them with me when I play matches.

3. Depends, if you have a lot of people you can hit with of a decent standard/similar standard to you its not worth it. If you don't know many people you can hit with then yes they're worth it. But they're quite expensive and can get a bit annoying after a while, its always nice to be able to face serves and a proper human at the other end of the court (I like my opponent dishing out praise after I hit a good shot!). There's no substitute's for actual matches.

4. Yeah I've got a free membership for a club because I used to work there which is rather handy! Wayne Arthurs used to train at the place as well, I had a couple of hits with him, that serve really is something else!

alfonsojose
03-13-2005, 06:46 PM
1. Head Liquidmetal Prestige mid (Rainer's raquect i think :drool: ). tension : 60 lbs
2. I have two raquects, both Head Liquidmetal Prestige mid
3. I wouldn't
4. I belong to my company's tennis raquect

Rex
03-13-2005, 09:05 PM
i got babolat pure drives- done at 62lbs- got two of these rackets exactly the same.
i got a mix of strings- the mains is some babolat polyester string- the crosses is gut.
i would consider a ball machine- too expensive to have and only good if you have your own courts.
I do belong to a tennis club.

misyou25
03-13-2005, 09:08 PM
Good evening, good morning and good afternoon noon...I was just wondering some questions soooooo in no particular order, here they gooooooo

And that is all I will ask for now...so if you guys could answer my questions that would be suuuuuuuuuper thanks :)
1. Babolat Pure Drive (like Kim and Andy), the Babolat strings, don't know the tension...
2. I got 3 raquets, but only use my Babolat one because the other two are bad...don't say what kind of:)
3. depends if you have no partner to play with or if you got spare money
4. Does that exist??? :confused:

misyou25
03-13-2005, 09:09 PM
about 4.: tennis club, but not raquet club

Scotso
03-13-2005, 09:35 PM
1. Dunlop
2. I have a few others... Prince, a lot of Wilson ones, but I prefer my Dunlop racquet.
3. No. That's what the neighborhood kids are for.
4. No.

Breakaway
03-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I have a Head Liquid Metal Instinct like Myskina and Youzhny. I like to use the Head PPS string and @ 61 for the tension. :)

I would get a ball machine to. But I don't have one now.

416_Life
03-14-2005, 03:44 AM
1. I have a Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 6.1, using Wilson Stamina (hey they're cheap!) strings at about 64 for the tension.

3. Ball machine, well only if you won't be able to find someone to play with. It can be pretty costly and you must ensure you'll have the court time (most summer clubs will discourage ball machines because fewer members are playing) and in the winter, court time is again costly.

4. As a junior, I'm a member to three clubs because all of the fees are pretty cheap and I get to play at all types of different levels over three surfaces (hard, green clay, and red clay).

gun
03-14-2005, 05:17 AM
1. I too use Prince NXG Graphite (Mid size). I just broke the first string I got put on last week (60 lbs). Now I'm trying out 63 lbs. String is Prince Synthetic Gut 16L w/ Duraflex.

2. I began playing 5 months ago. My first racquet was Prince TT Bandit OS. Then I changed to the NXG after 3 weeks or so. (Found great deal on eBay). I will probably use this racquet until I break it then look at Prince Diablo or Federer's Wilson.

3. If you don't have a partner to hit with, hit with the wall for now. I don't know ball machine is necessary unless you have money to spare.

4. I want to be a part of one, but for now, I'll just keep practicing until I can spare more time.

mandoura
03-14-2005, 07:57 AM
My son is the one playing. He is almost 14.

1. He uses Wilson Hyper Pro Staff 5.0 MidPlus - Standard Length strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane 16 at 27 kgs.

2. He has 4 of them strung the same. He breaks his strings quite often so needs to have spares. He thinks it is because of his topspin but I think it's the combination "type of string and tension". I am not the one playing so I keep my mouth shut. Will appreciate any input on this.

3. No need for it as he has a lot hitting partners. Sometimes I act as the ball machine. Besides they are quite expensive.

4. I don't know what you mean by racket club but he is a member of a Tennis Club. He is member of their under 14 Junior team. He plays a lot of local competitions. He plays 4 times/week for 120 minutes/session (group training: drills, matches, points, ... etc.) and twice a week with a private coach for 90 minutes/session.

Mrs. B
03-14-2005, 08:05 AM
i have two of the Wilson Hyper Hammer 2.7 with 26 k tension. I use them alternately.

Auscon
03-14-2005, 01:13 PM
Yonex RQ-Ti Power 03

very good racquet, got run over by a car or three, but I still use it....then again, I only have a hit with a couple of mates once or twice a week, and dont play any club tennis or what not, which is what I hope to do one day. Also, I wouldnt know how the racquet handles in terms of serving, because around about the time I got the racquet, I found I'd be getting some bad pain in my wrist on that downward snapping motion.....doctor said to give it a rest for about a month, and if nothing changed, to go back....2 months later, no change...really should think about getting it checked again

another racquet I bought after that just incase it no longer held up, is aYonex Ultimum RQ Ti 1400, but I've found the racquet head doesnt have enough weight for my liking

Angle Queen
03-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Just started playing with a Wilson nCode n5, strung at 55lbs. I haven't quite ponied up the money for a second one of the same...but it's coming. My backup is some off-the-rack thing from Wilson.

Don't own a ball machine and don't particularly like playing with one. Pick-up practice partners at the local park are much better.

And I'm not a member of a club. It's too expensive and clique-ish.

CivicLx
03-15-2005, 04:34 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies guys. I'm thinking about picking up another raquet and having it strung with some different string and at a different tension. I don't know though...something gave me the idea to buy a second raquet so it's kind of like a spur of the moment type thing. Well if I do, I'll let you guys know what I get :)

Paialii
03-16-2005, 03:02 AM

1) I used the Wilson Hammer 6 unti about two weeks ago when I switched to using the Wilson nCode n1 (you can see it here: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-WN1.html). The strings I use are called "Wilson Natural Gut 16." I usually like my racquet strung right at or around 55, but it varies.

2) I signed a development deal with Wilson about two years ago, so I get all Wilson equipment free. I can't count how many Wilson Hammer 6's I went through over two years of playing with it, but so far I've only used two of my new Wilson nCode one. I don't like changing the tension around too much.

3) My dad owns three ball machines.

4) My dad is the head pro at a local tennis club (Blue Hill) so that's where I do all of my training unless the weather is nice and we'll go outside. I'm also a member at Bally's Racquet Club but I rarely go there -- it's too far away.

:)

joseluismb
03-16-2005, 04:05 AM
Wilson NCode 6.1 95. Natural Polyester @ 60 lbs.

I have 2 of them. When I had my old racquets, I used to have 3 and one strung slightly looser in case I founf myself "tense" in a match

Hell yeah.

I do.

Jon45189
07-15-2006, 07:08 PM
1. I use a Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus racquet. I have it strung, hybrid, with Babolat Hurricane strings and Babolat VS Natural Gut strings. It's strung at 60 lbs.

2. I have another Pure Drive Team Plus racquet, but strung with Babolat Tonic+ Natural gut strings.

3. No, I always have a friend to hit with.

4. Only in the winter time is when I go to a racquet club. Any other time, I just hit with friends.

ae wowww
07-15-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm considering changing to the Prince 03, not sure which one yet - probably the orange one.

Andy Chew
07-15-2006, 10:12 PM
I'm considering changing to the Prince 03, not sure which one yet - probably the orange one.

Be careful please. Those rackets are know to give players "weak wrist" you have to be very strong to use these rackets.

ae wowww
07-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I got given a few Dunlop 300Gs... They are very light, but I may weight them some and try them. Anyone here used them?

JJOV09
07-17-2006, 09:48 PM
1) I use a babolat pure drive team. I use the Babolat VS Natural ThermoGut 16 Touch String at 64 tension, and wilson enduro pro at 59 tension.

2) I have only one

3) If you got the money, and are really commited to tennis, go for the machine.

4) psshhh, lol

AsianSensation
07-31-2006, 12:11 AM
1) Wilson nSix-One 95. Strung with Wilson Sensation 16 at 58 lbs. I'm gonna be switching over to hybrid, Luxilon BB Alu Power mains and one of the NXT crosses.

2) Only one

3) If I was rich, sure

4) see above