Shanghai field: already pretty much decided.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Shanghai field: already pretty much decided..

ys
07-20-2002, 06:42 PM
Hewitt,Safin,Henman,Costa,Johansson

are in no matter what.

Agassi and Federer are 90% in because they are in Top 7 already
and the remainder of the season is their best surfaces,and they need something like 100-150 points to be in. Would be very surprised if they don't make it.

So, basically, all remaining field will be fighting for one last spot..

I think it is between Roddick, Haas and Nalbandyan.

Of course, one big remaining factor would be if someone else would win US Open, then it could mess things a bit and make qualification of Costa and Johansson a bit less certain. But that's very unlikely.

Leo7
07-20-2002, 07:28 PM
are we forgetting #8 Juan Carlos Ferrero? how can you give Nalbandian a better shot than him?!:mad: :fiery: :mad:

U.S. AIR FORCE
07-20-2002, 07:33 PM
I hope HAAS gets in. Roddick can sit out.

Goonergal
07-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by U.S. AIR FORCE
Roddick can sit out.

Lol!!!:p

TheBoiledEgg
07-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Tommy Haas better get in

Dissident
07-20-2002, 08:49 PM
I hope Ferrero can get another shot at it. He went pretty well last year considering it was his first time.
His season is not going great, but maybe he can sort things out, since he said himself that he grew up playing on hard courts... He has that killer forehand and that can be enough to win a lot of matches on hard courts.

All the rest is kinda right on ys post. Maybe I should get my calculator ready! lol :p

Angele
07-20-2002, 09:20 PM
I hope Andy gets in :D

Jippo McScally
07-20-2002, 10:06 PM
C'Mon Andre! :D

AtPGiRL
07-20-2002, 10:09 PM
well, if Johansson and Costa don't stay in the top 20, they aren't going to get in! I think Costa will, but I'm not too sure about TJ. I hope he doesn't though! :rolleyes:

I don't think Roddick will be there either. I think it will be
Safin
Hewitt
Federer
Haas
Costa
Ferrero
Henman
Agassi

and I'm not too sure about Agassi! :bounce:

Daniel
07-20-2002, 10:19 PM
Federer :) :) :)

Gambill_Rules
07-20-2002, 11:11 PM
I thought grandslam winners were in automatically?

Leo7
07-20-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Gambill_Rules
I thought grandslam winners were in automatically?

they have to stay in the TOP 20 in the Entry System! TJ will hopefully fall out of the TOP 20 and then will not be eligible to play in Shanghai!:D if his poor results continue, he could drop in the rankings...

tennischick
07-20-2002, 11:43 PM
i want to see Nalbandian get a chance to redeem himself for forgetting to bring his peeler to Wimbledon...:mad: altho' it would be nice for Tommy to get it since he came so close last year...;) is Grosjean out then?

ys
07-21-2002, 12:09 AM
are we forgetting #8 Juan Carlos Ferrero? how can you give Nalbandian a better shot than him?!

Check, how much points did Ferrero earn between Wimbledon and Sydney last year? Close to nothing. It is fastcourt time, time of compact swings and quick reaction. It is not a Ferrero's cup of tea. But Nalbandian is very comfortable on fast courts. I saw him last year year at USO against YK. His game is very good for fastcourts. Wimbledon is just another proof of what I knew before. We, however, do not know how Argentinian is going to play indoors. Neither of currently active Arg. players has any good results on carpet ( which kinda makes me feel better before DC semis ), but it is not that he does not have a game for carpet. But for me, Haas is odds-on favourite to get there.

Murkofan
07-21-2002, 02:29 AM
Roddick can sit out.

I agree wholeheartedly! Otherwise all the matches ESPN will show will be the ones with "A-Rod." :rolleyes:

I hope Andy gets in

Pfff, whatever Angele. :p

Pea
07-21-2002, 02:34 AM
Albert can play pretty well on hardcourt, but yikes on carpet.:o

AtPGiRL
07-21-2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Marly

I agree wholeheartedly! Otherwise all the matches ESPN will show will be the ones with "A-Rod." :rolleyes:

Well, we better hope Gagassi doesn't get in either or all we'll see are him and Roddick! :rolleyes:
Roddick doesn't stand a chance, but Andre does! C'mon Americans.... LOSE!!!!! already! :rolleyes:

Murkofan
07-21-2002, 03:58 AM
Well, we better hope Gagassi doesn't get in either or all we'll see are him and Roddick! :rolleyes:

LMAO, Sampras doesn't stand a chance! :p

Roddick doesn't stand a chance, but Andre does! C'mon Americans.... LOSE!!!!! already! :rolleyes:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
07-21-2002, 09:45 AM
anyway Zhenya will win US Open and qualify :p

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Leo - Ferrero, aside from two tournaments, has had an awful year by his standards...

many man early round losses.

I will root for him to do well on the hardcourts and indoors - but the surfaces do favour a Haas or Federer.

But maybe he will prove ys and me wrong :)

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 01:00 PM
But hey, good for Henman for finally getting there aftering being on the brink like three years in a row.

That is unless he ceases to win a match the rest of the season ;) But he is too consistent to do that.

Pea
07-21-2002, 01:06 PM
LMAO! Down with Americans!;)

Chloe le Bopper
07-21-2002, 01:08 PM
If Roddick makes the feild over Ferrero I will cry

On second thought, I will just root for Hewitt and hope that they play early on ;)

Williams Rulez
07-21-2002, 02:21 PM
C'mon Andre... you better make sure you qualify... :D

Goonergal
07-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Rebecca
That is unless he ceases to win a match the rest of the season ;)

Oh if only...........;)

TennisHack
07-22-2002, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Rebecca
If Roddick makes the feild over Ferrero I will cry

I highly doubt Roddick will make the top 8. Agassi, maybe. Roddick? Only if he wins the US Open.